Would you ever consider changing allegiances?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Having Nashville as my second favorite is as close as ill ever get to changing allegiances. But the Red Wings are always #1 for me, has been since I started following the team. It would take something insane and borderline impossible for me to stop rooting for them.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I’ve been a red wings fan since I’m 6 years old. At the age of 6 I realized how absurd the Montreal Canadiens politics were and how the only priority was players, coaches, members of the organization speaking French and winning became a secondary thought.

That’s the only politics that I think should matter in hockey, anything that prohibits a team from succeeding and icing the best possible line up.

It shouldn’t matter where you come from, what language you speak, what religion you are, your sexuality… etc… as long as you aren’t a criminal and are the best person suited for the job, that’s who should be iced night in and out.

If you vote for blue and I vote for red or vice versa, doesn’t matter in my eyes. Sports have always existed to escape politics and wars, see the Olympics games back in Ancient Greek times.

With all that being said, I loved how this team was run from the moment I started following it. Love the history, love how the GM is trying to implement the same winning ways and set a winning “mood” around the locker room and despite recent failures (past 7 years which has felt like an eternity and a half) I am confident we are on the cusp of seeing results again.

When your team is winning, you never even consider thinking about such subjects. A winning team is the recipe to a happy fan base.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Born and raised in Detroit, have lived near Tampa, in Phoenix and now Boston. Wouldn't root for any team over the Wings. Liked the Yotes because they were the underdog. Tampa during the COVID cup. But I don't care if Detroit is the worst and most mismanaged team in the NHL. I will still watch 82 game a year and as many games in person as possible (you've seen me behind the Wings' bench multiple times across these cities).

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Sci-fi is inherently about ideas. And that will always intersect with politics, such as when Star Trek shocked the world with a black woman as a bridge officer (and that scandalous kiss). Oh the humanity!

In hockey we've had a few issues intersect. The warm-up jerseys being the most recent lightning rod.

But if you extend that to the owners, lordy, you've got a can of worms. When it comes to billionaires, you're going to be hard pressed to find one without legitimate criticism that can be levied. And it doesn't matter what side of the aisle you're on, they are notorious for doing shit the rest of us of all inclinations find distasteful.

Which is why I implore all of you to give up the Red Wings, give up the Lions, and join a team that is by the people and for the people...

America's only publicly owned professional sports team, tucked in the heartland, the land of dairy, the Green Bay Packers! Who is with me?!?!

Fine whatever, f*** you guys.
I can promise you a Plausible Keats that is firm, yet flexible. Simple, yet complex. And above all, fair to every HFboarder.*

* (shamelessly stolen from WKRP.)

brad-pitt-frustrated-pw29qcfd8xwy9d3a.gif

frustrated-annoyed.gif

eb75d00b2b683222203c7edbb4a1d2c9.gif

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I don't think the wings or any team are involved in politics in any way.
However, the major and the lone reason I consider changing the team (I thought I never would) is the political reason.
I think I'm starting to understand. Sometimes my girlfriend gets mad at me for something I did in her dream. She doesn't even always remember what I actually did, just that she awoke upset with me.

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
I always say you change your underwear daily but never the team you cheer for.

Two things which would let me think about it, if the name of the city and the colours are replaced by the main sponsor like it happend in Nuremberg twice (Sinupret Ice Tigers/Thomas Sabo Ice Tigers) or the main sponsor becomes Red Bull which includes definitly a change of colours and the history of the club is not mentioned anymore.

Despite beeing one of the financially poorer teams in the league, my hometown team did not extend sponsorships after political comments.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
I am not sure what politics have to do with rooting for a hockey team. But no, I am team RW until I die.
Exactly. I’ll never understand people who make politics their entire personality and let it breakup friendships, dislike musicians or actors, or even make them change a sports team they like lol.

To answer the question, I’ll never stop being a Detroit sports fan. I don’t care if Bin Laden magically rises from the dead and becomes the Lions starting quarterback. I’m ride or die with these teams and ONLY these teams.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don’t care if Bin Laden magically rises from the dead and becomes the Lions starting quarterback. I’m ride or die with these teams and ONLY these teams.
Hmm... Come to think of it, I've never seen Jared Goff and Osama Bin Laden in the same place at the same time.

Conspiracy theory activated! :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
I get that sentiment and it's where my mind went initially; boycotting a team because ownership funds movements counter to your socio-political beliefs. I mean, I've boycotted businesses on that pretext. Not to split hairs, but I couldn't imagine a controversial donation being made with the team name attached, it would be the owner presenting said donation. Teams usually show out for puppy adoption drives and community service stuff.

But we are all dancing around the real issue with this. I think some people would jump ship from an organization that supports a political party that they believe is pushing communism. I think this is what the OP wanted to say.

Are you suggesting that Christians believe in cancel culture?

I'm suggesting that some Christians might stop following something that doesn't share their values or beliefs. Call it what you will.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
But we are all dancing around the real issue with this. I think some people would jump ship from an organization that supports a political party that they believe is pushing communism. I think this is what the OP wanted to say.

I'm suggesting that some Christians might stop following something that doesn't share their values or beliefs. Call it what you will.
I'm going to attempt to thread the needle here.

In that hypothetical, regardless of which political party someone believes is pushing a stance that is deemed unacceptable, I was not aware that any persons associated with the Detroit Red Wings (let alone the franchise itself) was affiliated with any political party to begin with.

Has somebody (ownership, front office, players) publicly stated or done anything to endorse a given party? And I'm not talking about a word or action that Joe Lunchbox disagrees with. I mean a word or action specifically to endorse a candidate or party. I was not aware of anything remotely along these lines.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
I would say, let's move on from trying to parse the political reasons. That's not what we're here for and 14ari13's reasons for breaking with the Wings are his own.
You're asking me to not be curious about one of the most curious things to have been posted around here? I can't! I refuse! I'm so curious that I wish 14ari13 would just reveal his reason and then we lock the thread with no discussion. I don't want to argue for or against whatever stance he has, I just want to know, man.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
You're asking me to not be curious about one of the most curious things to have been posted around here? I can't! I refuse! I'm so curious that I wish 14ari13 would just reveal his reason and then we lock the thread with no discussion. I don't want to argue for or against whatever stance he has, I just want to know, man.
I keep crafting replies to posts in here and deleting them because I know it'll get smacked down...

Reactions: jaster

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
IMG_2587.gif

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
But we are all dancing around the real issue with this. I think some people would jump ship from an organization that supports a political party that they believe is pushing communism. I think this is what the OP wanted to say
Communism...RED Wings...ah man, this is like when you realized Kevin Spacey was Kaiser Sozé!:oops:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004

We are? I'm still trying to figure out what the real issue is and waiting for @14ari13 to clarify.

If someone thinks that the Detroit Red Wings are actively supporting a major US political party that is pushing communism, the issue is with the fan's reasoning, not the team.

There's also something especially entertaining about thinking the family that snuck a player out of the Soviet Union in the 80s is now supporting communists.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
There have been times that I have disagreed with the direction of the team, and ownership/management decisions to the point that I decided to "vote with my wallet" and stop supporting the team through any financial means- no more merchandise, tickets or TV subscriptions. If the team used its platform to support politics that I found unconscionable, I may take a similar stance.

But I've been a Red Wings fan as long as I can remember and I will die a Red Wings fan.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
We are? I'm still trying to figure out what the real issue is and waiting for @14ari13 to clarify.

If someone thinks that the Detroit Red Wings are actively supporting a major US political party that is pushing communism, the issue is with the fan's reasoning, not the team.

There's also something especially entertaining about thinking the family that snuck a player out of the Soviet Union in the 80s is now supporting communists.
Yeah, I honestly don't think there is a left-leaning management or ownership group in the league. They try their best to be politically neutral in any official capacity, mildly left-leaning with their media teams, while being very typical GOP Republicans behind closed doors. There might be some tea partiers but more or less with NHL politics, everyone is some variant of John McCain and George HW Bush

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022

I am NOT saying they ARE. It's an example of why a fan might abandon his team, if something like that were true.

I am assuming that was the point of this thread. IF you found out your team leaned heavily, one way or the other, would you walk away. And right now, the fear is leaning far left, which some sports teams are doing.

Yeah, I honestly don't think there is a left-leaning management or ownership group in the league. They try their best to be politically neutral in any official capacity, mildly left-leaning with their media teams, while being very typical GOP Republicans behind closed doors. There might be some tea partiers but more or less with NHL politics, everyone is some variant of John McCain and George HW Bush

I don't think they are either, but I assumed the OP meant a hypothetical situation. I am not accusing the Red Wings of anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad