HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
View attachment 905038

Includes some RFAs, like Bouchard, Dobson, but that's a whole lot of nothing.

Habs to get a good RD is through trade and you're likely looking at Reinbacher being part of the package for a guy like Seider, or potentially Bouchard/Dobson next year. That's also just the RD without a contract.

If the Habs did swing big for Bouchard they could put Hutson in that deal, but those are big time deals.
Jesus how bad is the RD pool in the NHL? I’ve been perusing the potential targets and it’s a sad collection honestly. Not hard to understand why all three top rated RD went before any and all top rated LD this draft (last three drafts if you want to extend your research).

We’ll have to pay to get a good one for the long term. This is where I’m ok with « losing » the trade to make one. Let’s see if Hugo can prevail and go where MB refused to when getting the needed position ( C in MB’s days) to prop up the team.

When a David Savard is a top option even at this point in his career, you know the RD pool is terrible league wide.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Jesus how bad is the RD pool in the NHL? I’ve been perusing the potential targets and it’s a sad collection honestly. Not hard to understand why all three top rated RD went before any and all top rated LD this draft (last three drafts if you want to extend your research).

We’ll have to pay to get a good one for the long term. This is where I’m ok with « losing » the trade to make one. Let’s see if Hugo can prevail and go where MB refused to when getting the needed position ( C in MB’s days) to prop up the team.

When a David Savard is a top option even at this point in his career, you know the RD pool is terrible league wide.
Most of us are right handed and learn to shoot left when holding a hockey stick. It's just natural. There are exceptions where right handed people shoot right. It's rare. Why would NHL players be any different. RDs have always been a hot commodity in the NHL, along with tall physical centers and generational goalies.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Trading Caufield is definitely a possibility. We can't fall in love with our players. The goal is a cup.
What? Why?

Probably going to have to overpay to get stud right D. I like Bouchard. He's big, mobile, high offensive, plays better under pressure and from here.

Sunfyre

Aug 16, 2023
What? Why?

Probably going to have to overpay to get stud right D. I like Bouchard. He's big, mobile, high offensive, plays better under pressure and from here.
Bouchard is resigning with Edm, so 0 chance. Doubt Hugo would be even interested. Paying him 10+ mil for his questionable defence and his offensive numbers won’t be anywhere close to last seasons when not playing on that Edmontons overpowered 1PP. He’s just a slightly better, younger, RD version of Mike Matheson with similar flaws

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bouchard is resigning with Edm, so 0 chance. Doubt Hugo would be even interested. Paying him 10+ mil for his questionable defence and his offensive numbers won’t be anywhere close to last seasons when not playing on that Edmontons overpowered 1PP. He’s just a slightly better, younger, RD version of Mike Matheson with similar flaws

Yup, lots of fans pumping up Bouchard and his padded stats by playing on a stacked PP. Make no mistake, he's young and improving and playing well but I see it being overblown.

Bouchard is not a complete Dman. Certainly a solid top 4D who is still maturing but he's not a top pairing stud. You put him on the Habs last season and the results are night and day difference. Bouchard has lots to learn to provide steady D. He still has lots of time to improve in that area but today, he is not the star on D some fans think he is.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Maybe I'm not seeing what other posters here see, but to this writer, Bouchard is far from being mobile. In fact, it was Bouchard's lack of mobility that was so devastatingly exploited by Florida during the finals last year. The efforts to compare Bouchard to Matheson is really off base. I can't think of two defenceman who are more dissimilar. One (Matheson) whose game is built around his elite skating ability and the other (Bouchard) around his elite offensive vision and skill. If we could marry Bouchard's skill set to Matheson's skating, we would have another Makar.

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
Most of us are right handed and learn to shoot left when holding a hockey stick. It's just natural. There are exceptions where right handed people shoot right. It's rare. Why would NHL players be any different. RDs have always been a hot commodity in the NHL, along with tall physical centers and generational goalies.
Too bad I'm 49 I'd be a commodity 😁
I'm a natural right handed person and shoot right with the stick.

I also throw with the right but used to bat both sides when playing ball in my teens.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Maybe I'm not seeing what other posters here see, but to this writer, Bouchard is far from being mobile. In fact, it was Bouchard's lack of mobility that was so devastatingly exploited by Florida during the finals last year. The efforts to compare Bouchard to Matheson is really off base. I can't think of two defenceman who are more dissimilar. One (Matheson) whose game is built around his elite skating ability and the other (Bouchard) around his elite offensive vision and skill. If we could marry Bouchard's skill set to Matheson's skating, we would have another Makar.
Except Makar is also very solid defensively where the other two aren't. Makar is the best defenseman on the planet

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Like i said, what you do with Caufield if Laine outperform him in the next 2 years?
Laine scores 50 and Cole just 40 each season, I do nothing just enjoy the ride and extend Laine :)
We will need to go the trade route to get a solid top 4 RHD. That's ok, we have a lot of ammo to get a trade done.
First, they want to see how good Barron, Mailloux and Reinbacher are before making any big trade for RHD. And we still have Guhle or Engstrom among our young Ds who can play right side effectively.
I do not understand the hate on Barron if you consider how weak RHD group is in the league overall. There are just 5 defensemen in whole league who are U24 and played more games last year: Schneider, Faber, Seider, Spence, Nemec.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
1725547811731.png

Should we try to get him ?
He ad a great year in the AHL,
6,4 , 23 years old
Could fit on our 3rd line or 4th ?

Florian-Beck-Lavoie ??

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Beck and our first if +/- top 10 as a base for Andersson, yay or nay ?
I think Beck is one of those untouchable players right now. He's a position of need moving forward with Dvo and Evans being UFA's and young and cheap. More likely to see another prospect or pick(s) as Flames are rebuilding, maybe trade them back their 1st?

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Funny enough I'm left handed and shoot right.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
As a big big R.Andersson's fan, not this summer. You don't take that kind of risk for a player you are not sure you will extend long term.

Now next summer, i would do Beck + Habs 2026 1st for Andersson if he comes with an extension.

If the trade happens this summer, Matheson as to go the other way with a B prospect of their choice. Mesar, Barron, Kapanen, Struble, Engstrom kinda prospect. Maybe add a 2nd or 3rd pick.

Habs can't afford to trade a future core assets for a guy with contract uncertainty going forard.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Probably no. May throw ton of money at Andersson though if he reaches UFA. He's quality veteran for our youth but Beck I don't want to part with. Our first I like to keep also. Having good young players on ELC going to be important on cup contender. Lets us Carry another star

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Obviously you want him for free as a UFA....
but what would be your BEST offer for Crosby, knowing he will sign extension?

Would be a perfect fit moving forward.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Bit of loaded question. Obviously love to have Crosby but no way Pitt trades him. Some of it according to what they want? At deadline if Pitt out of playoff picture and we in playoff race. Crosby wants to play for a Cup? Probably Mesar, Miami first, Struble?

Reactions: Expos94

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
me too. It's the rest of you that are weird.
:laugh:
I've had this friendly argument many times with fellow righty hockey players. why the hell wouldn't i want to place my stronger left hand and arm closer to the blade?

As a right handed person, shooting left with a stick I can relate.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Konyushkov or Barron, Kapanen or Mesar, CGY/FLA 1st, CLB 2nd.

That's if the team is confident in making the playoffs. Sid wouldn't join otherwise I think.

Edit: With a good roster player: Newhook + CGY/FLA 1st, Habs 2nd ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Destopcorner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad