HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Once teams are all installed in Vegas, I'm assuming today or tomorrow, we should see a lot of movement happening. Today is probably thr travel day for most management teams i'm assuming

Reactions: HankyZetts

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Once teams are all installed in Vegas, I'm assuming today or tomorrow, we should see a lot of movement happening. Today is probably thr travel day for most management teams i'm assuming

Lots of talk happened up to now and more to come. GM's are feeling each other out. No doubt in my mind Hughes has tentative deals agreed on but contingent on other things that may or may not happen on draft day.

giphy.gif

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If im not mistaken arent the Wilds in big penalties the next season with Parise and Suter? Matheson with his salary could fit for them

They've been in that for the last 2 years. They have one more year than are in the clear.

They already have everyone signed at forward & goal. They have 5D signed, but really need two top 4D. They only have $6m in cap space, though. They can probably get away with one quality top 4D (like Pesce, Roy, DeMelo or Tanev).

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If im not mistaken arent the Wilds in big penalties the next season with Parise and Suter? Matheson with his salary could fit for them

Not sure if we trade Matheson or not but if we do, it's probably after UFA free agency. Teams will try to sign the available D first and then the ones who are left out will consider trades.

Matheson's value increases on the trade market come mid July or Aug. Nice to consider what we can get in return but I personally don't think he is going anywhere.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I have a feeling Habs trade Matheson this offseason. I Guess we will see.

If Habs come out of the offseason with a top 4 RHD and top 6 forward (prospect or actual roster player), i think it will be a big win.

The interesting thing is Hugues have lots of munitions to pull the trigger and the timing is pretty good. Just need to find the right dancing partner.
I think Savard moving is far more likely.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
They've been in that for the last 2 years. They have one more year than are in the clear.

They already have everyone signed at forward & goal. They have 5D signed, but really need two top 4D. They only have $6m in cap space, though. They can probably get away with one quality top 4D (like Pesce, Roy, DeMelo or Tanev).
Not that I think Matheson is worth a top 15 pick at all, but I wonder if they would trade a future 1st + prospect for him (no retention) and try to lure Tanev at a big discount price. Very unlikely in reality, but they could be very dangerous adding both Matheson and Tanev.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It shouldn't be. People talk about vets mentoring the kids, Savard's the guy they should keep to do that. He's our only vet D who actually plays defense steadily.
I’m going by contract length and time remaining. No one on the roster can bring the offence like Matheson can from the back end. Unless it’s an offer they can’t refuse, I do t see them moving him. Savard can easily be replaced via trade or FA.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
I’m going by contract length and time remaining. No one on the roster can bring the offence like Matheson can from the back end. Unless it’s an offer they can’t refuse, I do t see them moving him. Savard can easily be replaced via trade or FA.
On the flipside, what asset does Savard bring back that makes it worthwhile to trade him away? His contract is expiring and he's a decent mentor, whatever option you replace him with likely isn't worth the extra steps to get a late round pick imo.
It would be nice to capitalize on Matheson at likely max value, even if there's no immediate replacement for his offensive contribution.

Reactions: SnapVirus

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
See this is what I don't understand.

Obviously I'm not a Matheson guy, but if this is true, why wouldn't he be the one to be traded, and why would people not want to trade him? Are we winning the cup in the next two years? Are we contending/competing? Highly HIGHLY unlikely.

Then if Matheson is this super valuable, really good, irreplaceable defenseman like some people rate him.... why at this stage of the rebuild do we need him on our team at this point in time? Why not trade a guy who supposedly has tremendous value, and who likely won't be here in the long term? Just so we can win a couple of more games and finish 8th last? It makes no sense to me.

"You need veteran D on the backend, you can't have all kids back there" Sounds good, there's plenty of veteran D on the UFA market we can get for cheaper (and in my opinion play way better defense). If Matheson is SO valuable that we should only trade him if we get an offer we can't refuse, then he will fetch a haul or a very nice piece at the very least, something that may be here longer-term and have way more of an impact in the future.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014

Obviously I'm not a Matheson guy, but if this is true, why wouldn't he be the one to be traded, and why would people not want to trade him? Are we winning the cup in the next two years? Are we contending/competing? Highly HIGHLY unlikely.

Then if Matheson is this super valuable, really good, irreplaceable defenseman like some people rate him.... why at this stage of the rebuild do we need him on our team at this point in time? Why not trade a guy who supposedly has tremendous value, and who likely won't be here in the long term? Just so we can win a couple of more games and finish 8th last? It makes no sense to me.

"You need veteran D on the backend, you can't have all kids back there" Sounds good, there's plenty of veteran D on the UFA market we can get for cheaper (and in my opinion play way better defense). If Matheson is SO valuable that we should only trade him if we get an offer we can't refuse, then he will fetch a haul or a very nice piece at the very least, something that may be here longer-term and have way more of an impact in the future.
Exactly.
Plus we're gonna have to start investing quality offense minutes into our young D to see what they're capable of and develop them. As long as Matheson remains, he's likely eating up a significant amount of those no matter what.
The goal isn't to head into a competitive window with 33yo+ Matheson making 7M$+ as our top offensive weapon on D. That would be a waste of a rebuild.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
On the flipside, what asset does Savard bring back that makes it worthwhile to trade him away? His contract is expiring and he's a decent mentor, whatever option you replace him with likely isn't worth the extra steps to get a late round pick imo.
It would be nice to capitalize on Matheson at likely max value, even if there's no immediate replacement for his offensive contribution.

The issue is Matheson is unique on this team with what he does. Habs have virtually no offence from the backend outside of Matheson who is a proficient puck carrier and transitions well. He's absolutely worth more than Savard but he's also needed more than Savard on this team. Can Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux etc. replace him? Probably someone eventually will but Habs have 2 more years of Matheson to figure it out and are not in a rush to move him without a backstop already in place. That's too risky a move and not necessary, not to mention the pressure you'd be putting on a 1st year rookie that could have series adverse effects on their development.

Savard is a shut down D which can more easily be replaced if they had to. Matheson is a 50+ point D which isn't so easily replaced.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023

Yeah, exactly my thoughts. Trade Matheson for a young offensive stud. Sign Carrier

Guhle-Mailloux
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Carrier

Perfect while waiting for Rein and Engstrom

Reactions: SnapVirus

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I think Savard moving is far more likely.
I disagree. They won't trade away his experience for a nothing return. They also need RHD more than LHD.

Savard makes more sense than Matheson if they intend to keep Guhle playing right side and bring Reinbacher up this season. Which is a big stretch imo.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
ok KH, we are all waiting for the big moves.
getter done! lol

I want Laine when you can talk to him.

KH move Matheson, it is the best he will ever do last season. time to cash in on this
Laine would be so f***ing nice.

It would be mega-hype.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad