CFL: The CFL Thread: Part VI

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Argos needed that win in the worst way. The beginning of the third quarter was a comedy of giveaways by both teams. Felt like the game would have went in the Stamps favour had they allowed the play to continue after the Carey fumble and not blown it dead right away.

If Kelly is allowed to come back for the next game, it should really help the tragic offence of the Argos who have been struggling mightily on that front.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

I got mixed feelings about this. Sucks to lose another community owned team, will leave just Sask and Wpg as community owned teams in CFL. Theres sonething special about community owned teams. However something needed to change in EDM. It's been a dumpster fire for far far too long.

There was a big push to privatize the Bombers around 10-15 years ago as well that ended up never coming to fruition. Right around when they were negotiating and building the new stadium along with year after year incompetence on the field. I'm glad it worked out without that here, but it's been worse in EDM than it ever got in WPG.

Reactions: robertmac43

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

This would be why BC isnt going to trade VA. VA will be the backup the rest of the year and then well see what happens during the transfer window. If Rourke returns to NFL this off-season theyll still have VA. If he doesn't they'll deal VA then.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

This would be why BC isnt going to trade VA. VA will be the backup the rest of the year and then well see what happens during the transfer window. If Rourke returns to NFL this off-season theyll still have VA. If he doesn't they'll deal VA then.

What is VA making? Can the lions afford both QBs and field the rest of the roster?

$600k cad to start 18 cfl games. PS for a full season is about $12.5K usd a week for 18 weeks which is $225 usd with FX about $300k cad. I get financially why he took the shot but imo went down too early and also ended up with the wrong type of situation. Needed a team with a veteran QB not one in the rookie contract. Rarely do nfl clubs have both QBs as young guys.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What is VA making? Can the lions afford both QBs and field the rest of the roster?

$600k cad to start 18 cfl games. PS for a full season is about $12.5K usd a week for 18 weeks which is $225 usd with FX about $300k cad. I get financially why he took the shot but imo went down too early and also ended up with the wrong type of situation. Needed a team with a veteran QB not one in the rookie contract. Rarely do nfl clubs have both QBs as young guys.
3downnation actually has VA on a reasonable 403k deal, 6th among QBs. Rourke gonna make 250k rest of the year. Not sure how BC is gonna afford this, but I wonder if they reserved some room pre-season for this reason. Clearly they think they can. You can go up too 100k over cap before draft pick penalties start hitting, even then BC might be willing to sacrifice a 1st round pick next year if it gets them a home GC win.

Next year there's no way they can hold both of course. But if Rourke stays they could get at least a 1st for VA, probably alot more than that on top of that. And lots can change, such as Rourke signing back down south. So it may even wash out if they aren't caring about the fines (I believe it's dollar for dollar for first 100k over cap, steeper above that).

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
The midway point of the CFL regular season is upon us with Week 11.

Ottawa (5-2-1) at Calgary (4-5) Thu. 9PM ET
  • "Jekyll and Hyde" Jake Maier is the one starting QB who hasn't either been injured or benched because of under-performance (much to my annoyance). Meanwhile an injury to Dru Brown means that Jeremiah Masoli gets his first start in a while for the RedBlacks.
Montreal (8-1) at Saskatchewan (5-3-1) Fri. 9PM ET
  • While Davis Alexander and Shea Patterson have played very effectively in their roles, there is a distinct possibility that Cody Fajardo and/or Trevor Harris could return in this game which would present some interesting storylines.
Edmonton (2-7) at Hamilton (2-7) Sat. 7PM ET
  • An injury to Tre Ford could potentially derail this little bit of momentum the Elks currently have. Meanwhile Taylor Powell looks like he could get the starting QB job in Hamilton with Bo Levi Mitchell getting benched.
Winnipeg (3-6) at BC (5-4) Sun. 7PM ET
  • The prodigal sun has returned! Nathan Rourke is back in the CFL with his return to BC. May not be much of a factor in this game, but certainly puts the Lions in an interesting spot moving forward.
Bye Week - Toronto (5-4). The Argonauts ship finds itself in interesting waters with the potential of Chad Kelly returning from his suspension. This comes after a solid performance from Nick Arbuckle in one of the better games he's had in a few years.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Masoli is worthless garbage. But they will probably win thank to incompetent officials.

Last edited:

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
THEY DO IT AGAIN! SUCH A CLUTCH f***ING TEAM.

There’s 8 teams east of Montreal and Ottawa is the best of them all.

6–2-1 feeling babyyyyyyyyy :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad