HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
In the Laine trade, Hughes should have target Olivier instead of that 2rd pick.

Harris vs Laine + Olivier

That would have fill a bigger needs than another pick.

The value of the 2026 pick is that it's liquid capital for trades up until that time, to adjust trade offers.

You also can't assume that the Blue Jackets didn't want to keep Olivier.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

For all we know, maybe Hughes asked for Olivier, but Waddell might have said no.

But in truth, the 2nd round pick could come more in handy because they can use that in a trade. The fact it's a 2026 draft pick could be an asset they can use when Habs potentially start becoming buyers.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

A 4th line enforcer type is a bigger need for Montreal than what could be a very high second rounder? If they really wanted a physical 4th liner, they could have signed Blais and can still sign Martin and/or Clutterbuck.

I don't think they view a physical 4th liner a need. I'm not even sure they plan to play Pezzetta that much this season if everyone is healthy.

Reactions: Intangir and vokiel

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
A 4th line enforcer type is a bigger need for Montreal than what could be a very high second rounder? If they really wanted a physical 4th liner, they could have signed Blais and can still sign Martin and/or Clutterbuck.

I don't think they view a physical 4th liner a need. I'm not even sure they plan to play Pezzetta that much this season if everyone is healthy.

Well if you look at past stanley cup winners, having a tough fourth line that can play is a need. And we don’t have that yet. And we probably haven’t had one of these in the last 15 years.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Well if you look at past stanley cup winners, having a tough fourth line that can play is a need. And we don’t have that yet. And we probably haven’t had one of these in the last 15 years.

Olivier is a UFA in a year, I don't think Montreal needs to emulate a contender's 4th line this year. But if the concern is getting 4th liners of a past cup winner, Okposo and Cousins are available to sign right now.

Reactions: salbutera

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I would do Barron + 3rd for Fabbro pretty easily

Looks like Fabbro will be the #7 in Nashville and he deserves to be an every day player. Barron is well suited for a #7 role as he has to stay in the NHL all season but doesn't deserve to play every game.

Fabbro would be useful for us as a RHD who is actually good at defense while we wait for Reinbacher to arrive. He could create a steady short term pairing with Matheson or Hutson when the time comes

Regardless, I think the top priority should be adding a D who is actually good at defense. Someone better than Fabbro would be ideal. Right now the only defensemen on our roster good at D are Savard and Guhle - I have hopes for Struble and Xhekaj but right now they are clearly below league average defensively

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Looks like Fabbro will be the #7 in Nashville and he deserves to be an every day player. Barron is well suited for a #7 role as he has to stay in the NHL all season but doesn't deserve to play every game.

Fabbro would be useful for us as a RHD who is actually good at defense while we wait for Reinbacher to arrive. He could create a steady short term pairing with Matheson or Hutson when the time comes

Regardless, I think the top priority should be adding a D who is actually good at defense. Someone better than Fabbro would be ideal. Right now the only defensemen on our roster good at D are Savard and Guhle - I have hopes for Struble and Xhekaj but right now they are clearly below league average defensively
No thanks.

Wouldn't touch that 1:1, let alone add a pick (& I liked the idea of Fabbro as a depth RD add before we locked up cap space in Laine).

Barron was arguably as effective last year, costs less, and at this stage of their respective careers, has a higher ceiling. Hard pass

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
No thanks.

Wouldn't touch that 1:1, let alone add a pick (& I liked the idea of Fabbro as a depth RD add before we locked up cap space in Laine).

Barron was arguably as effective last year, costs less, and at this stage of their respective careers, has a higher ceiling. Hard pass
Barron is no exaggeration one of the worst defensemen I've ever seen in his own end, it is painful to watch. Zero stick work, zero physicality, he just doesn't have the intensity. He has decent positioning because he knows how to fake playing defense, every play he slowly coasts to where the puck is going but makes no attempt to disrupt the play. I don't want to gift this guy a spot just because he's right handed.

• Wow
Reactions: the

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Barron is no exaggeration one of the worst defensemen I've ever seen in his own end, it is painful to watch. Zero stick work, zero physicality, he just doesn't have the intensity. He has decent positioning because he knows how to fake playing defense, every play he slowly coasts to where the puck is going but makes no attempt to disrupt the play. I don't want to gift this guy a spot just because he's right handed.
Most players now seem to do that. They all coast to the puck and usually let the opposition get it.

Last edited:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
He'll be 32 soon. It's not that old.
He'd only be a temporary fix to help transition guys like Mailloux and Reinbacher anyway.

I agree that he'd be a good candidate to play with Hutson. Savard can manage on the top 4 but is more of a 3rd pair guy.
Habs need another good top4 RD vet to stabilize their D if they want to make the playoffs. It's the last blatant hole that they have.

I think Seattle would rather keep Larsson at least until the TDL but they might not have a choice. They need to clear cap space.
32 is old for a NHL player usually near the end of his prime or even past their prime… plus the cost to acquire him…

Reactions: mdk

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Watch Erik Karlsson in his own end.....................now that guy is bad in his own end, and he has played for how many years??? Pure Trainwreck....

Barron will be fine.........the kid is 22.............................career just beginning.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Massive exaggeration imo.

I think you misread hesitation due to confidence issues as a lack of intensity. His game is all about positioning, skating and strong puck movement. He'll never be a bully or a forceful physical presence, that's not his game nor does it need to be for him to hit his ceiling.

Certainly, if he isn't able to overcome the hesitation & over thinking, he'll remain a depth NHLer (not unlike what Fabbro still is despite 300 NHL games)... But at the 94 game mark, its reasonable to expect his confidence to continue growing, and with it, the assertiveness that will allow him to use his impressive tools more effectively & consistently.

Ironically, it's being a RD that has got Fabbro 300 games in the NHL despite his uneven and inconsistent play this far... We're he a LD I'm not sure he'd have been given as much opportunity as he's had.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Yes we did. I'd pay a hefty amount for him for sure but I think the Blues are not really into the rebuilding business.

If we could find a way to swap Matheson+ for Parayko it would be a perfect world but it is not a perfect world and I'm unsure if they would be willing to do this. Especially with Krug there.
You are not getting parayko end of story.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
32 is old for a NHL player usually near the end of his prime or even past their prime… plus the cost to acquire him…
It'd be only for this season, or at least until the TDL if they're out of it by then.
Or course, it always depends on acquisition cost.
Larsson is UFA at the end of the season. They can't expect the moon for him.
The candidate for me in a trade like this is Barron. There's always the risk of Larsson getting injured before the TDL but it's one i'd be willing to take.

I think the Kraken will try to trade guys like Gourde or Tanev and keep Larsson until the TDL.
So it's likely not going to happen anyway.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
If Sid leaves Pitt, there's a more than good chance he picks Montreal...

I'm sure Dubas will be trying to retool fast enough to ice a competitive roster for Sid's last contract. But if Jarry continues to flame out, it's hard to see them have anything but a lottery team the next few seasons. Too many holes and too many bloated contracts.

By 26-27, we'll be a top ten roster without him, and potentially the cap room to make it work. Not sure there would be much reason to add him before that as the futures it would take are the very asset ammunition you'd want to have on hand to really bolster the cup contention window he'd be signing on to join.

Next summer, maybe a deal around some young assets we don't have room for + a cap dump & 1 first?

Anderson, Strubble, Mesar, Heineman/Farrell, Flames 1st.

Some teams would offer more, but if Sid wants Mtl I could see the Pens honouring him and accepting a quantity deal like that...

Slaf - Suzuki - CC
Laine - Crosby - Demidov
Roy - Dach - Newhook
Xhekaj - Beck - Gally

:m-dance:
In what world does Crosby become a 2nd C on the Habs? I love Suzuki and believe he'll be a PPG player someday but this is Crosby you are talking about. Crosby, although older and declining is still instantly our best forward. We are projecting/hoping Suzuki becomes a PPG, Crosby is still a PPG now.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
In what world does Crosby become a 2nd C on the Habs? I love Suzuki and believe he'll be a PPG player someday but this is Crosby you are talking about. Crosby, although older and declining is still instantly our best forward. We are projecting/hoping Suzuki becomes a PPG, Crosby is still a PPG now.
Laine - Crosby - Demidov
Slaf - Suzuki - CC
Roy - Dach - Newhook
Xhekaj - Beck - Gally

Happy?

Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Preds would never trade Fabbro for a waiver fodder dman and a 3rd, they can get better easily.

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
What's with Fabbro getting so overrated lately? The guy averaged less than 17 mins of TOI last year and never topped 20 mins in a season. The guy is another Schlemko. Only thing noteworthy about him is his draft pedigree.

No kidding.

Barron is already not far from Fabbro. Lmao.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I still consider converting Arber to our 4th line F the ideal evolution. Add Florian and Tuch - that a tough 4th line to handle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad