HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
We're going to have to make a decision on some of the young guys eventually. Use them as trade pieces to fill other areas of need, like Harris. They won't want to be practice players or AHL'ers for life.
Agreed. But let me ask you this. If they’re doing well and progressing, would you trade one of them or Savard?

And on the flip side, if you traded one of the young players, wouldn’t the Habs be better off acquiring a younger, better RD then they traded for, and better than Savard?

In my mind, no matter the option, Savard won’t have a place on this team after the TDL. Whether he’s replaced by a kid or a better version of him, he’s gone.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
But there will be too many D’s and someone will have to go unless you carry 9 D. Guhle, Mathews, Hutson, Xhekaj, Struble, Reinbacher, Barron, Mailloux, and Savard. It’s not tenable once kids force their way into the lineup.
There's too many Ds on the left, not the right. At most there's 4 bodies on the right, there's 7 on the left.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I guess it depends on what the trade partner wants. If we are wanting to get a better, younger RD, then they'll definitely won't want an older player. I think the only locks right now in terms of young guys moving forward are Guhle, Reinbacher and Hutson. Mailloux is trying to get into that category, Arber has two years to prove he's an everyday NHL'er, Struble looks like he could be an everyday 3rd pairing guy, then there's Engstorm who's a RD and could surprise. Still some time to figure it out but eventually it will have to. Can't have all young guys and expect success imo.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
There's too many Ds on the left, not the right. At most there's 4 bodies on the right, there's 7 on the left.
There are only 3 spots.

With so many LD, multiple of which can play the right side, you’d think the 7th D would be a LD.

So again, not enough spots. This is becoming a very circular argument.

I guess it depends on what the trade partner wants. If we are wanting to get a better, younger RD, then they'll definitely won't want an older player. I think the only locks right now in terms of young guys moving forward are Guhle, Reinbacher and Hutson. Mailloux is trying to get into that category, Arber has two years to prove he's an everyday NHL'er, Struble looks like he could be an everyday 3rd pairing guy, then there's Engstorm who's a RD and could surprise. Still some time to figure it out but eventually it will have to. Can't have all young guys and expect success imo.
They have until the TDL or sooner if I decide what to do. But I’d be absolutely shocked if Savard wasn’t moved. Even more shocked and a little posses if he’s re-signed.

Reactions: Deebs

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
There are only 3 spots.

With so many LD, multiple of which can play the right side, you’d think the 7th D would be a LD.

So again, not enough spots. This is becoming a very circular argument.
If they are out of playoff contention they should trade him and then consider signing him for next season if he wants to come back.

If they are in playoff contention he should be kept as veteran depth.

Reactions: B1g B1rd

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If you re-sign Savard and have Reinbacher and Mailloux on the right side, what happens to Barron?

You already have Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj, and Struble on the left side so what else is there to do with Barron other than trade him?
Teams are allowed to have more than 3 RHD.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
We're going to have to make a decision on some of the young guys eventually. Use them as trade pieces to fill other areas of need, like Harris. They won't want to be practice players or AHL'ers for life.
A lot of players have little more than half a season to prove they are ready, not just the defensemen either.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The competition for the Habs' top-4 D is not the same as the competition for the Habs' 3rd pairing, as the team is unlikely to keep a legitimate top-4 on the third pair. That's inefficient use of cap space, and also players that are good enough for the top-4 will want top-4 time.

Savard, Struble, Xhekaj, Engstrom, Trudeau are competing for the third pairing spot. The other dmen are top-4 or bust or trade.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
A lot of players have little more than half a season to prove they are ready, not just the defensemen either.
Absolutely, it's just the D is what was being discussed at the time. I think we're in a little bit of a tough spot with our bottom 6 for another couple years unless the magician can work some more magic. :)

Reactions: Sterling Archer

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Correct but you can only play 3 RD at a time. Who sits and are the Habs going to carry 9D?
On a good team, sometimes the 7th D on a healthy roster is a decent player. Nice problem to have.

However, I highly doubt they will carry 9D.

They can trade NHL calibre defencemen for value, like they did with Harris and Romanov. Trading does not equal sacrificing.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
On a good team, sometimes the 7th D on a healthy roster is a decent player. Nice problem to have.

However, I highly doubt they will carry 9D.

They can trade NHL calibre defencemen for value, like they did with Harris and Romanov. Trading does not equal sacrificing.
You seem to have missed my point that I made in multiple posts.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
The competition for the Habs' top-4 D is not the same as the competition for the Habs' 3rd pairing, as the team is unlikely to keep a legitimate top-4 on the third pair. That's inefficient use of cap space, and also players that are good enough for the top-4 will want top-4 time.

Savard, Struble, Xhekaj, Engstrom, Trudeau are competing for the third pairing spot. The other dmen are top-4 or bust or trade.
Xhekaj is a lock to me on our 3rd pair . So only 2 spots left for the #6 and#7 D.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You seem to have missed my point that I made in multiple posts.
Your point seems to be that unless we trade Savard, we will have to trade Barron. OK, but what does that mean? Is it even true?

Even if we do trade Barron, that does not have to be a sacrifice. Unless Barron flops, there will likely be value coming back.

Or maybe Mailloux gets moved for a Dach-calibre player.

Or maybe Reinbacher is traded for a Michkov-level player.

Or maybe Savard is kept a few months until someone gives us a first for him.

Or maybe Savard is re-upped for 1 year at $2M.

I did understand your point, but your conclusion is not the only one possible.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Armia gonna have his usual big season being UFA…a 1st is possible. Savard too, unless he slows down even more.
I expect us to be in the realm of a playoff spot but not close enough to hold onto our UFAs.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Your point seems to be that unless we trade Savard, we will have to trade Barron. OK, but what does that mean? Is it even true?

Even if we do trade Barron, that does not have to be a sacrifice. Unless Barron flops, there will likely be value coming back.

Or maybe Mailloux gets moved for a Dach-calibre player.

Or maybe Reinbacher is traded for a Michkov-level player.

Or maybe Savard is kept a few months until someone gives us a first for him.

Or maybe Savard is re-upped for 1 year at $2M.

I did understand your point, but your conclusion is not the only one possible.
Not sure why Savard would be extended even for 1 year. It's kind of the same old same old. Savard will be 35 years old the year after his contract is over. He's not the type of guy who remain good until their 40 years. If we are lucky and he doesn't hit the wall this season the chance for him to hit it next will be quite high. Even if we still want a vet on the right side because Barron disappoint this year or what not we should sign someone younger. Savard has served his purpose.

In 2025-26 (the season after Savard's contract expire)

Xhekaj will be 24 and a half
Barron will be 24
Struble 24
Guhle will be 23 and a half
Mailloux 22 and a half
Konyushkov 22 and a half
Engstrom 22
Hutson 21 and a half
Reinbacher 21

At one point we have to test those kids and give them more responsibility and pressure. And ideally we don't want to wait until they are 25 to do so.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Mailloux and Reinbacher will need major NHL minutes sooner rather than later.. now it's possible they re-sign Savard for shorter terms at lower money to be a 3rd pair D rather than have Barron there, for example.
Savard is good veteran for Reinbacher and Mailloux. He's 34 though. Barron has good shot for 2pp. But he has no hockey sense.

I'm big on acquiring a first pairing mobile right D. But it's expensive.

Savard also fetch a first at deadline. Could yield us another Hage. It's not easy choice.

Reactions: LaP

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Savard is good veteran for Reinbacher and Mailloux. He's 34 though. Barron has good shot for 2pp. But he has no hockey sense.

I'm big on acquiring a first pairing mobile right D. But it's expensive.

Savard also fetch a first at deadline. Could yield us another Hage. It's not easy choice.
It should be pretty easy if he yelled a first (I doubt he will) you trade him… there nothing stoping to for resigning him or another vet to babysit the 3 young guy and by the TDL he will have past on most of is tricks of the trade…

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Wheeler was bought out because he's a shit leader.

Byfuglien just didn't have a passion for hockey anymore. I believe it was concussion related.

Didn't hear of Ehlers wanting out.

Buff seemed to be a guy that played hockey because he happened to be good at it.

I think he would rather be on a boat somewhere catching fish and just decided that he had enough hockey.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Agreed. But let me ask you this. If they’re doing well and progressing, would you trade one of them or Savard?

And on the flip side, if you traded one of the young players, wouldn’t the Habs be better off acquiring a younger, better RD then they traded for, and better than Savard?

In my mind, no matter the option, Savard won’t have a place on this team after the TDL. Whether he’s replaced by a kid or a better version of him, he’s gone.

I doubt he's traded if we are in the PO hunt.

Imo, KH & co. are more likely to add experienced depth rather than move it if we are fighting for a PO spot...

Armia gonna have his usual big season being UFA…a 1st is possible. Savard too, unless he slows down even more.
I expect us to be in the realm of a playoff spot but not close enough to hold onto our UFAs.

Will be a good dilemma to have... But I just don't see them sending that message to the group (future matters more than today) IF it has played well enough to be in the race.

Especially not with the Laine addition both because of the investment (9M is not pennies) & because they got a 2nd already... A pick that could/should well be in the 30s, not far off from a late 1st.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
A perfect outcome. And a realistic one also. Steady progress and a good return.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
When's the bloody training camp starting? I am so f***ing bored without any Habs things happening (since the Laine trade). Start the camp now, get them in game shape by Oct whatever-the-date-season-starts and pound the shit out of leafs on day one!

Lessgo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad