HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024-25 Season

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Completely agree with your take on Laraque. It so funny that in his heads he thinks he knows hockey very well, but he is completely out of his depth when it comes to analyzing anything like plays, players or even trades.

But he is entertaining I will give him that, not the worst sports radio talk show I've heard
Laraque is more an entertainer, pitchman, PR guy and sports personality than he is a pundit. He’s constantly throwing stuff against the wall cause the environment he’s in, allows it to go either unchallenged or to be mildly countered so as to not make him look bad.

I doubt he has any insider knowledge and he’s not an authority on NHL strongmen when it comes to trade rumors.

Reactions: Andrei79

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Not rebuilding but they traded Lindholm, Hanifin, Tanev, Zadorov, Toffoli, Monahan, Mangiapane, Markstrom the last two years. Okay
And the owner wouldn't allow them to trade Markstrom last year. They are trying to make the playoffs. Highly unlikely they move Andersson unless he won't reup with them.
Things may change if they are well out of a playoff spot near the trade deadline.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Which Anderson is that?

83603.jpg

Reactions: Rapala and vokiel

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Offersheets fail more often than not, and spark unnecessary drama between teams. They also require a lot of draft capital, and the Habs wouldn't be in a position to warrant losing those picks straight after this season.

Then there's also the fact that the Rangers and Lafrenière are trying to get a contract together right now that would pay him somewhere in the 8M$ range for multiple years. So chances are that he doesn't even make it to RFA status.

The final nail in the coffin of this idea would be that the Rangers are actually pretty okay cap-wise to match a REASONABLE offersheet for Lafrenière even if they sign Shesterkin to the close to 12M$ deal that he is reportedly looking for.

Fact of the matter is that with the rising cap it's actually easier now to find teams willing to take salary back for nothing than in the years directly post-Covid, with the flat cap. As proof, look no further than what okay-ish players with a relatively high cap-hit, like Ceci, got in exchange last Summer.

Following that logic, the Rangers could look to trade Jacob Trouba in 2025, on the last year of his current deal, and not have to pay through the nose and maybe actually get something in exchange for him.

They could also elect to keep Trouba and instead let one or both of Reilly Smith and Ryan Lindgren go as UFAs, replace them with cheap depth or prospects graduating form the AHL, and have enough for both Shesterkin's and Lafrenière's new deals.

So yeah, it was fun talking/posting about it but your scenario won't happen.

As far as trades concerning the Montreal Canadiens go, we'll get much more clarity in the next 10-15 games as to what the 2024-2025 season will be like and that will tell our management if/how they should shift their trading strategy and focus.

And as they progress through the season, our players/prospects will show their stuff in various leagues, allowing management to accumulate yet more insight regarding the prospects' likely NHL upside.

So yeah, stand pat for now. Revisit in a couple weeks/months when we have more information basically.
Habs need that Eichel type player to get near a cup. Not many available . Lafreniere coming into his own, ready now. Habs be drafting late with him added. Only 2 of his caliber in upcoming draft. Even if we draft top 2 this draft be 5 years before he's ready. Rangers in caphell, hard against cap now. With 20 million coming increases to Shesterkin, Lafreniere, Miller, Chyil, Tempe. Trouba not moving, he loves NY with full NMC.

That's if you're interested in winning a cup. If you not, then your post more right than mine

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Habs need that Eichel type player to get near a cup. Not many available . Lafreniere coming into his own, ready now. Habs be drafting late with him added. Only 2 of his caliber in upcoming draft. Even if we draft top 2 this draft be 5 years before he's ready. Rangers in caphell, hard against cap now. With 20 million coming increases to Shesterkin, Lafreniere, Miller, Chyil, Tempe. Trouba not moving, he loves NY with full NMC.

That's if you're interested in winning a cup. If you not, then your post more right than mine
Trouba has no full NMC any more, he was almost gone last offseason and will be this time.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Drury already said last summer this is Trouba’s last year w NYR - he will be moved next summer

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
The Romanov for a first round pick was great. The Dach trade was a mistake in retrospect. Same for the Lehkonen trade. Maybe they should focus on drafting well and unless an obvious Monahan trade shows up, no need to rush the rebuild.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I have been looking at Arber Xhekaj as a Unicorn. Clearly things are not going to plan, with people faulting Arber and MSL. Bottom line he is not getting the ice time and so the trust from MSL.

I'm not sold on Zegras but apparently Hughes was looking at him. Xhekaj is the kind of guy Verbeek likes. Zegras is not off to a good start.

I think Zegras will do well under Marty and Xhekaj will be appreciated in Anaheim more than here.

We pull a trade like this with these 2 as the main pieces we move up in skill but get cottonelle soft.

I'm not throwing this out there because I want this trade to happen, but only because of the previous interest in Zegras and the apparent disfavour our boy finds himself in.

From my view, just like with Emelin, I wad prepared to overlook defensive shortcomings because of what else was brought to the table by the player.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
We need to stabilize our defense. That's the most important thing imo. Yeah we need toughness but we won't be able to do much until Dvorak, Armia and Gallagher are still on the team on the bottom 6.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Would you guys do the following this summer :

Rasmus Andersson + Martin Pospisil
for
Kirby Dach, Newhook and Barron

Based on the premise Andersson would agree to an extension with us.

Slaf-Suzuki-Demidov
McQueen-Hage-Caufield
Pospisil-Beck-Roy
Xhekaj-Kapanen-Xhekaj

Guhle-Andersson
Hutson-Reinbacher
Struble-Mailloux

Fowler
Dobes

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

for

Slaf-Suzuki-Demidov
McQueen-Hage-Caufield
Pospisil-Beck-Roy
Xhekaj-Kapanen-Xhekaj

Guhle-Andersson
Hutson-Reinbacher
Struble-Mailloux

Fowler
Dobes
McQueen isn't NHL ready.

Why is Arber now a forward ?

Why is Hage there already ?

Why is Florian on the team?

Why is Beck there already?

Why is Roy there ? He might be ready, he might not.

Why is Reinbacher there after missing pretty much a full season?

Why is Fowler there already?

Why would Calgary do that trade ?

Like, you didn't put any thought into this.

• Haha
Reactions: Goalfield13

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020

for

Slaf-Suzuki-Demidov
McQueen-Hage-Caufield
Pospisil-Beck-Roy
Xhekaj-Kapanen-Xhekaj

Guhle-Andersson
Hutson-Reinbacher
Struble-Mailloux

Fowler
Dobes

MTL C line is too weak to entertain this and there are too many "if" in the scenario.

I'm the first to say Dach hasn't look good, but we have have to take a chill pill and let the guy play and regain his form. May I remind people that last year, at this exact same time, people wanted to send Slaf in Laval?? he turn his season around in Dec/Jan.... Lets give Dach the same space to work on his game, and he may be back to this dominant player we saw last pre-season.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
McQueen isn't NHL ready.

Why is Arber now a forward ?

Why is Hage there already ?

Why is Florian on the team?

Why is Beck there already?

Why is Roy there ? He might be ready, he might not.

Why is Reinbacher there after missing pretty much a full season?

Why is Fowler there already?

Why would Calgary do that trade ?

Like, you didn't put any thought into this.
Who said it was the lineup for next season??

Looks like you put too much thought into it.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
MTL C line is too weak to entertain this and there are too many "if" in the scenario.

I'm the first to say Dach hasn't look good, but we have have to take a chill pill and let the guy play and regain his form. May I remind people that last year, at this exact same time, people wanted to send Slaf in Laval?? he turn his season around in Dec/Jan.... Lets give Dach the same space to work on his game, and he may be back to this dominant player we saw last pre-season.
i agree with you we need to give him some time. And for me, he will be back on track sooner than later if he stays healthy.

If we come back to my trade, i trade Dach not because he sucks but because he is a legitimate young 2nd line center that would interest a team that has a top pair RHD to trade.

So all in all, would you, has a Habs fan, trade our 2nd line center to stabilize our D?

For me i do it because i'm more confident with our depth at C with Hage, maybe Demidov, Beck, kapanen than our depth on rhd with Reinbacher (injuries) and Mailloux (not convince he is top 4 material).

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Trouba not moving, he loves NY with full NMC.
Not anymore, it's now a 15-team no trade list. I would love to add Lafrenière but I don't think there's a realistic number the Rangers wouldn't just instantly match. They have a lot of guys to sign but they'll have around 32M in space before trading Trouba.

Offer sheets just generally don't make sense for top talent because top players are uniformly "underpaid" compared to the market in general so teams will always just absorb the cost because even if it's a bit more than they'd like to pay there's still no better way to spend the money. If we sent Lafrenière a 10M offer sheet the Rangers will just find a way to make it work because it's not like they're better off spending eg. 7M on Ehlers and 3M on a 3rd liner instead.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad