HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I'm curious if Montreal has another trade in the works. Probably not a major one, but something. The reason I say that is because when asked during his Zoom call, Kent said that they feel they can start the season without placing Price on LTIR.
Anderson in Laval.
Boom!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think I saw something on how he can be cap compliant with some small moves, I think we can start without a full roster too which puts us under.

You're right. Looking at PuckPedia, they have Barre-Boulet listed on the main roster. Then there are some guys who are waiver-exempt that may force the team to send them to the minors to start. For example, Roy and Hutson. Struble is also another option.

If they have them all down in Laval, they become cap compliant.

But I'm still curious if they do have another move in the works to create more cap room while also opening a roster spot for a younger, cheaper player.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You're right. Looking at PuckPedia, they have Barre-Boulet listed on the main roster. Then there are some guys who are waiver-exempt that may force the team to send them to the minors to start. For example, Roy and Hutson. Struble is also another option.

And once they are cap compliant and put Price on in-season LTIR, we can accrue cap space in season, correct?

Reactions: SwiftyHab

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada

But I'm still curious if they do have another move in the works to create more cap room while also opening a roster spot for a younger, cheaper player.
Hughes said in his press conference they will field a cap compliant roster without putting Price on IR before the season.

And once they are cap compliant and put Price on in-season LTIR, we can accrue cap space in season, correct?
Once you put him after season start, you can accrue the full amount.

If you do it during the offseason, you only accrue the exact amount you need to become cap compliant in that instant.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Now that it doesn't seem like the Habs intend to finish bottomWhatever... I wonder if we could see even more moves?

We'd need some NHL depth and can likely pick it up by the end of training camp but I'm not sure how it would work/fit with the contract TETRIS they want to do to fit everything without putting Price on Summer-LTIR

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Doesn't mean there can't still be a trade or two, but it does become a lot less likely this close to camp. I don't know how desperate they are to move a guy like Anderson TBH, it might be a lot more of a thing with us fans than it is to them.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I'm curious if Montreal has another trade in the works. Probably not a major one, but something. The reason I say that is because when asked during his Zoom call, Kent said that they feel they can start the season without placing Price on LTIR.

Obviously, they can still end up doing that. But for him to say it after the Laine trade and going $2M over the cap with the move, it leads me to believe that he is still working on something.

Maybe it will be a similar situation as last season where they put Dvorak on LTIR and sent Xhekaj to Laval as a paper transaction to be cap compliant. They then put Price on LTIR after the opening roster was set.

This season they could put RHP on LTIR and send Hutson to Laval as a paper transaction, then put Price on LTIR after the roster is set.

Mcdonaldz

Jul 26, 2021

Obviously, they can still end up doing that. But for him to say it after the Laine trade and going $2M over the cap with the move, it leads me to believe that he is still working on something.
Anderson on waivers / in AHL?

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Demidov-Dach-Laine
Hage-Beck-Roy
Tuch-Newhook-F. Xhekaj

Guhle - Andersson
Hutson- Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Askarov
Dobes

Make it so.
Haha Newhook will never be a 4C but definitely agree with him on 3rd line with Roy.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Alright I'm feeling greedy now.

Let's grab Rasmus Andersson and grab Askarov.
Several teams want Askarov. Vancouver could be confronted with a starter with a wonky knee (torn ACL?). What would it take to send a competitive offer? I'm assuming our wealth of good goalie prospects gives us an advantage.

And does Andersson want out of Calgary, or does the team have a cap crunch that could push him out?

Last, can the temporary tricks with waiver-exempt players get us under cap with those two on the roster? It could be cool if so. Beyond cool: wizardry.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Make it so.
Now I remember whom Hugues reminds me of.
1724261010145.png

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
If you REALLY want to be greedy WTK, trade for Ehlers. He was Laine's best friend and linemate in Winnipeg, they were inseparable.
If we’re acquiring anyone from Winnipeg, it should be McGroarty. He fits an awful lot more than Ehlers does in terms of age, needs, style of play, cap hit, etc….

I’m not sure how things will go there but I’d be willing to move the Calgary 1st, the Penguins 2nd rounder, and one of the “B” prospects we have in the system.

McGroarty would basically have our top 9 set for the next 5-6 years and give us a really nice balance of talent, size and scoring.

In a year (or two):

Demidov - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
McGroarty - Dach - Caufield
Newhook - Beck - Laine
Roy - Xhekaj - Anderson

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Reactions: Runner77

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member

They’re going to paper Struble, and Xhekaj to Laval without ever sending them. Then put Price on LTIR and recall both.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

You can't accrue cap space when using LTIR, it doesn't matter if its in season or not. In-season LTIR makes it easier for Montreal to make use of LTIR room.

I suspect Montreal is mostly done unless there's a hockey trade or a REALLY good deal out there.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
They don’t need a goalie with how high they are on Fowler.
The problem with this line of thinking is that goalies rarely develop linearly. Fowler was really good this year but may take a step back, get injured, what have you.

We all viewed Primeau as Price's successor when he was going through the college ranks, then looked what happened. He's the back-up now but I'd say even his biggest fans don't see him taking over the starter's role anytime soon.

I'm not saying trade Fowler or forget about him, but don't assume we're all gravy because he's on his way. It may take him a long time to get here and be ready. That's fine, most goalies do.

Askarov is a lot closer. He's played a couple years in the AHL/pro already and, according to the Preds board, played really well except for when they got to the playoffs (a different concern).

I would feel REALLY good about our goaltending depth if we somehow went into the year with a Monty/Askarov tandem with Fowler marinating in college.

Reactions: Vachon23

VirginiaMtlExpat

Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
You can't accrue cap space when using LTIR, it doesn't matter if its in season or not. In-season LTIR makes it easier for Montreal to make use of LTIR room.

I suspect Montreal is mostly done unless there's a hockey trade or a REALLY good deal out there.
Or wait till Day 1 of the season after in-season LTIR of Price's contract.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

Two of these are true I believe;

- If you use LTIR in the summer to be compliant, in our case Price whom we know will be injured all year (no chance of a comeback), it in fact does almost guarantee that no cap can be accrued because it reduces the available LTIR pool in season.

- The longer you push it off within season, the more cap accrues. Because as you said, if you use LTIR to go over cap, cap can’t be accrued.

So WTK is in fact right that if you don’t use LTIR in the summer for price, the window opens for the Habs to accrue cap. Once you put him there within season, if it pushes you over limit, then cap doesn’t accrue. But you can restart accruing if you trade like Savy Dvo and they fall below cap limit.

Am I getting this right?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
You don't accrue cap space if someone is on LTIR unless the total cap hit is under the ceiling aka you aren't using any cent of that LTIR space.

Habs can start the season with 12 forwards and 6 dmen without having to use LTIR. They will only have to use it if there is another injury (beside RHP) and they haven't accrued enough space to call back someone by that point.

They might trade away a forward now that they acquired Laine thought. He's really pushing everyone down the line-up outside of Suzuki/Slaf/Dach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad