HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
There’s a scene in the NHL Draft Upper Deck video where Hage tells his mom, before Montreal picks him, that “Montreal’s on the phone.” Hmmm . . .

So would they have made the trade if NYI took Hage instead of Eiserman. I wouldn’t have.
In the Ducks behind the scenes draft video Madden said that after pick 18 was selected Verbeek started calling all the teams picking between 19th to 23rd to try and move up to draft Solberg, so the Habs were probably talking to the Ducks, who later traded with the Leafs to move up to 23rd to get Solberg.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

In big, there suppositly a trade on the table at the draft with the duck according to Marco Normandin
  • To Montréal : Trevor Zegras + 2nd round pick
  • To Anaheim : Logan Mailloux and pick 21 of the 1st round ( Micheal Hage)

Habs decide to keep the 21 ans draft Hageqhen he fall at the draft!
Shows how much Ducks want for Zegras though. Also proves Hughes interested in Zegras. Possibly of deal in future

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I could see it being a 'chair' argument. Getting Demidov gobbled up the chair we desperately needed to fill in the short-medium term for a high output offensive forward.

Hughes said that what happened at #5 affected their willingness to go out and acquire an nhl ready player. 'Not too much duplication'. Hughes hasn't confirmed anything more specific than that, afaik. He'd never confirm a rumor if it implicated an active habs player.

1:45 question by Basu

Hugues said that they were looking at so many trade scenarios and that it was getting complicated.
So the trade they've decided not to make at the time of picking 21OA is not necessarily the one for Zegras.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
My understanding was Hughes was ready to make a move for an NHLer Forward but when Demidov was available at 5OA the trade(s) were scuppered.

If we believe the DLC news, we learn that Mailloux is a possible trade piece. I think I’m okay with that and tend to believe it. He’s the most likely trade piece because he actually has value on the open market as opposed to Barron, Harris, Ryder, Halak, and a 2nd.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
They could do a better job if they asked ChatGPT to write their articles for them. So many spelling errors and repetitive statements, I wouldn't go as far as saying they "know" French... But I still go there for the "En prolongation" segment because I don't want to fill social media profiles with hockey stuff
I gave them the benefit of the doubt as they seem to speak it better than me and definitely write it better than me, so I can't fully shit on them.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Pretty sure the rumour was that the Habs were in on acquiring McGroarty from Winnipeg but chose to go with Hage instead when he was available. Nobody mentioned anything about Zegras or Mailloux on draft day (or until now for that matter).

*Nevermind it’s DLC. That’s like believing news in the National Enquirer.
I read another DlC article that said we were trading the 21st pick for BigFoot

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Shows how much Ducks want for Zegras though. Also proves Hughes interested in Zegras. Possibly of deal in future
Idk if I'm alone here but I can't fathom giving up Mailloux for Zegras, let alone Hage on top of that.
It's probably fair "value" wise but give me mailloux ANY day of the week over zegras.

if that trade ever happened, I would be livid.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Idk if I'm alone here but I can't fathom giving up Mailloux for Zegras, let alone Hage on top of that.
It's probably fair "value" wise but give me mailloux ANY day of the week over zegras.

me too . So can we be friends? 😘🥰😍

• Haha
Reactions: SwiftyHab

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
No. We traded that pick for Loch Ness and the Alien who Got Me pregnant.
Okay Swifty we both know how you got pregnant. High legs and low standards.

Either way DLC doesn't have the best track record but it kind of makes sense. Demidov and Zegras are Uber skilled, not the most physically imposing players and Hughes did make reference to not wantting players to similar. After getting Demidov thier sights changed and pulled a possible trade offer off the table

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

It wouldn't have happened . They would never have traded the pick if Hage was available. Likely only if the player(s) they had interest were all gone.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
If the Habs trade Slafkovsky for first round picks they will have a better shot at drafting Gavin McKenna.

You know what would give us even better odds at getting McKenna ? Trading also Caufield, Suzuki, Dach and Guhle, maybe even Demidov, if he's too good and able to make the team next year. :popcorn:

Would look stupid if we draft at #2... :laugh:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You know what would give us even better odds at getting McKenna ? Trading also Caufield, Suzuki, Dach and Guhle, maybe even Demidov, if he's too good and able to make the team next year. :popcorn:

Would look stupid if we draft at #2... :laugh:

If the Habs get #2 in the McKenna draft, they should trade the pick for more 1sts, and keep going until they get a 1st in the next McDavid-type draft.

• Love
Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Some on here not high on Mailloux. But I don't know.

Does show Zegras rumours we been hearing last 6 months were true.

Reactions: ReHabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Yeah, trading Mailloux before seeing him in a full NHL season is a bad idea (Sergachev type mistake). I would like to add Zegras to the line-up but after getting Demidov, where does Zegras fit?

The interest in Zegras was always there but there was clearly no desperation to add a soft skilled perimeter player.

Habs have lots of leverage with our futures and cap space. Makes no sense to rush into any trades.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
those losers put links to rumours/news/opinions coming from other sites. You would have understood it if knowing french language 🤐
To random people no one has ever heard of before, or they misconstrue what was said.

C'est facile pour tout le monde.

You would know that if you didn't blindly defend perpetual liars.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why would Demidov influence getting a player who will help this year? It would make more sense if they moved up to 19 to facilitate the trade and only keep the pick if Hage was available.

Because they aren't targeting this year - they just want internal growth this year. That's why they stayed firm on term on FAs, they could have Marchessault if they went longer term, they didn't want to because a short term push isn't what they are looking for.

Demidov is going to impact next year and doesn't cost them additional trade assets to get.

I'm so glad it happened the way it did, Zegras isn't what we needed.

They nixed the trade right before taking Hage. Had nothing to do with Demidov.

Hughes said this where? I doubt he’d comment on any specific trade rumor where the players involved are named. Mailloux must feel like crap now.

Someone else sent the video, so this must be a separate rumor but I don't believe they connected the two things properly. I doubt Mailloux feels like crap because it's just a rumor and it has never and will never be corroborated by Hughes as far as who/what was being offered.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I thought KH said he needed to move picks and or young guys, because he can't sign them all
and
wanted to show the players on the team now, that a trade would support there growth

and we hear zip. maybe that was smoke for fans

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad