HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Matheson is a very mobile 60 pts D-man. Top 10 skater in the league. He absolutely nets a top 15 pick.
Hughes will never do it though as the team will suffer offensively.
Never is a strong word. But it would take a significant bounty for Hughes to trade Matheson.

In Hughes’ mind he would be asking himself: who would replace the 25 to 26 high leveraged minutes a game that Matheson now plays?

When he realizes that no one on Montreal’s roster could provide those minutes, that to acquire a defenceman of similar talent would cost Montreal precious assets and that such replacement player would probably have twice Matheson’s salary, Hughes would say no thanks to any offer.

Unless, of course, some Bergevin-like general manager grossly overpays.

Last edited:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I don't understand why people are so scared of trading Matheson lol , do you expect the team to have Matheson on it when we are contending?

What's so bad about a rebuilding team going in with holes in the roster , I don't see the big deal , I guess we are trying to compete next year so Hughes won't flip him

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
I don't understand why people are so scared of trading Matheson lol , do you expect the team to have Matheson on it when we are contending?

What's so bad about a rebuilding team going in with holes in the roster , I don't see the big deal , I guess we are trying to compete next year so Hughes won't flip him
Yeah like you can just sign Carrier or even Edmundson and have him replace some of the lost minutes of Matheson.

Guhle-Carrier
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Mailloux

Is not bad

Yeah like you can just sign Carrier or even Edmundson and have him replace some of the lost minutes of Matheson.

Guhle-Carrier
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Mailloux

Is not bad
As long as you get a top pick or prospect for Matheson obv

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Return has to be good to trade Matheson. If we do, need to sign a vet like Pesce. We have very young defense

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012

The thing is……Savard then becomes your #1 RD .
Not an option!
And don’t forget that people also want Savard traded at the next trade deadline.
At least for another full season, Matheson has to stay to shelter the kids.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

people just look at his stats , defensively he's probably the worst d-man we have . Also he's not even the guy that runs the PP he just feed on 5 foot pass he gives to Suzuki or Caufield

Reactions: Benstheman

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

Some of us find talented, offensive players fun to watch and don’t get off so much at the thought the stars will align for 3 years out of the last 30 sometime in the next decade when all our hf spreadsheets say it’s time to play good hockey.

I’m on the “trade him, picks and one of the 500 lhd prospects for a younger, nhl-ready, super talented forward” clan, or keep him.

people just look at his stats , defensively he's probably the worst d-man we have . Also he's not even the guy that runs the PP he just feed on 5 foot pass he gives to Suzuki or Caufield
I agree I can’t wait for Hutson to take his spot on pp1.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

Guhle-Carrier
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Mailloux

Is not bad

As long as you get a top pick or prospect for Matheson obv
Obviously i wouldn't flip matheson for scraps or anything I actually like him but for good value? And to bolster the future top 6 , may it be picks or in a package for a dach newhook type , I wouldn't cry about it

Reactions: bsl and Benstheman

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
The thing is……Savard then becomes your #1 RD .
Not an option!
And don’t forget that people also want Savard traded at the next trade deadline.
At least for another full season, Matheson has to stay to shelter the kids.
what kid?
Harris turning 24 4th season in the NHL
Guhle turning 23 already on his 3rd season
Kovacevic turning 27
Jackeye turning 24 in January
Savard until the TDL
So what if we trade Matheson now and Savard at the TDL? just get another vet for peanuts to fill the void.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

For me he's the one preventing the kids being thrown to the wolves....but I've been saying for a while that we don't need more Vets of defense but better ones than Matheson and Savard.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
For me he's the one preventing the kids being thrown to the wolves....but I've been saying for a while that we don't need more Vets of defense but better ones than Matheson and Savard.
Savard already on the third pair , Matheson is there by Default. Guhle can play top minutes. Yeah I get it we need someone better but if you get a great top 6 player on a base with Matheson , shoot him to the sun. We got him from Petry and Poehling lmao.

Im 100% sure Guhle can play on the PP instead of Matheson. Also Matheson had a season record , big chances he won't reproduce that and he probably cost us more defensively that he gives us offensively.

He's the type of asset we can trade for something good in return

If we can't build a defense with Reinbacher Mailloux Hutson Harris Guhle Jackeye Struble and Engstrom in the pipeline and a 1 vet on the third pair then the problem is not in the lineup but higher.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
what kid?
Harris turning 24 4th season in the NHL
Guhle turning 23 already on his 3rd season
Kovacevic turning 27
Jackeye turning 24 in January
Savard until the TDL
So what if we trade Matheson now and Savard at the TDL? just get another vet for peanuts to fill the void.
I do agree these guys are the new vets. Not sure Kovy Harris or Xjekaj are taking this team to the next level though… Hoping Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher take their spots soon.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Sure if its a good young player who can play right now.

For a 12th, 13th pick just to add the later draft crush?

Not for me.
Think the trade floating around is something along the lines of Matheson for Necas plus whatever little add ons from both sides…..I would do that one, I know it’s a little early but I believe Hutson is ready for prime time and D is where we can afford to poach from in any trade proposal….especially from that left side.

Necas shores up your top 6 and with one of Demidov or Lindstrom (more then likely), would seem your top 6 is sort of set for the long haul.

Slaf-Suzuki-Necas
Lindstrom/Demidov-Dach-Caufield

This has high octane offense written all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad