HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would really recommend that habs fans look at the top 10 draft picks of the last 10 years years. The odds of hitting twice in the top 10, at 5 and 10OA is not that high.

Yes, I agree with this. But in most drafts, you got a good feel for who is going to be good and who are the questionable ones. In this draft, it's difficult to pick who will bust.

How many from 1-13 disappoint/bust? Not sure. I'll say at least 1 or 2. Maybe 3.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
You're crazy. Recency bias is pretty wild.

That is not recency bias. I have valid argument, counter argue them instead. But i am crazy tho.

Weber has been good his 1st season and during the 2021 playoff for the cup run, especially in 2021 he was a f***ing madman.

Matheson brings a level of mobility we have never seen from Weber. He brings a level of offense we have also never seen from Weber. Actually, we haven't seen much from Weber offensively, except for his one timer that in hindsight, felt a tad overrated.

Matheson is playing some of the toughest minutes league wide, that was also true for Weber. Shea was indeed stronger but we haven't seen the level of intimidation/physicality he was known for here. (We have witnessed it in 2021 playoff). Its not inherent in Matheson game but his stamina and capacity to regenerate quickly is a major contrast with the slowness and tiredness that the old broken Weber had.

Matheson is known for his many, many blunder. Correct. But Weber in MTL was full of blunder and embarassing plays too.

Again, i am not arguing their overall career or Weber peaks VS Matheson. Its Weber AINEC.

I am simply stating that the Matheson we have witnessed for two seasons have reached a level of play that Weber-MTL played below, in my humble opinion.

Mind you, Prime Nashville Weber is miles ahead, not even close, to what we have witnessed from Weber MTL and Matheson.

Reactions: rahad and ReHabs

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
That is not recency bias. I have valid argument, counter argue them instead. But i am crazy tho.

Weber has been good his 1st season and during the 2021 playoff for the cup run, especially in 2021 he was a f***ing madman.

Matheson brings a level of mobility we have never seen from Weber. He brings a level of offense we have also never seen from Weber. Actually, we haven't seen much from Weber offensively, except for his one timer that in hindsight, felt a tad overrated.

Matheson is playing some of the toughest minutes league wide, that was also true for Weber. Shea was indeed stronger but we haven't seen the level of intimidation/physicality he was known for here. (We have witnessed it in 2021 playoff). Its not inherent in Matheson game but his stamina and capacity to regenerate quickly is a major contrast with the slowness and tiredness that the old broken Weber had.

Matheson is known for his many, many blunder. Correct. But Weber in MTL was full of blunder and embarassing plays too.

Again, i am not arguing their overall career or Weber peaks VS Matheson. Its Weber AINEC.

I am simply stating that the Matheson we have witnessed for two seasons have reached a level of play that Weber-MTL played below, in my humble opinion.

Mind you, Prime Nashville Weber is miles ahead, not even close, to what we have witnessed from Weber MTL and Matheson.
Matheson is a complete disaster defensively and also a hot grenade during PP. I don't know in what world those the speed of his skating makes him above Weber. The guy has cost more in goals against than what he gives us. We also learned that Matheson on full minutes is just not it. He can't handle it.

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
One thing I will say is that I hope we don’t burn any picks on Goalies this draft. We loaded up last year and have a pretty good complement of talented goalie prospects, plus value wise I find goalies hold the worst value in terms of prospects.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016

TL;DR. I watch hockey too, you'll never convince me Matheson plays better hockey than Weber did for Montreal. Weber led an actual playoff team with Price that had no bussiness ever being as good a team as they were. Matheson can score points when league scoring is massively up and 0 pressure on a rebuilding team.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Matheson is a complete disaster defensively and also a hot grenade during PP. I don't know in what world those the speed of his skating makes him above Weber. The guy has cost more in goals against than what he gives us. We also learned that Matheson on full minutes is just not it. He can't handle it.

I think its a bit harsh on Matheson but i simply want to highlight that Weber also was a disaster and also handled the puck like a hot grenade

TL;DR. I watch hockey too, you'll never convince me Matheson plays better hockey than Weber did for Montreal. Weber led an actual playoff team with Price that had no bussiness ever being as good a team as they were. Matheson can score points when league scoring is massively up and 0 pressure on a rebuilding team.

Weber was insane during this playoff, similar to what he was in Nashville. Its not what we have seen from him in a consistent fashion tho.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Would you guys consider trading Anderson for a retained cap Couturier?
Absolutely. I don't think the Flyers would trade their captain for a player that underachieved last season even without retaining on Couturier unfortunately.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would you guys consider trading Anderson for a retained cap Couturier?

Term is too long for Couturier. Already showing signs of usage/wear at age 31. Signed till age 37. Very risky to do this. I would have more faith in a Dubois or Anderson rebound than a Couturier rebound from age 31-37. Possible you might get a few good seasons but then stuck with a anchor contract at age 34+.... this at the most important time of our rebuild. He's got more usage/wear signs than Weber did.

Anderson will be better this year. If teams want us to pay to move him, don't. If we are able to move him for a equal contract/term, we can consider it.

Not even sure I'd consider the 50% retention if they offered it on Couturier.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

I’m sorry but this is f***ing insane lmao

Reactions: Jaynki

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Weber and Price were great but man, some of us need to stop disrespecting that roster. You don't fluke a cup finals regardless of any division you are in. There was more to this than just Price and Weber. Danault was a huge impact as well in the match-up game. The supporting cast beyond Caufield and Suzuki was also sound.

* Price
* Strong top 4D and very physical (forcing things to the outside)
* Danault

* Suzuki and Caufield buzzing around as young players with lots of energy

* Lehkonen, Toffoli, Byron, Gallagher, Staal, Anderson.

Yeah, Matheson is a great puck mover for us and has helped improved our PP. Too bad we didn't have him with Weber back when eh? Of course Weber had a great impact protecting our goalie. Matheson has really improved and he deserves credit for it. His defensive poor play is being over exaggerated. He's just as good in his own end as Sergachev is boys and girls. Other names like Rielly, Bouchard, etc. List is deep for these types.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
And similar ballpark value to Romanov 2022

Well from a pure hockey point of view they pretty much bring the same thing and have similar upside in my opinion.

Still, a players value, ultimately, is what a GM agrees to pay for.

Romanov have something (worthless) that Struble has not... reputation.

I strongly doubt a GM would offer a top 15 pick for Struble, but sincerely, depending who is left in the 2024 draft after #20, a soft-ass team like the leafs would, in my opinion, benefit from giving #23 for Struble. I perceive his upside as 2nd pairing, PKer, ~18-20 min a night with percutant physicality and good puck moving.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I’d rather use our cap space for a predatory move similar to the one Hughes made with Monahan - this time with Mikheyev in Vancouver.

Mikheyev is coming off a terrible season, and the Canucks want to compete NOW while they still have value in their deals with Hughes and Demko respectively. They’re rumoured to want to keep Zadorov and very much in on Guentzel, so they’ll need cap space. Habs could take on Mikheyev’s full 4.5 million dollar hit and throw in Ylonen, in exchange for the Canucks 2025 1st rounder, unprotected.

Canucks do this because if they buy out Mikheyev, that means they would be paying 6 million plus for the next two years on players to not play for them. It’s cheaper to simply pay the draft pick for the cap space and use it to sign UFA’s to chase the cup.

Habs would be gambling on Mikheyev rounding back into the form he had displayed before when he scored 20 goals. He’d add some size to our forward group, and if they end up somehow drafting Demidov, he could act as a mentor.

So I’d propose:

To Vancouver: Jesse Ylonen

To Montreal: Ilya Mikheyev, 2025 1st round pick (unprotected).

Habs would then have 3 firsts in next year’s draft, which gives them a ton of currency in what I consider to be their huge off season year to really swing for the fences.
That's crazy talk. Zaitsev had pretty much the same contract as Mikheyev and he was dumped for 2nd rounder and 4th rounder. Unprotected 1st?!

Reactions: Deus ex machina

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I’d rather use our cap space for a predatory move similar to the one Hughes made with Monahan - this time with Mikheyev in Vancouver.

Mikheyev is coming off a terrible season, and the Canucks want to compete NOW while they still have value in their deals with Hughes and Demko respectively. They’re rumoured to want to keep Zadorov and very much in on Guentzel, so they’ll need cap space. Habs could take on Mikheyev’s full 4.5 million dollar hit and throw in Ylonen, in exchange for the Canucks 2025 1st rounder, unprotected.

Canucks do this because if they buy out Mikheyev, that means they would be paying 6 million plus for the next two years on players to not play for them. It’s cheaper to simply pay the draft pick for the cap space and use it to sign UFA’s to chase the cup.

Habs would be gambling on Mikheyev rounding back into the form he had displayed before when he scored 20 goals. He’d add some size to our forward group, and if they end up somehow drafting Demidov, he could act as a mentor.

So I’d propose:

To Vancouver: Jesse Ylonen

To Montreal: Ilya Mikheyev, 2025 1st round pick (unprotected).

Habs would then have 3 firsts in next year’s draft, which gives them a ton of currency in what I consider to be their huge off season year to really swing for the fences.

To Montreal: Ilya Mikheyev

To Vancouver: Carey Price

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I really thought Devils would trade their 10th OA pick for a #1 goalie (Markstrom). But as we know, they traded a 2025 1st instead. Then I saw online that they're looking for an LD for their 10th pick. Curious if Matheson is someone they might be interested in and if Habs would be willing to swing such a deal.

Or if MTL prefers leveraging Matheson for more immediate help like a pick and a prospect/young NHL'er who fits the team's age core.
I am for trading Matheson at his high. Use his caphit sign a Veteran right shot D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad