HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For one, I dont think Carolina is looking for furure and I also think other team can offer better value.

I dont see a trade between MTL and CAR for Necas, not by lack of interest just because the fit is not there.

Depends a lot on the others things the Canes are trying to do. Signing Guentzel is one of them. If they are able to re-sign Guentzel before July 1st, it's possible they are open to futures for Necas to help their cap strategy moving forward.

I thought Friedman said on 32-Thoughts Necas is looking for longterm deal at $7M+, and wanting to play C & 1st PP

I'll see if I can find it but his agent has recently talked $8M x8

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's a lot to reply too bud.

Dach vs Necas. I didn't say Dach had a more proven record. I actually said Necas did so not sure what you are trying to say other than what I said... but you disagreed. lol. :huh:
You wrote that the potential for Dach to hit new heights at the time of his acquisition was higher than it is with Necas today.

That's the issue with Necas though. Is he on the verge of hitting new heights or is it what you see is what you get? With Dach, he was dealing with injuries and a badly managed Hawks team. Potential for Dach to hit new heights was higher than Necas today.
I disagree and explained why.

So not sure what you're saying here lol.
Cost to acquire Necas will be higher. Sligthly higher than Dach. What I said was Dach had more room to grow and it's possible Necas is who he is after showing his growth over the last 2 or 3 seasons.
ok??
Because he comes with Necas and the trade value package is lowered with KK in it. That has clearly been stated. You asked why and there is your answer. Both GM's are gone for both teams and Ducharme is not our coach anymore. I bet you Brindamour goes Ducharme level on Caufield as well (if he had him) ;)

Funny how things spin. Necas with KK added to lower his value and then fans go all nuts with just talking about KK.
I get what you're trying to say...I just don't get what incentive the Canes would have to diminish the value of a very valuable asset, for the sake of trading a much less valuable asset.

You don't fix a mistake by doubling down on it.

To buy him out and save Carolina the financial penalty.
Still would be an odd move...you've got a super desirable asset (which Necas is/will be), it's not like Kotkaniemi has a super huge cap hit.

Seems like an extreme solution to fix something that isn't even prohibitive for them.

I think this is more Habs fans wishful thinking because we always want to acquire players at a discount.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Depends a lot on the others things the Canes are trying to do. Signing Guentzel is one of them. If they are able to re-sign Guentzel before July 1st, it's possible they are open to futures for Necas to help their cap strategy moving forward.

I'll see if I can find it but his agent has recently talked $8M x8

By all accounts, looking at what Car fans are expecting in return thus far... futures are not very high on the list, and I would then to agree that given that this team will want to fight its way back into a cup contention next season again, even if they sign Guentzel, they still have holes in their lineup and Necas is the obvious trading chip to plug one or two of these.

Lots of chatter here on Necas, but to me, MTL getting him is even more remote then getting PLD last summer.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
By all accounts, looking at what Car fans are expecting in return thus far... futures are not very high on the list, and I would then to agree that given that this team will want to fight its way back into a cup contention next season again, even if they sign Guentzel, they still have holes in their lineup and Necas is the obvious trading chip to plug one or two of these.

Lots of chatter here on Necas, but to me, MTL getting him is even more remote then getting PLD last summer.

I tend to agree but I do like chit chatting about options. I think Gorton/Hughes knocks on a lot of doors but the doors we see (Necas, Zegras, etc) might not even be their prime targets.

With the Dach and Newhook trades, it was circumstantial buy low trades. I don't see that situation with Necas and Zegras.

Reactions: Kosseca

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Difference being that this time, the Habs actually would want to acquire PLD.

The links with PLD and the Habs were mostly fueled by the media, fans and his agent.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Canes aren't going to add anything to trade KK. His buyout will be for 12 years which sucks for them but only at 800k.

Poor Dundon's wallet. First he has to cough up the bonus money up front for Aho and then potentially $10M over 12 years for KK (if they buy him out). At least this is spread out.

Brindamour has to get paid and then he tells Waddell to walk.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I tend to agree but I do like chit chatting about options. I think Gorton/Hughes knocks on a lot of doors but the doors we see (Necas, Zegras, etc) might not even be their prime targets.

With the Dach and Newhook trades, it was circumstantial buy low trades. I don't see that situation with Necas and Zegras.

Well this is the off season, so not much happening with MTL and it's getting close to "prime time" trading season, so no harm in looking at options ;)

That said, and I fully agree with you, Necas and Zegras options are not the same as Dach and Newhook. Given this, my take is that there are more of a fit with Ana and Zegras then Car and Necas for MTL in terms of potential trade. I would however also say that I would personnally prefer they explore other option then these 2, something a bit cheaper but with some potential. Kent Jonhson or Perfetti (I got a feeling he may be the one this year).

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The links with PLD and the Habs were mostly fueled by the media, fans and his agent.

The link between PLD and the Habs was real. The problem is we didn't want to pay the trade price the Jets were asking for and the Kings paid it. Our message from most of us (regardless of the traffic talk), was we are interested but not desperate. Many of us said this.

Two teams now blocked Dubois to the Habs. Jets offering Laine when he asked out of Columbus and the Kings paying the futures price to the Jets when Dubois told them he was not staying after his contract was over. Both teams regretted it.

The other angle is Hughes probably told Dubois agent that we are not signing him for $8M+ and for this reason, he took the extension with the Kings. Of course he wanted to play for the Habs but he also wanted to cash in at the same time.

Reactions: ReHabs

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020

You are 100% right. Which make last years odd of getting PLD small.... and I think that this year odds of getting Necas are even smaller!

Reactions: 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well this is the off season, so not much happening with MTL and it's getting close to "prime time" trading season, so no harm in looking at options ;)

That said, and I fully agree with you, Necas and Zegras options are not the same as Dach and Newhook. Given this, my take is that there are more of a fit with Ana and Zegras then Car and Necas for MTL in terms of potential trade. I would however also say that I would personnally prefer they explore other option then these 2, something a bit cheaper but with some potential. Kent Jonhson or Perfetti (I got a feeling he may be the one this year).

I get the feeling Gorton/Hughes are just going to wait for a team to give up on a player. We would like to add a top 6 talent to this core (now and at the draft) but I really don't think they are desperate to do so. They will wait it out and maybe there is a in season trade

Reactions: 417 and Kosseca

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I get the feeling Gorton/Hughes are just going to wait for a team to give up on a player. We would like to add a top 6 talent to this core (now and at the draft) but I really don't think they are desperate to do so. They will wait it out and maybe there is a in season trade
one way or the other, this is entertaining. And unlike a few seasons ago when you knew nothing was gona happen, now you can keep pressing F5 hoping for something to surprise you.

It will be interesting to see how the NHL keep being relevant until next Saturday... so maybe a trade or two?? :P

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The link between PLD and the Habs was real. The problem is we didn't want to pay the trade price the Jets were asking for and the Kings paid it. Our message from most of us (regardless of the traffic talk), was we are interested but not desperate. Many of us said this.
I don't know about that, listening to the Basu & Godin podcast, the former was pretty adamant that there was never interest there. This wasn't a speculative point, he flat out said it.

Basu is never that categoric so I tend to believe him here.

And just using my own logic it makes sense because I always thought the Habs were going to pay a “Quebec tax” to acquire him and sign him a deal that other teams wouldn't have too.
Two teams now blocked Dubois to the Habs. Jets offering Laine when he asked out of Columbus and the Kings paying the futures price to the Jets when Dubois told them he was not staying after his contract was over. Both teams regretted it.

The other angle is Hughes probably told Dubois agent that we are not signing him for $8M+ and for this reason, he took the extension with the Kings. Of course he wanted to play for the Habs but he also wanted to cash in at the same time.
His contractual demands and the Jets demands in terms of the assets the Habs would need to give up made that speculative trade just that IMO, speculation.

They made their interest to play in Montreal too public, it made no sense for the Habs to play that game and I was and am glad they didn't.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not fair to Martin Necas to compare him to player as under-proven as Kirby Dach.

It's also not fair for me when you don't comprehend the statement well and then you try to spin off this comparable narrative.

Necas is trending well and is not a buy low type trade. He's age 25 today

Dach was not trending that well with his injuries and it was a buy low trade. He was age 21 at the time of the trade I believe.

The growth narrative I was talking about was Dach had more room to grow with his buy low trade value and age vs where Necas is today. I question how much more growth Necas has at age 25 today. I think he made his gains from age 23-25 where that exact same age range is where I think Dach will grow.

Last edited:

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
I don't know about that, listening to the Basu & Godin podcast, the former was pretty adamant that there was never interest there. This wasn't a speculative point, he flat out said it.

Basu is never that categoric so I tend to believe him here.

And just using my own logic it makes sense because I always thought the Habs were going to pay a “Quebec tax” to acquire him and sign him a deal that other teams wouldn't have too.

His contractual demands and the Jets demands in terms of the assets the Habs would need to give up made that speculative trade just that IMO, speculation.

They made their interest to play in Montreal too public, it made no sense for the Habs to play that game and I was and am glad they didn't.

It's not the first time (and it won't be the last) that a player uses MTL as leverage for a bigger pay day. PLD could have forced his way out to MTL like Alex DeBrincat did with Detroit. He didn't.​

Reactions: 417

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Does that winger produce 70+ pts per season? Does that center provide under 40 pts per season? If you say yes to both, I would take the 70+pts player who happen to produce as well in the playoffs.

I know that it's hard to project what will happen in the future with both Beck and Necas but right now we know that Necas can produce as the NHL level while Beck is unknown, it would be a really hard trade to make as I really like Beck but Necas would probably be MTL 2nd best forward at this moment.
That winger is a is not a 70 point player, he had one outlier year and the rest are around 40 points average. Big price tag at 7M+ for 40 points. As to the playoffs he does nothing special,, hovers at around the same half point a game as the regular season. He is not a must have in the next 2 years, so if it is signing a large ticket player long-term, personally I would aim higher when the time is right, instead of settling for the usual mediocrity we have become used to in Montreal.

Seeing what we have in Beck is a low risk move, that could pay dividends down the road when you want to acquire that winger, more money to spend if you don't need to pay a 3rd line center like Dvo.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That winger is a is not a 70 point player, he had one outlier year and the rest are around 40 points average. Big price tag at 7M+ for 40 points. As to the playoffs he does nothing special,, hovers at around the same half point a game as the regular season. He is not a must have in the next 2 years, so if it is signing a large ticket player long-term, personally I would aim higher when the time is right, instead of settling for the usual mediocrity we have become used to in Montreal.

Seeing what we have in Beck is a low risk move, that could pay dividends down the road when you want to acquire that winger, more money to spend if you don't need to pay a 3rd line center like Dvo.

Necas's career numbers so far is 0.67 pts/game. Over the last few seasons, it's 0.71 pts/game. This is on a contender with a fair amount of skill and Necas's speed game fits their strategy from their coach.

Who knows what Necas does on an new roster with a new coach and a new system. He's certainly not leading a line on his own. I like the player but my interest is low when I look at the cost the Canes will have. This is not some sure shot top 6F asset IMO.

Cost to acquire and cost of contract is risky IMO. You better have a good handle on what this player provides for your team

Reactions: HABitual Fan

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007

Even if there was interest, Montreal was a poor trade partner for Winnipeg who wanted to keep competing, Montreal could only offer futures in a deal which was of no interest to them. No NHL talent to offer up, just cap dumps.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

Last 4 seasons 41 pts(53 games on pace for 63) 40pts -71pts-53pts = average of 57 pts. IMO he's going to flirt with 60+ point for the next 5-6 years, I hope KH is on the phone at the moment with Carolina to get him ASAP.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Last 4 seasons 41 pts(53 games on pace for 63) 40pts -71pts-53pts = average of 57 pts. IMO he's going to flirt with 60+ point for the next 5-6 years, I hope KH is on the phone at the moment with Carolina to get him ASAP.
Unless he becomes more than the 60 point player you suggest, when Montreal is ready to compete, he is a 3rd line player at 7+M, as they will require much better producers and all round players in the top 6. I would not be interested in him unless Carolina is desperate to unload him, which they will not be by all indications.

• Wow
Reactions: DiglettDangles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad