HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Habs have a ton of talent up front, seriously?

The have 3 legit top 6 with CC, Slaf, and NS. A wildcard in Dach. Roy and Newhook who are third liners and then a bunch of scrap parts. This team is far from a lot of talent up front. As it sits now this is a bottom 5 team again.
I think you're going to be proven wrong here.

Health is a wildcard but if they're healthy, that second line will put up 140 cummutive points if they're together. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they put CC with Dach though to balance things. That would probably move Newhook to Suzuki for this year. Either way, I think you'll see Newhook and Dach at 50+. Roy we'll have to see how much time he gets there.

140 is just fine for a second line.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

Health is a wildcard but if they're healthy, that second line will put up 140 cummutive points if they're together. I wouldn't at all be surprised if they put CC with Dach though to balance things. That would probably move Newhook to Suzuki for this year. Either way, I think you'll see Newhook and Dach at 50+. Roy we'll have to see how much time he gets there.

newhook worries me some. we see. but I feel he is a 3rd line guy

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

100% certain injuries will happen and not every guy will take a step forward. As it is, this team doesn’t have the depth to overcome either of these. All it takes is one injury to the top 4 (NS, CC, Slaf, Dach) and the season is done. Even with all these guys healthy they are in the bottom 10, mostly like around 5th.

There second line is all band-aids, not a legit top 6. Newhook is a third liner, and Roy has played 20+ games & is unproven, and no one knows if Dach can stay healthy. They have no real 2nd line.

KH needs to add a top 6 forward via trade, their top 6 forward depth is weak at best. By doing so, it moves guys down the lineup where they should be and will flourish the most.

Newhook on the first line, Vomit.

Last edited:
Reactions: sampollock

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
100% certain injuries will happen and not every guy will take a step forward. As it is, this team doesn’t have the depth to overcome either of these. All it takes is one injury to the top 4 (NS, CC, Slaf, Dach) and the season is done
Yep, injuries will happen. But it shouldn’t be as catastrophic as it’s been. We may not have great depth but it’s not that far off what most clubs have up front. Injuries can’t be predicted for any team.
There second line is all band-aids, not a legit top 6. Newhook is a third liner, and Roy has played 20+ games & is unproven, and no one knows if Dach can stay healthy. They have no real 2nd line.
Here I think you’re just flat out wrong and they’re going to prove it. We’ll see.

140 points is what I think they’ll do if together.
KH needs to add a top 6 forward via trade, their top 6 forward depth is weak at best. By doing so, it moves guys down the lineup where they should be and will flourish.
He’s said he will. That would bump Roy down who can come up in the event of injury. I’d prefer they just play him but I understand where Hugo’s coming from.

Either way I don’t think we’ll make the playoffs due to how green our blueline is.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
newhook worries me some. we see. but I feel he is a 3rd line guy
With Dach he’ll get 50 points. I’m not worried about him at all. He’s secondary scoring all day long.

In the future I think he’ll wind up on the 3rd with Beck. That will give us great depth if it all works out.

Reactions: dralaf

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
100% certain injuries will happen and not every guy will take a step forward. As it is, this team doesn’t have the depth to overcome either of these. All it takes is one injury to the top 4 (NS, CC, Slaf, Dach) and the season is done. Even with all these guys healthy they are in the bottom 10, mostly like around 5th.

KH needs to add a top 6 forward via trade, their top 6 forward depth is weak at best. By doing so, it moves guys down the lineup where they should be and will flourish the most.
that is the key, playing guys on the 2nd line and should be on the 3rd is not good for development.

Reactions: Habby4Life

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
that is the key, playing guys on the 2nd line and should be on the 3rd is not good for development.
It is absolutely GOOD for development when there is no one else that deserves to play there. If they end up to be capable 2nd liners and Habs add players that push them to the 3rd line then you have 9 guys capable of being on a scoring line.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Just because Necas was signed doesn't mean he still won't be traded .
True but I think that term makes it harder for a team to trade for him. 2 years takes him right to free agency and can’t be extended when they trade him so he holds all the chips. He can simply not extend and the team is screwed with all they can do is trade him at the TDL before his contract expires. Not a risk I’d take as a GM but than again, I’m not a GM.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Exactly, they have very little depth past the top 3/4. It’s time for KH to move picks and prospects and add 1 or 2 forward to fill out top 6.

KH must reward the core for their hard work and go out and get them help. This team needs to start playing meaningful games past November, it’s time to turn the corner.

This Newhook Roy idea on the 2nd line is brutal. If these two are in your top 6, your top 6 is a hot mess, stacked, lololol.
I think this team if healthy is good enough to be in WC hunt.

Dach will make a big difference for the top 6. Newhook and Roy don't need to be play drivers - just complimentary pieces for Slaf/Dach/Suzuki/Caufield. And would do wonders for their development too.

That's good enough for now. I don't see the need to take on more contracts this season to boost our team in the short term. We have enough pieces within to take that next step.

Next off-season is the time to blow our load, if we choose to. Just makes way more sense.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Now that Necas is signed for lower than Suzuki, I kinda really want him :sarcasm:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Dach will make a big difference for the top 6. Newhook and Roy don't need to be play drivers - just complimentary pieces for Slaf/Dach/Suzuki/Caufield. And would do wonders for their development too.

That's good enough for now. I don't see the need to take on more contracts this season to boost our team in the short term. We have enough pieces within to take that next step.

Next off-season is the time to blow our load, if we choose to. Just makes way more sense.
In all likelyhood, Demidov joins the top six next year. Beck will be on the third... good young group and we'll have depth down the line. Really like the direction we're going. Hugo will probably add somebody up front as well.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

Even if this team loses 0 games to injury they won't sniff a WC spot. 2nd wildcard spot was 91 pts, and there is no reason to believe it won't any lower. Habs won't get even close to that. In fact, if they finish 500, it will be a surprise.

They can't just draft their way into being a contender, it takes utilizing the draft, making trades, signing FA's etc.

I'm convinced that KH will acquire a top 6 forward, but if they roll into the season with the same lineup as last, its a failure in my books. Losing can become a culture of its own, its time to start being competitive. If it means they finish with the 10ova pick versus 5th so be it. Guys got to start playing meaningful hockey.

It is absolutely GOOD for development when there is no one else that deserves to play there. If they end up to be capable 2nd liners and Habs add players that push them to the 3rd line then you have 9 guys capable of being on a scoring line.

Since when has it been good playing guys in positions they are not ready for. Many examples of guys being rushed and it has hindered their development, including the recent hab prosects KK AG. Perhaps, if these two were slowly integrated, and given time to develop they might still be a hab today. Guys flourish when there are put in the proper situations, proper line matchups etc.

Last edited:

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I think HuGo would like to add a Top 6 forward, but I don't think they'll overpay in trade value or contract term to get one this summer.

This year will be critical in seeing what we have in Dach and Newhook. If they both look great and we bring Demidov in next season, then we'll be in good shape to start the next year with them plus Slaf/Suzuki/Caufield filling out our top 6.

However if Dach and/or Newhook don't seem to be working out the way we want them too, and we don't have any other players with Top 6 potential that are making a big push up this year (Roy, Mesar, Beck? etc), then next summer HuGo will have more pressure to turn to a trade or free agency to bring in a bonafide Top 6 player.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Laine getting on the program might be the perfect situation for the Habs, it makes him available, for cheap and he semed serious about his recorvery so he might be back to his old form. Ils a very good risk to take as we have the cap space and plenty of assets.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Even if this team loses 0 games to injury they won't sniff a WC spot. 2nd wildcard spot was 91 pts, and there is no reason to believe it won't any lower. Habs won't get even close to that. In fact, if they finish 500, it will be a surprise.

They can't just draft their way into being a contender, it takes utilizing the draft, making trades, signing FA's etc.

I'm convinced that KH will acquire a top 6 forward, but if they roll into the season with the same lineup as last, its a failure in my books. Losing can become a culture of its own, its time to start being competitive. If it means they finish with the 10ova pick versus 5th so be it. Guys got to start playing meaningful hockey.

Since when has it been good playing guys in positions they are not ready for. Many examples of guys being rushed and it has hindered their development, including the recent hab prosects KK AG. Perhaps, if these two were slowly integrated, and given time to develop they might still be a hab today. Guys flourish when there are put in the proper situations, proper line matchups etc.
Newhook and Roy are ready. Newhook has been playing on scoring lines in the NHK for years. Roy as well in juniior, AHL and adequately on Montreal last season. It is almost always idiotic to play offensive players on bottom lines; It does nothing for them to play with plugs.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022

Timing is a thing. There's a time and place for everything.

If you think this team is bottom 5 as is then I understand your concern about getting another top 6 player.

This is where we differ tho - I see us good enough to take next step so no need to trade. And I want to keep spots open for next year when we have more ability to wheel and deal.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Newhook and Roy are ready. Newhook has been playing on scoring lines in the NHK for years. Roy as well in juniior, AHL and adequately on Montreal last season. It is almost always idiotic to play offensive players on bottom lines; It does nothing for them to play with plugs.
Yeah, worked for KK, AG, and the 1000’s of other guys put into positions that weren’t ready for.

If you think Newhook or Roy are top 6 then the top 6 blows chunks.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yeah, worked for KK, AG, and the 1000’s of other guys put into positions that weren’t ready for.
They were 18 and “developed” under terrible coaches.

Apples and oranges.
If you think Newhook or Roy are top 6 then the top 6 blows chunks.
What do you think they’ll put up points wise?

20? 30? How many do they have to put up for you to feel like we’ve got a second line?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad