HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Nick Kypreos said the Habs have no chance to aquire Necras cause of what happened with KK. What does this have anything to do with anything? Even if say KK said bad things about the Habs, it's not even the same people in charge anymore. And I doubt like KK did not like the fans or the city.
Well you saw what Dundon did with the signing bonus. He seems like a very very petty man. Not that I really want Necas anyway.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I like Guhle and from a position perspective, I'm on board with not trading him for Zegras but the idea that he'd be worth more on the market than him, I don't know, I'm not sure I see it. What would Guhle then be worth?

Doesn't that mean HuGo are 'impatient' as well considering they tried to acquire PLD and only pivoted to Newhook when it became certain he'd go to LA?

By all means, I'm not saying the Canadiens should acquire Zegras but this whole 'don't acquire top-6 players because we're rebuilding' is a ridiculous position IMO. I don't think any team in the NHL actually thinks that way. It's purely an HF mindset.
If you want to trade Ghule (why him and why Reinbacher?), I want more the kind of player like Byfield for example. Zegras has talent and young. And he's on the trading rumours since a year. Why they want to trade him? That doesn't ring a bell? That doesn't look like a red flag?

Zegras, no thanks. Unless they take Harris and Dvorak.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Nick Kypreos said the Habs have no chance to aquire Necras cause of what happened with KK. What does this have anything to do with anything? Even if say KK said bad things about the Habs, it's not even the same people in charge anymore. And I doubt like KK did not like the fans or the city.
Some repeated references to bad blood between the two owners.

I infer that Dundon was insulted by Molson’s Habs implying he was too cash-poor to pay a signing bonus. It wasn’t the Canes that were cash-poor but the Habs were mindless and got played by Aho’s agent like a fiddle. It was worth a try but not at those paltry numbers.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
David Ettedgui, the ex-player agent, explained this past week that the issue was not between Waddell and Bergevin, but between Dundumb and Geoff. There is apparently unresolved animosity that would make a deal with the Habs unlikely.

Hopefully, Ettedgui is wrong but he still has contacts around the league. Never a good idea to have one less trading partner or two, in the Habs case, since there were reports last year that the Drury-Gorton feud is on-going.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Meh. Past precedent contradicts your take.

KH took Monahan's 6M$ for a 1st that was far less likely to be 11OA at the time of the deal... Monahan's deal was only 1 year vs 3, but he was also a 4th line/healthy scratch player with doubt about being able to fully recover.

Skinner is much better than Monahan was at the time, and the 11OA a much surer asset.

Agree that there's little reason to debate, but only because no GM would be foolish enough to give up that kind of asset to offload a player still contributing at top 6 level... Especially in a big cap increase year lol
Taking on Skinner for the 11th overall would’ve made sense a couple of years ago as we knew we were going to have 2-3 dead years ahead of us. They probably still do the Monahan trade if it were presented today because he only had one year left. Three years is too much to take on tho. That would have Skinner on the books when we’re projecting to compete either next season or the year after so it doesn’t make a ton of sense.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If you want to trade Ghule (why him and why Reinbacher?), I want nore the kind of player like Byfield for example. Zegras has talent and young. And he' on the trading rumours since a year. Why they want to trade him? That doesn't ring a bell? That doesn't look like a red flag?

Zegras, no thanks. Unless they take Harris and Dvorak.
For an organization that dealt young Dmen who became key Defenders for teams that made the finals in McDonaugh and Serg for Gomez and Drouin, this seems like repeating the same thing going for a skilled smaller F and giving up a young defender in the process.

Do not see the love affair with Zegras. He'd be like Kessel on the Pens, very nice piece to have if you can fit him in, but if cap becomes tight, you'd let him go. If Suzuki and Caulfield are ahead of him and likely Slaf down the line, not sure I'd trade Dmen who can be top 4 guys for a Winger that would be 4th most important F on the roster.

I'd build the D as none of the young Dmen have established themselves yet. Figure out who can play and you need a top 3/4 group.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I'm terrible at proposal so you guys tell me what it cost to get Rutger McGroarty out of Winnipeg. I think he could be available and Winnipeg in need for D next year.

With the season he had in the NCAA, he should have turned pro this season like Nazar and Brindley. Of course, reporting to Winnipeg is probably not as fun as...well, any of the other 31 teams. Think he will refuse to sign in Winnpeg and wait to turn UFA

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
David Ettedgui, the ex-player agent, explained this past week that the issue was not between Waddell and Bergevin, but between Dundumb and Geoff. There is apparently unresolved animosity that would make a deal with the Habs unlikely.

Hopefully, Ettedgui is wrong but he still has contacts around the league. Never a good idea to have one less trading partner or two, in the Habs case, since there were reports last year that the Drury-Gorton feud is on-going.

Damn these guys are acting like children.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Some repeated references to bad blood between the two owners.

I infer that Dundon was insulted by Molson’s Habs implying he was too cash-poor to pay a signing bonus. It wasn’t the Canes that were cash-poor but the Habs were mindless and got played by Aho’s agent like a fiddle. It was worth a try but not at those paltry numbers.

It always felt like the Habs confused Dundon by the previous Canes owner who was always in money trouble. lol

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
For an organization that dealt young Dmen who became key Defenders for teams that made the finals in McDonaugh and Serg for Gomez and Drouin, this seems like repeating the same thing going for a skilled smaller F and giving up a young defender in the process.

Do not see the love affair with Zegras. He'd be like Kessel on the Pens, very nice piece to have if you can fit him in, but if cap becomes tight, you'd let him go. If Suzuki and Caulfield are ahead of him and likely Slaf down the line, not sure I'd trade Dmen who can be top 4 guys for a Winger that would be 4th most important F on the roster.

I'd build the D as none of the young Dmen have established themselves yet. Figure out who can play and you need a top 3/4 group.

Trading Guhle or another young D man for Zegras has all the hallmarks of a McDonagh/Gomez and Sergachev/Drouin to it, like you said.

We’d 100% regret it.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Trading Guhle or another young D man for Zegras has all the hallmarks of a McDonagh/Gomez and Sergachev/Drouin to it, like you said.

We’d 100% regret it.
Don’t worry. Won’t happen with HuGo.

Guhle, Reinbacher and Hutson are going nowhere.

On the other hand, I can see a world where Xhekaj or Mailloux can be traded in a package for a top 6 player.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'm terrible at proposal so you guys tell me what it cost to get Rutger McGroarty out of Winnipeg. I think he could be available and Winnipeg in need for D next year.

With the season he had in the NCAA, he should have turned pro this season like Nazar and Brindley. Of course, reporting to Winnipeg is probably not as fun as...well, any of the other 31 teams. Think he will refuse to sign in Winnpeg and wait to turn UFA
Logan Mailloux

They need a RD

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Personally, I would go after Peyton Krebs.

Would cost almost nothing (Harris? Struble? and a late round pick?) and he would solidify our young leadership group.

Great third line player.

Newhook - Beck - Krebs?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

On the other hand, I can see a world where Xhekaj or Mailloux can be traded in a package for a top 6 player.
I'm not sure they are going anywhere. Xhekaj is an unique category of player you want to keep. They made fun on a podcast, it sounded like: you want Xhekaj, you give me McDavid? Lol, Just to open the discussions. Same with Mailloux. He have a good blend of many positive points in his game. He'll improve year per year. Unless you can't refuse the offer, he stays too.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Xhekaj is probably untouchable at the moment. Mailloux is the only possibility and they probably won't move him yet. Harris, Barron and Kovacevic would be more likely.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017

Because of the abundance of LD in the organisation and his bad luck on injuries I would be more incline to trade Guhle than Mailloux. Plus he is worth more on the market meaning we can go big fish hunting

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Xhekaj is probably untouchable at the moment. Mailloux is the only possibility and they probably won't move him yet. Harris, Barron and Kovacevic would be more likely.
I really like Xhekaj but he shouldn't be untouchable. Two shoulder surgeries in two years and his value may never be higher than right now, depending on how he bounces back.

The bottom line is that there's a logjam on D and you have to give to get. We can't realistically trade Justin Barron for Cole Perfetti, it's not a thing. There's two ways you can go - let it fester and have people earn spots (which never works out because realistically vets get way longer leashes than the young guys) or try to get ahead of it and play Nostradamus.. predict which guys will be mainstays and which may not live up to their potential. Tough spot to be in IMO.

LePenseur

Nov 5, 2016
I would like to propose the non-trade option ( at least not for now).
Do nothing, sign both Sean monahan (1y/ 7-8m$) Tyler Toffoli (1y/ 6m$).

They like the place, you trade them both to contenders at deadline collecting at least a first and second . We did the trick once, it works, let's do it again!

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Hughes has shown himself to be a good GM so far, he's managing things well and he has a clear vision. I think we'll see some very good turnover in the bottom six this summer, even if its just shipping out bad contracts with sweetners, and replacing them with question marks. It will be refreshing and I think with the reasonable expectations for the top line, I think we'll see some new combinations that will fit MSL's coaching style better.

Many posters were frustrated with things like man on man coverage, but I think the habs are building a team to fit a style they want to play, and because they don't care about making the playoffs for the sake of it, they can slowly remove those who don't fit and replace them with guys who do. This is how we rebuild the culture in Montreal, where the players make each other better and help the next generation.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

They like the place, you trade them both to contenders at deadline collecting at least a first and second . We did the trick once, it works, let's do it again!
Habs can only retain 1 salary this season , for a player like Armia Dvorak.
Let's not bring back the past who put us in the bottom tier of the league who probably both want an anchor contract due to their age

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Mid-Westerners in general like playing at / close to home, and they seem to like the proximity Winterpeg provides to home. Jets year-over-year lineup has minimum 30% Mid-Westerners on its roster, it’s been their strategy since returning to the Peg

McGroarty’s a Nebraska boy….I don’t see him being dealt

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

It's more of a possibility than what some fans think. Cost us nothing but unused cap space and we can look into trades at a later date. Wait for a better situation

Habs can only retain 1 salary this season , for a player like Armia Dvorak.
Let's not bring back the past who put us in the bottom tier of the league who probably both want an anchor contract due to their age

If they want anchor contract, don't do it. If they are OK with short term and fair AAV, do it. Cost us nothing but unused cap space and we don't have to trade every pending UFA... especially if the plan is to get closer to the playoffs this coming season. Toffoli and Monahan fit and Roy would still get a top 9 role. We would have to unload Armia and Dvorak which should not be that difficult.

Signing Toffoli and/or Monahan would buy us time to develop the guy we take in this next draft and also a possible future trade to bring in top 6 talent.

Toffoli / Suzuki / Slaf
Newhook / Dach / Caufield
Roy / Monahan / Anderson
RHP / Evans / Gallagher

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Why would veteran players sign 1 year contracts? Both of those guys have proven enough to get multiple years from a good team. It’s just wishful thinking.

Plus I’d rather just move on. There is no need to get older and slower.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why would veteran players sign 1 year contracts? Both of those guys have proven enough to get multiple years from a good team. It’s just wishful thinking.

Plus I’d rather just move on. There is no need to get older and slower.
I’d make an exception for Monahan who is only 29. He’d make a great middle 6 C option and could spell Dach when needed. Plus, he seemed to love it here and judging by Suzuki’s reaction when he was traded to the Peg, Habs players really appreciated having him on board.

Not at any price or term, but worth a shot.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’d make an exception for Monahan who is only 29. He’d make a great middle 6 C option and could spell Dach when needed. Plus, he seemed to love it here and judging by Suzuki’s reaction when he was traded to the Peg, Habs players really appreciated having him on board.

Not at any price or term, but worth a shot.
I don’t know, I find he was quite mediocre at even strength. A lot of his value was because he was force fed minutes on our top PP. With the emergence of Slafkovsky and the return of Dach, I’m hopeful that he doesn’t get those minutes. Yet he’ll likely demand the contract of someone that just got 60 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad