HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Laine still seems like an obvious target
Would love a crack at him on the Habs
Within reason

I don't care about acquiring Laine but this whole 'If he's had mental health issues in Columbus, you can't bring him to Montreal' seems like a massive crock of shit to me if we don't even know what the issue is.

The point of getting help is to get better.
So true

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Now that Laine is confirmed to want out of CBJ, we can expect an overwhelming amount of discussion on him here.

I for one, would take him. But, the price point, based on his cap hit, would have to be some cap going back and it isn't much based on known issues for Laine.

I'd send them Anderson back with Harris and the Avs 2nd.

Sounds like Ryder, Halak and 2nd but oh well.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Now that Laine is confirmed to want out of CBJ, we can expect an overwhelming amount of discussion on him here.

I for one, would take him. But, the price point, based on his cap hit, would have to be some cap going back and it isn't much based on known issues for Laine.

I'd send them Anderson back with Harris and the Avs 2nd.

Sounds like Ryder, Halak and 2nd but oh well.
His term, age and size make his an intriguing option. The price has to be right though.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I 100% disagree with the bolded. Montreal is full of shitty tabloid journalists who won't respect Laine's mental health if there's a story to sell. It's not about him handling the pressure of hockey, its him handling the microscope of the market. Anyone who is struggling with mental health issues doesn't need that added element. And if I'm wrong, and it works out, fantastic. But for reasons bigger than hockey, I doubt Laine would be better off in MTL

I get where you're coming from but that still doesn't address the point that Laine's mental health issues could have nothing to do with that. For all we know, his personality would be to not give a shit.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Me seeing Laine had requested a trade
73e020f56c4a86221823bc32113b4316d2-25-ben-affleck-sad-smoke.2x.w710.jpg

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
You mean "healthier younger players" like a 24yr old Monahan circa 2018?

Remember when Stamkos was "damaged goods" after his devastating injuries and slow recovery in his mid 20s?

Or Markov after he blew out his knee in his early 30's?

Sorry, but injuries in high performance sport don't operate the way you appear to think they do...

Oh looks like I'm going to get reeducated by someone who thinks Monahan is our future while trying to make bad strawman arguments about others players we were not talking about. Ok, if you have to.

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
Would have to be the right deal salary retained or going back but I would be willing to give Laine a go. I think we have a much different locker room then either Winnipeg and Columbus and he could potentially thrive under Marty St Louis. For the right price it's worth a shot. I'm sure they will look into it and see if there's a fit.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I was for Laine before but I'm not sure they will go for him since he'd only be under contract for 2 more years. They probably want someone with more years of team control if they are trading 26.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Laine can't survive Columbus surely he would survive Montreal ...

Well for me Matheson is the perfect option because Matheson is not good defensively and we need to get better offensively. like you said Hutson and even Guhle can play on the PP .

Imagine a base for Necas or Zegras based on Matheson even if we add a late first or B prospect , id take the deal and run.

Sell high > Sell low.
Also Matheson contract is not alot for playoff teams

Not sure a Necas at $8M is more useful than a Matheson at $4.8M
Take out a 60pts D to replace him by a 60pts F...not sure how much more offensive it would bring.

But if you're adding a 60pts F and keep your 60pts D.....I just think it's better.
Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj, Struble, Harris....I don't see any of them taking Matheson minutes for at least another year if not 2. Guhle can't do it with a rookie by his side.

And I'm not against trading Matheson, but something else must happens first. But I would be more incline to go after some guys with great potential like K. Johnson or Hotlz for a lesser price.

Trading Matheson should be on the table, but it would have to be a massive overpayment leading into this season.

Trade deadline, next summer? That’s when he should be fully on the table, pending the results of Hutson , Mailloux and Reinbacher’s development.

If it looks like they’re all going to hit, adios.

That's the only reason to keep Matheson, unless he's replace of course. We still need some time to bring up those rookies and see where we go from here and start making decision.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Not sure a Necas at $8M is more useful than a Matheson at $4.8M
Take out a 60pts D to replace him by a 60pts F...not sure how much more offensive it would bring.

But if you're adding a 60pts F and keep your 60pts D.....I just think it's better.
Guhle, Hutson, Xhekaj, Struble, Harris....I don't see any of them taking Matheson minutes for at least another year if not 2. Guhle can't do it with a rookie by his side.

And I'm not against trading Matheson, but something else must happens first. But I would be more incline to go after some guys with great potential like K. Johnson or Hotlz for a lesser price.

That's the only reason to keep Matheson, unless he's replace of course. We still need some time to bring up those rookies and see where we go from here and start making decision.
Necas is not getting 8m here.
Also Matheson won't get 60 points each years , record high in his 30s. Meh his value is higher than ever.

Reactions: bsl

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Oh looks like I'm going to get reeducated by someone who thinks Monahan is our future while trying to make bad strawman arguments about others players we were not talking about. Ok, if you have to.
:cry:

I don't think you understand what "strawman" means.

That, or you were trying to be ironic :dunno:

Either way, bad take is a bad take. Injuries aren't what you appear to think they are, simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad