HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I do agree these guys are the new vets. Not sure Kovy Harris or Xjekaj are taking this team to the next level though… Hoping Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher take their spots soon.
oh for sure guys like Harris and Kovacevic will be gone in a year probably , Jackeye is a third pair d-man we all know. It's just that we are not in trouble if we trade Matheson. It's not like we have 4 18 year olds who never played a game in the NHL. We can always sign a vet for a year at worst case scenario.

Reactions: Naslundforever

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I'm just saying I would want a GM who if offered a great package would accept a Matheson trade and not just keep him because he *needs* somebody to munch 25 minutes on the team so the fans or RDS don't go crazy if we suck again this year. But I do have faith in our new regime and I think they could be quite flexible depending on what other sides offer so I'm not too worried about asset management even when it comes to Matheson , so far they have shown that they are in the business of asset management unlike Bargain Bin who didn't have a clue.

edit : and anyways a guy like Matheson *munching* 20+ minutes of ice time isn't even directly conductive to winning the guy is so awful defensively god bless his soul because I love the guy

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Really hope Hughes trades Matheson now that his value is all time high and gets the best value for him, wont be able to stand another season of pbp guys stating how great his skating is each damn game.
Also what can our "kids" learn from Matheson? All our decent Dmen prospects will be able to sling the puck around just as good as him. He makes up for his mistakes with his god given skating talent , not much a guy like Lane can learn from that let's be honest here:laugh:

But I'm not trying to discredit the guy or what he does in the room or with the young players either because by all accounts he's a good pro

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
He had an 8 team list this past season
Well now it's 5 , sucks for him . He's overpaid anyways he should be grateful to play elsehwere

Also what can our "kids" learn from Matheson? All our decent Dmen can sling the puck around just as good as him. He makes up from his mistakes with his god given skating talent , not much a guy like Lane can learn from let's be honest here:laugh:

But I'm not trying to discredit the guy or what he does in the room or with the young players either because by all accounts he's a good pro
Let me tell you something our kids wont learn how to play defensively or physical with Matheson that's for sure.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Laine still seems like an obvious target

Would have to come cheap for me to bite on that one. I think there’s much better trading partners for Columbus than us. Zegras for Laine immediately comes to mind, teams swap similarly talented and malcontent players.

He misses a lot of time due to injury, his mental health is not great which seems to lead to him being inconsistent, and for a big player he plays a very soft game.

There’s enough red flags for me that I’d need to do a lot more homework to sign off on any deals, and I’d be very leery who I offer going the other way.

Objectively I don’t think there is a deal on the table that makes sense for both parties, tbh.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Savard already on the third pair , Matheson is there by Default. Guhle can play top minutes. Yeah I get it we need someone better but if you get a great top 6 player on a base with Matheson , shoot him to the sun. We got him from Petry and Poehling lmao.

Im 100% sure Guhle can play on the PP instead of Matheson. Also Matheson had a season record , big chances he won't reproduce that and he probably cost us more defensively that he gives us offensively.

He's the type of asset we can trade for something good in return

If we can't build a defense with Reinbacher Mailloux Hutson Harris Guhle Jackeye Struble and Engstrom in the pipeline and a 1 vet on the third pair then the problem is not in the lineup but higher.

Hutson will take care of the PP soon enough.......

The question is do they need to trade that asset to get a top 6 forward?
Cause love it or hate it, Matheson has a hell of a price tag for what he brings.

Slafkvosky, Suzuki, Caufield, Dach.
We need to find 2 more and with that 5th overall, it's probably just one more we need to find.

We have a tons of assets to make it happen, from prospects, picks to cap space and roster players.
Trading Matheson is just not the first option I would explore.....they got Dach for Romanov, I'm sure there would be better options.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Laine can't survive Columbus surely he would survive Montreal ...

Cause love it or hate it, Matheson has a hell of a price tag for what he brings.

We need to find 2 more and with that 5th overall, it's probably just one more we need to find.

We have a tons of assets to make it happen, from prospects, picks to cap space and roster players.
Trading Matheson is just not the first option I would explore.....
Well for me Matheson is the perfect option because Matheson is not good defensively and we need to get better offensively. like you said Hutson and even Guhle can play on the PP .

Imagine a base for Necas or Zegras based on Matheson even if we add a late first or B prospect , id take the deal and run.

Sell high > Sell low.
Also Matheson contract is not alot for playoff teams

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

Trading Matheson is just not the first option I would explore.....they got Dach for Romanov, I'm sure there would be better options.

Trading Matheson should be on the table, but it would have to be a massive overpayment leading into this season.

Trade deadline, next summer? That’s when he should be fully on the table, pending the results of Hutson , Mailloux and Reinbacher’s development.

If it looks like they’re all going to hit, adios.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Two things on Laine:

1. I’m not sure he’d be interested in playing in Canada again. I remember there was a lot of talk about him wanting to move away from a Canadian market at the time of the Columbus trade. He also doesn’t strike me as a “big market” player, but who knows.

2. He has a 10-team NTC.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Love Matheson offensive side but he's not good on defensive side.If Canes want him for Necas you take this deal all day long .Hutson will take over for Matheson. Add Zegras and Senneke/Demidov and we are off to the races.
If he was as good on D as he was on O, he’d be getting $10M a season unicorn. We need what he brings because no one else can do what he does on this team and he’s the no. 1 D. There are also not a lot of 60 point D anyways so he and his cap would be worth more than I think most here think he’s fetch. He’s also not nearly as bad in D as some make him out to be. He’s not a shit down D but he’s also not that bad. He sacrifices some D to make those offensive opportunities which is the trade off. If MSL asked him to tone it down, he’d be a 40 point D with much better defensive numbers.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Demigod Gloves

Oct 1, 2017
Trading Matheson should be on the table, but it would have to be a massive overpayment leading into this season.

Trade deadline, next summer? That’s when he should be fully on the table, pending the results of Hutson , Mailloux and Reinbacher’s development.

If it looks like they’re all going to hit, adios.
Matheson's value is all time high, can he have a similar season next year? Yes it's possible, but why gamble on it if we can get the best return now. I love the guy and he's a great pro, but at the end of the day I think trading him makes us better in the long run.

If the reports that someone offered a 1st for Anderson last year and Hughes refused are true, I hope he learned from that mistake.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I wish we are in on Laine.

Another 6ft5 player with mega upside.

Instant star in Montreal.

The guys has been in dysfunctional Winnipeg and then very dysfunctional Columbus. He needs a stage.

The Montreal market would do to Laine what it did to Kovalev.

I sincerely hope we land him. Incredible fit on so many levels.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don't care about acquiring Laine but this whole 'If he's had mental health issues in Columbus, you can't bring him to Montreal' seems like a massive crock of shit to me if we don't even know what the issue is.

The point of getting help is to get better.
I 100% disagree with the bolded. Montreal is full of shitty tabloid journalists who won't respect Laine's mental health if there's a story to sell. It's not about him handling the pressure of hockey, its him handling the microscope of the market. Anyone who is struggling with mental health issues doesn't need that added element. And if I'm wrong, and it works out, fantastic. But for reasons bigger than hockey, I doubt Laine would be better off in MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad