HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I was never really on the Necas / Zegras bandwagon, Rutger looks like drama in a bottle, Laine not convinced he will fit.

Kent Johnson is probably hard to pry from CBJ, especially with Pascal Vincent gone, but he looks like he could be a a better long term fit (or Perfetti).

Reactions: BozoTheClown

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I was never really on the Necas / Zegras bandwagon, Rutger looks like drama in a bottle, Laine not convinced he will fit.

Kent Johnson is probably hard to pry from CBJ, especially with Pascal Vincent gone, but he looks like he could be a a better long term fit (or Perfetti).

Honestly, the only bandwagon I've been on since the start of the top 6 fwd trade rumors is Ehlers.

I don't care about Rugrat. I think Laine isn't a fit with what he's going through. Necas/Zegras/Ehlers are similar players, but I think Ehlers would be the cheapest trade and give us more flexibility down the road.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I am not trading McGroarty for Barron. You guys are terribly underestimating Justin Barron. He's an NHL ready player. Be patient with him, he's showing some elite offense.

Horrible trade. Give Winnipeg Harrris or Strubble.

Bro, Barron is awful be thankful someone takes him and his enormous helmet from us. Sakic doesn't just trade away hidden gems, he didn't slide under the radar, he's just not a very good blueliner at this point, he hasn't shown anything to suggest he will be.

What is it about him you like? He's soft, pushed off the puck easily, struggles in his own end. Yes he has offensive potential but I don't see anything exceptional here? What am I missing?

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Oh so Barron hasn't made the team after all this time because he's so good?
I dunno, he’s still pretty young for a D, I wouldn’t write him off just yet is all. Your concerns are valid imo, he does seems soft for a big man, but that could change too. He still has a lot of nice tools and maybe I have some ptsd from impatient Habs moves this century. I’m also in the minority of not thinking they need to rush a D trade and should see how the current crop materializes a little further.

I do agree with @the, he still warrants some patience.

🤸‍♂️

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
I dunno, he’s still pretty young for a D, I wouldn’t write him off just yet is all. Your concerns are valid imo, he does seems soft for a big man, but that could change too. He still has a lot of nice tools and maybe I have some ptsd from impatient Habs moves this century. I’m also in the minority of not thinking they need to rush a D trade and should see how the current crop materializes a little further.

I do agree with @the, he still warrants some patience.

🤸‍♂️

I think he's more than worth the risk of losing if anyone wants him for a young power forward with upside, our blueline is fine without him. His real value may be the trade market, gotta give up something to get etc etc

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I am not trading McGroarty for Barron. You guys are terribly underestimating Justin Barron. He's an NHL ready player. Be patient with him, he's showing some elite offense.

Horrible trade. Give Winnipeg Harrris or Strubble.
Barron can't even play properly the position he's playing in the NHL.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
You guys realize that it's a 2 way street right?

What about teams who decide not to sign a player during his college career?

Is there something that protects them? Or is it always just about whats good for owners/teams?

Is anyone going to lose sleep once the Habs decide not to sign Blake Biondi?

If you want to force NCAA players to play for the team that drafts them, then you’ll also need to see NHL teams commit to signing players they draft.

That ain't gonna happen, so its a moot point.
You lost me. If you're going to apply that logic with NCAA players, shouldn't you apply it to players from the CHL and other leagues.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Barron can't even play properly the position he's playing in the NHL.
The Sherriff went down and came back a better player for it................they are treating Barron in the same way.
Don't think they are ready to write this kid off yet. That said, they do need to deal a Dman or two this year, so who knows. David Savard could be going and our right side could need Barron.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
It's not about writing off Barron but horse-trading to get a better player in a position of need.

Habs fans are too obsessed with the poverty mentality from the Bergevin era. We have too many d-men and too few forwards, it's perfectly find to trade a non-contributor to get a roster upgrade. If Barron does good elsewhere that's fine -- good for him and his new team -- but it's not like his ceiling is specifically and indisputably higher than our other defensive players who are ahead of him on our depth chart.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
NHL needs to address two main points in the next CBA.
1) NCAA players ability to opt out of signing with club that drafted them is ridiculous
2) Salary cap in playoffs should be the same as regular season to avoid ridiculous amount of subversion in post season.
CHL players can also opt out of signing with the club that drafts them and can become UFAs just like NCAA players.

Reactions: CanadienShark

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Injuries pushed back his development. But this fall's camp will speak volumes of his future in Montreal
I personally expect him to look bad in camp like he has the last two...

He's never going to be able to deal with what cause his performance to go from good one game to terrible for 20 games after getting burned without a therapist. Hopefully, Armia and Primeau started a trend among Habs players last season (both started to consult, but had their performance become a lot more stable).

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Bro, Barron is awful be thankful someone takes him and his enormous helmet from us. Sakic doesn't just trade away hidden gems, he didn't slide under the radar, he's just not a very good blueliner at this point, he hasn't shown anything to suggest he will be.

What is it about him you like? He's soft, pushed off the puck easily, struggles in his own end. Yes he has offensive potential but I don't see anything exceptional here? What am I missing?
There’s a few traits that I like about Barron. Particularly his size, his speed and offensive potential. His shooting is very good and the puck often finds the net when he’s shooting. I think his passing is also very good. He needs some PP minutes to really start shinning.

The ugly is obvious, he struggles in his own end. He’s uncertain when to pinch, he barely uses his size and when to cover man to man. However he did have a good string of games towards the end of the season where he was playing with some confidence. I feel fans are too quick to jump on his bad games and don’t credit him when he’s playing well. He’s had games where he look good in his own end, he just needs to be more consistent.

He’s got all the tools and the potential is there but he looks timid and lacks confidence. Once he gains some confidence and figures out the physical and mental aspect he will be a great asset.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
There’s a few traits that I like about Barron. Particularly his size, his speed and offensive potential. His shooting is very good and the puck often finds the net when he’s shooting. I think his passing is also very good. He needs some PP minutes to really start shinning.

The ugly is obvious, he struggles in his own end. He’s uncertain when to pinch, he barely uses his size and when to cover man to man. However he did have a good string of games towards the end of the season where he was playing with some confidence. I feel fans are too quick to jump on his bad games and don’t credit him when he’s playing well. He’s had games where he look good in his own end, he just needs to be more consistent.

He’s got all the tools and the potential is there but he looks timid and lacks confidence. Once he gains some confidence and figures out the physical and mental aspect he will be a great asset.

I think Barron has all the tools and is still young enough to learn and develop into a top 4 D. He has the rare combination of size, speed and mobility for a RHD but hasn’t found how to put it all together yet. I just hope he’s not another Beaulieu who doesn’t have the IQ for it. I don’t think that’s the case but this year will be very important for his future as an NHLer and how teams will see him and where he’ll fit into a future lineup.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Seems like McGroarty has serious character issues that is scaring teams away. Really weird since his character and leadership were seen as great qualities. Can't see Hughes being too interested in that. I'm not really sure if a top 6 only with young players is the way to go anyways, we could use a vet there when we want to compete.
He has character issues? Any examples or stories in this?

Starting from here:

Seems like teams are turned off by his demands/attitude. Maybe he was more open to Minnesota than these other deals that fell through. Probably unlikely that he'd also be open to the Habs if this is all true.
Interesting.

Sidenote: I should probably read through these threads a bit more before asking questions that are likely to be answered in following posts.

Reactions: habsfan891

Habs

Feb 28, 2002

for me , that's the description of so many prospects. I don't believe he has much trade value, because if he did that deal would be done. No way Kent hangs on to Barron to hold up a trade with Winnipeg.

Is he a 30pt dman? Probably. Is he a 30pt dman with issues all over the ice that a team has to live with? Most certainly.

Reactions: Andrei79

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Honestly, the only bandwagon I've been on since the start of the top 6 fwd trade rumors is Ehlers.

I don't care about Rugrat. I think Laine isn't a fit with what he's going through. Necas/Zegras/Ehlers are similar players, but I think Ehlers would be the cheapest trade and give us more flexibility down the road.

I don't expect Ehlers to be cheap at all, on the main board they quoted an article that the ask from buffalo was 4 pieces, 3 big ones :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad