HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I might get in trouble here but personally I think Mailloux is more ready than Hutson in terms of overall and physical play
Physical play... yeah. Almost certainly.

Depending on Hutson's conditioning, he might do a bit of time in the AHL. Honestly though, he's already shown he's ready for the show. He's probably in from game one onward.

I think we're all worried about his lack of size though. And we probably always will be. :laugh:

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Well they all point to his points per game as if that’s to be expected playing 2nd line minutes here and likely not even on PP1 because he’s not taking Cole’s spot. Doesn’t seem to concern them that he hasn’t played over 60 games in like 5-6 seasons or that he’s shit defensively. All for $9m per year.
I see where you're coming from. I probably wouldn't be for going for Laine, if I was the one paying 9m per year.

I'm not one of those posters with incredibly high expectations. What I've looked closely at is the two years left on his contract. I"ve also said that I'd be willing to make the trade if we could do it using excess players and draft picks. If the BJ's want something unreasonable for him. They can get bent.

As of this moment, Roy hasn't shown me quite enough that he's ready for full time top six minutes. So starting him off on the 3rd line, seems reasonable to me. Though it could change any minute. Demidov isn't due until next season. I know this is gonna piss off some people. lol But I'd like to see him over here, before annointing him as the "Next One".

So adding Laine won't effect us in the short term. Even if he comes in at say 50% the player he once was. On the plus side, he's still fairly young, he could still become say 80% of his potential.

So I can relate to those of you who are against obtaining him. I'd personally be willing to take the risk.

I might get in trouble here but personally I think Mailloux is more ready than Hutson in terms of overall and physical play
It's possible. Which is why this year I'm looking forward to training camp, more than normal. There's going to be some very interesting battles this year.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
We won't carry 9 defensemen when most of them are young and need minutes.
Expect Laval or a trade of one of one of the younger ones for top 6 help.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Mailloux and Hutson should make the team
I wouldn't bet on it unless they are lights out at camp. If that were the case, Hughes would have been more aggressive in trading the likes of Harris/Struble to make room for them.

Guhle/Matheson/Savard/Xhekaj/Harris/Struble/Barron will likely be the starting 7 until Hughes trades away more guys. There's nothing wrong with having Mailloux/Hutson/Reinbacher playing in the AHL to start, they will make the big team in no time.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Mailloux and Hutson should make the team

Should be a competition between Reinbacher and Mailloux IF/when Savard leaves for that top 4 spot.

They can stay in the AHL and play 25+ minutes there in the meantime, not interested in having them play less than 20 minutes EVER.

My theory is that Hughes will play Hutson to see if he can trade Matheson.
Savard will be used until Jan/Feb then be traded (that's no matter what, maybe a bit before if Mailloux/Reinbacher show themselves ahead of schedule a bit)

If he can trade Matheson, Guhle will be shifted back to LD and we'll see our contending top 4 for the first time.

Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson - Reinbacher

They will suck for a 1 year but that's ok/good they need to do it. The Habs in 1993 had many ready young Ds like this.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I wouldn't bet on it unless they are lights out at camp. If that were the case, Hughes would have been more aggressive in trading the likes of Harris/Struble to make room for them.

Guhle/Matheson/Savard/Xhekaj/Harris/Struble/Barron will likely be the starting 7 until Hughes trades away more guys. There's nothing wrong with having Mailloux/Hutson/Reinbacher playing in the AHL to start, they will make the big team in no time.
I agree. What you stated as the starting 7 should be about what the Habs start off with, except for maybe Struble as he doesn't have to clear waivers. I like to think Xheraj has a career in Montreal, and Guhle certainly does, so Harris and Barron need to show their best if they have any hope to stay with the team, as their time is about up.

I figured Savard would get traded at the TDL and I know people are dying to trade him , but if he wants to stay here on a shortish deal then maybe we look at it because the team is still in need of veteran D.

Mailloux , Hutson , Engstrom and Reinbacher will all get big league minutes.

People have written off Anderson prematurely. I don't know what happened to him other than he played well but was snake bit the first part if the year, started scoring briefly, and then mailed it in for the rest of the year. This guy scored 21 the year before and if he shakes off whatever is going on between the ears he can be back at 20 goals just like that, and then he is a valuable tradeable asset again. Or he is done, which people have already factored in.

Armia has to be gone by TDL, guessing for a 2nd.

Gallagher is not tradeable.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I think Hutson makes it day one.

I have been advocating for him to get an AHL stint but he was so dominant on his call up that I think they’ll just start him there.

A lot will depend on how much muscle he’s able to add over the summer.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I agree. What you stated as the starting 7 should be about what the Habs start off with, except for maybe Struble as he doesn't have to clear waivers. I like to think Xheraj has a career in Montreal, and Guhle certainly does, so Harris and Barron need to show their best if they have any hope to stay with the team, as their time is about up.

I figured Savard would get traded at the TDL and I know people are dying to trade him , but if he wants to stay here on a shortish deal then maybe we look at it because the team is still in need of veteran D.

Mailloux , Hutson , Engstrom and Reinbacher will all get big league minutes.

People have written off Anderson prematurely. I don't know what happened to him other than he played well but was snake bit the first part if the year, started scoring briefly, and then mailed it in for the rest of the year. This guy scored 21 the year before and if he shakes off whatever is going on between the ears he can be back at 20 goals just like that, and then he is a valuable tradeable asset again. Or he is done, which people have already factored in.

Armia has to be gone by TDL, guessing for a 2nd.

Gallagher is not tradeable.
Savard was not getting traded last deadline unless an overwhelming offer was made. At least a 1st round pick. He probably will be at this deadline if he is marketable.

Reactions: MXD and salbutera

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If you are blind they don`t.
LOL
Not blind just being realistic.
Claiming Hutson has made the team off the back of two meaningless games at the end of the season is wack.
0-2-2 and a -2 does not scream top four guaranteed out of the gate.
He is going to need heavy minutes and PP1 time that he isn't going to get in Montreal without proving himself.
Quinn Hughes he ain't.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
That's almost the exact percentage of games Laine has played in over the last four seasons. Last year Laine played in 18 games.

You've said that it's an awful top six. Back it up.

What do you think they get if healthy?

Again, this isn't a trick question or a gotcha. If you want to have a debate, be honest about it. What do you think these guys project at?

Stop evading the questions with 'Gosh I really don't know'. If you don't know, then don't sit there and tell us it's a terrible top six.
You’re expecting all three of them AND all three of our top6 to improve. Simply put… do you hear yourself?

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
*Roy and Dach are uncertainties in terms of health.
*Talks about adding Laine.

Some people are born with the innate faculty to make absolutely no sense.
I expect him to be healthy because he wasn’t in rehab all season but rather therapy. He’s probably physically awesome and not worn out.

In any case, I want him for depth and at a depth price. If he was available for a big trade haul I wouldn’t want him.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I expect him to be healthy because he wasn’t in rehab all season but rather therapy. He’s probably physically awesome and not worn out.

In any case, I want him for depth and at a depth price. If he was available for a big trade haul I wouldn’t want him.

Laine missed significant playing time in the previous two seasons, as well. Expecting him to be healthy is a stretch -- "hoping he can stay healthy" would be a better way to approach the situation.

Honest question that I do not know the answer to: what are the roster implications to having $19M worth of player salaries on LTIR? With Price already there, should Laine be acquired and subsequently need to be placed on LTIR, that's about what the Habs would have in salary there -- assuming no other player also needs to go on that list.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
LOL
Not blind just being realistic.
Claiming Hutson has made the team off the back of two meaningless games at the end of the season is wack.
0-2-2 and a -2 does not scream top four guaranteed out of the gate.
He is going to need heavy minutes and PP1 time that he isn't going to get in Montreal without proving himself.
Quinn Hughes he ain't.

Blind and delusional, there solved it for you.

1 - Why would Hutson sign a contract when he could have stayed in college?
He won't see a day of AHL unless he gets hurt, because the big club made a promise to play him in NHL in order to sign him.

2 - So who do you send on PP2 instead of Hutson? Barron?

3 - Quinn Hughes was not Quinn Hughes after 2 games. No amount of AHL time will make him more ready for the NHL. He ain't Reinbacher or Mailloux, let him evolve where the talent is.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Laine missed significant playing time in the previous two seasons, as well. Expecting him to be healthy is a stretch -- "hoping he can stay healthy" would be a better way to approach the situation.

Honest question that I do not know the answer to: what are the roster implications to having $19M worth of player salaries on LTIR? With Price already there, should Laine be acquired and subsequently need to be placed on LTIR, that's about what the Habs would have in salary there -- assuming no other player also needs to go on that list.
“We need depth because our players are for sure going to get injured. So let’s bring in an injury prone, expensive vet in the player assistance program to solve the problem…”

Reactions: Paddy17 and dralaf

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think Habs will eventually trade for Laine unless there’s some information about him that’s not public that turns them away. They have the space, with more coming next year, the term is perfect and they need a game breaking winger to add depth and scoring threat. If they also manage to get Demidov over, which I think has more likelihood than most would think, they’d have a very competitive, young team that will begin to push and learn to win. A lot more depth than part years and should make several players available for trade during the year to add even more picks, prospects and depth. Can you imagine an opening night roster of:

Cole Suzuki Slaf
Laine Dach Demidov
Roy Evans Newhook
Armia Dvo Gally/Anderson

Matheson Guhle
Hutson Savard
Xhekaj Barron
Harris Struble

That’s a playoff contending lineup.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
“We need depth because our players are for sure going to get injured. So let’s bring in an injury prone, expensive vet in the player assistance program to solve the problem…”
and that hurts how? Dach had a major injury and yet he is coming back.
you just don't know

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think Hutson makes it day one.

I have been advocating for him to get an AHL stint but he was so dominant on his call up that I think they’ll just start him there.

A lot will depend on how much muscle he’s able to add over the summer.
Hutson was not dominant. He had one nice move each game which panned out. They won't always turn into points. He won't come near Matheson's 62 points of last year.

Lane also gaffed in OT which helped cost us the first of the two games. He didn't have the foot speed to recover like Guhle or Matheson could.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Hutson won't be handed a spot 'because'.

He'll have to earn it, like everyone else, and he certainly didn't earn it cause of those 2 games at the very end of the season.

You want hard workers, not pandered f***ers.

Reactions: Rapala

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Yeah the chance of all 3 making the team out of camp is almost nil. That said I think there's a pretty good chance that one of them makes it and we either go 8 D, or Struble gets sent down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad