HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
The only one of the above four players that I personally would be interested in the Habs acquiring would be McGroarty. I don't think Carolina is interested in trading Necas anymore after all their UFA defections, Laine I have discussed before (too in jury-prone to take the risk based on what Columbus will probably want), and Zegras would be adding another offense-only forward when the team already has Caufield and Demidov soon.

McGroarty would give the Habs a bigger, grittier addition to the forward group, and at probably the least cost. Of course, he also poses some risk since he is still a prospect who hasn't played a single game as a pro. I just think he would be the best fit, and worth the gamble.
Laine's value is extremely hard to measure. Columbus can 'want' things all they please but he makes 8.7 million a year, hates playing there, and is still in the player's assistance program. Someone willing eat the whole contract for both years may drive the price way, way down compared to a team who may want to retain.

I honestly believe he's the most realistic option if we're going trade route. Like you said, Necas probably won't be dealt now.

Could be tactics/leaks from the Jets but everything I've heard about McGroarty's camp during this saga I haven't liked.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Laine's value is extremely hard to measure. Columbus can 'want' things all they please but he makes 8.7 million a year, hates playing there, and is still in the player's assistance program. Someone willing eat the whole contract for both years may drive the price way, way down compared to a team who may want to retain.

I honestly believe he's the most realistic option if we're going trade route. Like you said, Necas probably won't be dealt now.

Could be tactics/leaks from the Jets but everything I've heard about McGroarty's camp during this saga I haven't liked.
KH takes a chance for 2 years, if he gets sick again. He can go on LTIR again?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Don't fall for it. The Flyers character assassinated Cutter Gauthier too. It's sour grapes and extremely tasteless but some organizations are filled with macho dudes who can't handle coming up short against a hapless teenager.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I don’t think Waddell will deal Laine unless he’s blown away by an offer…. which won’t happen at present, so CBJ will keep him and bank on culture change turning the situation around

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023

I think the Blue Jackets have two options:
1- trade him with a lot of money retained and get decent assets in return.
2- trade him at full salary (or close) and get little to no assets back.

I think they'll prefer option 1 since they have plenty of cap space, unless their owner is really cheap.
But the only way i see the Habs being interested is option 2 since Laine will probably be a short term stop gap with an outside chance of being a long term solution. I don't see them wanting to waste a lot of assets on him.

Ultimately, it will depend on the number of teams interested and where Laine accepts to go play but i'll be surprised if he becomes a Hab.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Taking Laine is a low risk move for us. We have that 8.7M cap space anyway. His trade value will not be high unless CBJ retain big chunk of his salary.
If he gets injured, he will stay on LTIR. If he does not fit our locker room, they can trade him away with retention after one year.
If Laine wants to come to MTl, I would try it.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Taking Laine is a low risk move for us. We have that 8.7M cap space anyway. His trade value will not be high unless CBJ retain big chunk of his salary.
If he gets injured, he will stay on LTIR. If he does not fit our locker room, they can trade him away with retention after one year.
If Laine wants to come to MTl, I would try it.
Low risk...............high reward.

Get it done HuGo !!

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

Columbus does not have to trade Laine if all they get are crap offers. They do not need the salary cap space, and would be better served to hang onto him and hope he can rebound from the past three seasons instead of giving him away for a poor return.

That would give the Habs about $19M on LTIR between Price and Laine. I don't think they would want to carry that much -- it's one of the reasons they traded away Weber's contract to Vegas.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Matheson and Calgary/Florida's 2025 1st for Rasmus Andersson.

Then Calgary can keep Matheson or trade him next season for another 1st round.

Habs D lineup for 2024-2025:

Guhle-Andersson
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Barron
Struble-Harris

Reinbacher comes in for Savard after TDL or next season.

Mailloux replaces Barron if he's shiting the bed again or when he is traded during the season.
Matheson has an 8 team no trade clause. I don't think he would want to go play in Calgary.
Calgary look like they're going for a rebuild so I don't think he would fit there anyway.

And i think that would be an overpayment.
Calgary/Florida's 2025 1st and Barron is an offer more in line with both teams are trying to do.
Calgary is trying to get younger and the Habs could have at least a veteran on each of their D pairs for the coming season.

And the good thing is Andersson has no trade protection, so the Habs could flip him anytime they want.

With rumors of them trading Kadri, the Habs could even add Price's contract in the deal to help them reach the cap floor.

Guhlay

Feb 18, 2020
I am telling you guys that the pairing of Mailloux with Xhekaj was excellent last season in Laval. That is a legitimate NHL future pairing.
So true man

I would also love to see Guhle with Barron Who had relative success together with team Canada. If we wanna see if Barron can be a fixture i think that's the way to go

Reactions: Tyson

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
If he is ready to handle the Montreal pressure and Columbus just wants his contract to go away...I would take a former 40 goal scorer who is 6'5 and is entering his prime. It's not like there is 5 years on his contract after all
Even a 30 goal man with his size and shot.

IF he is feeling better, lets hope he is

Reactions: Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Blind and delusional, there solved it for you.

1 - Why would Hutson sign a contract when he could have stayed in college?
He won't see a day of AHL unless he gets hurt, because the big club made a promise to play him in NHL in order to sign him.

2 - So who do you send on PP2 instead of Hutson? Barron?

3 - Quinn Hughes was not Quinn Hughes after 2 games. No amount of AHL time will make him more ready for the NHL. He ain't Reinbacher or Mailloux, let him evolve where the talent is.
The Big Club promised to play him last season and burn his ELC.
They did not promise to play him this season.
They are paying him 1.4 M to do what ever they tell him to do and play where ever they tell him to play.
Hutson is not living a different reality than Barron or Xhekaj or Struble or Harris.

It's one thing for you to say I believe Hutson has surpassed so and so and will make the team.
It's completely a different thing to say he's already a top 4 Dman and is guaranteed his spot.

Hutson is entering his FIRST camp and will have to displace a left handed Dman who already has traction.

You don't agree fine by me but the delusion isn't found on my side of the argument.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
lol at people thinking Hutson won’t make the team from training camp.

I will say something though. He will sit a certain amount of games because he is not physically ready to play 82 games.
Yes you are right. If we've learned anything at all from two seasons ago it's a good idead to spell the rookies more than we did.

But that isn't what is being argued.
Saying Hutson has secured a top 4 berth based on 2 meaningless games at the end of the season is.
Hutson as a second pairing on a team who is committed to trying to win more games isn't happening out of the gate unless he kills it in camp.

I suggested that if he makes the team he's probably a third pairing sheltered guy with PP2 time.
I also suggested that if he is to be the quarterback on our top PP it might be better for him to hone his skills with heavy minutes and PP1 time in Laval.
Someone calling that assessment blind and delusional has an ulterior motive or bias.
One side of the debate is flexible and the other is not. :popcorn:

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Necas unfortunately might be off the table now that Kuznetsov is gone. They didn't have the money to extend both Necas and Jarvis previously but with Kuznetsov's 4M gone they can now afford to keep both.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Necas unfortunately might be off the table now that Kuznetsov is gone. They didn't have the money to extend both Necas and Jarvis previously but with Kuznetsov's 4M gone they can now afford to keep both.
I don’t think Necas was ever really going to be dealt unless someone was willing to severely overpay… which wasn’t going to happen as it turned out

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
What good is being 6’5 if you don’t use it. He averages less than 1 hit a game in his career
Guys who hit a lot don’t have the puck. Maybe 30 goal scorers do, might be part of it.

I would be absolutely genuinely shocked if Hutson doesn’t make the team out of camp
Same. He looked so comfortable his 2 games, even a difference maker. I am also not aligned with those saying he needs to take Matheson’s spot on pp1; as much as it usually makes sense, it seems as straightforward as playing a goalie in nets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad