HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I'm positive the Habs aren't going to make their current lineup worse, by trading Matheson for a draft pick that *might* help them in 2 years time if all goes well.

They're not at that stage of their "rebuild".

At least IMO.
I would really recommend that habs fans look at the top 10 draft picks of the last 10 years years. The odds of hitting twice in the top 10, at 5 and 10OA is not that high.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I really thought Devils would trade their 10th OA pick for a #1 goalie (Markstrom). But as we know, they traded a 2025 1st instead. Then I saw online that they're looking for an LD for their 10th pick. Curious if Matheson is someone they might be interested in and if Habs would be willing to swing such a deal.

Or if MTL prefers leveraging Matheson for more immediate help like a pick and a prospect/young NHL'er who fits the team's age core.

I don't think there's interest.....on both side.

I don't think NJ is looking to trade their 10th overall for a D with only 2 years left on his contract and I don't think Matheson is the type of D they would be looking for anyway. They already have Hamilton, Hughes and even Nemec bringing offensive from their D. And as they did with Markstrom, they will do whatever they can to get what they need without giving that 10th overall....

My guess is they are looking for a more steady #4 or #5 D and probably against Holtz who's been in the trade rumor since TDL (even mentioned as an option for Markstrom back in February)

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
My go "get them guys"

1. Laine ( a hockey deal, 2 years contract not a anchor and he is young if healthy)
2. Kent Johnson
3. unknown name KH will surprise us
4. Necas
5. Zegras
6. trade Math + and get a top six scorer
7. move out Dvorak
8. trade Anderson in a hockey deal (one for one) like when we got him

I think Laine would be great on the 2nd line, less pressure and awesome on the PP, best part he is not old and when drafted he wanted to prove when he should be #1 not nostrils. So playing the figs he would be pumped.
I know I know, he is lazy, has issues, in the NHLPA program, but I liked this young guy in the peg, seen him live vs the habs there many times. Sue me, lol I really like this guy
I know that the most favorite list but.. hey I guess like the SN and TSN crew

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Although I'd be tempted with Matheson for 10th OA it really has little chance of happening, NJ doesn't need an offensive D, they need a steadying presence. And the Habs have made it clear that they want to see progress and be in the mix for a playoff spot so trading Matheson for futures makes little sense.

On top of which Hughes is no doubt negotiating with Slafkovsky and Guhle about signing long term team friendly deals with the pitch that by leaving a little money on the table it will give him the flexibility to add core pieces and trading your #1 D flies in the face of that.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
My go "get them guys"

1. Laine ( a hockey deal, 2 years contract not a anchor and he is young if healthy)
2. Kent Johnson
4. Necas
5. Zegras
7. move out Dvorak

I think Laine would be great on the 2nd line, less pressure and awesome on the PP, best part he is not old and when drafted he wanted to prove when he should be #1 not nostrils. So playing the figs he would be pumped.
I know I know, he is lazy, has issues, in the NHLPA program, but I liked this young guy in the peg, seen him live vs the habs there many times. Sue me, lol I really like this guy
Hopefully 2 or 3 of these options are feasible at once, depending on how many young defensemen are ready to step up to a meaningful role. The forward corps needs a reset.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect Zegras, Necas, and Laine to hit 65pts next season but yet to say they're comparable acquisitions with that of Dach and Newhook is just... not worth pursuing the discussion.

Zegras, Necas, and Laine each have a career high that's about double that of Dach at the time of trade.

Not sure what you're trying to say -- I'm consistent: I want a better team and I don't think "waiting" is a strategy that gets us there.

You want the team to improve by getting younger talented players and expect them to either play close to their previous peak and base your expectations on that regardless of other factors. You also want to rely on unrealistic growth of prospects to do so and then vent when your expectations aren't met.

I don't even disagree with Montreal going after Zegras, Necas and/or Laine, but I also don't care if Montreal is a better team next year as long as they get closer to being a legitimate contender. And your posts tend to come off as wanting the team to compete for a playoff spot sooner, even if it hurts their chances to actually becoming a contender.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You want to hear madness? Apparently, Matheson is shit, but at the same time he will bring a great value in a trade for some reason.
He won't bring the value some believe because teams won't trade for him as a top pairing guy. He is clearly in the wrong seat.
A super second pairing guy if he could only clean up his unforced errors.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This feels like an incredibly reductive interpretation of multiple different opinions, but:

-Guhle being traded for a forward would set Montreal further back in the near term, which is counterproductive if the goal is to win now. You also don't need to trade him to take a D, Montreal's prospect pools isn't so strong
-Xhekaj isn't going to return a difference maker at forward.
-Matheson isn't going to return a Zegras/Necas difference maker at forward AND his role is incredibly hard to replace if the goal is to be competitive now.

I also think you're overestimating how conservative most on here are.

And I'm sorry, but Ducks, Bolts AND Stars have "dogged it" for longer stretches of time than the Habs ever have. What those teams know is that you need star talent to win and there generally has to be pain to get them. Whereas Montreal was previously perfectly content with being mediocre as long as they could sell being "competitive" and making the playoffs where "anything can happen".

You can dream in whatever shades you want, but patience and being realistic is a virtue for where Montreal is. That doesn't mean they're being conservative (making trades for the likes of Dach and Newhook certainly isn't that).
Great post.
The team is still evaluating what we have and will have a much better feel for what needs to happen in our top nine by next year.
Expecting to go from the Bottom to contention in 3 drafts is bullshit you only have to look at our roster to understand that.
We have Slaf Suzuki and Caufield up front two of whom I believe are top line material IMO.
Dach is on injury watch again Newhook is still learning what it will take to be a top 6 forward in this league.

When Armia is one of your most impactful forwards on a nightly basis there is plenty of work to do on the roster.
HuGo can't afford to make the wrong trade at this point so taking a flyer on Laine or spending the assets for Necas just doesn't make sense.
People seem to be convinced Hutson Reinbacher and Mailloux are all ready for the show when that is just not the case.

I abhor our bottom six specifically and don't expect to win much of anything with that soft belly.
People want to complete building the house when we don't even have a solid foundation yet.
We need to get bigger stronger faster and meaner and that alone will start bringing us in more wins.
If by chance we are in the thick of thing by TDL then we can start looking at taking a flyer it's actually the most logical time to do it.

Personally I don't see Hughes making any of the moves put forward here. Hopefully he'll surprise us with something else.
We still have plenty to lop off before starting to add.

Last edited:

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Do you think it's possible we go out and get a Hendrix Lapierre/ McMichael from the Caps (similar to how we got Newhook) now that PLD has essentially taken up a top 6 C spot there for the foreseeable future?

I don't know which one we'd prefer or what WSH would want to get it done, but those are a couple of other names I can see being available now that that trade has happened.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014

Winnipeg receives

F Josh Anderson

D Jayden Struble

D Justin Barron

F Owen Beck

Carolina’s 2024 second-round pick

Carolina receives

F Nikolaj Ehlers

D Jordan Harris

26th overall pick from Montreal, previously acquired from Winnipeg

Montreal receives

F Martin Necas

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Winnipeg receives

F Josh Anderson

D Jayden Struble

D Justin Barron

F Owen Beck

Carolina receives

F Nikolaj Ehlers

D Jordan Harris

Montreal receives

F Martin Necas

I'd rather have Ehlers than Necas, but that makes a lot of sense for Montreal - would be nice to sub Beck with a guy like Mesar though.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Winnipeg receives

F Josh Anderson

D Jayden Struble

D Justin Barron

F Owen Beck

Carolina receives

F Nikolaj Ehlers

D Jordan Harris

Montreal receives

F Martin Necas

Hard pass.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
My go "get them guys"

2. Kent Johnson
4. Necas
5. Zegras
7. move out Dvorak

I think there is a deal to be made between us and Columbus.
Switching 4 and 5 and putting Laine in there somewhere.......I would loveto see something like that happen.....it's only 2 years left for Laine.........................seems like a good gamble.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'd rather have Ehlers than Necas, but that makes a lot of sense for Montreal - would be nice to sub Beck with a guy like Mesar though.

Winnipeg receives

F Josh Anderson

D Jayden Struble

D Justin Barron

F Owen Beck

Carolina receives

F Nikolaj Ehlers

D Jordan Harris

Montreal receives

F Martin Necas
Great Fiction.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada

Winnipeg receives

F Josh Anderson

D Jayden Struble

D Justin Barron

F Owen Beck

Carolina receives

F Nikolaj Ehlers

D Jordan Harris

Montreal receives

F Martin Necas
This reads a lot like a trade we'd come up with on here for shits and gigs. That's a LOT of players going from MTL to get one guy back.

Like the author says, nothing is exactly backbreaking here but still. The Canes essentially trade Necas and a 2nd for Ehlers and Montreal gives up like 8 guys for Necas.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Winnipeg receives

F Josh Anderson

D Jayden Struble

D Justin Barron

F Owen Beck

Carolina receives

F Nikolaj Ehlers

D Jordan Harris

Montreal receives

F Martin Necas
So Habs give up SIX pieces for Necas lol. Seems excessive to me. Beck and the Jets first would be enough for me. Everything else is paying teams to take Anderson which I don’t think Habs would do anyways.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This reads a lot like a trade we'd come up with on here for shits and gigs. That's a LOT of players going from MTL to get one guy back.

Like the author says, nothing is exactly backbreaking here but still. The Canes essentially trade Necas and a 2nd for Ehlers and Montreal gives up like 8 guys for Necas.

That's about as ludicrous a proposal as I've seen around here..

1st, Beck Strubble, Barron, Harris & Anderson for Necas 😂

Reactions: Sterling Archer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad