HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
How do we not have need for another forward???
I’ve answered this in several posts already. Feel free to reply to them. I’m not repeating what I’ve already said.
That is exactly what we lack. We have too many D not forwards.
I think McG is just using that as a tactic to leave a franchise he doesn't want to be part of, like Cutter. Maybe our evaluations are different but I think he will have a much better career than Barron.
Maybe he will. And maybe it would be a great trade. I won’t say otherwise.

But McG would probably slide to our bottom six. I’d rather we wait and see what Barron can do. It’s not like we need McG desperately. It would be totally different if we had a glaring hole and a need but that’s not the case.
Why is it weird? It is what people were saying a page or 2 back. :huh:
You know values change right?
I don't think he is worth what he was traded for or drafted with anymore.
Again, maybe our evaluations of him are different but he is waiver eligible soon and hasn't even cemented a bottom pair spot...I'd trade that way before crossing my fingers he finally puts it all together or lose him for nothing.
He’s barely played in the NHL. He’s just starting his career. I think we should see more of him before writing him off.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They are worried about trading him for an upgrade at F...and if you aren't willing to trade someone who is about to be waiver eligible and has almost used up all their potential value like Barron, then who are we supposed to trade?
Who is this upgrade you speak of and what in the blazes does waiver eligibiliy have to do with it.
Like it or not Barron is a 22 year old highly mobile 6'2'' 202 lbs roster ready RD.
His stat line was slightly better than the 24 yr old 5'11' 186 lbs Jordan Harris.
What I find amusing is we've been whining about development for years.
We finally get some and people would rather move a costly asset than allow for it.
This is not about what you or I believe but what Kent Hughes believes.
I'm not saying Barron is off the table what I am saying is he'd much rather dangle the older lefty.
If teams are insisting on Barron then there has to be a reason right?

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I am not trading McGroarty for Barron. You guys are terribly underestimating Justin Barron. He's an NHL ready player. Be patient with him, he's showing some elite offense.

Horrible trade. Give Winnipeg Harrris or Strubble.
I’d personally drive Lord Barron of S*itsville to Winter-peg to drop him off.

Barron possesses Nathan Beaulieu level of mental midgetry

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Who is this upgrade you speak of and what in the blazes does waiver eligibiliy have to do with it.
Like it or not Barron is a 22 year old highly mobile 6'2'' 202 lbs roster ready RD.
His stat line was slightly better than the 24 yr old 5'11' 186 lbs Jordan Harris.
What I find amusing is we've been whining about development for years.
We finally get some and people would rather move a costly asset than allowing for it.
This is not about what you or I believe but what Kent Hughes believes.
I'm not saying Barron is off the table what I am saying is he'd much rather dangle the older lefty.
If teams are insisting on Barron then there has to be a reason right?
Waiver eligibility is a massive factor. If Barron doesn't come into camp playing lights out he's going to be a 7D when we're healthy and not much growth can happen at that point when you barely play. He failed to crack the worst RD in the NHL.

I would be shocked if Barron had more value than a 3rd, not sure where this statement of teams insisting on him is coming from.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
How do we not have need for another forward???
That is exactly what we lack. We have too many D not forwards.
I think McG is just using that as a tactic to leave a franchise he doesn't want to be part of, like Cutter. Maybe our evaluations are different but I think he will have a much better career than Barron.

Why is it weird? It is what people were saying a page or 2 back. :huh:
You know values change right?
I don't think he is worth what he was traded for or drafted with anymore.
Again, maybe our evaluations of him are different but he is waiver eligible soon and hasn't even cemented a bottom pair spot...I'd trade that way before crossing my fingers he finally puts it all together or lose him for nothing.

It's odd to me that you view Barron as a priority to cut loose at this point...

- if your evaluation of his value is remotely accurate, he's not going to be worth much in trade.

- for '24-'25, RD is our area of least NHL roster depth. Savard & Barron the only 2 natural RDs.

- we aren't an "all in" situation. Giving younger players the opportunity to seize a roster spot & being patient as we deal with the growing fits our situation perfectly

If anything, an RD with Barron's profile is exactly the kind of player KH would be targeting to add this summer... If he wasn't already here.

I have no issue seeing him traded, but not for pennies on the $.

If he can't put together a more consistent season, and Mailloux/RB force their way past him, then easy enough to move him before the deadline or next summer. For now, we are much better off seeing if he's able to seize the opportunity in front of him and lock down a spot as an everyday NHLer.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Waiver eligibility is a massive factor. If Barron doesn't come into camp playing lights out he's going to be a 7D when we're healthy and not much growth can happen at that point when you barely play. He failed to crack the worst RD in the NHL.

I would be shocked if Barron had more value than a 3rd, not sure where this statement of teams insisting on him is coming from.
I'm using what is called a hypothesis
If Barron is just a throw in on a trade then a lefty is just as good.
If they want the big mobile smooth skating righty there would be a reason.
You do realize it's all speculation.

BTW
I'm not even close to you on your assessment of Justin Barron's play or his worth.
I somehow doubt HuGo is either.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

It's less of an issue for a team in our situation with our roster depth.

Injuries happen. It's all but a given that we'll see 1 or more of the dmen you'd pencil in as the top 6 will miss time. Barron, or whomever starts as #7, will end up getting plenty of top 6 time.

Top 6 locks unless hurt:

Guhle
Matheson
Savard

Opening day roster:

Hutson
Xhekaj
Barron
Harris

Laval unless they force a top 4 spot or injury opens up an NHL spot:

Strubble
Reinbabcher
Mailloux

Reactions: 1909

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Barron is in the sweet spot as an asset - he has talent, and could put it all together with different deployment opportunities, but the habs have enough D talent that he can safely be traded without hurting our future, while at the same time other teams would actually be interested. Barron + 1st for McG would be interesting but I'd want another piece coming back our way.

Reactions: Miller Time

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
How?

But its not MY logic, I was responding to a poster who said that the NHL needs to force players drafted from the NCAA to sign with the team that drafts them.
Well, CHL players have to sign with the team that drafts them. It's a little screwy that NCAA players can wait out their time and sign with whomever they want. It should be the same with CHL players. If they don't like the team that drafted them they can wait out their time and sign with whoever they want. That's where I didn't follow your logic.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well, CHL players have to sign with the team that drafts them. It's a little screwy that NCAA players can wait out their time and sign with whomever they want. It should be the same with CHL players. If they don't like the team that drafted them they can wait out their time and sign with whoever they want. That's where I didn't follow your logic.
Well I understand but ncaa players can only sign with another team once they become free agents and the team that drafts them relinquished their rights, I think that's the same for CHL players as far as I know.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Barron is in the sweet spot as an asset - he has talent, and could put it all together with different deployment opportunities, but the habs have enough D talent that he can safely be traded without hurting our future, while at the same time other teams would actually be interested. Barron + 1st for McG would be interesting but I'd want another piece coming back our way.

While I’m definitely not against Montreal trading Barron, I’d argue they don’t have enough right shot defenceman in the system that Barron is expendable.

They have Savard, who is the final year of his deal, and a few prospects. Last season, and most likely this season, left shot defenceman like Guhle have had to play on their off-side which is definitely not ideal. I’m hoping that changes in the future and they are able to ice a more balanced defensive line-up.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
While I’m definitely not against Montreal trading Barron, I’d argue they don’t have enough right shot defenceman in the system that Barron is expendable.

They have Savard, who is the final year of his deal, and a few prospects. Last season, and most likely this season, left shot defenceman like Guhle have had to play on their off-side which is definitely not ideal. I’m hoping that changes in the future and they are able to ice a more balanced defensive line-up.
Yep be careful in getting rid of Justin Barron who is 22 and hasn't yet played 100 NHL games.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Did you watch Laval play last season at all?
Because if you did you should know that so far no one has surpassed him.
Justin Barron would be snapped up off waivers before you could blink.
HuGo will go with 8 D before that ever happens the Ylonen and Allen dossiers last season show us that.
They will only move Barron in what they deem to be an equitable trade not because our fanbase is down on the dude.
Who’s talking about putting him on waivers and him not gettring grabbed ? Lol

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Every single year we have posters on here assuming that there will be no injuries on defense.

The reality is that if Barron is the 7th dman he could play 82 games as long as he's healthy.

This is what St Louis might pick.

Matheson-Guhle
Harris-Savard
Struble-Xhekaj
Barron

Reinbacher, Hutson, Engstrom, and Mailloux should start the season in Laval.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I don’t think we have too few forwards. Our second line this year is Newhook, Dach and Roy. Beck is coming up for the third and next year we’ll have Demidov. That’ll bump Newhook down to play with Beck. We’ve got a great young stable of talent up front. Old man Suzuki is 25.
I heard they call him "Pops"

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Every single year we have posters on here assuming that there will be no injuries on defense.

The reality is that if Barron is the 7th dman he could play 82 games as long as he's healthy.

Matheson-Guhle
Harris-Savard
Struble-Xhekaj
Barron

Yup.

And the internal competition they've created for these young guys is awesome... Waiver eligibility being the only variable to navigate.

Next two seasons will be fascinating to watch unfold & see which of these talented young players seize the opportunity to cement themselves as part of our top 4 long term.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Who’s talking about putting him on waivers and him not gettring grabbed ? Lol
Justin Barron can not be put on waivers which is the point I was making.
As for being here three years that's a big stretch.
He's been here two full seasons the first of which only started at the end of December.
The second of which had him send down to Laval towards the end of January to work on physicality puck movement and confidence.
I expect him to have a good camp this year.

Last edited:

pc_md

Jun 3, 2006

Exactly.

The same rule applies for the projection of an AHL lineup. You don't need 7 AHL D, you need 10 because of the addition of AHL+NHL injuries/call up.

Reactions: Habs7631 and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Justin Barron can not be put on waivers which is the point I was making.
As for being here three years that's a big stretch.
He's been here two full seasons the first of which only started at the end of December.
The second of which had him send down to Laval towards the end of January to work on physicality puck movement and confidence.
I expect him to have a good camp this year.
Barron will have a great camp. Way too young to write off.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Matheson-Guhle
Harris-Savard
Struble-Xhekaj
Barron

I think this makes sense. However, I think Hutson is going to make it very hard to send him down. I'd be surprised if he didn't have a monster camp.

Reactions: Habs7631

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Looking at historical data of players taken 14th overall I saw that Brian Propp had a 1000 point career, Sergei Gonchar had 811 points but other than that not many players taken at that spot have had superstar careers. I would be weary of trading the farm for McGroarty.
That's quite general isn't it? Caufield was taken 15th, does that eliminate him from being good?

Matheson-Guhle
Harris-Savard
Struble-Xhekaj
Barron

Struble might get sent down as he has options. We have to protect Harris and Barron. If Hutson makes team.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
That's quite general isn't it? Caufield was taken 15th, does that eliminate him from being good?

Struble might get sent down as he has options. We have to protect Harris and Barron. If Hutson makes team.
I am just sharing historical data...do with it what you will. History does tell us that 14th overall pucks rarely become impact players.

Ad

Ad

Ad