HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Where did they say this?

All I've seen is Montreal had a deal if Demidov wasn't there.

Minnesota had a deal, but then they moved up to get Buium, so they weren't sending their 1st for him.
Starting from here:

Seems like teams are turned off by his demands/attitude. Maybe he was more open to Minnesota than these other deals that fell through. Probably unlikely that he'd also be open to the Habs if this is all true.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Where did they say this?

All I've seen is Montreal had a deal if Demidov wasn't there.

Minnesota had a deal, but then they moved up to get Buium, so they weren't sending their 1st for him.
Oh.. I guess I must've missed that one. So if Demidov was gone @ 5 the Habs were gonna move their 5th overall pick in some sort of a deal for McGroarty or what? More details please.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Oh.. I guess I must've missed that one. So if Demidov was gone @ 5 the Habs were gonna move their 5th overall pick in some sort of a deal for McGroarty or what? More details please.

Likely if Demidov was gone, they were drafting a defenseman at 5 and then trading a defenseman that we highly regard (likely Mailloux) to the Jets for McGroarty.. the moment we got Demidov, there was no need to trade a surplus defender and get a second rate forward prospect.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
He is though, they had almost a deal for him at the draft
Didn't know. Guess I'm wrong if that's the case.

Depends if they view his main flaw as fixable by their development team or otherwise fatal. With Adam Nicholas, Dr. Shot, and the others, player development went from a vulnerability to a strength.
I guess if it's true he wants a guaranteed top 6 spot, then I don't see how any team would him let alone Hughes. But who knows what's true, could be disinformation by some team.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Its far more likely it was Montreal trading something other than 5th for McGroarty (because there's almost no chance he has close to that value), but I think the circumstances of the draft probably changed Montreal's thinking on the trade market, especially considering how pleased they were with who they took in the first round.

Look at their young forwards:

Suzuki ('17 draft)
Caufield ('19 draft)
Dach ('19 draft)
Newhook ('19 draft)
Slafkovsky ('22 draft)

Take Demidov who could be ready for 2025-2026, and add in Roy who may be ready next season and you have a lot of young players in the NHL next season or the year after. That's not even mentioning Hage (who should take a longer path to the NHL if he gets there) and other guys who could emerge from Laval the next few seasons (Beck, Farrell, Mesar, etc.) and it makes sense that there isn't a ton of urgency. If Montreal's making a move on McGroarty or anyone else who may be really expensive, they have to believe in significant upside.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Starting from here:

Seems like teams are turned off by his demands/attitude. Maybe he was more open to Minnesota than these other deals that fell through. Probably unlikely that he'd also be open to the Habs if this is all true.
Reading that thread reminds me a bit of how ROR was looked at back in the day… center with bad feet, lauded for leadership and intangibles, and absolutely miserable to try and negotiate a contract with.

I’d wonder what players like Beck, Farrell, Kapanen, Heineman, etc. would think about him being guaranteed an NHL spot as a condition for signing. There’s a good chance he’d win a spot on his own, but I can’t imagine it fits well with the culture Hughes is trying to create.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
If I was McGroarty, I’d be pretty upset too. The Jets are shit offensively. After their top 3 forward scorers, their remaining forwards had 38 points or less. For them to say they have no room for him on the NHL club is just lying.

100% agree.

We are quick to judge Gauthier or McGroarty in those scenario but sometimes the organisation are toxic as f***.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Likely if Demidov was gone, they were drafting a defenseman at 5 and then trading a defenseman that we highly regard (likely Mailloux) to the Jets for McGroarty.. the moment we got Demidov, there was no need to trade a surplus defender and get a second rate forward prospect.

Let’s keep all of our defenders and try to trade them later when they will have close to zero value or even better, loose them for nothing on waiver.

Classic Habs motto. We still need f***ing players on that second line. Pay the f***ing price and add them. We’ll keep around all of them. Watch this. Stupid.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Let’s keep all of our defenders and try to trade them later when they will have close to zero value or even better, loose them for nothing on waiver.

Classic Habs motto. We still need f***ing players on that second line. Pay the f***ing price and add them. We’ll keep around all of them. Watch this. Stupid.

We have plenty of options for the 2nd line internally - we don't need to trade a valuable RD like Mailloux for f***ing cry baby McGroarty who thinks he's a guaranteed top 6 forward with bricks for feet.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

I'm not sure why you think Montreal isn't shopping defenders right now when the noise for a long time has been that they actively are.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm not sure why you think Montreal isn't shopping defenders right now when the noise for a long time has been that they actively are.

Obviously the guys like Struble, Harris aren't holding immense value that they are getting moved for the type of upgrade we'd want to make in the top 6 but our internal options just got a lot better and the desperation isn't there.

When we are talking about a trade where they backed out of, you're looking at guys like Xhekaj, Mailloux, etc. not the Strubles of the world. I'm very happy we kept the better players on our back-end that are part of our future rather than trade for an overrated prospect that would be a luxury rather than a need at this point and has proven 0.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
We have plenty of options for the 2nd line internally - we don't need to trade a valuable RD like Mailloux for f***ing cry baby McGroarty who thinks he's a guaranteed top 6 forward with bricks for feet.

Plenty internally option? Really lol

Newhook, Mesar, Farrel, etc lol. Jesus are you serious.

Demidov-Suzuki-Slaf
Caufield-Dach-???

We need to filed that void and that isn’t witout thinking about Dach’s health. We need more.

But hey, let’s dress 8 dman, we’ll be fine.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

Demidov-Suzuki-Slaf
Caufield-Dach-???

We need to filed that void and that isn’t witout thinking about Dach’s health. We need more.

Joshua Roy absolutely deserves his shot, if only to determine whether he's better suited to 2nd line or 3rd line duties.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Joshua Roy absolutely deserves his shot, if only to determine whether he's better suited to 2nd line or 3rd line duties.

He deserves it this year with no Demidov. But i think he’ll be better suit for third line.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Demidov-Suzuki-Slaf
Caufield-Dach-???

How is Newhook not a good option for the second line? He put up a 50 point pace last year while being stuck with either Anderson or Gallagher all year. Given he just turned 23, its not out of the question for him to be a 60 point guy in the future.

We also have Roy, as well will likely have another top 10 pick this year plus another late first and 2 early seconds to add to our forwards.

At the moment we need top six forwards, but at this point it doesn't make sense to give up valuable assets to fill a short-term need that might be addressed internally as soon as next year.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
The rumors are going lately, Habs will ice 6 LHDs in the NHL next season...

Great, and only two of them have demonstrated they can play above a bottom pair role consistently yet.

It feels like you need to overrate where most of Montreal's D are right now to be upset they haven't moved any for a top 6 winger yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad