HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Plenty internally option? Really lol

Newhook, Mesar, Farrel, etc lol. Jesus are you serious.

Demidov-Suzuki-Slaf
Caufield-Dach-???

We need to filed that void and that isn’t witout thinking about Dach’s health. We need more.

But hey, let’s dress 8 dman, we’ll be fine.
??? can easily turn out to be one of Roy, Newhook, Beck, Kapanen, Hage (in few years). Newhook was on pace for 51 pts and he spent a ton of time with Josh Anderson. Staying healthy with Dach and CC, he can easily end up with 60+.
There are several top 6 players who are late draft picks, some even undrafted- Panarin, Marchessault, Stone, Hyman, Hagel... we have an amazing prospect depth, maybe one of them will surprise us. Damn, it could even be Filip Eriksson and would not be so shocking.

Last edited:

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
??? can easily turn out to be one of Roy, Newhook, Beck, Kapanen, Hage (in few years). Newhook was on pace for 51 pts and he spent a ton of time with Josh Anderson. Staying healthy with Dach and CC, he can easily end up with 60+.
There are several top 6 players who are late draft picks, some even undrafted- Panarin, Marchessault, Stone, Hyman, Hagel... we have an amazing prospect depth, maybe one of them will surprise us. Damn, it could even be Filip Eriksson and would not be so shocking.

We will need more beef on the wings in that top 6

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Resume of the last 3 pages

Q; Anything else cooking? Zegras, McGroarty or Sprong?

A; No, I'm off to the cottage.

1000005858.jpg

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Demidov-Suzuki-Slaf
Caufield-Dach-???

We need to filed that void and that isn’t witout thinking about Dach’s health. We need more.

I'm high enough on Roy for him to fill up that last slot, but we can also just sign/trade for a vet if that doesn't work out. The oldest player in that top 6 is Suzuki who's turning 25 in a month. What other NHL team has its oldest top 6 forward be 25?

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm high enough on Roy for him to fill up that last slot, but we can also just sign/trade for a vet if that doesn't work out. The oldest player in that top 6 is Suzuki who's turning 25 in a month. What other NHL team has its oldest top 6 forward be 25?

Even if Montreal's top 6 ends up being something like:

Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Newhook-Dach-Gallagher/Armia/whoever

Montreal would still have the youngest top 6 in the NHL.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Let’s keep all of our defenders and try to trade them later when they will have close to zero value or even better, loose them for nothing on waiver.

Classic Habs motto. We still need f***ing players on that second line. Pay the f***ing price and add them. We’ll keep around all of them. Watch this. Stupid.

Ca va ?

Better fourth line option than the vast majority of options we had last year

No!

Sprong is an extremely bad option as a 4th liner.

Having a great team is having all the people in the right chair.

Being a 4th liner, accepting the role, the usage, the low pay, and everything that comes with it is not for everybody, especially Daniel Sprong.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Hughes said he wanted add size and toughness. Will he failed once again in that departement? It’s not looking good. Xhekaj will probably have to do it all by himself again.

And i expect usto not trade any of our dmans and capitalize on their value. I fully expect us to bench some, play yo-yo with some of them between laval-mtl and kill their confidence and trade value. Thats the montreal way. Harris, Struble, Barron and cie won’t upgrade any trade valu by being 7th d.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Hughes said he wanted add size and toughness. Will he failed once again in that departement? It’s not looking good. Xhekaj will probably have to do it all by himself again.

And i expect usto not trade any of our dmans and capitalize on their value. I fully expect us to bench some, play yo-yo with some of them between laval-mtl and kill their confidence and trade value. Thats the montreal way. Harris, Struble, Barron and cie won’t upgrade any trade valu by being 7th d.

If Barron and Harris had any value theyd be gone. Teams arent dumb. They are not good enough for our team who finished 27th, why would they make it on a contender?

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
If Barron and Harris had any value theyd be gone. Teams arent dumb. They are not good enough for our team who finished 27th, why would they make it on a contender?

Then, what was the purpose of having that much prospect of D? Im telling you, we are all gonna loose them for free

• Haha
Reactions: Miller Time

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Maybe not a contender, but a rebuilding team could use them? Maybe a team who has no depth who are a bubble team?
Hughes has proven to have crazy patience.......................last year the example of getting a 3rd round pic for Allen, was basically magic.
People said Allen had negative value, and the habs decided not to lose him for nothing, and patience won..................seems crazy, but Hughes will not give guys away, or lose them for free.

Not yet....

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Demidov-Suzuki-Slaf
Caufield-Dach-???

Newhook, Roy, Mesar, Farrell, Hage, one of our top two picks in 2025, what will be available in free agency next year, what could be available in trade like Necas etc.

Trading Mailloux or Arber Xhekaj for McGroarty is a f***ing terrible idea.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
When people suggest signing Sprong, it just signals to me that they want change for the sake of change.

He adds nothing. Another one of those middle 6 players that we all end up hating and want traded for peanuts.

Yeah, some fans just want action and moves made for the sake of it. I agree there. Can you blame them? The media click bait articles has us connected to almost everyone available. :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Harris doesn't have much value even though he has shown maturity early on. Most see him as a bottom pairing or depth guy. I think that is fair.

Barron is hard to evaluate. He's a rare RD with size/skating/big shot but struggling in the maturity area. He's got more value than what most believe IMO. His ability to score goals as a D man is underrated. I feel we have to be careful with trading him for low value. Could burn us.

The other thing to note is Zegras, Necas, Rossi, Laine, McGroarty are not traded yet either. Does that mean they suck and nobody wants them? NO and you know this. Trades take time.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Newhook, Roy, Mesar, Farrell, Hage, one of our top two picks in 2025, what will be available in free agency next year, what could be available in trade like Necas etc.

Trading Mailloux or Arber Xhekaj for McGroarty is a f***ing terrible idea.

Trading for Necas IS a terrible idea. Mailloux vs Mcgroarty isnt.

Reactions: MaynardJames

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Trading for Necas IS a terrible idea. Mailloux vs Mcgroarty isnt.
There's been rumblings that at least one McGoarty trade fell off when the team acquiring him heard or was told the same as the Jets from his agent

I feel like McGoarty is forcing his way towards a select destination and is willing to just wait it out or dictate the market he's traded to

I wouldn't be surprised if we're no longer even looking into him

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
When people suggest signing Sprong, it just signals to me that they want change for the sake of change.

He adds nothing. Another one of those middle 6 players that we all end up hating and want traded for peanuts.

Nailed it. We finally didn't have to watch guys like Hoffman/Drouin last year now for some reason some people want to go back and add a similar player to those guys who will put up 40 or so points and add nothing else.

Hoffman's PPG in 22-23 with the Habs: 0.51
Drouin's PPG in 22-23 with the Habs: 0.50
Sprong's PPG last year: 0.57

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Harris gets ice time over several others so I believe MSL values him quite a bit more than many here.

Bottom line is we have Matheson, Savard. Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj, Struble and Barron. A couple will have to clear waivers to go to Laval. We have Mailloux , Hutson and Reinbacher that can be part of the mix now. No waiver issues for the last 3 guys, and it's okay if they all start with Laval, though I think they will be getting big tastes at the NHL level to see what they have at this point.

Savard has a good chance of being dealt at the TDL.

I think Barron should be given this last chance to show if he is worthy to hang on to. Trading him for some late pick is not worth it at this point. Same thing with Harris.

Really hope Xhekaj is able to show more of a consistent good game this year.

Reactions: TesseractPrice

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
There's been rumblings that at least one McGoarty trade fell off when the team acquiring him heard or was told the same as the Jets from his agent

I feel like McGoarty is forcing his way towards a select destination and is willing to just wait it out or dictate the market he's traded to

I wouldn't be surprised if we're no longer even looking into him
Is he forcing a destination, or is he trying to force himself into the NHL directly?

From what I understood, he wants garanteed NHL time otherwise he will stay in the NCAA another year, with possible UFA at the end of the year.

I think this is where it could be interesting to acquire him. Promise him 40 games in the 2nd line with Dach, and if he doesn't get 25 points, then it's the 4th line or the AHL. What does Montreal has to loose with that? They are going nowhere this year, so may as well test him in a spot they have no one right now.

Can't they package something around their first next year (top 10 protected)? Or send Matheson who is not likely to still be relevant in the competing phase of the team, instead of Mailloux?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Is he forcing a destination, or is he trying to force himself into the NHL directly?

From what I understood, he wants garanteed NHL time otherwise he will stay in the NCAA another year, with possible UFA at the end of the year.

I think this is where it could be interesting to acquire him. Promise him 40 games in the 2nd line with Dach, and if he doesn't get 25 points, then it's the 4th line or the AHL. What does Montreal has to loose with that? They are going nowhere this year, so may as well test him in a spot they have no one right now.

Can't they package something around their first next year (top 10 protected)? Or send Matheson who is not likely to still be relevant in the competing phase of the team, instead of Mailloux?
Personally I wouldn't touch a guy who says guarantee me top 6 ice time. And he's a prospect ???? Lol. That's completely out of line.

And from what I understand, this guy still doesn't have NHL caliber skating.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

Do you remember when we signed Farrell? He was obviously not ready for NHL, but Kent promised him to play games at the end the season and Marty was really pi33ed about it. I am sure Kent heavily consulted those couple games for Hutson. I just cant imagine Marty agree on giving Rutger any guarantee of 2nd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad