HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I am telling you guys that the pairing of Mailloux with Xhekaj was excellent last season in Laval. That is a legitimate NHL future pairing.

Ditto Hutson - Reinbacher....

And if Kony makes the jump successfully, he and Guhle could form one heck of a pairing as well.

Guhle Konyushkov
Hutson Reinbacher
Xhekaj Mailloux

Size, speed, grit, skill, scoring, shut down... A lot of everything in that group

Matheson & Harris bridge the gap next year

Barron, Engstrom, Strubble, Protz, offering up some backstop & competition

Future is bright 😎

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Yes you are right. If we've learned anything at all from two seasons ago it's a good idead to spell the rookies more than we did.

But that isn't what is being argued.
Saying Hutson has secured a top 4 berth based on 2 meaningless games at the end of the season is.
Hutson as a second pairing on a team who is committed to trying to win more games isn't happening out of the gate unless he kills it in camp.

I suggested that if he makes the team he's probably a third pairing sheltered guy with PP2 time.
I also suggested that if he is to be the quarterback on our top PP it might be better for him to hone his skills with heavy minutes and PP1 time in Laval.
Someone calling that assessment blind and delusional has an ulterior motive or bias.
One side of the debate is flexible and the other is not. :popcorn:
He is just ready. I don’t know where he will play be he will be a regular. Pairs change a lot during the season because of injuries so there’s that.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Using your size as a forward -- as a goal-scoring forward -- doesn't mean being a forechecking monster, hitting everything that moves. It means using your big frame to get into the positions YOU want to and using your power to ensure you remain where you want to be. I don't know enough about Laine to say he plays one way or the other but his career stats are very good. He missed a lot of the recent point inflation, keep in mind.

If he's fully fit he will score over 60pts this coming season, likely closer to 80pts and PPG. Hopefully it's with a team that needs him in their top6... couldn't be ours though, our top6 is very good, it has Michael Hage coming in three years.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Columbus does not have to trade Laine if all they get are crap offers. They do not need the salary cap space, and would be better served to hang onto him and hope he can rebound from the past three seasons instead of giving him away for a poor return.

That would give the Habs about $19M on LTIR between Price and Laine. I don't think they would want to carry that much -- it's one of the reasons they traded away Weber's contract to Vegas.
They definitely don't have to, but players get traded all the time if there's any sort of negativity surrounding them that could affect the team or the environment. Cammy got traded from here for one bad interview where he was taken out of context and Laine has way more baggage.

Waddell's the new guy there, he may just want a clean slate/fresh start. Not saying we'd get Laine for absolutely nothing but I think the Blue Jackets would like the cap flexibility getting rid of him could provide going forward. I think there's a deal to be made.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Using your size as a forward -- as a goal-scoring forward -- doesn't mean being a forechecking monster, hitting everything that moves. It means using your big frame to get into the positions YOU want to and using your power to ensure you remain where you want to be. I don't know enough about Laine to say he plays one way or the other but his career stats are very good. He missed a lot of the recent point inflation, keep in mind.
This is what I tell the fat bastards on my rec hockey team too. We still get no results :(

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
They definitely don't have to, but players get traded all the time if there's any sort of negativity surrounding them that could affect the team or the environment. Cammy got traded from here for one bad interview where he was taken out of context and Laine has way more baggage.

Waddell's the new guy there, he may just want a clean slate/fresh start. Not saying we'd get Laine for absolutely nothing but I think the Blue Jackets would like the cap flexibility getting rid of him could provide going forward. I think there's a deal to be made.
The fact remains, he asked to be traded. He has too much value not to and someone will pay the price. Just look at the Dubois situation. Anything is possible.

Reactions: themilosh

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
This is what I tell the fat bastards on my rec hockey team too. We still get no results :(
i say, you salty dog!

I don’t think Waddell will deal Laine unless he’s blown away by an offer…. which won’t happen at present, so CBJ will keep him and bank on culture change turning the situation around
a change of environment, doesn't come with a new GM... same arena, same players, same city... Try asking people in Rehab if they think it is a good idea to go back to where they came from (which presumably led to rehab in the first place).

• Love
Reactions: Habs

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
i say, you salty dog!

a change of environment, doesn't come with a new GM... same arena, same players, same city... Try asking people in Rehab if they think it is a good idea to go back to where they came from (which presumably led to rehab in the first place).
Is he in substance rehab? I thought he had sought mental health assistance.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
i say, you salty dog!

Our new GM made all kinds of differences, than the old clown, so..................................maybe a new GM DOES change the environment, in all different ways.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Is he in substance rehab? I thought he had sought mental health assistance.
Anybody in rehab has mental "issues" to deal with.. substance abuse is typically a byproduct of underlying Mental issues, those who suffer typically take substances to numb their pain. Either way, you don't come back to the source (typically).
Price- never played again
Drudru- went to COL

Both were in the program, but only one had a substance problem. I think it would be gross negligence on Waddell to play hardball with Laine = he needs a new environment to play in.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Our new GM made all kinds of differences, than the old clown, so..................................maybe a new GM DOES change the environment, in all different ways.
I disagree, but that's just opinion.. im not sure the extent of Laine's illness, i mean there could be a possibility he has far more serious things hes dealing with - who knows? But asking him to chin-up and be a man/ stay put (bc we couldnt get more in a trade), never works.

Reactions: Benstheman

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
P. Tomasino (RFA)
for
J.Barron (RFA)
Im so disenchanted with middling-middling trades... a true contender has the depth to fill in bottom 6F and bottom 2D.. if we need that extra for a playoff push then fine, but at the beggining of the year? What message does that send to all the players in the system who are working their arses off.
Tomasino takes the spot of Beck/Hage/Kapanen = is that what youd prefer?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Im so disenchanted with middling-middling trades... a true contender has the depth to fill in bottom 6F and bottom 2D.. if we need that extra for a playoff push then fine, but at the beggining of the year? What message does that send to all the players in the system who are working their arses off.
Tomasino takes the spot of Beck/Hage/Kapanen = is that what youd prefer?
None of those forwards will be on the team this season. Tomasino would have the year to show what he can do. There is more likely to be a defenseman that is ready for the spot Barron will be occupying. I like Tomasino but I expect Barron would only be moved if HuGo feels he will won't have the hockey sense to be adequate defensivley.

Reactions: themilosh

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
None of those forwards will be on the team this season. Tomasino would have the year to show what he can do. There is more likely to be a defenseman that is ready for the spot Barron will be occupying. I like Tomasino but I expect Barron would only be moved if HuGo feels he will won't have the hockey sense to be adequate defensivley.
Then we have Evans/Dvorak.. we're loaded at bottom 6 Cs.. i just think we have to see what this lineup can do (with Dach).. if Dach gets injured again, then we know we have to move on from him... and i dont think Tomasino is the answer, but rather a "Necas" type trade would be required.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
i say, you salty dog!

IMO Monahan will have a significant positive impact in that locker room - I expect Gaudreau’s game to pick up.

CBJ have always been known to have one of the best owners in the league who will do anything for his players - if anything John McConnell gives his management & players too much leeway

Regarding rehab, Laine was very close to his father who passed away 10-months after being dealt to CBJ. I don’t presume to know what led him to rehab or what he’s rehabbing from but a strong team bond of care I would think can help get through the process

As Nate Thompson said he was a substance abuser from his early teens & Ana locker room turned him around, at start of his 3rd season with the team… it’s also about the individual wanting a change towards a better life

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
P. Tomasino (RFA)
for
J.Barron (RFA)

Not worth making that trade. If we are so desperate to move Barron and he's not in a (Laine trade for example), just trade Barron for future picks.

Adding another middle 6F or bottom 6F does not do anything for this team. I rather keep Barron and see where he is after the maturity/experience process plays out.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes you are right. If we've learned anything at all from two seasons ago it's a good idead to spell the rookies more than we did.

But that isn't what is being argued.
Saying Hutson has secured a top 4 berth based on 2 meaningless games at the end of the season is.
Hutson as a second pairing on a team who is committed to trying to win more games isn't happening out of the gate unless he kills it in camp.

I suggested that if he makes the team he's probably a third pairing sheltered guy with PP2 time.
I also suggested that if he is to be the quarterback on our top PP it might be better for him to hone his skills with heavy minutes and PP1 time in Laval.
Someone calling that assessment blind and delusional has an ulterior motive or bias.
One side of the debate is flexible and the other is not. :popcorn:

Well said. Way too many gullible fans penciling in Hutson on our roster. That day will come but he's got a long way to go to mature against men in his own zone.

Some fans need to realize we are not the Leafs. Don't spoil the kid by evaluating him on offense alone and completely forget about his D coverage. Best to have Hutson work on how to be trusted in his own zone as the first step. His offensive ability will always be there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Well said. Way too many gullible fans penciling in Hutson on our roster. That day will come but he's got a long way to go to mature against men in his own zone.

Some fans need to realize we are not the Leafs. Don't spoil the kid by evaluating him on offense along and completely forget about his D coverage. Best to have Hutson work on how to be trusted in his own zone as the first step. His offensive ability will always be there.
I'd be fine with this thinking if there were other sure fire top-4 D to take that spot instead.

Right now we have Matheson, Guhle, Savard. You need a 4th. And Struble, Harris, Xhekaj, Reinbacher, Barron, Mailloux and whoever else aren't exactly proven top 4 D either.

Hutson makes the team out of camp, no question. He only improves in the D zone by playing against actual NHL caliber opponents. Put him with Savard for 50 games before Savard gets traded to Tampa at the deadline.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
It now seems that Necas will stay for at least the year in Carolina, so he's probably out of the "available" forwards for now

I have a very strong feeling that Cheveldayoff will do what he does best with McGroarty: wait it out. I'd wager he signs him after the end of this NCAA season in time for the playoffs (if the Jets are in the run)

Zegras is still there I guess. I don't know if he's on the radar now that Demidov has been picked. The return is reportedly astronomical

Laine is interesting but a lot of it lies on the mistery IMO. Is he even going to play this season? Hockey has never really been his passion per his own admission. Still... if the ask is indeed low, the Habs have the cap and the term is short, it's hard to be at least a little excited about what could be. I don't believe he's a 40-goal scorer anymore, but a 30-goal threat from the second line with Dach and Newhook would make for an impressive 2nd line

Reactions: BLONG7

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
The projected top-6 as it stands now is IMO being somewhat underrated by some here, even when considering how the "unproven" it is. I sorted the forwards by P/GP with a minimum of 45 games to see where Dach and Newhook fare. Considering there are 32 teams, established second liners should range between late 90th to around 160th while accounting for TOI and team strength. This list does fluctuate a lot because of rising young players and falling vets

At 128th, Newhook last season was exaclty the best of the 5th forwards in the league. Of note, here are some players in his "category" of 5th forward that he ranked above: Jordan Eberle, Morgan Frost, Elias Lindholm, Dylan Cozens (who is the same age btw), Josh Norris, Philip Danault, JJ Peterka, Joel Farebee. It's honestly pretty good company and he produced the lion share of his points with linemates less talented and productive than he was

Dach is harder to define considering how little he played last season and that he had 1st liner deployment 2 seasons ago. Still, the same can be said about a lot of the elite 2nd liners. If we pool the last two seasons, he's 117th, a little under the average of 4th best forwards. He ranks above some names like PLD, Vatrano, Rakell, Coyle, Perron, Bjrokstrand

Considering that these guys are actively getting better and got little support from the defence to produce, this is the making of a solid 2nd line. Change the names for Farabee and Bjorkstrand and people would say the Habs have a goood 2nd line with one missing element

Roy is the most unknown quantity though. He showed some brilliance last season and will be a very 2nd liner IMO, but I'd prefer him on the 3rd line for now. He'd bring much needed playmaking to the hypothetical 3rd line of Dvorak and Armia while still being sheltered from tougher competition. As of now he's the 6th forward though. Gallagher's production in the last 10 games was definitely a flash in the pan

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Nobody thinks he's a perfect defensive player but he doesn't need to be a perfect defender to be a clearly better option than Harris or Struble. He's making the team out of camp.

Reactions: tazsub3

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

Some fans need to realize we are not the Leafs. Don't spoil the kid by evaluating him on offense along and completely forget about his D coverage. Best to have Hutson work on how to be trusted in his own zone as the first step. His offensive ability will always be there.
Hutson will be in the lineup from day 1 unless something unexpected happens in the camp because:
A- watch the highlights video from his 2nd game. At 3:48 when he misses the shootout, look at Robidas and Letowski. They are happy like little boys who just found their first P0rn magazine because they see that elite skill.
B- Hutson is not an easy player to promote to NHL. He is weak and has significant defensive flaws therefore you need to protect him. We need to capitalize from presence of David Savard as much as possible. Hutson needs to play at least 50 games with Savard before we trade him at TDL. He just came out of university, this would be his 6 month internship.
Succesful rebuild means you promote your top prospects to NHL, but it requires time, patience and a lot of focus to be successful. This year, we promote Hutson, Roy and maybe Mailloux once Savard is traded. Next year you have Reinbacher, Demidov, Beck/Kapanen. Those are 6 key players who will require a lot of attention and if we want to be successful, I would assume at least 4 need to be executed well.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad