HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Most teams are, including the Canadiens.
You don't know that, you are just projecting your own feelings to others.

And btw I'm not saying Lindstrom won't be a high pick, clearly he will which automatically means teams see him highly, the question is how highly. 2nd best forward highly? Or 3rd, 4th, 5th? That's the question.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You don't know that, you are just projecting your own feelings to others.

And btw I'm not saying Lindstrom won't be a high pick, clearly he will which automatically means teams see him highly, the question is how highly. 2nd best forward highly? Or 3rd, 4th, 5th? That's the question.

No I'm communicating information that has been coming out of the combine from those connected to scouts, executives, and teams.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Zegras, Marner, Ehlers???
Seriously guys, go watch some playoff hoc.key
But but but, Marner scores ~90 points in an 82 game 32 team league when the games don't matter and every fan acknowledges that teams are playing ~70-80%. Did you know he's a Selke candidate, which basically just means some bought and paid for tool of a 'journalist' cast a vote for him.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Friendly reminder that Rafael Harvey-Pinard was tried on the top-6 at times last season. Rafael f***ing Harvey-Pinard.

I don't think people here realize just how far off we are when they spit at the idea of acquiring guys like Necas, Marner ou Ehlers.

I guess we got accustomed so much to watching shit hockey as a fanbase that we lost touch with reality.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Not sure why this is a big deal, I’ve said repeatedly MSL & Zegras have a long relationship through Mid Fairfield youth hockey program. Zegras is a hockey addict, I see him at the rink all the time during the offseason (Twin Rinks in Stamford, CT), taking my sons to skills camps - everyone will tell you Zegras doesn’t drink, he doesn’t go out at nights to party, in fact like one Jagr, Zamboni guy will tell you he shows up after the final beer league games are done sometimes 1am just for ice time to practice - and Gary (his father) is the hockey ops VP for Mid Fairfield youth hockey program

Zegras also trains with long time MSL trainer, Ben Prentiss in the open dryland training area between the two rinks - in fact people flock during the offseason just to watch NHLers do off ice training.
Sounds like a troubled A-hole to me. :sarcasm:

Thanks for the post and great context.

Last edited:

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
We badly need a play driver, someone who can skate with the puck. We have a lot of players that want the puck off there stick shortly after they get it (Gallagher, RHP, Pez) or players that thrive on reviving it and shooting it shortly after. (Caufield, Newhook) Slaf falls between both but is good a possession as is Armia, but both usually don’t move a ton when they have the puck but rather protect it, which is great. But the only real puck carrying forwards we have are Suzuki, Dach and to a lesser and more inefficient extent Anderson

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Not sure why this is a big deal, I’ve said repeatedly MSL & Zegras have a long relationship through Mid Fairfield youth hockey program. Zegras is a hockey addict, I see him at the rink all the time during the offseason (Twin Rinks in Stamford, CT), taking my sons to skills camps - everyone will tell you Zegras doesn’t drink, he doesn’t go out at nights to party, in fact like one Jagr, Zamboni guy will tell you he shows up after the final beer league games are done sometimes 1am just for ice time to practice - and Gary (his father) is the hockey ops VP for Mid Fairfield youth hockey program

Zegras also trains with long time MSL trainer, Ben Prentiss in the open dryland training area between the two rinks - in fact people flock during the offseason just to watch NHLers do off ice training.
You need to apply to become an insider. Do you speak french? You can have a side hustle contradicting all the hysteria from the Montreal media

• Haha
Reactions: dinodebino

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Friendly reminder that Rafael Harvey-Pinard was tried on the top-6 at times last season. Rafael f***ing Harvey-Pinard.

I don't think people here realize just how far off we are when they spit at the idea of acquiring guys like Necas, Marner ou Ehlers.

I guess we got accustomed so much to watching shit hockey as a fanbase that we lost touch with reality.
Or people don't like half-mesures that are just improvement in the short term. Who cares who was in the line-up last season, what's important is what the line-up will be to contend.

Also, Marner is 100 pts player, don't know why you're lumping him in with Necas and, especially, Ehlers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Monahan proved he could play a whole season last year and is only 29 — where are people getting this “he’s too old” stuff? I’d like to see a 3-year deal max. If someone offers more, good for him, Habs say thanks and move on.

Exactly what I was just going to say. He's not old and we should be interested in him if the term was right.

Some fans are going to have to come to grips that it's very possible the Necas/Zegras trades are not in the cards due to trade price. The rebuild is important but having a guy like Monahan with this group is not hurting anything.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Exactly what I was just going to say. He's not old and we should be interested in him if the term was right.

Some fans are going to have to come to grips that it's very possible the Necas/Zegras trades are not in the cards due to trade price. The rebuild is important but having a guy like Monahan with this group is not hurting anything.
A great observation. Bringing Monahan back would be amazing

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Very true, but in all fairness, we have been given a tough time with injuries....key injuries that have impacted the team, and our view of this shit hockey.
That's not an excuse, but a reality. MB left zero depth, and when injuries hit we faded faster than the leafs in the 1st round.

We always seem to have kids playing out of position because of injuries.

Reactions: Tyson

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Very true, but in all fairness, we have been given a tough time with injuries....key injuries that have impacted the team, and our view of this shit hockey.
That's not an excuse, but a reality. MB left zero depth, and when injuries hit we faded faster than the leafs in the 1st round.

We always seem to have kids playing out of position because of injuries.

Even without injury, I don't think we're in a scenario where this team is in such a state that it can lift its nose on guys like Marner because "He's not a playoff warrior". And I don't think we were a Dach injury away from playoffs contention neither.

Dach has not even scratched 40 points in a season yet.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

If you're Sean Monahan...you're a free agent after a strong season where you proved you could stay healthy and be productive.

The cap is rising.

Are you interested in signing a short term deal considering the injury issues you've had? Even more so with a team that's not going to win a Cup, never mind potentially even make the playoffs during the length of your contract?>

You're right, Monahan with this group won't hurt anything, but that's not exactly an endorsement either. At this stage, the team should be looking to add players who will help progress this team, not, "not hurt them". They've got a bunch of those on the team already.

Last edited:

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Or people don't like half-mesures that are just improvement in the short term. Who cares who was in the line-up last season, what's important is what the line-up will be to contend.

Also, Marner is 100 pts player, don't know why you're lumping him in with Necas and, especially, Ehlers.

Because some people here are suggesting that neither of those three guys would do any good for this team, which is ridiculous.

We have a 2nd line center who has yet to scratch 40 points in a season, and a pseudo 40 goals scorer that has yet to pot 30 in a season. Wrap your mind around this for a second and tell me we're in such a state that we should lift our nose on a guy who just turned 25 years old and already has a 71 points season under his belt.

I think a lot of people here are drinking a lot of koolaid.

And for the record, I'm not even saying we should trade for Ehlers. I don't think he fits the core of this team. Both in terms of durability which is already a major concern and in terms of age/UFA eligibility.

But to say "We OnLy ShOuLd AcQuIRe PlAyOffS PeRfOrMeRs" is incredibly dumb.

As if the guys in the current team were actually even proven playoffs performers. Most of them have yet to even get a sniff at the playoffs ffs.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If you're Sean Monahan...you're a free agent after a strong season where you proved you could stay healthy and be productive.

The cap is rising.

Are you interested in signing a short term deal considering the injury issues you've had?

You're right, Monahan with this group won't hurt anything, but that's not exactly an endorsement either. At this stage, the team should be looking to add players who will help progress this team, not, "not hurt them". They've got a bunch of those on the team already.
Exactly. There shouldn’t be much interest from either party. Habs shouldn’t give a multiple year contract to an oft-injured veteran simply because he played here already.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The cap is rising.

Are you interested in signing a short term deal considering the injury issues you've had?

If you're a cup contender, you are not looking to make a 4+ year or $5M+ AAV contract with Monahan's injury history. Works two ways (Team and player). Even though Monahan played a full season finally, there are still injury issues attached to him.

Depends on what Monahan is after. I know several teams will knock on the door but I bet you most offers are 3 years and around $4M-$5M range.

If Monahan gets the 4+ and $5M+ contract, let him. Habs can't do that. If he is open to returning at 3 years for lets say $4.5M, Habs shouldn't say no. I think some of you are making excuses not to bring him back when you don't really know what kind of contract other teams will offer him. Lets purposely guess that he is going to get paid and therefore, don't even call him. He's too old, he wants to much, etc. That's the narrative I am seeing.

His next contract is not that easy to predict. More difficult than most UFA's IMO.

Last edited:

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Because some people here are suggesting that neither of those three guys would do any good for this team, which is ridiculous.

We have a 2nd line center who has yet to scratch 40 points in a season, and a pseudo 40 goals scorer that has yet to pot 30 in a season. Wrap your mind around this for a second and tell me we're in such a state that we should lift our nose on a guy who just turned 25 years old and already has a 71 points season under his belt.

And for the record, I'm not even saying we should trade for Ehlers. I don't think he fits the core of this team. Both in terms of durability which is already a major concern and in terms of age/UFA eligibility.

As if the guys in the current team were actually even proven playoffs performers. Most of them have yet to even get a sniff at the playoffs ffs.
No one is actually suggesting that. Can you think of any weaker of a strawman to fight?

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
No one is actually suggesting that. Can you think of any weaker of a strawman to fight?

Sure looks like someone who wouldn't want to entertain the idea of getting either one of those players. And he's not the only one mind you, you're among the guys who liked this post.

Speaking of strawman, really clever of you to mention that Marner scores most of his goals in games that don't matter to completely disregard the fact that Caufield didn't even get to the 20 goals mark before the Canadiens were virtually eliminated from playoffs contention.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Yup, It seems like we want to consider bringing in any RFA or player with trade rumors attached to them. I guess we didn't see the Dach and Newhook trades so fans are trying to guess ahead of time.
Zegras I am interested in but we would need to add another power forward as well. Zegras and Caufield in our top 6 is a little on the risky side of things. And yes, that is playoff style hockey. We are trying to build a playoff team, not a regular season champion.

Marner is not waiving for the Habs. Don't waste time talking about it.

Bet you we make a smaller move. Kakko

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Sure looks like someone who wouldn't want to entertain the idea of getting either one of those players. And he's not the only one mind you, you're among the guys who liked this post.

Speaking of strawman, really clever of you to mention that Marner scores most of his goals in games that don't matter to completely disregard the fact that Caufield didn't even get to the 20 goals mark before the Canadiens were virtually eliminated from playoffs contention.
That guy didn't say they wouldn't do any good for the team, just made mention of playoff performance. Keep typing paragraphs fighting those strawmen though, I'm sure you'll win eventually.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Marner is not waiving to go to Montreal. Also not signing as a UFA. We can forget about that. Marner talk to the Habs is cheap and a waste of time.... regardless of if we think it's a good or bad move.

Ehlers is kind of like Laine. 1 or 2 years left. Cost to acquire will be high and player can walk. This would be a long term vision problem if Hughes makes this move. Unless he is able to extend Ehlers (sign/trade) but that is not possible until after July 1st.

Zegras and Necas trade demands are too high. They fit our core age build-up though. Would they turn the needle for us? Not sure about that. How much did Newhook turn the needle this past season?

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Marner is not waiving to go to Montreal. Also not signing as a UFA. We can forget about that. Marner talk to the Habs is cheap and a waste of time.... regardless of if we think it's a good or bad move.

Ehlers is kind of like Laine. 1 or 2 years left. Cost to acquire will be high and player can walk. This would be a long term vision problem if Hughes makes this move. Unless he is able to extend Ehlers (sign/trade) but that is not possible until after July 1st.

Zegras and Necas trade demands are too high. They fit our core age build-up though. Would they turn the needle for us? Not sure about that. How much did Newhook turn the needle this past season?

I'm not saying Marner is even realistically getting traded to Montreal. I'm saying that at some point something's got to give.

- A lot of people here are allergic to the very idea of trading a young D not named Struble/Harris/Barron
- A lot of people are allergic to the very idea of getting a player who's not known to be a "clutch, playoffs performer".

I don't think it's a realistic way to look at the current situation, and I sure hope this management will make hard decisions at some point in the near future. Or else we'll be stuck in a perpetual state of mediocrity.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010

Acquiring "better" players just for the hell of it is not a good way to build a team, that's what Bergevin did for years.

You're also leaving out of the discussion what the cost would be to acquire those players. That cost is, in the vast majority of the cases, the reason why some of us are not enthused at the idea of acquiring those players just so that the team can be in a wildcard spot the new few years. Nobody is saying no to a free Necas or Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad