HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hughes can afford to wait out some GM's who will suddenly discover they have too many toys for their toy boxes and can't afford to keep them all.
This is when the mistakes get made. Which ones will end up being worth the most.
The trick is to grab the gold while they are still focused on the shiniest ones which are actually silver. :naughty:
Bang on.............Hughes has patience galore.............fans, not so much,
He is waiting on something, there is a deal to be made yet guys. As you mention, mistakes get made because the other teams have cap issues.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I assume the idea is towards next summer when they are potential UFA’s that could be potentially blocked by a potentially useless 8.7 mil cap hit if Laine is on the books?

I’m not saying they are possibilities, but having 8.7 towards Laine on the books next summer could be a massive calculation backfire and is one of my biggest reasons for being hesitant to even acquire him for peanuts. Prefer they stay the course myself.
This is a non factor. Neither are coming here regardless, no one should save capspsce for future fantasies that have no chance of happening.

Reactions: ReHabs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
From the golf tournament
So message to KH to help this statement out?

Nick Suzuki on expectations for the season

"[Making the playoffs] is our goal. We all want to make the playoffs and go as far as we can to win the Cup."

"Every year you climb that mountain to try to get to the top. We took a big step in the right direction and I think we'll continue to do that as our group gets older and more mature."
There was also a quote from Nick, about Dach being added and with him staying healthy is key.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I thought KH said he needed to move picks and or young guys, because he can't sign them all
and
wanted to show the players on the team now, that a trade would support there growth

and we hear zip. maybe that was smoke for fans
Sammy, we rarely hear anything with regards to HuGo making a move. Second, if there were a ton of trades being made throughout the league. Maybe I'd be concerned that we aren't involved. There's still plenty of time before the season starts.

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
This is a non factor. Neither are coming here regardless, no one should save capspsce for future fantasies that have no chance of happening.
I said this like ten days ago, using words like assume and potentially and possibilities, all based on someone else replying to someone else.

The only thing that is my actual thought is wanting to stay the course with having more money freed up for next summer. With the current state of this team and the bad contracts that need to come off the books I definitely want to save some capspace for the future. It’s not about fantasies, it’s about being able to have options when the time is right.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Podkolzin, being discussed on mein board, could be an interesting target...

Nucks need cap relief and don't really have a spot for him in their opening day roster. Habs could give him chance to compete for a 3rd line spot (or even beat out Roy for top 6 role if he has a great camp). While his top draft pedigree is looking unlikely to materialize, he plays a sound overall game and looks poised build out a solid bottom 6 career.

To Montreal
Podkolzin, Poolman (cap dump/ ltir candidate)

To Vancouver
Trudeau or Kidney, 3rd

Habs get a 23yr old low cap hit player with some upside.

Nucks create 3.5M in cap room, add draft capital and AHL prospect.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He sure did — while Price and Weber were in their mid 30s no less.
Fair. MB was more into throwing money away (long term contracts) on players that were done like Gallagher and Alzner. And overpaying (term) to players like Anderson. When he didn't use his cap space it's either because he had no idea what to do with it or no assets to trade.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Didn't Bergevin sit on cap space for years and do nothing with it?
He and a chance to use space to get Bickell, a player the Habs needed and Teravainen, but didn't.

Now, unless Chicago didn't want to deal with the Habs is one thing, but that would have really helped the Habs.

Bickell ended up getting diagnosed with something and went on LTIR, so that makes it look even worse.

Guy f***ing sucked at his job.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Podkolzin, being discussed on mein board, could be an interesting target...

Nucks need cap relief and don't really have a spot for him in their opening day roster. Habs could give him chance to compete for a 3rd line spot (or even beat out Roy for top 6 role if he has a great camp). While his top draft pedigree is looking unlikely to materialize, he plays a sound overall game and looks poised build out a solid bottom 6 career.

To Montreal
Podkolzin, Poolman (cap dump/ ltir candidate)

To Vancouver
Trudeau or Kidney, 3rd

Habs get a 23yr old low cap hit player with some upside.

Nucks create 3.5M in cap room, add draft capital and AHL prospect.
Seems he's constantly regressing since his rookie season. He's having trouble staying in the NHL and he's waiver eligible now.

I didn't see him play that much but Ty Dellandrea has a similar profile and he was traded for a 4th.
Maybe just taking on Poolman is enough.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
9 picks in first 4 rounds in 2025.
It’s actually a deep draft too.

2 firsts
2 seconds
3 thirds
2 fourths

I think we can package 2 seconds and maybe a 3rd to move up to late first giving us 3 first round picks.
Don’t forget the Armia and Savard return….massive draft coming up

Reactions: calder candidate

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Seems he's constantly regressing since his rookie season. He's having trouble staying in the NHL and he's waiver eligible now.

I didn't see him play that much but Ty Dellandrea has a similar profile and he was traded for a 4th.
Maybe just taking on Poolman is enough.

Enough for what? There's got to be something in it for us to take on a cap dump.

Podkolzin had his best AHL campaign last year. His availability and low cost is because of the struggles he's had, but he's 23 year old, there's runway for him to put things together and become an NHL regular.

Owen Tippet is a recent example of a forward who couldn't figure it out with his draft team, gets moved for peanuts once his waiver eligibility ran out, then broke out at ~25.

Podz plays a good enough overall game that he's a good bet to be a solid bottom 6 player. We've got the roster situation to roll that dice (especially with RHP out for several months).

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Enough for what? There's got to be something in it for us to take on a cap dump.

Podkolzin had his best AHL campaign last year. His availability and low cost is because of the struggles he's had, but he's 23 year old, there's runway for him to put things together and become an NHL regular.

Owen Tippet is a recent example of a forward who couldn't figure it out with his draft team, gets moved for peanuts once his waiver eligibility ran out, then broke out at ~25.

Podz plays a good enough overall game that he's a good bet to be a solid bottom 6 player. We've got the roster situation to roll that dice (especially with RHP out for several months).
Enough to get Podkolzin.
I'm not sure what taking on Poolman is worth since he's on LTIR, but i'm guessing around a 4th.

I don't know the player enough to have a strong opinion, but just looking at his NHL stats, it's going downward.
Just because it worked out for Tippett doesn't mean it will for Podkolzin, but maybe it's worth a shot.

I'd rather they go get a top 6 player and push another player down on the bottom 6 instead.
Maybe it's more of a end of training camp type of move for Podzolzin.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Enough to get Podkolzin.
I'm not sure what taking on Poolman is worth since he's on LTIR, but i'm guessing around a 4th.

I don't know the player enough to have a strong opinion, but just looking at his NHL stats, it's going downward.
Just because it worked out for Tippett doesn't mean it will for Podkolzin, but maybe it's worth a shot.

I'd rather they go get a top 6 player and push another player down on the bottom 6 instead.
Maybe it's more of a end of training camp type of move for Podzolzin.

I see... I doubt they'd move Podz & the depth he provides, for the later pick & depth prospect.

It's a dice roll move. The Tippett example is best case scenario, I doubt it'd work out that well but Podz as a cheap & solid bottom 6 player next 2 yrs and RFA after that fits our depth NHL needs well imo.

100% agree that a top 6 add would be preferable.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I'm guessing most of us have seen the reports that we had a deal on the table at the Draft of Mailloux and 21st OA for Zegras and 2nd. Sounds like a where there is smoke there is fire. But the rumour is Hughes said no because of being able to draft Hage.

Even if you aren't sold on the guy Zegras is a legit 2nd line player at the very least, which means Mailloux carries high value. As in he is projected to develop into a top 3D man. If thats the case I'm confused about our being willing to part with him since our biggest needs are the top 3 D spots, though I see Guhle as a 2D.

If Mailloux was the center piece for us going to the Ducks, you have to think that is still a deal that can be done, as in Mailloux plus our own 2nd for Zegras. Unless Ducks wanted a certain guy at 21 also.

That would have been fireworks though at the Draft.
If we feel Mailloux will be ready this year, then I would prefer a trade around Mattheson for a trade for a top 6 player.

At one point ppl were super wanting to get rid of Mailloux and his history, and they would trip over themselves to get Zegras for him.

I’m glad we kept the pick, though, since we got a good player in return.

Mattheson and a 2nd should be enough, though, if the interest from both parties is still there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad