HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
The latest from Eric Engles:

It’s no secret the Canadiens will be exploring trades that help improve the here and now to push their rebuild into its next phase.

The market is heating up and it’s safe to assume general manager Kent Hughes has at least a few irons stoking its fire. He’s got the aforementioned picks to play with, a loaded left side of his NHL defence to move from, and there may be a prospect or two he’d be willing to part with to help net the Canadiens the type of player they’re after.

A bona fide top-six forward is the target. We’ll see if Hughes hits it before week’s end.

If not, trades will continue to transpire through the off-season and free agency is around the corner.

If the Canadiens don’t find a trade for a bona fide top-six forward that makes sense to them, I think they’ll try to package the 26th pick with other assets to acquire another top-10 pick.

Under this scenario, they could select two future core players and turn to free agency to fill more immediate needs.

It’s anything but assured they’ll be able to make such a move, but that’s why they call it a bold prediction.
hmmm....any one of us could have written that. No actual news at all.....

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I disagree. They won't trade away his experience for a nothing return. They also need RHD more than LHD.

Savard makes more sense than Matheson if they intend to keep Guhle playing right side and bring Reinbacher up this season. Which is a big stretch imo.
Who are you disagreeing with? I never said that he was worthless.
Why is he needed more than Savard on this particular edition of the team? This is the question I'm asking you. Savard is a vet, who has won the cup, and doesn't mind mentoring the young kids coming up on a losing team.

If Mike Matheson is absolutely needed for the next two years, what does this team accomplish overall that it doesn't without him on the team? Do they make the playoffs? Do they win the cup? You talk as if the team is really good, Matheson is a core part of why, and trading him will throw off the entire balance of our offense. This isn't the case.

If he's here mainly for mentoring, we can get a veteran defensive D on the UFA market for 1/2, 3/4 of the price. Nobody is suggesting to throw Lane Hutson/Mailloux/Reinbacher/etc to the wolves and take up his ice time/role, it would just be spread around to various other members.

Even if I liked Matheson, he would be classified as a nice piece to have currently. Given his age and the fact that he's under contract for the next two years only, he should absolutely be on the table for any sort of trade that improves this team's future prospects.
Because this team wants to compete next year and have a very low scoring team. So trading away your best offensive, 62 point, low cap D makes less sense then trading your shut down D who's on the last year of his contract and offers zero offence. This applies to a team who is looking to win, and not tank, which is the stated purpose of next year's edition and why they're looking for ore fire power up front. I wouldn't make sense to add that firepower up front if no one on the backend can transition it forward to them.

By default, if you trade away Matheson, you don't have a choice but to thrust the onus of generating offence to the kids. You can't spread PP time, the last minute when you're down by a goal etc. without adding that pressure. That's exactly the reason why you have a guy like Matheson on the roster until a younger player can step up and take those minutes.

I didn't say he wouldn't or shouldn't be traded. I said I think Savard goes before he does. If they can get an offer they can't turn down for Matheson. I'd drive him to the airport myself.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Who are you disagreeing with? I never said that he was worthless.

Because this team wants to compete next year and have a very low scoring team. So trading away your best offensive, 62 point, low cap D makes less sense then trading your shut down D who's on the last year of his contract and offers zero offence. This applies to a team who is looking to win, and not tank, which is the stated purpose of next year's edition and why they're looking for ore fire power up front. I wouldn't make sense to add that firepower up front if no one on the backend can transition it forward to them.

By default, if you trade away Matheson, you don't have a choice but to thrust the onus of generating offence to the kids. You can't spread PP time, the last minute when you're down by a goal etc. without adding that pressure. That's exactly the reason why you have a guy like Matheson on the roster until a younger player can step up and take those minutes.

I didn't say he wouldn't or shouldn't be traded. I said I think Savard goes before he does. If they can get an offer they can't turn down for Matheson. I'd drive him to the airport myself.
Nor did i say you did.

It's me saying he won't get us an important enough return that would have an impact on the team going forward.

On the other hand, Matheson might. And that's the point of it all.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Who would you choose between:

1- Zegras : Crafty smallish winger with tremendous passing skills and hands
2- Necas : Fast paced winger with good all around tools and good IQ.
3-Laine : Big scoring winger with one of the best shot in the entire league.

And Why?

I'm curious to read you guys.

To complete a line with Dach, all 3 of them would need a hard working winger.

Last edited:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Who would you choose between Zegras, Necas or Laine? And Why?

Laine for me
right age for us
great on the PP
big frame
he has something to prove and habs love guys to work with
2 year contract is not a life threating contract
if he turns out and this works great player to have for this team down the road

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Actually, many competitive teams have a 32-34 year old defenceman and $7M is not prohibitive.. Let's stop thinking on a shoestring, the cap is close to $90M.

Here's a list of 32+ D-men from last season:

What are we qualifying as a competitive team and who are you comparing Matheson to?

I like Matheson as a player. I think he demonstrated growth after being traded from Florida to Pittsburgh. But it feels like people have grown comfortable with what he is rather than thinking about how he may age. Do people really think he's going to age better than Petry? That he's going to age like an elite D-man? What exactly is the plan here?

Reactions: habsfan891

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Nor did i say you did.

It's me saying he won't get us an important enough return that would have an impact on the team going forward.

On the other hand, Matheson might. And that's the point of it all.
Well we don't know what Savard would fetch, though do we? Speculation was a 1st last deadline which is pretty good value. Besides, anything is better than losing him for nothing.

And while Matheson would yield a far better return in the long run, his absence next season could be extremely detrimental to a team who desperately wants to be competitive moving forward. It would make more sense to move him next year then this year IMO.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Matheson would be good fit for the OIL.
they need so bad a d man that can skate and gain the zone for conner and his gang
Don't really see what they'd have that's a good fit for us though (at least nothing they'd reasonably part with).

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Well we don't know what Savard would fetch, though do we? Speculation was a 1st last deadline which is pretty good value. Besides, anything is better than losing him for nothing.

And while Matheson would yield a far better return in the long run, his absence next season could be extremely detrimental to a team who desperately wants to be competitive moving forward. It would make more sense to move him next year then this year IMO.
Habs wouldn't lose Savard for nothing. If he wants to stay with the Habs he will accept a reasonable extension. If he wants to maximize his contract they would move him at the deadline.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009

And Why?

I’m not overly impressed with any of them. I’d rather package 26th pick + and get another top 10 pick and then sign a fa.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

And Why?

Laine, because he's the only one that would not require a potential core piece going the other way and if he pans out under MSL, the upside might actually be highest of the three.

Necas and Zegras are their teams' best trading chips and they're not going to move them for a package of 26OA + Jordan Harris. These are likely not realistic trade targets, unless we want to open up a hole at some other place in the lineup, or trade one of our best prospects.

Nothing is untouchable, including our 5OA this year, but I doubt either Zegras or Necas are worthy targets for such a price.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Here's a list of 32+ D-men from last season:

What are we qualifying as a competitive team and who are you comparing Matheson to?

I like Matheson as a player. I think he demonstrated growth after being traded from Florida to Pittsburgh. But it feels like people have grown comfortable with what he is rather than thinking about how he may age. Do people really think he's going to age better than Petry? That he's going to age like an elite D-man? What exactly is the plan here?
I think few are really against trading Matheson. I just think we should first find out to what extent Hutson is able to take on at least part of Matheson's role. We also have some significant money coming off the books next season, so if it turns out we need a replacement veteran defenseman, it will be easier to fit him under the cap in 2025.

I seriously doubt the management is looking forward to re-sign Matheson beyond 2026.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Interesting listen in general but the part that caught my attention starts around the 20 minute mark regarding how Hughes views free agency. His answers gives me certainly more confidence in his ability to see an appealing vision for free agents to sign here compared to Bergy.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005

And Why?

The correct answer is Filip Chytil. Drafted by Gorton. Didn't play a whole lot last year. Not considered a core piece. Hefty contract ($4,437,500). NYR needs cap space if they want to make a splash or three, like Patrick Kane.

Reactions: badfish

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Laine, because he's the only one that would not require a potential core piece going the other way and if he pans out under MSL, the upside might actually be highest of the three.

Necas and Zegras are their teams' best trading chips and they're not going to move them for a package of 26OA + Jordan Harris. These are likely not realistic trade targets, unless we want to open up a hole at some other place in the lineup, or trade one of our best prospects.

Nothing is untouchable, including our 5OA this year, but I doubt either Zegras or Necas are worthy targets for such a price.

Yeah, you're right on this one.

Laine would be the best gamble IMO.

Reactions: sampollock

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city

I'm wondering if we would need to give up WPG first rounder to get a guy like Laine...

If we can send a bad contract the other way, I guess that might be worth it.

But I rather keep that pick to move up in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad