HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I highly doubt that. If HuGo thought he would milk the team for everything he can get they wouldn't have traded for him.

Good luck to Laine and his agent trying to milk Hughes anyway. Not gonna happen.

If there's a want to get a deal done from a habs perspective, it will be a fair one. If not he'll be moved for assets. No agent is putting Hughes over a barrel, he's far better equipped to deal with these things than other GM's.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
They trade for him because they where paid to get a player that can score 30g and more
They made a calculated bet that he would work out. If he doesn't they have lost nothing. I am sure they decided he had the right character and desire to win. Remains to be seen if they were right.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
They made a calculated bet that he would work out. If he doesn't they have lost nothing. I am sure they decided he had the right character and desire to win. Remains to be seen if they were right.
I love the move to get me wrong, I just don’t expect him to resign on a friendly deal

Demanded out of WPG: Laine, Kane, Trouba, Roslovic, McGroarty

Maybe it's not the players but the city/management.

But from 2 teams ? PLD was being called here for the same thing

Reactions: rahad

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Laine wanted out I believe because of ice time.

Kane did he want out, or did the Jets just want him out ?

Trouba wanted out to be closer to his gf/wife going through medical school, or a residency in New York.

Roslovic I think was ice time

McGroarty wanted out because he wanted, or felt he was ready for the NHL and the Jets were going for top spot and didn't want to play him and potentially risk losing a spot.

Somewhat similar with Gauthier, but the Flyers didn't want to sign him because of cap concerns for the next season.

So, overall seems like people want out because of ice-time mainly. Both of thr axtual ice time players were under Maurice I believe, so they've addressed the coaching

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I love the move to get me wrong, I just don’t expect him to resign on a friendly deal

But from 2 teams ? PLD was being called here for the same thing
The same can be said of Colombus. Carter, Merzlikins, Chinakov, Laine, Dubois, Jones, etc. At some point it's not the players but the team.

Shit cities, shit team, shit management, leadership group rotten to the core. It's not hard to see it.

Trouba wanted out to be closer to his gf/wife going through medical school, or a residency in New York.

McGroarty wanted out because he wanted, or felt he was ready for the NHL and the Jets were going for top spot and didn't want to play him and potentially risk losing a spot.

Somewhat similar with Gauthier, but the Flyers didn't want to sign him because of cap concerns for the next season.

So, overall seems like people want out because of ice-time mainly. Both of thr axtual ice time players were under Maurice I believe, so they've addressed the coaching
No, Kane asked for a trade out with the whole joggers in the shower thing. Trouba wanted to be away from the middle of nowhere, CA. Don't sugarcoat it.

People want out because it's a shit team in a shit city with a shit culture and a shit ownership and a shit leadership with shit results.

It's as simple as that.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Winnipeg average weather in January Hi: -10 / Low: - 18. No nightlife.
In January they are playing every two or three nights, not a lot of time for that. Also you can live outside of WPG during 4-6 months offseason.

For me WPG management has had some locker room issues which pushed away guys like Laine and Kane with a big ego. However, good for them to get Yager and not cave to McGroarty s demands. Trouba played there several years and told them he would not sign long term which is his right as a UFA. PLD was the same thing and in both cases mgmt are looking like geniuses right now.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If he scores 40+ then you sign him and pay him market value. 40+ aren’t easy to find. It would be stupid not to.
So obvious. Nothing wrong with paying market value for top talent when you have a competitive team, especially one where most of the core is locked up at nice AAVs.

More precisely, at that point, Price comes off the books, while Gallagher and Anderson have only one year left if not already gone. The money being saved in the next two seasons plus the cap rise will combine for a much greater amount than any raises needed to guys not locked up right now.

We will be able to afford a hypothetical stud-performing Laine PLUS one or two more star players.

Reactions: Habby4Life

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Goddammit! I really wanted Askarov!
In a vaccuum maybe, but not at the price paid. That was way too much for us to consider competing with.

Imagine not only giving up our 2025 first rounder PLUS a top-tier prospect, but also agreeing to pre-extend guy with 2 games NHL experience and a so-so AHL playoff record to a bridge deal around double the AAV that Xhekaj, Barron, and Primeau earn.

San José is taking a big gamble, but we didn't need to be as all-in for this one player.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
In a vaccuum maybe, but not at the price paid. That was way too much for us to consider competing with.

Imagine not only giving up our 2025 first rounder PLUS a top-tier prospect, but also agreeing to pre-extend guy with 2 games NHL experience and a so-so AHL playoff record to a bridge deal around double the AAV that Xhekaj, Barron, and Primeau earn.

San José is taking a big gamble, but we didn't need to be as all-in for this one player.
San Jose had to trade for a goalie at some point since they literally have nothing in the pipeline and Askarov fits their age group and time line. But Askarov, other than being a highly touted prospect has done nothing.

If I showed you these two players AHL stats:

Player A:
Playoffs
12 GP - 2.70 GAA, 903 save %
5 GP - 3.25 GAA, 882 save %

Player B:
Playoffs:
14 GP, 2.17 GAA, 936 save %
4 GP, 2.52 GAA, 912 save %

Which one of these two would you say its Askarov. For the record player B is Cayden Primeau on a much worse team than Askarov.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Add, PLD.....................it would seem Wheeler might not have been the only bad apple, Thinking of their star centre??
Then Laine goes to Columbus where that culture on the team is now been called into question by their new GM Wadell, so.....................................we wonder why HuGo are so big on Culture? Not just Karachter, but culture..

Another kid, who seems to be making demands eh...........if he was all that they would not have signed Saros to an extension.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member

Byfuglin just oddly retired and the paul Maurice the coach just quit because the room was incoachsble

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Another kid, who seems to be making demands eh...........if he was all that they would not have signed Saros to an extension.

Reactions: HomaridII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad