Oshawa Generals 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Disagree. We finished first last year with the same D core minus Punnett. Everyone a year older now too. Marrelli and Danford better than anyone on their back end.

They also lost their best D in Sharpe

Oshawa after a Barlow trade will apparently be without Bedowski as well. I really think the Oshawa D will need work.
Harding is a really good defenceman for the steelheads. Fibigr will be too, I think. Brampton cannot match Barrie and London at the top, but they are legitimately 6 deep.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Took in the exhibition game tonight. Majority of the kids in the lineup. As noted by other posters Griffin looks like he’s ready to take that step. Sinivuori looks like a solid hockey player. Smart played both ends. I think he will adapt quickly. Thought McDonnell has improved his skating. I think O’Toole will become a fan favourite. Loved watching him chirp and he looks like he can back it up. I take rumours with a grain of salt as a few people said Oster does not want to stick in junior this year and wants to leave. I personally doubt that as if he doesn’t sign a pro contract why would he not want a chance to be a top goalie in the league and get a contract. Time will tell.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Some observations from tonight’s game against Kitchener:

Interesting to note that Bedkowski and Delisle were both in the line up playing a regular shift. Delisle had a nice tap in to tie the game late in the 1st period. Bedkowski was rock solid on defence and showing an improved offensive game in terms of stick handling and jumping into the rush.

O’Toole played LW for the entire game and if the intention is to play him up front all season, it would explain why Oshawa traded for him when they already have six defensemen ahead of him. He took a cheap shot from #57 Swick but jumped right back up and immediately dropped his gloves to go after Swick, who wanted no part of that. It cost Oshawa a power play and also cost O’Toole a 10min misconduct. I like the aggressiveness, but he has to be smart about it.

Comparing the top two rookie draft picks, Rogowski looks much better than Smith does at this point. Certainly more physical and playing much faster overall. He and McDonnell combined to crush some poor sap from Kitchener against the boards and the kid just crumpled, left the ice slowly and never returned. As noted during the intra squad scrimmage, Rogowski already has an OHL-level build. Oshawa’s 3rd round pick, Blaseg, is clearly not ready for the OHL.

Sinivouri appears to be a serviceable top six winger. Probably best suited for the 2nd line though. Decent skater and not shy about physical play. He had a nice look to spring Owen Griffin for a breakaway, which Griffin snapped home for a beautiful goal. Most importantly, Sinivouri showed some good defensive responsibility by back checking to break up a Kitchener rush.

Svozil didn’t have any huge mistakes, nor did he have any noteworthy plays. Which is about all you can ask from a bottom pairing defenseman.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I take rumours with a grain of salt as a few people said Oster does not want to stick in junior this year and wants to leave. I personally doubt that as if he doesn’t sign a pro contract why would he not want a chance to be a top goalie in the league and get a contract. Time will tell.

That’s an interesting new rumour about Oster not wanting to play in the OHL any longer.

Was there any whispers of where he wanted to go? Maybe Canadian University hockey? Perhaps a club team in Europe? Or a beer league back home?

If only people could think things through logically before putting out “rumours” like this.

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
That’s an interesting new rumour about Oster not wanting to play in the OHL any longer.

Was there any whispers of where he wanted to go? Maybe Canadian University hockey? Perhaps a club team in Europe? Or a beer league back home?

If only people could think things through logically before putting out “rumours” like this.
I said the same thing to the people saying this. They have some ties albeit far removed from the team and as I stated don’t believe it. Their only “whisper” as I questioned where this magical place was, was pro contract somewhere. I only put this on here to see if someone else is hearing anything with teeth.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I went to the Oshawa game last night and will say Griffin looked exceptional last night.
If the rumoured trade of Delisle + Bedkowski + 6 picks is true i feel like its a steep price.
I think i'd rather see Bedkowski stay for Oshawa's back end and more picks included instead.
UNLESS- Smith is coming back. - But that means D'mato would have to go if Roobroeck came back and Torrence would likely lose his spot?
Oster, Roobroeck, Smith would be a pretty solid OA group. -As would D'amato instead of Smith either way.

I feel like there is going to be a curveball with this Owen Sound trade when it goes down.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I went to the Oshawa game last night and will say Griffin looked exceptional last night.
If the rumoured trade of Delisle + Bedkowski + 6 picks is true i feel like its a steep price.
I think i'd rather see Bedkowski stay for Oshawa's back end and more picks included instead.
UNLESS- Smith is coming back. - But that means D'mato would have to go if Roobroeck came back and Torrence would likely lose his spot?
Oster, Roobroeck, Smith would be a pretty solid OA group. -As would D'amato instead of Smith either way.

I feel like there is going to be a curveball with this Owen Sound trade when it goes down.

I felt like Bedkowsi was worth a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th while Delisle was worth a 3rd and 4th. If that is accurate, then this would equate rather favourably to the Rehkopf deal if we equate picks.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I felt like Bedkowsi was worth a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th while Delisle was worth a 3rd and 4th. If that is accurate, then this would equate rather favourably to the Rehkopf deal if we equate picks.
Not a great comparison imo.
Rehkopf is a 100PT forward.
Barlow is good for 70.
I don't think Barlow is getting quite the return Rehkopf is and Rehkopf return was higher because of it.
That 25-30PT difference counts for something.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

I agree, Griffin has looked great the entire training camp. Having Ritchie/Roobroeck/Griffin down the middle would be unmatched in the league. Could he be ready to step into the second line C role if Roobroeck doesn’t return?

As for a potential trade, this goes back to what I’ve been explaining for weeks - - it makes ZERO sense for Oshawa to get rid of Bedkowski AND D’Amato in order to add Connor with a K Smith.

As yourself which pairing you’d feel more confident with - - Bedkowski and D’Amato or Smith and McDonnell.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
I agree, Griffin has looked great the entire training camp. Having Ritchie/Roobroeck/Griffin down the middle would be unmatched in the league. Could he be ready to step into the second line C role if Roobroeck doesn’t return?

As for a potential trade, this goes back to what I’ve been explaining for weeks - - it makes ZERO sense for Oshawa to get rid of Bedkowski AND D’Amato in order to add Connor with a K Smith.

As yourself which pairing you’d feel more confident with - - Bedkowski and D’Amato or Smith and McDonnell.
I can't really make sense of the trade how it's been rumoured on here.
Originally, It was supposed to be Barlow for picks. Now people are saying 2 players are involved which i do not know if there's any substance too.
I'm sure it's gotten overly complicated and probably is one of the reasons Hunt is dragging his feet a bit on it.
My takeaways would be i don't like seeing either Griffen or Bedkowski involved.
Maybe they can find a way to ship Delise and Torrence there for more picks.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Well logically ALL OA's want to be done with OHL hockey by the time they're 20. The want pro contracts. It doesn't mean they are going anywhere technically. Just means they are frustrated that they aren't moving up in the ranks.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Well logically ALL OA's want to be done with OHL hockey by the time they're 20. The want pro contracts. It doesn't mean they are going anywhere technically. Just means they are frustrated that they aren't moving up in the ranks.

What’s the best option for an OA who doesn’t yet have a contract - - leave the OHL or play his ass off as an OA and earn an NHL contract like Connor Punnett did last year?

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
What’s the best option for an OA who doesn’t yet have a contract - - leave the OHL or play his ass off as an OA and earn an NHL contract like Connor Punnett did last year?
Play in the OHL. Not disagreeing about that.

Someone saying "I heard OA x doesn't want to play OHL anymore," doesn't necessarily mean they are leaving the OHL.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Originally, It was supposed to be Barlow for picks. Now people are saying 2 players are involved which i do not know if there's any substance too.
I'm sure it's gotten overly complicated and probably is one of the reasons Hunt is dragging his feet a bit on it.

I’d advocate for keeping Delisle along with Bedkowski and Griffin in Oshawa.

If you’re going “all in” for a championship run, it defies logic to sacrifice the middle six forward lines and second pairing defence just to add one star.

Adding more draft picks along with young 4th line players/press box scratches makes infinitely more sense.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
it’s two players (the ones mentioned) and 6 picks. It’s being pushed off until Barlow is reassigned

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
it’s two players (the ones mentioned) and 6 picks. It’s being pushed off until Barlow is reassigned
Are you surprised those 2 players are still playing in the pre season? One injury and I would think that deal is off unless there’s a backup plan in place. That being said I’d imagine it would have to be a season ending injury to take it off the table

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not a great comparison imo.
Rehkopf is a 100PT forward.
Barlow is good for 70.
I don't think Barlow is getting quite the return Rehkopf is and Rehkopf return was higher because of it.
That 25-30PT difference counts for something.

You know how it works. High NHL pick etc. Typically higher valued than a low NHL pick with higher output. The sense is that Barlow on a Contending team scores 50+ goals and with a bigger body and higher pedigree is more likely to maintain scoring levels in the playoffs when the going gets tougher. So, from an OHL landscape perspective, I think they are moderately equatable. Or at least justified. The two players plus two 2nds, two 3rds, a 7th, and 10th (I think that was the pick base), adding the pick value of Bedkowski and Delisle equates the two deals.

Barlow: three 2nds, Four 3rds, two 4ths, 7th, 10th
Rehkopf: three 2nds, three 3rds, three 4ths, 7th

Again, this assumes Bedkowski is with a 2nd, 3rd, 4th while Delisle is worth 3rd and 4th.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
You know how it works. High NHL pick etc. Typically higher valued than a low NHL pick with higher output. The sense is that Barlow on a Contending team scores 50+ goals and with a bigger body and higher pedigree is more likely to maintain scoring levels in the playoffs when the going gets tougher. So, from an OHL landscape perspective, I think they are moderately equatable. Or at least justified. The two players plus two 2nds, two 3rds, a 7th, and 10th (I think that was the pick base), adding the pick value of Bedkowski and Delisle equates the two deals.

Barlow: three 2nds, Four 3rds, two 4ths, 7th, 10th
Rehkopf: three 2nds, three 3rds, three 4ths, 7th

Again, this assumes Bedkowski is with a 2nd, 3rd, 4th while Delisle is worth 3rd and 4th.
I agree that GM's will roughly value them the same.

I hold a different opinion. Barlow indeed could be a 50 goal player on Oshawa. He doesn't distribute the puck though. He's not hitting 100 pts. Points are points. Someone scores on the play whether you get the G or the A. If Rehkopf is contributing on say 110 scoring plays, that's a bit better than say 80. Plus if Barlow is having an off night getting scoring chances, that's kind of it. Meanwhile Rehkopf can at least set up his team mates if he's not the one lighting the lamp. Goals are sexy but GM's should not be valuing these guys the same.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
This one isn't passing the sniff test to me after talking to some more sources so i will refrain from commenting until the deals done for now.

Reactions: Donnie740

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree that GM's will roughly value them the same.

I hold a different opinion. Barlow indeed could be a 50 goal player on Oshawa. He doesn't distribute the puck though. He's not hitting 100 pts. Points are points. Someone scores on the play whether you get the G or the A. If Rehkopf is contributing on say 110 scoring plays, that's a bit better than say 80. Plus if Barlow is having an off night getting scoring chances, that's kind of it. Meanwhile Rehkopf can at least set up his team mates if he's not the one lighting the lamp. Goals are sexy but GM's should not be valuing these guys the same.

To me, it comes down to preference. If you have a team with some solid goal scorers then maybe you need a strong setup guy. Or vice versa.

Tomato - Tomahto

There are about four elite wingers likely to come available. Maybe the other ones aren’t on the market yet and teams want to jump on the one available because the others may not become available. Cost is higher? Who knows?

Personally, I like Barlow but I don’t see a big gap between any of Barlow, Romani, Pinelli, and Misa from an impact point of view. Some different attributes amongst them but all are productive.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Delisle is definitely worth more than that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad