HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Sorry, but that is a dumb argument. You are not going through rebuild to be PO participant. You need to build strong core which will be ready to compete in PO once they get there. No Toronto
Toronto thought they had a strong core. Everybody thought that. It’s hard to argue they didn’t build a super strong core.

They’re just cursed.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Not sure why this is a big deal, I’ve said repeatedly MSL & Zegras have a long relationship through Mid Fairfield youth hockey program. Zegras is a hockey addict, I see him at the rink all the time during the offseason (Twin Rinks in Stamford, CT), taking my sons to skills camps - everyone will tell you Zegras doesn’t drink, he doesn’t go out at nights to party, in fact like one Jagr, Zamboni guy will tell you he shows up after the final beer league games are done sometimes 1am just for ice time to practice - and Gary (his father) is the hockey ops VP for Mid Fairfield youth hockey program

Zegras also trains with long time MSL trainer, Ben Prentiss in the open dryland training area between the two rinks - in fact people flock during the offseason just to watch NHLers do off ice training.

That's probably the most interesting information to come out of the offseason so far. Had no idea he was that comitted and that Marty knows him well. This makes me open to trading for him, depending on the price of course.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Toronto thought they had a strong core. Everybody thought that. It’s hard to argue they didn’t build a super strong core.

They’re just cursed.

I think they lacked organisational leadership.

We also had this major, major flaws with MB at our helm.

Obviously we corrected it in a major way. I think Toronto is in a better spot now and i think they nailed it with Berube. He is a mega chad papi and will command respect. It remains to be seen.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
The more I look at it the more I think Xhekaj might be traded this summer.

We just have wayyy too many Ds, and I think the organization thinks him and Struble kind of fill the same chair.

Not that I would trade him if I were in charge. But I suspect it is a distinct possibility.

If that's the case, I'd rather Struble give up that seat and we move him instead.

Although we'd get more value from Xhekaj in a trade, I just don't want to move him. He offers more to this team than Struble, and I like Jayden. The D's I'm trying to move this offseason (if I'm Hughes) are Harris and Kovacevic. I'd want to give Barron a little more runway, he has too good of a toolbox not to be more patient.

D's need time.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I think they lacked organisational leadership.

We also had this major, major flaws with MB at our helm.

Obviously we corrected it in a major way. I think Toronto is in a better spot now and i think they nailed it with Berube. He is a mega chad papi and will command respect. It remains to be seen.
Toronto should've sacked Keefe a long time ago but the organization is so political there are no standards for sporting success. Sometimes you need less professionalism and more sporting spirit.

Hughes works in a more normal sporting structure and gives off jock vibes big time, he just channels it into business rather than athletics. And even so, if the same bozo assistant coaches remain in place after next season (when wins will start to matter) I'll start to criticise his lack of standards too.

Reactions: Jaynki

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Sorry, but that is a dumb argument. You are not going through rebuild to be PO participant. You need to build strong core which will be ready to compete in PO once they get there. No Toronto

This is a dumb assumption.

Not every team that make it to the Finals or that win it all has a team filled with playoffs warriors. You need guys to get you through the season first.

And "playoffs performers" is not a black-and-white concept.

I hate Marner with a passion. But acting as if you would not take him in a heartbeat because "He'S nOt A PlAyOfFs GuY" is just stupid.

If that's the case, I'd rather Struble give up that seat and we move him instead.

Although we'd get more value from Xhekaj in a trade, I just don't want to move him. He offers more to this team than Struble, and I like Jayden. The D's I'm trying to move this offseason (if I'm Hughes) are Harris and Kovacevic. I'd want to give Barron a little more runway, he has too good of a toolbox not to be more patient.

D's need time.

At some point, if we want to get a coveted piece, we're going to have to give up a coveted player.

Struble, Harris and Barron are not getting you anything of value.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022

They’re just cursed.
4 forwards, one of them on decline and 1 defenseman is not a good core for me.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
This is a dumb assumption.

Not every team that make it to the Finals or that win it all has a team filled with playoffs warriors. You need guys to get you through the season first.

And "playoffs performers" is not a black-and-white concept.

I hate Marner with a passion. But acting as if you would not take him in a heartbeat because "He'S nOt A PlAyOfFs GuY" is just stupid.
We already have CC and Hutson are more skill than PO warriors. You can add that secondary scoring at TDL like FLD with Tarasenko or LAK did back then with Gaborik.
And you definitely do not want to allocate huge chunk of your salary cap to such player.
I would take Marner at half salary for sure.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
The way to go is definately trading Matheson while is value is at it's highest. Unless management sees him as a player they would extend until his retirement, which i don't see at all, it's time to trade him this summer if a good offer comes by.

I think we can get a piece that will help us in the long term for him.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
What’s all the talk about Necas. From what I read he is soff. Habs have more than enough of that. Can we for once get a tough mean SoB?

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
What’s all the talk about Necas. From what I read he is soff. Habs have more than enough of that. Can we for once get a tough mean SoB?
Who is considered a star player by the Hurricanes? It's subjective and unique to them, but when it comes to the Montreal Canadiens, it points to a player like Mike Matheson, who would certainly help the Hurricanes a lot.

They have several free agents on defense. » - Arpon Basu

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
His frame is great, he's just not a tight-system player. He'd struggle under Therrien for instance. He goes into the dirty areas plenty enough. We can't just think powerforwards are the way to go top to bottom. For every good powerforward you get a handful of powerdonkeys. You need players who *can* take hits but will make the play fast enough they don't *need* to take hits.

Who is considered a star player by the Hurricanes? It's subjective and unique to them, but when it comes to the Montreal Canadiens, it points to a player like Mike Matheson, who would certainly help the Hurricanes a lot.

They have several free agents on defense. » - Arpon Basu
Aho is a star player.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
That's probably the most interesting information to come out of the offseason so far. Had no idea he was that comitted and that Marty knows him well. This makes me open to trading for him, depending on the price of course.
The problem is that I don't think Anaheim and Montreal are particularly good trade partners. I'm sure Anaheim would be super interested in Reinbacher, but how often do teams trade high picks they just drafted? So Guhle for Zegras would have to be the trade, but Anaheim has a bunch of promising LDs already. Maybe they could make it work idk.

Here's a crazy idea, would you trade both Reinbacher and Guhle to Anaheim for 3rd overall and Zegras? Then, assuming Chicago takes Levshunov, draft Demidov with #3 pick and a defenseman of your choosing with #5 pick (Dickinson? Buium?). Would be quite something.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The problem is that I don't think Anaheim and Montreal are particularly good trade partners. I'm sure Anaheim would be super interested in Reinbacher, but how often do teams trade high picks they just drafted? So Guhle for Zegras would have to be the trade, but Anaheim has a bunch of promising LDs already. Maybe they could make it work idk.

Here's a crazy idea, would you trade both Reinbacher and Guhle to Anaheim for 3rd overall and Zegras? Then, assuming Chicago takes Levshunov, draft Demidov with #3 pick and a defenseman of your choosing with #5 pick (Dickinson? Buium?). Would be quite something.

Yeah I'd be wondering who performed a lobotomy of Gorton and Hughes.

The only thing that Montreal and Anaheim would be good for is a pick swap to ensure the Habs get Lindstrom instead of CBJ.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think these days team roll with 3 lines that all can score with a 4th line that is a bit more energy. There is no shame on having a top 9 that looks like this:
Caufield, Suzuki, Slaf
Armia, Dach, Roy
Ehlers, Newhook, Anderson

Is it a top 9 that bring us close to a playoff spot, not sure I mean we had what 1 game with both Newhook and Dach healthy and very few with Newhook and Roy. To me this moves the needle in the direction of the playoff. Replace Armia with Ehlers if you prefer having him in your top 6 or if Ehlers is too expensive to get for just 1 year, go after Kakko! I would prefer that over paying a very steep price for Necas, Zegras or Perfetti

Ehlers-Newhook-Anderson would be the 2nd line. At least. Not that those line combinations would be the basis they should proceed on.

Ehlers is one of the most productive ES players in the NHL. I'm talking top-20, Jack Hughes/Kaprisov productive. No Hab has come close for a while. There are reasons he hasn't been consistently a 1st line player in Winnpeg, but Any coach that would play Armia, Roy or Dach ahead of him for a sustained period of time probably deserves to be fired.

Reactions: bsl

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
His frame is great, he's just not a tight-system player. He'd struggle under Therrien for instance. He goes into the dirty areas plenty enough. We can't just think powerforwards are the way to go top to bottom. For every good powerforward you get a handful of powerdonkeys. You need players who *can* take hits but will make the play fast enough they don't *need* to take hits.

Aho is a star player.
YOu can never have too many power donkeys.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Overpaid strong core =/ same as weak core because it destroys your depth potential.
The COVID flat cap wrecked them and irreversably derailed their trajectory. Add to it the horrible curse and also bad leadership etc. It's unfortunate but every Habs fan who thinks we have a player half as good as Marner is kidding themself. And then there's Nylander and Matthews.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
The way to go is definately trading Matheson while is value is at it's highest. Unless management sees him as a player they would extend until his retirement, which i don't see at all, it's time to trade him this summer if a good offer comes by.

I think we can get a piece that will help us in the long term for him.
Matheson and his -60 will surely fetch a core piece that will help us THROUGH the playoffs. :D

• Haha
Reactions: ReHabs

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The COVID flat cap wrecked them and irreversably derailed their trajectory. Add to it the horrible curse and also bad leadership etc. It's unfortunate but every Habs fan who thinks we have a player half as good as Marner is kidding themself. And then there's Nylander and Matthews.

Flat cap or not, Tavares at 11 was the issue.

We should learn from that. You don't bring overpriced UFA when they are 28 to babysit a good young core. You bring 2-3 veterans at 3-4 mils on shorter deals. Then fill your big hole when that young core is ready to win (not before).

Reactions: McPhees Moustache

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

I would never do that.

Guhle, Reinbacher and Hutson are our fondation for the next decade. They complement each other really well. Hutson will be the anchor for our PP and Guhle-Reinbacher our go to pair on PK1 and in critical 5 vs 5 moments.

Don't think we can ask much more of a top 3 D to be honest and wouldn't touch that until we see them grow together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad