HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
My god, not there will be a complete radio silence for the next 4-5 weeks at least.

Habs better get in da playoffs this season cause it just plain sucks from mid April until Oct. Too f***ing long.
Now that's what I'm talking about! Da Pay Off!!! Once you make da Payoff anything can happen!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Harry Wong

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Honestly, I'm surprised how many people are annoyed or shocked that they haven't made more moves. They've been pretty transparent that next summer is the summer they are attacking aggressively, and that this year is more of a push into the next phase but the playoffs are a 'hope' and not the 'target'.

When we could have had Marchessault if we added term, but didn't, that should have been all the signal needed to know that HuGo aren't just going to make any move that presents itself if it is an improvement on the roster, should it be a potential barrier to success down the line.
Totally agree. The next real jump in the rebuild will probably be the trade deadline when vets get moved out and they have a better sense of what they have in Laval. No need to make hasty moves right now.

My god, not there will be a complete radio silence for the next 4-5 weeks at least.

Habs better get in da playoffs this season cause it just plain sucks from mid April until Oct. Too f***ing long.
Be prepared for disappointment because they aren’t making the playoffs this year. There will be improvement but come deadline, they’re going to try and sell big time. Not sure how you think they’ll be in a playoff spot!

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
We were ranked 20-something in most relevant categories. There is nothing wrong with fans wanting to see improvements made to the roster. Don’t let tankophiles insist their predilection for young, inexperienced rosters convince you losing most of a season year after year after year after year is normal.

Building is an intrinsic part of rebuilding. Progress must be made.

The good news is, unlike tank obsessed fans, Hughes seems like a competitive guy who values winning.

It's clearly a thing where fans were (rightfully) disappointed with the direction of the team for so long that they began to glorify the idea of a tank and really got into lusting after prospects/high picks.

By all means, the rebuild was highly necessary, but it doesn't mean that losing is fun or should be prolonged but clearly I think that there are many posters here who have gotten so into talking about picks and prospects that they get more of a kick out of that than watching a winning team.

It's why you see vocal posters let the idea of Laine/Zegras/Necas and whoever else you want (such as O'Reilly in the past for example) where if it's not perfect, it's an enemy, and you should prefer magic beans. It's really lazy and uninspired.

In no realistic world should you be saying 'let's use this season to see what we got in Roy and Newhook' as a reason to avoid improving your top-6. That's absurd.
I'm done with tanking but I don't see an urgency to sign/trade for vets. We're entering our window to improve, however our window to contend is still three/four years away. Let our highly-ranked U25 core develop. Progress will happen and we'll win a few more games.

Yes, we'll need to add vets between now and then, but only those who fit the same timeline as Demidov, Reinbacher, Hutson, etc. If players in the right age and talent bracket aren't available this season, Hughes can wait until next year.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm done with tanking but I don't see an urgency to sign/trade for vets. We're entering our window to improve, however our window to contend is still three/four years away. Let our highly-ranked U25 core develop. Progress will happen and we'll win a few more games.

Yes, we'll need to add vets between now and then, but only those who fit the same timeline as Demidov, Reinbacher, Hutson, etc. If players in the right age and talent bracket aren't available this season, Hughes can wait until next year.

We are definitely done needing to finish bottom 5, we can still get a very good prospect in or near the top 10 which helps our future forecast.

No tank for me this year, just straight cheering and not caring if we win or lose. Just progress.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
No one should be shocked that the mgmt team will still focus on development. This year we need to see a significant step forward from Dach and Newhook. We need to see Roy establish himself as a regular NHLer. We need to see progression from Ghule and Xhekaj. These guys are the key for this team to progress. The rest is gravy ..

Add to this:
- Improvements from Anderson
- Establishment of one of Hutson or Mailloux or even better both
- Good progression of Reinbacher in the AHL
- Better goal tending (with the departure of Allen)

I would be very surprised if we do not make progress in the standings and be competing for a playoff spot in January.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No one should be shocked that the mgmt team will still focus on development. This year we need to see a significant step forward from Dach and Newhook. We need to see Roy establish himself as a regular NHLer. We need to see progression from Ghule and Xhekaj. These guys are the key for this team to progress. The rest is gravy ..

Add to this:

I would be very surprised if we do not make progress in the standings and be competing for a playoff spot in January.
For rookies and youngsters to make a significant step, they need GOOD veteran help. That'st mostly why i'm shocked they didn't add any good vets. We have ample space with duds like Anderson and Gallagher in the lineup.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

We don't particularly have a good depth or at least reliable depth. Armia/Anderson/Gallagher could be good but they're way too inconsistent to rely on them. The team as constructed needs help. It needs goals. If that's a vet, so be it. I'd rather that than get boned the instant we have an injury or two.

Dach is coming back from a lost season and we need him to take a significant step and stay healthy. Obtaining a veteran top-6 scorer would be of great help to help him progress IMO.

Reactions: ReHabs

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
For rookies and youngsters to make a significant step, they need GOOD veteran help. That'st mostly why i'm shocked they didn't add any good vets. We have ample space with duds like Anderson and Gallagher in the lineup.
Barring any trades, this year's team will represent an experiment:

Can a group of talented youngsters improve enough to significantly elevate a team from basement-level play if they are surrounded by average and below-average vets?

An alternative fantasy is that Demidov will come in for the 2026 campaign, produce 90 points and lift a bottom five team to a top five performance.

Reactions: Mrb1p

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Did they end up upgrading the special teams coach?
Special teams are likely a players problem anyway. We have one of the youngest defense in the league and we had a quite average goalies duo. We have only one offensive dman and it show on the PP too.

Add to this:

Don't think we will be competing for a playoffs by the end of january but we will make progress for sure. Should finish around 22nd i think.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
One of the main ideas behind having good veteran help is that they can teach the young players the right way to play, and I would guess that's less of a priority for management because they have the coaching and development staff focused on doing that teaching.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
One of the main ideas behind having good veteran help is that they can teach the young players the right way to play, and I would guess that's less of a priority for management because they have the coaching and development staff focused on doing that teaching.
Thats cope if I ever read cope before.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

As it stands, they're clearly tanking this season too. No top6 depth, no bottom6 depth.

Armia, Dvorak, Evans, Anderson, and Gallagher are perennials on the trade block. Some might be moved by the TDL. But there are no depth players in the AHL who are remotely interesting in terms of readiness or upside. So if they do sell some of those players off they'll do it knowing they have to call up non-NHL quality players to replace them (or take on waiver-calibre players from around the league). That doesn't seem to me like they have a vision for making/playing in the playoffs.

Bottom5 once again is very much conceivable. Not the end of the world but it makes me wonder if the stench and culture of losing will be easy to dispel.

Mrb1p refers to players like Perry and Kovalchuk who bring an element of permanent class and professionalism. Elder statesmen or very serious and established veterans with good reputations. Stuff to ward away Losing Culture problems. That sort of veteran help. It can't be substituted for "focused coaching".

Reactions: Lshap

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I fully expect this team to improve regardless of any external additions. Some prospects will graduate this year and if we can finally avoid the crazy catastrophic injuries that we’ve had then we’ll improve almost for sure.

As for the lack of depth, it’s true we don’t have great players to drop in when injuries happen, but it’s not a big deal. Gallagher or whoever can do that.

It’s a transition year and that’s how I think they’ll treat it.

Reactions: dralaf and LaP

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I fully expect this team to improve regardless of any external additions. Some prospects will graduate this year and if we can finally avoid the crazy catastrophic injuries that we’ve had then we’ll improve almost for sure.

As for the lack of depth, it’s true we don’t have great players to drop in when injuries happen, but it’s not a big deal. Gallagher or whoever can do that.

It’s a transition year and that’s how I think they’ll treat it.
It's not only true that we don't have great players but it's also true that we have downright terrible players in the top 9 at the moment. That's the true problem with the Summer of Hughes.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Barring any trades, this year's team will represent an experiment:

Can a group of talented youngsters improve enough to significantly elevate a team from basement-level play if they are surrounded by average and below-average vets?
That is precisely the point of a transition season. You evaluate what you have and assess your needs from there.

Won’t surprise me if they add someone at some point but he’s said they aren’t going to make a move for the sake of it.

As I’ve said before, Kirby Dach is the key. He must stay relatively healthy. If he goes down again, then it’s a hole we will have to fill. Habs have been so patient with him, I hope they’re rewarded for it. Without him it’s a big hole in the lineup and we will stuggle again. If he’s healthy, he gives us good two way play and will stabilize things big time.

Still hoping Hutson steps in and kills it. That’s another big addition. Healthier years from CC and Newhook would help as well.

Praying for a healthy year because injuries have been so devastating in recent seasons. It’s derailed a lot of progress.

Reactions: dralaf

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's not only true that we don't have great players
Really? I think we do. Is this a typo?
but it's also true that we have downright terrible players in the top 9 at the moment. That's the true problem with the Summer of Hughes.
Our bottom nine is pretty average when healthy. It’s not going to win any cups but it’s not terrible.

Where we will struggle is on D. We are so green back there. Goals for should be better. Goals against should be worse. Overall, I think we’ll take a step forward.

Next year, Demidov will step into the top six. That means someone on the second line goes to the third. Beck joins the team… slowly but surely the bottom nine will improve. We’ll improve simply by graduating players.

We’ll likely add another top sixer at some point. My hope is it’s a big power forward. I don’t think they’re going to rush this.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Really? I think we do. Is this a typo?

Our bottom nine is pretty average when healthy. It’s not going to win any cups but it’s not terrible.

Where we will struggle is on D. We are so green back there. Goals for should be better. Goals against should be worse. Overall, I think we’ll take a step forward.

Next year, Demidov will step into the top six. That means someone on the second line goes to the third. Beck joins the team… slowly but surely the bottom nine will improve. We’ll improve simply by graduating players.

We’ll likely add another top sixer at some point. My hope is it’s a big power forward. I don’t think they’re going to rush this.
In the bottom six theres no great players but we have a lot of terrible ones. I disagree, thats not an average bottom 6, it's a downright terrible one, might just be the worse in the league. Teams like Anaheim and San José have better bottom 6 than us. With the better than average top 6, it's a shame we didn't address that this year.

Next year is next year, this is a whole 12 months we have to deal with right now, why throw it out for no reasons ? There could be serious steps made this year to settle our contending window. Instead, we will see yet another frustrating year with struggles from every player, injuries, bad mood and general shittiness. It's so funny that people just shrug off this year because Hughes said they will and say it doesn't matter but when you look at their post history, they are the first to shit on "perrenial tankers" like Buffalo, Edmonton, etc.

I'll reiterate again, this year was not a necessity to tank and we should have started adding momentum to our contention. It doesn't mean going all out and trading away futures for now, but it means maybe using a 2nd round pick to better the roster for the short to mid term or even long term, it also means using some of the asburd cap space we have to help our youngster perform and get better.

Instead were stuck for another year in limbo where no real progression will be seen, just like last year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
A widely suggested strategy on these forums.
Praying for a healthy year because the team has no depth and it's too much to admit that it's a mistake from Hughes. Sat on his hands just like Bergevin sat on his hands in 2013.

If Dach goes down, Evans is the 2nd line C.
If Caufield goes down, Barré-Boulet becomes the 2nd line LW.
If Slaf goes down, Gallagher becomes the 1st line RW.

I am dumbfounded to the idea that anyone would be fine with this. It's incredibly bad and people are even passing this up as "average".

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
In the bottom six theres no great players but we have a lot of terrible ones. I disagree, thats not an average bottom 6, it's a downright terrible one, might just be the worse in the league. Teams like Anaheim and San José have better bottom 6 than us. With the better than average top 6, it's a shame we didn't address that this year.
It’s an overpaid one, not a terrible one.
Next year is next year, this is a whole 12 months we have to deal with right now, why throw it out for no reasons ? There could be serious steps made this year to settle our contending window. Instead, we will see yet another frustrating year with struggles from every player, injuries, bad mood and general shittiness. It's so funny that people just shrug off this year because Hughes said they will and say it doesn't matter but when you look at their post history, they are the first to shit on "perrenial tankers" like Buffalo, Edmonton, etc.
It’s not being ‘thrown out.’

I expect us to progress. There’s a lot of upside in the top six and I think we will surprise people with our offense.

We’re unlike to be in the playoffs whether we add a top six player or not. The reality is that our D is going to be super green for a while.
I'll reiterate again, this year was not a necessity to tank and we should have started adding momentum to our contention. It doesn't mean going all out and trading away futures for now, but it means maybe using a 2nd round pick to better the roster for the short to mid term or even long term, it also means using some of the asburd cap space we have to help our youngster perform and get better.
I’ll re-iterate again as well. I don’t expect us to tank.

I expect us to stay close to a playoff spot only to miss out at the end. I think we’re going to be a lot better than we were last year.
Instead were stuck for another year in limbo where no real progression will be seen, just like last year.
It’s not limbo if your team is improving. It’s a natural step in a long term plan.

As far as I know, nobody is hoping for us to tank this year. If it happens… so be it. Add another top pick. But I don’t think Hugo wants to be a seller this year. I think they want to see progress. And I think they’ll get it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Praying for a healthy year because the team has no depth and it's too much to admit that it's a mistake from Hughes. Sat on his hands just like Bergevin sat on his hands in 2013.
That’s not the case, it’s not a mistake, it’s a step in the plan. Injuries will happen, it’s to be expected.

But you shouldn’t expect the kinds of catastrophic injuries that we’ve had. That’s simply bad luck.
If Dach goes down, Evans is the 2nd line C.
If Caufield goes down, Barré-Boulet becomes the 2nd line LW.
If Slaf goes down, Gallagher becomes the 1st line RW.

I am dumbfounded to the idea that anyone would be fine with this. It's incredibly bad and people are even passing this up as "average".
Now do it with average teams - it’s the same scenario for them. Not every team is Colorado.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad