HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Waiting for a prospect to physically / emotionally mature I agree exists but “Development” is the ultimate BS red herring - if it existed anyone could convert chicken shit to chicken salad.

Zadina wasn’t a bust because of poor development - he simply doesn’t possess elite hunger to do whatever it takes to be successful & he likely never did
I agree with you. No development team can turn chicken shit into chicken salad. But that is not what is required. A development team is in place to help the talent achieve their full potential. So a prospect deemed to hit 40 goals makes it and doesn't stall at 25 or 30.

Reactions: bsl

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I agree with you. No development team can turn chicken shit into chicken salad. But that is not what is required. A development team is in place to help the talent achieve their full potential. So a prospect deemed to hit 40 goals makes it and doesn't stall at 25 or 30.

It's also about properly recognizing who has the talent, so your team doesn't trade a 20 year-old Ryan McDonagh because one person thought he was unimpressive at the WJCs, or keep Tinordi on the bench for a year while you play Bryan Allen.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
First time in a while that i fell we should not be trading anything anymore.

Top 12 next year will be top 10 NHL level.
CC-Suzuki-Slaf
Laine-Dach-Demidov
Newhook-Hage-Roy
Kapanen-Beck-Florian

Top 6 D in the top 10 NHL level as well.
Hutson-Reinbacher
Matheson-Guhle
Wifi-Mailloux

Depth , we got plenty good ones, Mesar, Heinemen, Engstrom, Koivu, Farrell, 2025 first pick.

Goalies ? Fowler as to pan out in 2 years top otherwise that would be the only weak link.

Who in the hell would you want to move out and bring in ???
When my managaer ask me to take care of a junior. I can. It takes a lot of my time tondo it well. It is for the future. More than one 3 i cant work anymore. Bringing so much youth is dangerous. We need some veterans (that don’t cost 6.5)

Reactions: waitin425

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
The Red Wings got one of the league’s deepest pipelines in terms of prospects. They were literally a playoff team already last season. I wouldn’t write-off Yzerman this easily.

A few of those prospects graduate, you give them time to mature and Detroit will be good for many years.
Explain o_O

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Gally will hurt himself and be out of the game like Price.
Andy will be traded for a contender for a 5th or a 2nd with retention.
Savard as well, gone a the dead line for a high 2nd or late 2nd and a 4th .
Evans might be still in the lineup, we'll see.
Armia out, traded or not resigned
Dvorak traded at the deadline for a late 3rd

Seems like is our next Wyatt Johnston , he should make the team next year
No chance Hage makes the team next year and why would a contender trade for Anderson

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
When my managaer ask me to take care of a junior. I can. It takes a lot of my time tondo it well. It is for the future. More than one 3 i cant work anymore. Bringing so much youth is dangerous. We need some veterans (that don’t cost 6.5)
Agreed.

Zero chance we have Rookies in Demidov, Hage, Beck, Florian, Kapanen and Reinbacher/Mailloux (either may still qualify as rookies next year) all playing up.

I don't think a team has ever had 6/7 rookies in their roster at one time. 2 is pushing it, and we have that this year with Roy and Hutson to start.

We may be top 10 in those categories for other reasons, but with that many rookies we sure as hell wouldn't be.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
2022-2023 Habs almost did with Slaf, Ghule, Xhekaj, Kovacevic, Harris.
Wow....you are right. We still sucked though. Not sure I want to run that next year. I think we ease those guys into the lineup. Hage, Florian and one of Beck/Kapanen will probably not be there.

Bring them in 26/27

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Wow....you are right. We still sucked though. Not sure I want to run that next year. I think we ease those guys into the lineup. Hage, Florian and one of Beck/Kapanen will probably not be there.

Bring them in 26/27
The issue here is that the Habs have too many UFA this season (6 of them) and you want the kids to get some reps in the NHL before they have to fill those shoes to see if they can do it.

But the most likely outcomes is that Hughes will have to do expensive trades and sign expensive UFAs to fill in the holes next off-season. Because middle 6 center and 1st or 2nd pair defensive RHD aren't exactly small holes...

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
For sure bringing too many young guys in at the same time can become problematic and it's one of the big challenges Hughes will face, how to integrate so much youth, especially on D.

At forward I don't think we have much issues, guys like Caufield will have what about 5 years of NHL experience after this year so even if that doesn't qualify for some people's definition of a vet, it's still enough that he can be helping integrate the rookies. You don't need to be 30+ to take in a rookie, Laine was helping Fantilli out last year as an example. So we can more easily bring in and properly insulate young guys.

At D, that's where it's a real challenge not least because it requires so much more experience. The old maxim of needing 200 NHL games to get a read on whether a D will make it or not holds some truth, and even after this year none of our young guys on D will have hit that 200 game mark, though they will be getting close. And with so many important prospects it's going to be tough to put them all in positions where they can succeed while being properly sheltered.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

DrBizz4r3

Oct 5, 2020
I seem to be fixed on him, but Shea Theodore plays on his offside since 2019 (Lefty but RD on first/second pair and right side on pp). I believe he is the best option and Vegas are in trouble with capspace

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
First time in a while that i fell we should not be trading anything anymore.

Top 12 next year will be top 10 NHL level.
CC-Suzuki-Slaf
Laine-Dach-Demidov
Newhook-Hage-Roy
Kapanen-Beck-Florian

Top 6 D in the top 10 NHL level as well.
Hutson-Reinbacher
Matheson-Guhle
Wifi-Mailloux

Depth , we got plenty good ones, Mesar, Heinemen, Engstrom, Koivu, Farrell, 2025 first pick.

Goalies ? Fowler as to pan out in 2 years top otherwise that would be the only weak link.

Who in the hell would you want to move out and bring in ???
I think we have to let the year play out to see where the needs are. There’s a few players retuning from injury and several more just getting started.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
No idea how to read that list.
If I am reading it right Ekblad looks like the only possibility.
1000009315.jpg

Includes some RFAs, like Bouchard, Dobson, but that's a whole lot of nothing.

Habs to get a good RD is through trade and you're likely looking at Reinbacher being part of the package for a guy like Seider, or potentially Bouchard/Dobson next year. That's also just the RD without a contract.

If the Habs did swing big for Bouchard they could put Hutson in that deal, but those are big time deals.

Reactions: Gustave

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
2022-2023 Habs almost did with Slaf, Ghule, Xhekaj, Kovacevic, Harris.
How soon they forget 4 Dmen to boot.
Fitting in a couple of forwards on the bottom six is far easier than that.
We need one of Reinbacher or Mailloux to graduate this season at some point.
The glut of youth will almost certainly force HuGo to act sooner than later.
Particularly if the kids are as far along as some think they are.
This is not a Playoff team this is team still in development.

Reactions: morhilane

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
View attachment 905038

Includes some RFAs, like Bouchard, Dobson, but that's a whole lot of nothing.

Habs to get a good RD is through trade and you're likely looking at Reinbacher being part of the package for a guy like Seider, or potentially Bouchard/Dobson next year. That's also just the RD without a contract.

If the Habs did swing big for Bouchard they could put Hutson in that deal, but those are big time deals.
Savard might need to stay.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Kent will have a hard decision. At the same, it would be great for us. If Dach keep being a injury prone player. Do you consider trading him also?
How does it make sense to trade your established YOUNG players because you have shiny new toys?

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
How does it make sense to trade your established YOUNG players because you have shiny new toys?

Because the shiny new and young toy will need a place in the top 6? Where do you expect the first overall pick to play in Montreal? In the third line?

Like i said, what you do with Caufield if Laine outperform him in the next 2 years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad