HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Well from a pure hockey point of view they pretty much bring the same thing and have similar upside in my opinion.

Still, a players value, ultimately, is what a GM agrees to pay for.

Romanov have something (worthless) that Struble has not... reputation.

I strongly doubt a GM would offer a top 15 pick for Struble, but sincerely, depending who is left in the 2024 draft after #20, a soft-ass team like the leafs would, in my opinion, benefit from giving #23 for Struble. I perceive his upside as 2nd pairing, PKer, ~18-20 min a night with percutant physicality and good puck moving.
A player's value is also what a GM agrees to take back for that player.
If the Habs think he's worth a top 15 pick and the other teams don't agree, then just keep him.
They don't have to trade him. Especially not to Toronto.
Of course, in the context of the draft, it depends on what players are still on the board at the time of a pick.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Mcdonaldz

Jul 26, 2021
Harris to Utah makes a lot of sense.

Weber being the only D under contract they have with NHL experience… per DLC

I’m sure there’s a few RFA, UFA in there but still.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Although I'd be tempted with Matheson for 10th OA it really has little chance of happening, NJ doesn't need an offensive D, they need a steadying presence. And the Habs have made it clear that they want to see progress and be in the mix for a playoff spot so trading Matheson for futures makes little sense.

On top of which Hughes is no doubt negotiating with Slafkovsky and Guhle about signing long term team friendly deals with the pitch that by leaving a little money on the table it will give him the flexibility to add core pieces and trading your #1 D flies in the face of that.
Maybe in a 3 way trade with a team willing to trade a steady and young number 3-4 for a cheap offensive guy? Any teams fitting that description?

Beendair Donedat

Don’t be a Jimmy Juice Arse
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
That's crazy talk. Zaitsev had pretty much the same contract as Mikheyev and he was dumped for 2nd rounder and 4th rounder. Unprotected 1st?!
Except you’re comparing apples and oranges.

The Ottawa Senators were not legitimate Stanley Cup contenders prior to the season commencing in 2022-2023. The Vancouver Canucks are and took the Oilers to 7 games after dominating the regular season in this year’s playoffs. Had the Canucks had Demko healthy against the Oilers? Who knows what would have happened. As it was their third string guy gave the Oilers fits and everything they could handle.

The 2024-2025 version of the Canucks is looking to add a couple of key pieces to an already solid core group to make that final step. But they need money to make those moves. Ironically they’re already paying Ekman Larsson 2 million per to not play for them on his buyout (he’s currently on the top pair for Florida tonight). Mikheyev’s contract prevents those signings from happening. Buying him out costs the team 6 million per for two years in buyouts during their prime window to compete. Other GM’s are certainly aware of the Canucks situation, I don’t think paying the price of what will more than likely be a late 2025 1st rounder so you can have cap space to sign 2-3 elite talents is unreasonable or unrealistic. It’s essentially the price you’d have to pay to acquire elite talent anyway at the deadline, you’re just doing it early to ensure you’re getting the UFA’s you want.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Except you’re comparing apples and oranges.

The Ottawa Senators were not legitimate Stanley Cup contenders prior to the season commencing in 2022-2023. The Vancouver Canucks are and took the Oilers to 7 games after dominating the regular season in this year’s playoffs. Had the Canucks had Demko healthy against the Oilers? Who knows what would have happened. As it was their third string guy gave the Oilers fits and everything they could handle.

The 2024-2025 version of the Canucks is looking to add a couple of key pieces to an already solid core group to make that final step. But they need money to make those moves. Ironically they’re already paying Ekman Larsson 2 million per to not play for them on his buyout (he’s currently on the top pair for Florida tonight). Mikheyev’s contract prevents those signings from happening. Buying him out costs the team 6 million per for two years in buyouts during their prime window to compete. Other GM’s are certainly aware of the Canucks situation, I don’t think paying the price of what will more than likely be a late 2025 1st rounder so you can have cap space to sign 2-3 elite talents is unreasonable or unrealistic. It’s essentially the price you’d have to pay to acquire elite talent anyway at the deadline, you’re just doing it early to ensure you’re getting the UFA’s you want.
It's a situation similar to when Calgary gave a (probably late) 1st to ship out Monahan. That enabled them to sign Kadri.
People laugh at the Flames for that but was it that high a price to get Kadri?

That said, i think the Canucks would have to get desperate to give a 1st to ship out Mikheyev.
I also think that there's more than one team interested in getting him as a reclamation project, so the sweetener will probably be lower than a 1st.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
To SJ
Anderson, Gally, Kovacevic

To Mtl
Kunin, Vlasic, SJ '27 3rd

*assumes Vlasic is interested/willing to finish his career as a 6-7D in Montreal vs set on staying in the Bay area...

SJ swap of overpaid vets but get guys with more miles left in the tank than Vlasic... Both strong team & work ethic guys to help insulate/support Mack & their young talent the next 3yrs... without much risk of the net roster upgrade adding enough Ws to hurt their lottery goals. Take on ~6M$ in cap but add a roster player in process.

Habs take on Vlasic's anchor 2yrs at 7M and move him into the 6-7 spot on D. Net cap impact freeing up 6M now and another 7M in yr 3 which helps overall cap situation as we transition from rebuild to optimize for playoff runs.
Kunin provides a solid bottom 6 addition to replace Gally/Anderson. '27 pick would be very useful as trade chip when deadline buying down the road.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
And who the Habs would take back to create cap space?

Yes, I had the same question....

How does Edm adding Price's contract, even if it is put to ltir in the season, help them at all?

so their best plan is to take a 10m LITR and have only 9 players signed for next season? I dont understand

If I get the whole LTIR thing right,, it would allow them to move over the cap

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Yes, I agree with this. But in most drafts, you got a good feel for who is going to be good and who are the questionable ones. In this draft, it's difficult to pick who will bust.

How many from 1-13 disappoint/bust? Not sure. I'll say at least 1 or 2. Maybe 3.

It's not a question of busting. It's a question of spending assets for another 10 top pick that, even if a good player, will not be contributing in any meaningful way for at least 3-4 years. Not to mention that the odds of nabbing two good players at 5 and at 10 isn't actually that high when you look at the last 10 years of drafts.

I think it's fine picking at 5oa and waiting for that player to contribute, but the assets it takes to acquire 10oa, I'd rather they spent on getting ready to contribute talent.

Reactions: dinodebino

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
If I get the whole LTIR thing right,, it would allow them to move over the cap
I don't think you get it. That would allow them to go up to 10.5M over the cap but they would also have 10.5M more in cap hit, giving them no net benefit, only headaches.
The only cap space they could save is a contract they'd send back. The only candidate i see is the Campbell contract and i don't think the Habs would take that.

See the Weber-Dadonov deal.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
To SJ
Anderson, Gally, Kovacevic

To Mtl
Kunin, Vlasic, SJ '27 3rd

*assumes Vlasic is interested/willing to finish his career as a 6-7D in Montreal vs set on staying in the Bay area...

SJ swap of overpaid vets but get guys with more miles left in the tank than Vlasic... Both strong team & work ethic guys to help insulate/support Mack & their young talent the next 3yrs... without much risk of the net roster upgrade adding enough Ws to hurt their lottery goals. Take on ~6M$ in cap but add a roster player in process.

Habs take on Vlasic's anchor 2yrs at 7M and move him into the 6-7 spot on D. Net cap impact freeing up 6M now and another 7M in yr 3 which helps overall cap situation as we transition from rebuild to optimize for playoff runs.
Kunin provides a solid bottom 6 addition to replace Gally/Anderson. '27 pick would be very useful as trade chip when deadline buying down the road.
That's a huge pass by San Jose. They're taking on 2 cap dumps that both have an extra year and get no compensation for it.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Filip Hronek, who just signed a 8 year 7.25M/yr deal with the Canucks a few days ago, was traded by the Wings to the Canucks for a 1st round pick + 2nd round pick, at the time he was having a career year with 38pts.

Sure, he was a bit younger then, but he like Matheson is far from a perfect Dman in his own zone...

I continue to repeat it, but the way some folks just toss Matheson aside like he has no value is complete madness.
I don’t understand why people do see the value but I can’t imagine why they don’t see value in is contract 2 years under 5m$… this would be a dream for a contender…

Reactions: 417

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I don’t understand why people do see the value but I can’t imagine why they don’t see value in is contract 2 years under 5m$… this would be a dream for a contender…

Matheson would un-contend a contender instantly upon acquisition.

I don't think some of you people truly appreciate just how bad he is. But I ultimately admire your optimism.

Last edited:
Reactions: McGees

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Would you guys consider trading Anderson for a retained cap Couturier?
Depending on the retention, absolutely. The term is the only killer. Couturier is far better offensively, miles better defensively, would insulate our youth, let Suzuki play more offensive minutes, and could mentor guys like Beck. He'd be a huge addition.

Reactions: Wats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad