HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I hope you’re correct. This has a Bergevin-like smell to it.
If Colorado, Toronto and Montreal are the only ones interested his best chance of making a team is with Montreal. I doubt Hughes is interested enough to offer a contract up front though.

Too old for what ? You need vets for your team too, can't all just be players of the same age.
Habs have Savard and Matheson. Don't really need more on d unless they move one of them.

Reactions: calder candidate

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If Colorado, Toronto and Montreal are the only ones interested his best chance of making a team is with Montreal. I doubt Hughes is interested enough to offer a contract.

Habs have Savard and Matheson. Don't really need more on d unless they move one of them.
I'd actually think it's Toronto, particularly if the acquiesce to Robertson's demands for a trade. They're depth is in short supply and they could use cheap contracts.

Montreal is full of roster players and prospects and Colorado has more depth.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If Colorado, Toronto and Montreal are the only ones interested his best chance of making a team is with Montreal. I doubt Hughes is interested enough to offer a contract up front though.

Matheson needs to go as the Habs have 4 LDs ready for the NHL, there is only one RD ready right now and it's Savard.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't want Crosby anywhere near the Habs. He's a generational talent, and a first ballot hall of famer, but this is Nick's team. The management team is building something special here, and I'm not interested in a last-gasp swing for another cup by a guy I've spent the last 20 years cheering against. Don't need him, don't want him. The clowns in here talking about taking on Letang's contract in order to get Crosby are out of their minds. Letang is USELESS to us. We'd be stuck with his boat anchor contract with no guarantees he doesn't just retire and leave us holding the bag instead of Pittsburgh. They're the ones that signed him to that monstrosity, let them be the ones to deal with it.

I don't think there is anything to suggest that Crosby would come in and disrupt the room the way messier did in Vancouver. He doesn't seem to be that type of person.

In the Longshot scenario where he joins the Habs at the end of his career, I think he would just be in it for the experience, and then he would call it a career. Much like when Andy moog joined the Habs for his final season. He said he wanted the "Montreal experience". It didn't matter to him that he was sharing the net with Thibault.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Too old for what ? You need vets for your team too, can't all just be players of the same age.
I actually though he was UFA in 2026 like Andersson, so he would have been 33. My mistake

All depends how many years he wants, but yes we should offer him a contract offer

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The guy played a full season on the Sharks roster. Everyone on that team that played a significant amount of the season had a bad +/- ! They were a historically bad team.

To be fair to Zadina, this was the Sharks +/-:

Eklund: -45
Zadina: - 44
Burroughs: - 42
Ferraro: -38
Addison: -35
Zetterlund: -34
Kunin: -30
Labanc: -27
Vlasic: -27
Hertl: -26
Sturm: -25
Barabanov: -24

I can keep going, but I'll just be listing the entire roster who were minus players. Some of those players played more and others played less.

Zadina was also 6th in scoring on the Sharks.
Getting a bad +/- on a bad team is expected, but doing it with 13 minutes of ice time is significantly worse. Yes Eklund was -45, but he played over 5 minutes more a game as he was one of their most used forwards. I don't see it as the same, a guy like Eklund will be facing harder competition, playing harder minutes, and out there for empty net situations a lot more frequently. We all know how badly Hoffman sucks, but with the same ice time he's -21 compared to Zadina's -44. There's zero reason to add Zadina even as a PTO.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'd also overpay for Parayko, feel like we had this convo 2 months ago
Yes we did. I'd pay a hefty amount for him for sure but I think the Blues are not really into the rebuilding business.

If we could find a way to swap Matheson+ for Parayko it would be a perfect world but it is not a perfect world and I'm unsure if they would be willing to do this. Especially with Krug there.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Getting a bad +/- on a bad team is expected, but doing it with 13 minutes of ice time is significantly worse. Yes Eklund was -45, but he played over 5 minutes more a game as he was one of their most used forwards. I don't see it as the same, a guy like Eklund will be facing harder competition, playing harder minutes, and out there for empty net situations a lot more frequently. We all know how badly Hoffman sucks, but with the same ice time he's -21 compared to Zadina's -44. There's zero reason to add Zadina if it was just a PTO.
And he did it with 8 less games, which amounted to about 500 less minutes of ice time.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I actually though he was UFA in 2026 like Andersson, so he would have been 33. My mistake

All depends how many years he wants, but yes we should offer him a contract offer
He's made 4 millions all his life, I would expect he asks for a small raise but nothing crazy. 6x5 or something. It's totally manageable.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think this will be a situation to monitor moving forward because I see a lot of fans focusing on Suzuki and under with our core and everyone older should be traded. I think not! Teams that win needs vets and there will be players in their 30's on our roster.

Imagine how many fans will flip out if we extend Savard?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think this will be a situation to monitor moving forward because I see a lot of fans focusing on Suzuki and under with our core and everyone older should be traded. I think not! Teams that win needs vets and there will be players in their 30's on our roster.

Imagine how many fans will flip out if we extend Savard?
I would love to extend Savard. He'll settle in perfectly as a good vet on the 3rd pairing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would love to extend Savard. He'll settle in perfectly as a good vet on the 3rd pairing.

It might happen. And even if he is not 3rd pairing (back half of whatever term he gets), he would still be a good depth/vet player to have around.

One thing that I ponder is who Hutson fits well with. The 3 pairings below come to mind. But if we end up putting Guhle with Reinbacher and let Savard go, what options do we have for Hutson? Savard and Hutson could stick for years if Savard says. Interesting to ponder what Hughes/MSL does.

Hutson / Savard
Hutson / Reinbacher
Hutson / Xhekaj

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
It may sound crazy but the guy I would target for the defense - Luke Schenn.

Why? - He’s a physical, stay at home veteran that’s going to play hardnosed hockey, and a guy who can both act as a mentor and take some of the fighting matchups away from Xhekaj.

He’s kind of an extra defenseman in Nashville so I doubt he’d be very expensive. Seems like he’d be an excellent fit for Lane Hutson, serving as a mentor/babysitter/bodyguard all in one.

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Hutson - Schenn

Reactions: Habs10Habs

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
If we could find a way to swap Matheson+ for Parayko it would be a perfect world but it is not a perfect world and I'm unsure if they would be willing to do this. Especially with Krug there.
Krug might be heading to LTIRetirement soon. Back in early July they announced he'll do 6-8 weeks of conservative rehab on his ankle to determine if surgery is needed which is pretty ominous. I don't think it would happen in-season but if the Krug stuff lingers into next summer it's plausible we could work something out with Matheson. I think the Broberg offer sheet is a pretty clear sign they're not optimistic about Krug's long term health and their other LDs are Leddy and Suter.

Genuinely still can't believe that they nickle and dimed Pietrangelo just to hand out 13M combined to Faulk and Krug. The mind boggles.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It might happen. And even if he is not 3rd pairing (back half of whatever term he gets), he would still be a good depth/vet player to have around.

One thing that I ponder is who Hutson fits well with. The 3 pairings below come to mind. But if we end up putting Guhle with Reinbacher and let Savard go, what options do we have for Hutson? Savard and Hutson could stick for years if Savard says. Interesting to ponder what Hughes/MSL does.

Hutson / Savard
Hutson / Reinbacher
Hutson / Xhekaj
Reinbacher and Hutson should be as far from each other as possible. Reinbacher pushes the play a lot, they're going to get burned at 5V5. Reinbacher and Guhle are pretty much tailormade for each other.

Hutson needs a stabilizing force, a Guhle if you will. Larsson could fill that role pretty well, so could Parayko. On the Habs it's Savard, but not for more than the next two seasons. Xhekaj also pushes the play a lot but not as much as Reinbacher, he'd be my second choice in the organisation.
It may sound crazy but the guy I would target for the defense - Luke Schenn.

Why? - He’s a physical, stay at home veteran that’s going to play hardnosed hockey, and a guy who can both act as a mentor and take some of the fighting matchups away from Xhekaj.

He’s kind of an extra defenseman in Nashville so I doubt he’d be very expensive. Seems like he’d be an excellent fit for Lane Hutson, serving as a mentor/babysitter/bodyguard all in one.

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Hutson - Schenn
Schenn is also terrible and all the options we have are better than him.
Krug might be heading to LTIRetirement soon. Back in early July they announced he'll do 6-8 weeks of conservative rehab on his ankle to determine if surgery is needed which is pretty ominous. I don't think it would happen in-season but if the Krug stuff lingers into next summer it's plausible we could work something out with Matheson.
If he does then Matheson becomes realllllly appealing to them, I figure. Matheson and Mailloux for Parayko and some change ?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

I actually think Montreal's the team he has the worst chance of making.

Lets start by acknowledging that Zadina is bad defensively and is unlikely to be suited to a 4th line role on any team in the NHL.

Toronto's current line projections (Robertson may be signed, but he wants out of Toronto):

1724861683798.png

Colorado's current line projections (with Landeskog expected to be back at some point):

1724861767409.png

Toronto and Colorado are much better teams than Montreal, but even if you assume Roy is headed for Laval, I'd bet that Zadina passing McMann/Holmberg or Kovalenko/Wood/O'Connor is more likely than him passing who Montreal will have on their 3rd line.

Both Toronto and Colorado can also better afford to gamble on an offensive oriented guy on the 3rd line because they've got better two way guys in their top 6.

Reactions: Jaynki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad