Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Refer to post 1895.
Remember in 2014 when Laine was sent home from Ivan Hlinka tournament for getting mad and flipping off a coach then allegedly saying he would kill the coach (he denied this).

"I did not threaten to kill anyone, though. I was angry and said out loud that I could hit the coach in the face or something along those lines. I was disappointed in my ice time and my own inefficiency. In the moment "giving the finger" felt like a good idea”

Seems like there is smoke there, but I guess it just depends on what you want to believe.

This deal was worth it for the Habs though.

Last edited:

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
The point is if Laine is some semblance of an elite player, adding a 2nd pick on to him and only getting Harris in return makes no sense. An elite player has much more value than that, even at a high cap hit. So maybe he’s not a positive value asset…
This was obviously not a pure hockey trade. Laine has questions marks especially since last year. As a Columbus fan you know that in the 2 years prior to that he was virtually a PPG player (yes he missed games...Dad died and injuries). Uncertainty...big salary...not wanting to play for CBJ brought an element of cap dump to his case but this is not a clear cut case like Monahan. I suspect that Hughes and Waddell both understood this and that Hughes convinced him that Laine was a risk (cheap payment is good for Montreal). They probably agreed that half his salary was a dump (2nd round pick) and that Harris, a serviceable D-man, needed to be moved hence the rest of the trade calculation based on Laine's actual abilities. You don't think that Laine lost his hockey skills in 12 months do you?

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Right ..

That will surely solve their issues says *checks notes* TB forward Cam Atkinson and *checks notes* Gustav Nyquist of the Nashville Predators.

Anyways, I guess the Habs have those guys to thank for CBJ giving up on Laine.
Refer to post 1895.
I’m confused. I think you guys are also.

You understand the whole point is that the team “gave up” on all those guys, not Laine.

Is that not proof he’s an issue in the locker room??

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeune Poulet

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If we're talking about rumours, all the time.

Even taking it at face value, I'm not sure why you think its ignored, when its just not as significant as gossip.

Its not as if Montreal doesn't have primary sources in their organization from both before the alleged meeting took place (Savard) or after (Vincent). They're not going into this eyes closed.
You think Portzline would say all that if it was just a “rumor”??

You’re also downplaying the entire thing because it happened in Columbus. If something like that happened in Montreal you guys would still be talking about it till this day.

From a CBJ fan POV, and somebody who thinks Seth Jones is an awesome player, and Foligno a great leader, and that both would be great to be added or still with the current roster, thinks we essentially removed the players and TEAM IDENTITY, that made the team successful, just to have a couple flashy European’s with extreme limitations to their games ruin the team in only a few years, after a group of players explicitly named them as “issues”.

We have a good future ahead, and some good young players, but, these last few years have literally been unbearable to watch most of the time. Laine was a HUGE part of this, on the ice, and now what’s clearly been confirmed off the ice.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
I’m confused. I think you guys are also.

Is that not proof he’s an issue in the locker room??

Tbh, I hadn't thought of it that way.

I'm not suggesting he isn't, or at least wasn't a locker room issue but I think we have different definitions of proof.

They held on to him over the other guys despite those alleged comments, probably because they still believed he was a player you can win with. It wasn't until Laine wanted out that they decided it was time to move on.

Reactions: viceroy

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The point is if Laine is some semblance of an elite player, adding a 2nd pick on to him and only getting Harris in return makes no sense. An elite player has much more value than that, even at a high cap hit. So maybe he’s not a positive value asset…
Probably not at this time

Hopefully a buy low situation

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

You’re also downplaying the entire thing because it happened in Columbus. If something like that happened in Montreal you guys would still be talking about it till this day.

From a CBJ fan POV, and somebody who thinks Seth Jones is an awesome player, and Foligno a great leader, and that both would be great to be added or still with the current roster, thinks we essentially removed the players and TEAM IDENTITY, that made the team successful, just to have a couple flashy European’s with extreme limitations to their games ruin the team in only a few years, after a group of players explicitly named them as “issues”.

We have a good future ahead, and some good young players, but, these last few years have literally been unbearable to watch most of the time. Laine was a HUGE part of this, on the ice, and now what’s clearly been confirmed off the ice.

I believe that there was a meeting. I'm not going to assume Portzline was relayed the exact tone or context of the meeting, and I know/hope he wasn't relaying what he was told with perfect clarity (as it almost assuredly didn't happen after the 2021-2022 season given that half the players allegedly involved weren't part of the team then).

And you must be woefully unfamiliar with Montreal if you think that something like that hasn't happened in Montreal or the kind of things that get reported in Montreal. The only reason it would be talked about "to this day" is because it only came to light less than a month ago. But this definitely come close to being worth discussing long term. Wake me up when there are mob allegations or parental interference.

Also, Columbus would be still be awful even if they did what the vets wanted because building a team around veteran character guys who are the team's identity (read gritty and workmanlike) doesn't work. when those guys are of the age and/or quality of that core. Ask Montreal fans. Or the fans of the team that acquired Jones and Atkinson.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

I’ve been in your position many times and I think what you’re saying absolutely has merit

If i heard that laine was a cancer on every team he played with from age 15 to today i would believe it

That’s the reason cbj basically had to pay to get rid of him

At his age and after his time in the players assistance program this is laines “last chance” to straighten his attitude out

I hope for once we can benefit from a reclamation project

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I’ve been in your position many times and I think what you’re saying absolutely has merit

If i heard that laine was a cancer on every team he played with from age 15 to today i would believe it

That’s the reason cbj basically had to pay to get rid of him

At his age and after his time in the players assistance program this is laines “last chance” to straighten his attitude out

I hope for once we can benefit from a reclamation project
Wrong. The trade was made for very little because no one was willing or able to absorb the entire contract. And that would likely have to do part with cap room and part because he was coming off the player assistance program and how late in the preseason that was.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Wrong. The trade was made for very little because no one was willing or able to absorb the entire contract. And that would likely have to do part with cap room and part because he was coming off the player assistance program and how late in the preseason that was.
The trade was made because columbus wanted to get rid of laine

Days after this trade columbus was rumoured to be looking to take a bad contract back

Who trades a 26 year old that is capable of 40 goals and 80 points unless they don’t want him around the team

Great deal for the habs but let’s not pretend about the why the trade was made

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
The trade was made because columbus wanted to get rid of laine

Days after this trade columbus was rumoured to be looking to take a bad contract back

Who trades a 26 year old that is capable of 40 goals and 80 points unless they don’t want him around the team

Great deal for the habs but let’s not pretend about the why the trade was made

No, the trade happened because Laine wanted out/a fresh start somewhere else after PAP. That’s a fact. Wadell said this himself.

Why do people keep making shit up? 😂

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
He's not an elite player so right off the bat you're setting him up to fail by placing an incorrect paradigm on him. He might have elite upside but he's not elite right now.

He was negative value because of his contract and injury situation and the fact he had a NTC and publicly desired a trade away. CBJ could've sold him for much more if they retained his cap-hit but preferred to unload the whole contract, that comes at a price. MTL took on the cap-hit because it could afford to do so. Tidy work.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Barkov is one of his better friends. You know - Aleksander Barkov, Captain of the Florida Panthers? If Laine was such a shitty individual, I`m pretty sure Barky wouldnt train with Laine all summer and be pals with him?
Completely irrelevant

Laine being a cancer (not something I believe or agree) has more to do with how he interacts with his teammates and coaches, how he reacts to instructions, how much effort he puts in… and less to do with being a “shitty individual”.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I believe that there was a meeting. I'm not going to assume Portzline was relayed the exact tone or context of the meeting, and I know/hope he wasn't relaying what he was told with perfect clarity (as it almost assuredly didn't happen after the 2021-2022 season given that half the players allegedly involved weren't part of the team then).

And you must be woefully unfamiliar with Montreal if you think that something like that hasn't happened in Montreal or the kind of things that get reported in Montreal. The only reason it would be talked about "to this day" is because it only came to light less than a month ago. But this definitely come close to being worth discussing long term. Wake me up when there are mob allegations or parental interference.

It's not actually a new story. Portzline's memory is poor but he was basically trying to rehash his own reporting from the 2021 offseason. He reported a leadership meeting where there were voices calling for Laine's ouster. The Blue Jackets leadership group in that period was often credited as one of the best high accountability groups in the league.

After that report came out many pro Laine fans turned on the former favorite Cam Atkinson, speculating that he was the one feeding Portzline and not liking Laine. Shortly after that Atkinson was traded, feeding further speculation that it was Atkinson's doing, or speculation that Jarmo was choosing Laine over his leadership group. We don't know if that was really the choice, though Jarmo did effectively gut the leadership group and tried to build around Laine. And we don't know how extensive the anti-Laine sentiment was among the old leadership group. Some have speculated that Jones was not a fan of Laine, he decided to leave the team not long after the meeting. But there isn't anything else to go on there, he surely had plenty of reasons for moving on.

Also, Columbus would be still be awful even if they did what the vets wanted because building a team around veteran character guys who are the team's identity (read gritty and workmanlike) doesn't work. when those guys are of the age and/or quality of that core. Ask Montreal fans. Or the fans of the team that acquired Jones and Atkinson.

Good teams need a lot of different elements.

The team went from four straight playoff appearances and two straight seasons with post-season series victories, to (with Laine) four straight failed seasons. Going from high accountability to low accountability was a huge reason for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: thebus88

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
It's not actually a new story. Portzline's memory is poor but he was basically trying to rehash his own reporting from the 2021 offseason. He reported a leadership meeting where there were voices calling for Laine's ouster. The Blue Jackets leadership group in that period was often credited as one of the best high accountability groups in the league.
Except in terms of results, performances, etc. you mean?

After that report came out many pro Laine fans turned on the former favorite Cam Atkinson, speculating that he was the one feeding Portzline and not liking Laine. Shortly after that Atkinson was traded, feeding further speculation that it was Atkinson's doing, or speculation that Jarmo was choosing Laine over his leadership group. We don't know if that was really the choice, though Jarmo did effectively gut the leadership group and tried to build around Laine. And we don't know how extensive the anti-Laine sentiment was among the old leadership group. Some have speculated that Jones was not a fan of Laine, he decided to leave the team not long after the meeting. But there isn't anything else to go on there, he surely had plenty of reasons for moving on.
Talk about spinning yarns! Wow.

The team went from four straight playoff appearances and two straight seasons with post-season series victories, to (with Laine) four straight failed seasons. Going from high accountability to low accountability was a huge reason for that.
The Habs missed the playoffs with Shea Weber and Carey Price. It was clearly and entirely their fault. Not enough accountability. CBJ missed the playoffs with Patrik Laine on the roster, it's his fault and his alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Funny how when a team like LA trades for Dubois, regardless how bad he is, regardless of how bad his reputation was,they found the money and gave up assets. Waddell was begging in the media for someone, anyone to please take Laine off his hands for free. Not even willing to wait for the offers to improve with 2 years left on his contract, just get this guy away from the team.

Reactions: thebus88

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Funny how when a team like LA trades for Dubois, regardless how bad he is, regardless of how bad his reputation was,they found the money and gave up assets. Waddell was begging in the media for someone, anyone to please take Laine off his hands for free. Not even willing to wait for the offers to improve with 2 years left on his contract, just get this guy away from the team.

Rob Blake is known for a lot of things, being the sharpest GM in the league is not one of them.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Not sure who won this deal. If Laine gets injured then Columbus probably did better. Columbus will have hard time driving offense though.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

"leadership group in that period was often credited as one of the best high accountability groups in the league" is one of the most subjective "titles" in hockey, and frequently gets proven to be wrong once more information comes out.

Thats not to discount issues or that Laine may have been the issue, but you also can't get nuance from this kind of story.

And again, one of Montreal's veteran leaders was with Columbus when they traded for Laine, and their new AHL coach was in Columbus afterwards (and was alleged his decision to bench him was the reason Laine wanted out of Columbus). Montreal didn't make this trade with their eyes closed, they likely know more than you or I.

The only players that left the team that offseason were Atkinson and Jones, and it feels very revisionist to say that Jones wouldn't re-sign because of Laine.

I also don't think its ever been a good idea to build around Laine, but how exactly did Columbus even try to do that? They never had a proven top-6 caliber center with playmaking chops his entire time in Columbus. They also basically focused on him being a trigger man and didn't play a more complementary style to his skill-set.

And lets actually look at that leadership group:

-Jones: Was incredibly overrated and Columbus is better off in trading him and not re-signing him
-Atkinson: Basically had one season afterwards where he was a decent top-6 winger
-Werenski: Still a Jacket, they didn't "choose" Laine over him
-Was still a Jacket the next season and then was traded as rental at the deadline. Had a career year at 34 in Nashville, but not a player you build around at his age.

I'd argue that clear lack of center depth, having a lot of key guys be in their early to mid 30s, having a bad d-core mix and inconsistent/at times questionable goaltending was an issue.

Its also a frame of reference thing for different fanbases. Under Montreal's previous management they were an ultra high accountability team. And it showed in the effort they put in when they play. It didn't fix the talent issues and lead to a culture of hiding or lying about the extent of injuries which handcuffed management and basically lead to 2-3 players retiring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad