HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Marner talk is a hilarious.. he's cried in multiple playoff games, folds in every playoff series he's in, his dad is a f***ing nightmare of a human and projects all of his shit into contract negotiations so he's overpaid and jealous of his teammates who make more than him.

Hughes and Gorton wouldn't take him if they were paid to.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I wonder what it would cost to acquire Laine.

If healthy, he could push Caulfield down to the second line. That's how Laine would improve the Habs. Not because he'd be better than Caulfield on the 1st line, but because Caulfield would improve the second line.

Laine-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Caulfield-Dach-Newhook
Armia-Dvorak-Roy
Anderson-Evans-Gallagher
Spares: Pezzetta, Harvey-Pinard

Of course, one of those 13 other names might end up going the other way in a Laine trade.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
All the talk about Marner...and nobody talk about...Matthews.

Marner is not the captain..Matthews is and look at him as a leader......not good.

Marner is soft , weak comes playoffs...ok then look at Matthews also...Marner has better numbers in the playoffs and at least he is playing defensively and on the P.k.

Matthews is 6.3 and he does not not play physical at all.

Matthews has a free pass exactly because is 6.3 and Marner is 5.10 but comes playoffs I see Matthews even worse than Marner....

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010

Marner is not the captain..Matthews is and look at him as a leader......not good.

Marner is soft , weak comes playoffs...ok then look at Matthews also...Marner has better numbers in the playoffs and at least he is playing defensively and on the P.k.

Matthews has a free pass exactly because is 6.3 and Marner is 5.10 but comes playoffs I see Matthews even worse than Marner....
Nobody talks about Matthews? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: dinodebino

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Both severely overpaid cream puffs.

I think that Nylander is the only Toronto core forward with genuine value.

• Haha
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

John Tavares is currently the captain of the Leafs (unless they made a change I wasn’t aware of).

I’m pretty sure the reason people are talking about Marner in the trade thread is because he is an upcoming UFA next offseason and is, possibly, on the trade block. If he gets an extension, like Matthews got, the talk about Marner in this thread probably goes away.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
John Tavares is currently the captain of the Leafs (unless they made a change I wasn’t aware of).

I’m pretty sure the reason people are talking about Marner in the trade thread is because he is an upcoming UFA next offseason and is, possibly, on the trade block. If he gets an extension, like Matthews got, the talk about Marner in this thread probably goes away.
You are right about Tavares as captain..jeez.I need a Coffee this morning.

The thing is that even in Toronto, Marner has all the heat with his play and I think that Matthews has a free pass.

The dude is like a ghost comes playoffs time

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
You are right about Tavares as captain..jeez.I need a Coffee this morning.

The thing is that even in Toronto, Marner has all the heat with his play and I think that Matthews has a free pass.

The dude is like a ghost comes playoffs time

I think it's because people aren't willing to believe that a 60-goal regular season warrior who is 6'3, and was considered an above average 1st overall, and is paid 14 million/year, is part of the problem.

Because once you believe that, you might have to give up.

Whereas if you believe Marner is the problem, there's hope.

Reactions: Kiss Under the Guy

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Marner talk is a hilarious.. he's cried in multiple playoff games, folds in every playoff series he's in, his dad is a f***ing nightmare of a human and projects all of his shit into contract negotiations so he's overpaid and jealous of his teammates who make more than him.

Hughes and Gorton wouldn't take him if they were paid to.
I agree 100%. It's a shame though, the kid is so freaking talented.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Nobody talks Matthews because he's not leaving Toronto unless he dictates it.. and he's a guy who is a constant threat to score 70 goals a season. We know he wilts in the playoffs too, he's part of why that core can't get it done but he's not available like Marner is/will be.

But Marner is not a target this team would want because he's what they try to avoid, players who can't win.

Reactions: jrom and dralaf

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Nobody talks Matthews because he's not leaving Toronto unless he dictates it.. and he's a guy who is a constant threat to score 70 goals a season. We know he wilts in the playoffs too, he's part of why that core can't get it done but he's not available like Marner is/will be.

But Marner is not a target this team would want because he's what they try to avoid, players who can't win.
If iwas Leafs's Gm...I would trade Matthews in a heartbeat for 2 reasons......:
.lcause he has a value thought the roof and he is a ghost in the playoffs

He is Amarican so he would be glad to be move in the States.

Matthews has a lot more value than Marner and on the other hand for me he is not a lot better when you consider that Marner is one of the best playmaker in the league and he is better than Matthews défensively.

When you look at their career' stats it is almost identical.

People thinks that Matthews brings more to the table cause he is 6.3 but its not true at all.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If iwas Leafs's Gm...I would trade Matthews in a heartbeat for 2 reasons......:
.lcause he has a value thought the roof and he is a ghost in the playoffs

He is Amarican so he would be glad to be move in the States.

Matthews has a lot more value than Marner and on the other hand for me he is not a lot better when you consider that Marner is one of the best playmaker in the league and he is better than Matthews défensively.

When you look at their career' stats it is almost identical.

People thinks that Matthews brings more to the table cause he is 6.3 but its not true at all.

He's going to go down as the greatest Leaf in history, they're not moving on from him unless he forces his way out. That's the business side of things.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
He's going to go down as the greatest Leaf in history, they're not moving on from him unless he forces his way out. That's the business side of things.
I agree with you but I think that for the best of this team...I would trade him but I knkw that it's not gonna happen

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Interesting point in this video that if the Habs have any interest in seeing what might be there in Laine, Pascal Vincent had him in both Columbus and Winnipeg. So he would have some information.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Sunfyre

Aug 16, 2023
Interesting point in this video that if the Habs have any interest in seeing what might be there in Laine, Pascal Vincent had him in both Columbus and Winnipeg. So he would have some information.

A rare moment where lego might have a point, unlike the 99% of time of poorly researched clickbait nonsense

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Problem with Leaf's making a big trade is that they have little chance of getting anything close to equal value back. Like should the leafs really trade Matthews and get today's equivalent of Wayne Primeau, Brad Stuart, and Marco Sturm?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What would you willing to give for Marner?
Zero.

Great player. Maybe some day he gets his act together and wins something. That could happen at any time.

But I hate his attitude. I hate his defiance and lack of accountability when challenged by reporters. I hate the way he doesn’t show up when you really need him. Huge ego, huge pay check and huge choke artist. Absolutely terrible in the playoffs.

Again, he can flip the script someday and maybe he will. But he’s not worth the pay check or the drama. Let someone else take that risk.

Reactions: dralaf and NobleSix

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not only that, I think if he were surrounded by a different group, he might find a way to be successful. He’s just too talented to give up on. But it’s a terrible mix over there.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Not only that, I think if he were surrounded by a different group, he might find a way to be successful. He’s just too talented to give up on. But it’s a terrible mix over there.
Maybe not terrible but just not the right mix. Which is what HuGo are trying to put together - the right combination of players.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I wonder what it would cost to acquire Laine.

If healthy, he could push Caulfield down to the second line. That's how Laine would improve the Habs. Not because he'd be better than Caulfield on the 1st line, but because Caulfield would improve the second line.

Laine-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Caulfield-Dach-Newhook
Armia-Dvorak-Roy
Anderson-Evans-Gallagher
Spares: Pezzetta, Harvey-Pinard

Of course, one of those 13 other names might end up going the other way in a Laine trade.
This is another guy we should stay away from. In player assistance, hasn’t ever lived up to his potential…

Why?

Guys, why do you think we need these kinds of players right now? We’re rebuilding and should be giving us to our young players who we’ve worked so hard to develop. Why not just give the ice to them and allow them to improve?

I get getting this kind of player if we’re in a cup run but why now?

Reactions: HABitual Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad