HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Honestly not sure about that.

I mean Kulak is on an expiring contract and there's only 2 years remaining to Kane (including this one). Oilers are in a win now situation they could match and trade a 2026 pick with Kulak for future consideration and a 2027 pick with Kane for future consideration.

Kulak is nothing special Broberg should be better this year. Kane had a terrible playoffs run last year. There's a good chance Holloway will give you close to what Kane did but with a better attitude. Kane will be 32 this season and in playofs last year he looked done wont be surprise if he hits a wall this year.
Their hand is being forced and I'd hate to have to go and tell McJesus and Draisaitl we are letting two bright spots go.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Maybe we can drop in and offer Edmonton a way out?

Jordan Harris
Jake Evans

For
2nd round pick 2025
2nd round pick 2026
2nd round pick 2027
Darnell Nurse (Edmonton retains 50%)

They have Leon Drasatl and Evan Bouchard to resign next year.

We then have Nurse for $4.5 mil per year.

Hutson Reinbacher
Guhle Nurse
Xhekaj Mallioux
Struble Barron

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Their hand is being forced and I'd hate to have to go and tell McJesus and Draisaitl we are letting two bright spots go.
As Gord Miller said re: Nurse contract:

“There was zero chance org was going to tell McDavid we’re not signing your BFF to that deal, he would’ve said trade me now”

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

Jordan Harris
Jake Evans

For
2nd round pick 2025
2nd round pick 2026
2nd round pick 2027

Hutson Reinbacher
Guhle Nurse
Xhekaj Mallioux
Struble Barron
Nurse is a loser even at 50%

Reactions: Habs10Habs

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Why not Seider and Raymond instead?
Aside from the fact Det would match as someone already stated, you couldn't OS both of this type of player at once, as you'd have to go into a salary bracket that costs a 1st round pick +, and you can't put up the same pick for collateral twice at the same time. You'd have to OS one, wait for Detroit to match and then OS the second one. Would be entertaining, if nothing else.

StL picked guys where they could OS using a 2nd rounder for Broberg and a 3rd for Holloway so they could do the two OS at once.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019

Jordan Harris
Jake Evans

For
2nd round pick 2025
2nd round pick 2026
2nd round pick 2027

Hutson Reinbacher
Guhle Nurse
Xhekaj Mallioux
Struble Barron
I’m all for dropping in and exploiting other teams misfortune. Nurse, as bad as he is, is ok around 4 mil and will take pressure of X being the only tough guy.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Doesn’t Nurse have a full NMC. And he’s best friend with McDavid. No way he’s waiving when he can coast on the back of McDrai for a possible cup.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Jordan Harris
Jake Evans

For
2nd round pick 2025
2nd round pick 2026
2nd round pick 2027

Hutson Reinbacher
Guhle Nurse
Xhekaj Mallioux
Struble Barron
Even at 50% retention, I wouldn't be interested in Nurse. That contract still has too many years left. A few 2nd round picks isn't worth taking that on, while also giving up Evans and Harris. Those two guys alone are probably worth close to two of those 2nd rounders.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
What about 1st line at 23 year old average, can it work? Just asking for a friend 😁
They already have the talent and experience. That’s much different than putting together a similar line of 4th liners with ahl experience and completely different responsibilities.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I disagree the fourth line is where you want your kids to excel at a specific duties.
It's far easier to graduate a kid to start on a fourth line.
You don't do it if your not going to roll four lines but Suzuki started on four as did Danault.
I have no problems with Beck and Flojack starting on four by next season.
I doubt there’s any Stanley cup winners or even serious contenders with 4th liners that young. Sure, the guys you mentioned might come up and start there, but my point was, you’re not winning a cup with 3 guys that young. You need experience. When you’re ready to compete, you don’t just stick a Mesar for example on your 4th line and hope he can handle it. Just putting a young guy on the 4th because you want him in the nhl doesn’t necessarily work.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Jordan Harris
Jake Evans

For
2nd round pick 2025
2nd round pick 2026
2nd round pick 2027

Hutson Reinbacher
Guhle Nurse
Xhekaj Mallioux
Struble Barron
Doubt Oilers do that.

I would take Ceci and Kulah and a first round pick for Harris? Not protect them out of camp

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I doubt there’s any Stanley cup winners or even serious contenders with 4th liners that young. Sure, the guys you mentioned might come up and start there, but my point was, you’re not winning a cup with 3 guys that young. You need experience. When you’re ready to compete, you don’t just stick a Mesar for example on your 4th line and hope he can handle it. Just putting a young guy on the 4th because you want him in the nhl doesn’t necessarily work.

My impression of Mesar is that he's top six or bust. He needs to do very well this year in the AHL, and if he does that might open trade options for Hughes, but it's hard to see Mesar playing on the 4th line unless the roster is heavily distorted by injuries.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

Jordan Harris
Jake Evans

For
2nd round pick 2025
2nd round pick 2026
2nd round pick 2027

Hutson Reinbacher
Guhle Nurse
Xhekaj Mallioux
Struble Barron

be careful what you wish for, maybe Edmonton would be more than happy to get rid of Nurse's very expensive salary .

Nurse is a loser even at 50%
^ this , he's a good player but not at that price tag .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Which is why i think they'll match and give assets to trade away contracts like Calgary did with Monahan. I doubt McDavid cares about picks too much.

Yup, They are at the stage where they want to win. Their picks are important but the roster on the ice right now is more important. Look at how much futures Tampa spent to keep their roster competitive.

I'm very curious on how they manage this situation

I bet Oilers take the picks. It's like they were waiting for this to happen.

It will come down to what it cost them to unload a contract or two so they can match. If that cost is too much, they will take the picks.

The picks can also be used in other trades to add improvements later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad