HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I'm not desperate for Zegras. I wanted PLD (and Fiala) and any forward who is available and would improve the top6... at the right or fair price.

It has nothing to do with patience and everything to do with the fact we have a lot of D and at some point one or some of them has to be moved for an upgrade at F.
You are impatient. And I don’t mean it disrespectfully. You were complaining about the rebuilding last year. I get it. You want to compete. Grabbing any shiny new toy you can get your hand on for a high price compromises what we’ve done the last 3 years.

Reactions: the

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
You are impatient. And I don’t mean it disrespectfully. You were complaining about the rebuilding last year. I get it. You want to compete. Grabbing any shiny new toy you can get your hand on for a high price compromises what we’ve done the last 3 years.
Well I've said repeatedly that the price has to work. No one cried at the PLD trade because it was not a price we could've paid.

If we disargee on the price threshold that's fine, it is a discussion board, but I don't see how it's me being impatient to say that Zegras-Guhle is a fair trade. We have a lot of D and too few Fs, Hughes has said as much! There *will* be asset movement. I prefer Necas anyway.

As for 'shiny new toy syndrome', I think most Habs fans are miserly and afraid of competing so they hide behind 'patience'. We had patience-talk from Gainey to today every year, every year of Bergevin was patience-talk. Patience is fine, we have limitless supplies of it in Montreal.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Well I've said repeatedly that the price has to work. No one cried at the PLD trade because it was not a price we could've paid.

If we disargee on the price threshold that's fine, it is a discussion board, but I don't see how it's me being impatient to say that Zegras-Guhle is a fair trade. We have a lot of D and too few Fs, Hughes has said as much! There *will* be asset movement. I prefer Necas anyway.

As for 'shiny new toy syndrome', I think most Habs fans are miserly and afraid of competing so they hide behind 'patience'. We had patience-talk from Gainey to today every year, every year of Bergevin was patience-talk. Patience is fine, we have limitless supplies of it in Montreal.
Gainey and Bergevin were not patient at any point. Both built their teams with the mindset that the team had to make the playoffs. Even during what we considered the dark years of the late 90’s/early 2000’s, there was never a rebuild. The team they built just sucked. This is the first rebuild we’ve actually hired personal with the intent of properly rebuilding a team. It has nothing to do with being afraid to compete. It’s about not getting jittery and trying to speed things up prematurely. When you start talking about players like Guhle/Reinbacher as a potential part of any package, we better be getting back something better back then Zegras.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Gainey and Bergevin were not patient at any point. Both built their teams with the mindset that the team had to make the playoffs. Even during what we considered the dark years of the late 90’s/early 2000’s, there was never a rebuild. The team they built just sucked. This is the first rebuild we’ve actually hired personal with the intent of properly rebuilding a team. It has nothing to do with being afraid to compete. It’s about not getting jittery and trying to speed things up prematurely. When you start talking about players like Guhle/Reinbacher as a potential part of any package, we better be getting back something better back then Zegras.
How much do you figure Guhle is worth?

Do you expect Keller+ in exchanged for Guhle?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I like Guhle and from a position perspective, I'm on board with not trading him for Zegras but the idea that he'd be worth more on the market than him, I don't know, I'm not sure I see it. What would Guhle then be worth?

Doesn't that mean HuGo are 'impatient' as well considering they tried to acquire PLD and only pivoted to Newhook when it became certain he'd go to LA?

By all means, I'm not saying the Canadiens should acquire Zegras but this whole 'don't acquire top-6 players because we're rebuilding' is a ridiculous position IMO. I don't think any team in the NHL actually thinks that way. It's purely an HF mindset.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
How much do you figure Guhle is worth?

Do you expect Keller+ in exchanged for Guhle?
Go big or go home. We’d obviously have to add on top of Guhle for someone like Keller, but those are the only type of deals I’m trading Guhle for right now. Trying to win lateral trades is something Bergevin did. And he was successful with them for the most part outside of Drouin/Sergachev. But they rarely made the team any better because they never moved the needle enough to actually impact the team and make us better.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I like Guhle and from a position perspective, I'm on board with not trading him for Zegras but the idea that he'd be worth more on the market than him, I don't know, I'm not sure I see it. What would Guhle then be worth?

Doesn't that mean HuGo are 'impatient' as well considering they tried to acquire PLD and only pivoted to Newhook when it became certain he'd go to LA?

By all means, I'm not saying the Canadiens should acquire Zegras but this whole 'don't acquire top-6 players because we're rebuilding' is a ridiculous position IMO. I don't think any team in the NHL actually thinks that way. It's purely an HF mindset.
I think not acquiring Dubois showed the opposite of impatience. For all the noise the media and fans were making about him, it never sounded like there was a big bidding war between us and LA. It was going to happen under our terms or it wasn’t going to happen at all which is what happened. If they’re interested in Zegras, I think it will be much of the same. I like to hope they aren’t going to cave into unrealistic trade demands from Anaheim and if they do work out a trade that makes sense, Hughes I’m sure will have done his due diligence as a former agent that the player isn’t asking for an unrealistic extension like Dubois was.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
There's no way I'd trade Matheson for 10th overall. That's a killer for the Habs D.
I would. His value will never be higher than it is now.
Montreal drafts Parekh at 5OA and then takes one of Iginla, Sennecke,Catton, Helenius, Eiserman or Brandsegg-Nygard at 10OA.
It also frees up another 4.9 million and makes the Jeff Petry trade tree off the charts good.

Reactions: HabzSauce

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The ask isn’t reasonable. Everybody knows Anaheim is in a contract dilemma with Zegras. On top he’s coming off a poor season. They want a team to lose their mind like Blake did in LA last year with Dubois. For the love of god I hope it’s not Hughes. If we’re giving up blue chip prospects in any trade, it better be for a player that actually moves the needle for us unlike Zegras. We made this mistake with Gomez and Drouin in the past giving up great defensive prospects for these 60-70 point potential guys. There’s too much risk.
Guy was injured, and the 2 prior years he hit 20 goals and 60 points, so he has value as a 2nd line player, for sure.. So I don't see asking for Guhle or Reinbacher as unreasonable; but I'm not doing it and am sure Hughes won't either because both those young D have top pair possibilities and Guhle is a developing no.2 D man right now in my view.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Montreal drafts Parekh at 5OA and then takes one of Iginla, Sennecke,Catton, Helenius, Eiserman or Brandsegg-Nygard at 10OA.
It also frees up another 4.9 million and makes the Jeff Petry trade tree off the charts good.

Who replaced Matheson? HuGo have distinctly said that they're trying to take a concrete step forward this season, not backwards. Just seems like bad value for a guy who's pretty much irreplaceable at this point and that would certainly piss off guys like Suzuki and Caufield.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
I don’t understand why we even considering getting Zegras. Half of our top 6 players are playmakers (Suzuki,Dach,Slafs) our only sniper is Caufield and then whoever complete the top 6 is not a natural sniper (Newhook, Roy, Anderson, Gally, etc.)… That’s the reason why I would like to pick Iggy or Eiserman, but to get back into the subject, I would like for is to acquire Patrick Laine, the price might be less expensive than others.

Reactions: Yoor

Jul 6, 2016
I don’t understand why we even considering getting Zegras. Half of our top 6 players are playmakers (Suzuki,Dach,Slafs) our only sniper is Caufield and then whoever complete the top 6 is not a natural sniper (Newhook, Roy, Anderson, Gally, etc.)… That’s the reason why I would like to pick Iggy or Eiserman, but to get back into the subject, I would like for is to acquire Patrick Laine, the price might be less expensive than others.
Laine has mental health problems as well as physical problems. DO NOT TOUCH !

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Would you guys do

BUFF : Skinner + #11
for
MTL : Joel Armia
Hell yes... Obvious no-brainer for us. The cap offset this year is a non-issue (we can absorb 6M easily & Skinner upgrades the top 6).

Next two years are a bit tougher, but with our ELC dmen, low cap hits on Dach/Newhook, Price off the books in year 3, it's manageable.

I don't think there's any chance Buffalo would.

Where’s the “eww” emoji?
For Buffalo?

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
What is this dichotomy between sniper and playmaker?

We should acquire Zegras, or not, for a thousand reason but none of them is because we have too much playmaker or vice versa.

Good players will score points. Real life is not EA games.

Reactions: Miller Time

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
No,

They need him for now and if he does go it should be for a player to play and help now. Not a guy who MIGHT be ready in 2-4 years.....

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Hell yes... Obvious no-brainer for us. The cap offset this year is a non-issue (we can absorb 6M easily & Skinner upgrades the top 6).

Next two years are a bit tougher, but with our ELC dmen, low cap hits on Dach/Newhook, Price off the books in year 3, it's manageable.

I don't think there's any chance Buffalo would.

For Buffalo?
Eating $27M worth of cap over 3 years for a washed up, undersized player to get the 11th pick does not appeal to me in the least.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Eating $27M worth of cap over 3 years for a washed up, undersized player to get the 11th pick does not appeal to me in the least.
Weird. Obviously I disagree entirely. In the asset management game, it's a no brainer from the pov of improving our roster both short and long term.

May not appeal to you now, but it might in 3 years time when a Sennecke/Iginla/Catton takes his place when he's off the books?

Not too mention when he pots 30+ riding shotgun to Dach.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Weird. Obviously I disagree entirely. In the asset management game, it's a no brainer from the pov of improving our roster both short and long term.

Not too mention when he pots 30+ riding shotgun to Dach.
Luckily it doesn’t matter as Hughes will never make this deal anyways so guess it’s moot. No GM is eating that contract and handicapping themselves for 3 years for an 11th OA especially when there is zero assurance the guy you pick will amount to anything.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Luckily it doesn’t matter as Hughes will never make this deal anyways so guess it’s moot. No GM is eating that contract and handicapping themselves for 3 years for an 11th OA especially when there is zero assurance the guy you pick will amount to anything.

Meh. Past precedent contradicts your take.

KH took Monahan's 6M$ for a 1st that was far less likely to be 11OA at the time of the deal... Monahan's deal was only 1 year vs 3, but he was also a 4th line/healthy scratch player with doubt about being able to fully recover.

Skinner is much better than Monahan was at the time, and the 11OA a much surer asset.

Agree that there's little reason to debate, but only because no GM would be foolish enough to give up that kind of asset to offload a player still contributing at top 6 level... Especially in a big cap increase year lol

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Meh. Past precedent contradicts your take.

KH took Monahan's 6M$ for a 1st that was far less likely to be 11OA at the time of the deal... Monahan's deal was only 1 year vs 3, but he was also a 4th line/healthy scratch player with doubt about being able to fully recover.

Skinner is much better than Monahan was at the time, and the 11OA a much surer asset.

Agree that there's little reason to debate, but only because no GM would be foolish enough to give up that kind of asset to offload a player still contributing at top 6 level... Especially in a big cap increase year lol
Monny was $6m for one year. Far cry from $27M over 3.

All good. Let’s move on.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Nick Kypreos said the Habs have no chance to aquire Necras cause of what happened with KK. What does this have anything to do with anything? Even if say KK said bad things about the Habs, it's not even the same people in charge anymore. And I doubt like KK did not like the fans or the city.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Nick Kypreos said the Habs have no chance to aquire Necras cause of what happened with KK. What does this have anything to do with anything? Even if say KK said bad things about the Habs, it's not even the same people in charge anymore. And I doubt like KK did not like the fans or the city.
I don't think KH goes anywhere near what they want anyhow....looks like they will sign him and move on from their ufa Geuntzal after all is said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad