HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Nobody is smirking about BellLetsTalk just the cockroaches that run it (Bell). Habs would have to be sure Laine is OK mentlly and physically before making an offer and I wouldn't go more than Armia, a b prospect and a 2nd.
That would be my offer as well. Armia, Mesar, 2nd (ideally not ours)

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Changes of scenery can be beneficial. People mentioned Nuke who is en extreme case, but look at our own Drouin in Colorado

Reactions: Tyson

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
You have no f***ing clue.
preggo-02.jpg

I trust my eyes !

• Haha
Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Dach and Capt hook 2nd unit
Or Laine 2nd unit
The thing is if our PP becomes any good it will be because of extended zone time like we saw on a couple of occasions last season.
The very good PP's must average around 1:30 and some stay the full two minutes.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Here's the situation:

We don't need a top-6 forward, but Hughes/Gorton/Players have all said they want to look to take a step next year. As a fan, I want to see them do that as well. Does that mean playoffs? No. But I don't want to be a Sabres/Blue Jackets/etc where we continually lose and develop a losing culture. Being a bubble team and playing some meaningful games late would be great.

We've floated a couple of names out this summer: Necas, Zegras, McGroarty, etc. But the common theme that comes up with all of those guys is either we're going to have to pay way too much to get these guys, and once we do get them, we're going to have to pay them a lot for a long time to keep them.

Fair enough. Enter Patrick Laine.

He comes here for two years, and even on his full salary, we're fine. He is another reclamation project and an expensive one, but it's a risk that we, as a rebuilding team, are in a position to take.

- He doesn't block Demidov long-term.
- If he gets back to even sort of good form, it's great. If not, Demidov is coming next year.
- We've seen what he can do. There's some sort of a track record there.
- The cap is going up and we're losing a ton of money off the books next year.
- Columbus wants picks and prospects back. We have tons of those.

For me, it just makes too much sense. He may not want anything to do with coming here, but I doubt he gets a better opportunity in another team's top 6 than he does with us.

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
But how does that improve the PP?

Laine's shot is a major weapon on the pp

Suzuki near the net
Laine on the left half wall
Slaf on the right half wall
Caufield on the bumper
Hutson at the point

And some of them will rotate positions during the pp. For example, Slaf will go in front of the net, while Suzuki switches to the right half wall position

Reactions: sampollock

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Here's the situation:

We don't need a top-6 forward, but Hughes/Gorton/Players have all said they want to look to take a step next year. As a fan, I want to see them do that as well. Does that mean playoffs? No. But I don't want to be a Sabres/Blue Jackets/etc where we continually lose and develop a losing culture. Being a bubble team and playing some meaningful games late would be great.

We've floated a couple of names out this summer: Necas, Zegras, McGroarty, etc. But the common theme that comes up with all of those guys is either we're going to have to pay way too much to get these guys, and once we do get them, we're going to have to pay them a lot for a long time to keep them.

Fair enough. Enter Patrick Laine.

He comes here for two years, and even on his full salary, we're fine. He is another reclamation project and an expensive one, but it's a risk that we, as a rebuilding team, are in a position to take.

- He doesn't block Demidov long-term.
- If he gets back to even sort of good form, it's great. If not, Demidov is coming next year.
- We've seen what he can do. There's some sort of a track record there.
- The cap is going up and we're losing a ton of money off the books next year.
- Columbus wants picks and prospects back. We have tons of those.

For me, it just makes too much sense. He may not want anything to do with coming here, but I doubt he gets a better opportunity in another team's top 6 than he does with us.
Perfect statement

Suzuki near the net
Caufield on the bumper
Hutson at the point

And some of them will rotate positions during the pp. For example, Slaf will go in front of the net, while Suzuki switches to the right half wall position
Well said

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Suzuki near the net
Caufield on the bumper
Hutson at the point

Caufield should be on the half wall. Slaf bumper and Matheson is going to be on the point.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Not that I'm adamant about getting Laine, although I wouldn't mind at all depending on the cost.

But our PP teams has been some of the worst in the NHL for the last 4 years, and some seriously wonder where Laine would fit in that ?

IF Hughes gets him, he'll most probably be on our 1st unit, that shot of his would instantly become our best PP weapon.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Not that I'm adamant about getting Laine, although I wouldn't mind at all depending on the cost.

But our PP teams has been some of the worst in the NHL for the last 4 years, and some seriously wonder where Laine would fit in that ?

IF Hughes gets him, he'll most probably be on our 1st unit, that shot of his would instantly become our best PP weapon.

I believe our PP has all the components to be a good one, it's weakness is it's QB, I love what Matheson brings to the habs with his speed, motor etc, but he's not good for the powerplay. Hutson will cure alot of our problems, throw in Demidov and I think we're gonna have one of the best PP's in the league in the near future.

Laine is not the need we have for the PP IMO.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Suzuki near the net
Caufield on the bumper
Hutson at the point

Yeah, ok, remove your best PPP producer from the PP in favour of a midget with 2 games pro experience.

Move your best pure goal scorer out of his preferred spot.

Expect miracles.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It now seems that Necas will stay for at least the year in Carolina, so he's probably out of the "available" forwards for now

I have a very strong feeling that Cheveldayoff will do what he does best with McGroarty: wait it out. I'd wager he signs him after the end of this NCAA season in time for the playoffs (if the Jets are in the run)

Zegras is still there I guess. I don't know if he's on the radar now that Demidov has been picked. The return is reportedly astronomical

Laine is interesting but a lot of it lies on the mistery IMO. Is he even going to play this season? Hockey has never really been his passion per his own admission. Still... if the ask is indeed low, the Habs have the cap and the term is short, it's hard to be at least a little excited about what could be. I don't believe he's a 40-goal scorer anymore, but a 30-goal threat from the second line with Dach and Newhook would make for an impressive 2nd line
I thought McGroarty didn't want to play in Winnipeg

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
I believe our PP has all the components to be a good one, it's weakness is it's QB, I love what Matheson brings to the habs with his speed, motor etc, but he's not good for the powerplay. Hutson will cure alot of our problems, throw in Demidov and I think we're gonna have one of the best PP's in the league in the near future.

Laine is not the need we have for the PP IMO.
Laine plays the same role as Caufield on the PP so i'm not sure how it would work.
With Suzuki playing on the left side of the goal, they can't play the bumper as they are righties and can't one time the puck from Suzuki's passes.
Can't imagine either one of them being happy playing 30 seconds on the second unit.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Laine plays the same role as Caufield on the PP so i'm not sure how it would work.
With Suzuki playing on the left side of the goal, they can't play the bumper as they are righties and can't one time the puck from Suzuki's passes.
Can't imagine either one of them being happy playing 30 seconds on the second unit.

Are you suggesting that the Habs shouldn't acquire Laine because it would hurt Caulfield's feelings?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad