HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
No its not at all, in fact he missed a lot of time the season before. The guy is damaged goods, he's on his last leg (literally), we have to move on from such players. We got assets back, great. Now let's build this team with younger, healthier players.

You mean "healthier younger players" like a 24yr old Monahan circa 2018?

Remember when Stamkos was "damaged goods" after his devastating injuries and slow recovery in his mid 20s?

Or Markov after he blew out his knee in his early 30's?

Sorry, but injuries in high performance sport don't operate the way you appear to think they do...

• Love
Reactions: Habs Icing and the

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I don’t want us to trade for a Zegras. We don’t need to. Those kinds of trades can be made down the road. I’d much rather see what we have. If Dach gets hurt again? Okay. But not now.
If we have the chance to add a dynamic 60 point winger to play on Dach's wing, I am seriously considering it. But, I put the caveat in there that it is not at the cost of any of our future core pieces. I'm not filling a whole only to create another. That's why I like the 26th, Beck and Harris package.

Zegras - Dach - Lindstrom ------ I like this very much

Reactions: themilosh

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Are there current rumors about teams calling the Habs asking about Matheson?

Nothing substantial no. Just speculation on my part and some of the media members.

Maybe no one's called, but personally if he's got some value, then I think it makes sense to move him and make some room for Guhle, Xhekaj, Hutson etc.

Reactions: sheed36

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Matheson should be trade for a top 15 pick so that we can add Sennecke, Catton, MBN or Helenius on top of our 5th pick. Could be in a 3way trade if needed

Reactions: themilosh

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I don’t want us to trade for a Zegras. We don’t need to. Those kinds of trades can be made down the road. I’d much rather see what we have. If Dach gets hurt again? Okay. But not now.
Hopefully they are buliding the team assuming Dach will never be healthy.

Reactions: bsl

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
If we have the chance to add a dynamic 60 point winger to play on Dach's wing, I am seriously considering it. But, I put the caveat in there that it is not at the cost of any of our future core pieces. I'm not filling a whole only to create another. That's why I like the 26th, Beck and Harris package.

I prefer we just put Roy there.

Let’s not acquire offensive help until we suffer injuries and are desperate and in a position of weakness, so our trade partners are sure to take us for a ride.

Nah. I prefer trading a dman now, from a position of strength.
Why would we be desperate?

We’re a rebuilding club who’s not expected to make the playoffs. Why wouldn’t we just use this year to see what we have?

I don’t see why we need to rush into ‘win it now’ type trades. That’s not how rebuilds work.

We’ve gone to the trouble of stacking a team with really good prospects. It makes absolutely no sense not to give them a chance to see what they can do. Moreover, we have Newhook who can easily step in on the 2nd line as a band aid. Beck is on the way. We’re drafting a top five forward…

We don’t need to go get a guy like Zegras at all.

Reactions: Garnet76 and the

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Matheson should be trade for a top 15 pick so that we can add Sennecke, Catton, MBN or Helenius on top of our 5th pick. Could be in a 3way trade if needed
If I'm trading Matheson, I need something now, something tangible to have in my lineup right now.

For some reason people don't rate Matheson.

But remove his name/team from the picture for a second and imagine you have a great skating, 25+ mins/game, 62pt Dman signed at a very affordable 4.8M for this year AND next.

You'd think he'd be going for a lot more than “just” a pick in the 10-15 range.

He's not a perfect Dman, probably plays way more than he should, but IMO, he's a much more valuable asset than most give him credit for .

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Definitely too many people scoffing at talent in favour of 'playoff warriors'. Not that I'm in favour of going out and getting whoever (I'm not really interested in Ehlers, and not enamored with Necas but wouldn't be upset), but if you have a shot at getting someone like Marner or Zegras (cost dependent, like any transaction), you do it. Either of them would/could be the most talented forward we've had for the last 30 frickin years.

You need to build a team with a mix of different skillsets, you can't just go out and only target proven 'playoff warriors'. Those types of players tend to either be extremely expensive to acquire, old, or flat out not available. You build your core first with a mix of different skillsets and then when you're close to contention you can sprinkle in some size and grit or whatever else you might be missing. See Tampa Bay, they built their core and then went out and acquired the size and grit they were missing in Goodrow, Coleman, McDonagh, etc.
To be fair, when you are talking about Marner, yes, he would be the most talented forward on this team in aaaaaaages. And you are 100% correct, in that not everyone needs to be a playoff warrior. As you say, a good balance.
With that said, we are talking about Marner here...we may not need everyone to be proven playoff warriors but...umm...unless we are overwhelmed with talent, we do need them to have a bit of fight in them and Marner has proven, again, and again, to be the exact opposite of a warrior.
Heck, cream puff Desharnais was a greater playoff warrior than Marner (not saying much but still), at the very least, he did try and play bigger than he was.
Sorry, out of the elite stars on the Leafs, he's the last one I would pick...and only if he comes cheaply (which, of course, he won't).
I would much rather have a soft perimeter, William Nylander than a Marner. At least he doesn't quit.

Reactions: JT3

JT3

May 27, 2013
To be fair, when you are talking about Marner, yes, he would be the most talented forward on this team in aaaaaaages. And you are 100% correct, in that not everyone needs to be a playoff warrior. As you say, a good balance.
With that said, we are talking about Marner here...we may not need everyone to be proven playoff warriors but...umm...unless we are overwhelmed with talent, we do need them to have a bit of fight in them and Marner has proven, again, and again, to be the exact opposite of a warrior.
Heck, cream puff Desharnais was a greater playoff warrior than Marner (not saying much but still), at the very least, he did try and play bigger than he was.
Sorry, out of the elite stars on the Leafs, he's the last one I would pick...and only if he comes cheaply (which, of course, he won't).
I would much rather have a soft perimeter, William Nylander than a Marner. At least he doesn't quit.
Can't really disagree with a lot of that. His playoff production isn't really all that bad 50pts in 57 games, but I know a lot of that does skew towards early in the series', and only 11 of those points are goals too which is a little worrying despite him obviously being a playmaker.

Situationally dependent, I would still consider him though. For example if we draft Lindstrom, or a defenseman, Marner could be a good finish to our top 6. If we end up with Demidov or say a Catton, I would probably look elsewhere. I know Marner has a history of avoiding the corners and shying away from contact, but that's kind of also just a Leafs core problem in general so it's a bit amplified. If he's on a wing with Dach and Lindstrom for example then I'm not sure it'd be much of a problem.

I know it's not a popular take, and 98% chance it would never happen anyways. Just throwing shit at the wall for discussion sake.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

I don't think that offer gets you Zegras. Some other team would top it.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Arpon Basu speculated Matheson would likely net Necas but HuGo wouldn’t go there
Again, acquiring Necas is one thing.
What we give up is another.
And what he is willing to sign for is yet another (thing to consider).

Simply put: Matheson for Necas (unsigned).. no thank you
Matheson for Necas (signed at 8Maav x 7) no thank you.

Matheson for Necas (signed at max $7M x7).. i would consider that to be fair.

Reactions: Benstheman

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
If I'm trading Matheson, I need something now, something tangible to have in my lineup right now.

For some reason people don't rate Matheson.

But remove his name/team from the picture for a second and imagine you have a great skating, 25+ mins/game, 62pt Dman signed at a very affordable 4.8M for this year AND next.

You'd think he'd be going for a lot more than “just” a pick in the 10-15 range.

He's not a perfect Dman, probably plays way more than he should, but IMO, he's a much more valuable asset than most give him credit for .
if Math is one of the odd men out to get a good young player. move him

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
Love Matheson offensive side but he's not good on defensive side.If Canes want him for Necas you take this deal all day long .Hutson will take over for Matheson. Add Zegras and Senneke/Demidov and we are off to the races.

Reactions: Scintillating10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad