Proposal: EDM-UTA -CGY

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think that the Oilers need to add Draisaitl to this deal ;)

Heh :)

A number of people flamed me over this proposal as a massive overpay, lots of laughing emojis, but I think the worm has turned and now they're saying Utah gets fleeced. Honestly, these trades are hard to do. I don't think the Oilers want Savoie playing in Calgary and looking great. So I don't think a direct trade between these two is plausible. Easier to stomach Utah having him or any prospects the Oilers might have drafted.

Sort of an all-in trade for Edmonton which is what they should be doing right now. They need a RHD and someone better than Cody Ceci was. Weegar seems to fit that bill nicely.

Calgary gets a guy they really, really wanted. Also, they want forward prospects as far as I can tell. So Tij Iginla ends up there and I think the Flames would be happy with that return.

Utah is in a weird space from my point of view. They seem to be ready to start competing, so maybe Matt Savoie has to be part of the trade as they want guys who can play right now. I'm not sold on Utah being ready to do much of anything yet, but their fans probably disagree.

• Haha
Reactions: ManByng

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Heh :)

A number of people flamed me over this proposal as a massive overpay, lots of laughing emojis, but I think the worm has turned and now they're saying Utah gets fleeced. Honestly, these trades are hard to do. I don't think the Oilers want Savoie playing in Calgary and looking great. So I don't think a direct trade between these two is plausible. Easier to stomach Utah having him or any prospects the Oilers might have drafted.

Sort of an all-in trade for Edmonton which is what they should be doing right now. They need a RHD and someone better than Cody Ceci was. Weegar seems to fit that bill nicely.

Calgary gets a guy they really, really wanted. Also, they want forward prospects as far as I can tell. So Tij Iginla ends up there and I think the Flames would be happy with that return.

Utah is in a weird space from my point of view. They seem to be ready to start competing, so maybe Matt Savoie has to be part of the trade as they want guys who can play right now. I'm not sold on Utah being ready to do much of anything yet, but their fans probably disagree.
There is no doubt that Calgary gets by fair the best deal of all three teams, that doesn't mean the worm has turned.

• Haha
Reactions: ManByng

Snarky Coyote

May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
Utah had a team last year that was much better than their record on account of a certain owner who is no longer associated with the team and relocation rumors that have been used to take the franchise down for over a decade (in many cases legitimately). You have a new owner who seems to understand how professional sports teams work, a new blue line they needed, and a chance to compete this year for a playoff spot. I don't see any reason that they do this particular trade or any futures-driven trade, at least until they see what they have. Other than perhaps Schmaltz who has a ridiculously bad backloaded contract, I don't think anyone is really available unless there is an overpay. The new arena will be financially bad for a couple of years, and the money will be tight, so I don't expect them to go all in unless they think they are ready to go deep. I don't think that will be till 27-28, but you never know once all negative franchise instability and history.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
This trade would never work. Utah obviously says no. You don't give up top 10 picks for low 1sts. They are getting completely fleeced. I'd imagine if they were giving up Iginla, they'd also prefer to get Weegar themselves (they still wouldn't do it, but they'd prefer that to low picks).

Both Alberta teams win this deal (with the probably untrue assumption that Kane can spend the year of LTIR).

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
without debating the value I don't see it happening.

1. Edmonton's needs are met.
2. Calgary's needs are met.
3. Utah's needs are not met. They're trying to come out of a building phase, not double down on it. Compound it with the fact they just moved and an exciting prospect like Iginla only helps sell the team to the fans imo.

If anything Leave Utah and Iginla out and then see how the trade feels with Calgary retaining for firsts and a second.

Fig

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
without debating the value I don't see it happening.

1. Edmonton's needs are met.
2. Calgary's needs are met.
3. Utah's needs are not met. They're trying to come out of a building phase, not double down on it. Compound it with the fact they just moved and an exciting prospect like Iginla only helps sell the team to the fans imo.

If anything Leave Utah and Iginla out and then see how the trade feels with Calgary retaining for firsts and a second.

I'd like to clarify.

Edmonton's needs for the current and future are met.
Calgary's needs for the current are not met, but for future are met.
Utah's needs for the current and future are not met, with both being less clear after the trade is made.

As much as everything looks like a rebuild right now in Calgary, based on previous interviews, it seems that even if this season is more of a development type season, Conroy intends to return to playoffs by next season or the season after.

ManByng

Oilers cup 2025
Aug 4, 2009
Reykjavik, Iceland
So basically 3 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick for..... Mackenzie Weeger? :laugh:
Oilers picks will suck being at the bottom of the 1st round and bottom of the 2nd round and the Oilers had no problem trading bottom of the 1st rounder Reid Schaefer away ! Picks aren't what the Oilers need now and they've been trading a lot of their picks away for the players they need to try and win a cup. :dunno:

archangel2

May 19, 2019
:flames

Tij Iginla (LW) (6th OA 2024 draft)

:Utah

Matt Savoie (C)
1st Round pick (EDM, 2026) -no protection
1st Round pick (EDM, 2027) -no protection
2nd round pick (EDM, 2025)

:edmonton
Mackenzie Weegar (RHD, $5.75 Million AAV X4)
1 Million retained by Utah

This assumes Weegar will waive for Edmonton and E. Kane remains on the LTIR for the remainder of the season. Admittedly, big assumptions.

Calgary wanted to draft Tij and as I understand it pretty badly. Utah beat them to it. It's tough to come up with a three team trade and make a proposal that is fair for all sides.

Edit: Some have argued the Oilers are giving up too much in this deal. If Savoie is removed, do we feel this is fairer?
you need to explain how the oilers get under the cap for the entire year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad