HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Canucks fans want him back but not at 4 million per season and some of them suggest he was a product of Garland and talked about his high shooting percentage this season and that he will come back to earth, most of them are speculating that a team will overpay and price him out of Vancouver. Maybe the Blackhawks might go for him to surround Badard with more size and talent.

Reactions: Runner77

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Canucks fans want him back but not at 4 million per season and some of them suggest he was a product of Garland and talked about his high shooting percentage this season and that he will come back to earth, most of them are speculating that a team will overpay and price him out of Vancouver. Maybe the Blackhawks might go for him to surround Badard with more size and talent.
If I'm a decent UFA looking to get paid, I'm definitely looking at Chicago as a destination. They've got a ton of money to spend and they're going to be looking to add. They're prime candidates for a dumb contract or two.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Looking for ways to free up $ to extend Stamkos
Do you guys think they might trade away Erik Cernak and would we be interested? TBL is desperately missing depth and they only have couple years left. Cernak is 27, signed for 7x5,2M, 6'4 RHD, basically upgrade to Savard, Cup pedigree, great warrior and a close friend of Slaf.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If I'm a decent UFA looking to get paid, I'm definitely looking at Chicago as a destination. They've got a ton of money to spend and they're going to be looking to add. They're prime candidates for a dumb contract or two.
They need to surround Bedard with more than just Foligno. I watched an interview where former NHL great Adam Oates mentioned that Foligno fought 13 times as a response to hits against Bedard. Oates suggested that Bedard made some bad decisions and left himself open to contact that a seasoned NHL player would not.

It is common for young players in the league to go through this because of how quickly NHLers can take away time and space. We saw this many times with Slafkovsky, it was at the point where I was concerned every time he went into a corner because as we all saw, he was getting rocked too often.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Do you guys think they might trade away Erik Cernak and would we be interested? TBL is desperately missing depth and they only have couple years left. Cernak is 27, signed for 7x5,2M, 6'4 RHD, basically upgrade to Savard, Cup pedigree, great warrior and a close friend of Slaf.
I think he has a history of concussions though. I'd be interested too if it wasn't for that.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
With Gorton in Montreal and his past in NY is there a possibility that the Habs make a trade offer for Kaapo Kakko? He needs a fresh start elsewhere and could he be a possible acquisition? I don't know much about his game but his NHL results have been underwhelming. I remember watching him in the World Juniors and he looked like a player that might be a goal scorer in the NHL. Is his skating holding him back or is it a lack of talent?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Doubt it, Brisebois said at end of season presser, his #1 priority is to upgrade top-4D - which they now have done w McDonagh acquisition and Cernak is an integral part of that top-4

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
It is that dumb if they have cap space to spare though?

Utah will have over 40M in cap space and now have an owner willing to spend.
Lebrun said that they are prepared to overpay players on short term deals to give their young players time to develop properly.

I think it's a good strategy and Habs should do the same, if they can't add by trade.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
With Gorton in Montreal and his past in NY is there a possibility that the Habs make a trade offer for Kaapo Kakko? He needs a fresh start elsewhere and could he be a possible acquisition? I don't know much about his game but his NHL results have been underwhelming. I remember watching him in the World Juniors and he looked like a player that might be a goal scorer in the NHL. Is his skating holding him back or is it a lack of talent?
There no love lost between Gorton and MSG. Also, after watching Kakko in these playoffs, I wouldn’t want him either. He was super soft and trash. Couldn’t have been less impressed by him and I was hoping/wanting to see him succeed as a possible target. He never did and showed he’s a busy imo. 99 better options and a Kakko ain’t one.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Doubt it, Brisebois said at end of season presser, his #1 priority is to upgrade top-4D - which they now have done w McDonagh acquisition and Cernak is an integral part of that top-4
They have 18 players signed and just 5M left of salary cap, still trying to re-sign Stamkos. They definitely need to give up someone.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
It is that dumb if they have cap space to spare though?

Utah will have over 40M in cap space and now have an owner willing to spend.
Lebrun said that they are prepared to overpay players on short term deals to give their young players time to develop properly.

I think it's a good strategy and Habs should do the same, if they can't add by trade.
The Habs are still stuck with the abonimable contracts of Armia, Anderson, Gallagher and Dvorak. These 4 guys eat up 20 mil. alone. This year's UFAs are quite good. Imagine signing Stamkos @8 mil, Reinhart @ 9 mil., Marchessault @ 6 mil., Toffoli @ 6 mil. and Monahan @ 3 mil. what difference that would make in your lineup. Even bringing in Perron @ 4 mil. As long as the Habs are incapable of moving their dead weight until July 1st, then it's impossible to do much. You also have guys on expiring contracts like Pez, Kova, Evans and Savard. So the Habs will have more flexibility next year, but the UFA market will not be as good. Even then, Price, Gallagher and Anderson will still be around for another 2 - 3 yrs. Meanwhile, BargainBin is laughing in LA.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The Habs are still stuck with the abonimable contracts of Armia, Anderson, Gallagher and Dvorak.
Armia and Dvorak are on the last year of their deals.
These 4 guys eat up 20 mil. alone. This year's UFAs are quite good. Imagine signing Stamkos @8 mil, Reinhart @ 9 mil., Marchessault @ 6 mil., Toffoli @ 6 mil. and Monahan @ 3 mil. what difference that would make in your lineup. Even bringing in Perron @ 4 mil.
These numbers, except for Toffoli, seem very low.
As long as the Habs are incapable of moving their dead weight until July 1st, then it's impossible to do much. You also have guys on expiring contracts like Pez, Kova, Evans and Savard. So the Habs will have more flexibility next year, but the UFA market will not be as good. Even then, Price, Gallagher and Anderson will still be around for another 2 - 3 yrs. Meanwhile, BargainBin is laughing in LA.
I don't think the free agent market is intended to build your team anymore, its to complement it.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
They have 18 players signed and just 5M left of salary cap, still trying to re-sign Stamkos. They definitely need to give up someone.
I would think Cirelli is a good candidate to leave. He has no trade protection. Cernak has a 16 team NTC.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Armia and Dvorak are on the last year of their deals.

These numbers, except for Toffoli, seem very low.

I don't think the free agent market is intended to build your team anymore, its to complement it.
With most of these free agents past their prime, my numbers given seem within range except for Reinhart who will likely get the max 8 yr deal around 72 mil total. Most teams are to the cap, anyways, and you won't see big surprises. Again because of Dvo & Armia, the Habs don't have much flexibility. These two take around 8 mil on the cap and teams have no interest to acquire any of these 2. They will be trade deadline bait for some contender who will be looking for depth and for a very late pick + Habs retaining, it will be a discount.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I think you have to keep an eye out for teams willing to just dump salary as well. I believe Burns and Max Pac were traded for next to nothing. These are a couple of examples. The Habs might be able to get a decent player just for taking their salary.

Reactions: DAChampion

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
With most of these free agents past their prime, my numbers given seem within range except for Reinhart who will likely get the max 8 yr deal around 72 mil total. Most teams are to the cap, anyways, and you won't see big surprises. Again because of Dvo & Armia, the Habs don't have much flexibility. These two take around 8 mil on the cap and teams have no interest to acquire any of these 2. They will be trade deadline bait for some contender who will be looking for depth and for a very late pick + Habs retaining, it will be a discount.
What if scenarios can quickly turn into BS, but would it be realistic to believe that Armia has woken up in the second half last season to such an extent that it’s very likely to carry over into his final contract year?

If he plays at the same level as the 2nd half, his remaining contract year would not be viewed as a burden but as a positive contributor and some suitor may bite this summer rather than at the TDL. Maybe Hughes can parlay that into a more immediate return.

And if not, we get to find out if last season’s 2nd half was a fluke. Although, if he does want a shot at another long term deal, he has more than enough incentive to get the job done this season.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think you have to keep an eye out for teams willing to just dump salary as well. I believe Burns and Max Pac were traded for next to nothing. These are a couple of examples. The Habs might be able to get a decent player just for taking their salary.
How could you neglect to include Sean Monahan as an example !?

The Habs got two 1st round draft picks for taking him on :)

Imagine if Hughes had instead signed Nazeem Kadri to an expensive long term contract.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Not his skating, I think it's confidence around finishing that's holding him back.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
What if scenarios can quickly turn into BS, but would it be realistic to believe that Armia has woken up in the second half last season to such an extent that it’s very likely to carry over into his final contract year?

If he plays at the same level as the 2nd half, his remaining contract year would not be viewed as a burden but as a positive contributor and some suitor may bite this summer rather than at the TDL. Maybe Hughes can parlay that into a more immediate return.

And if not, we get to find out if last season’s 2nd half was a fluke. Although, if he does want a shot at another long term deal, he has more than enough incentive to get the job done this season.
I’ve been debating this as well and I was thinking about opening a thread. I think Armia’s contract is no longer a negative. I’m sure if we wanted to get rid of that contract right now we could find some suitor’s. We won’t receive anything worthwhile but I think we could shed his salary without giving anything.

However, I’m intrigued to see how he would plays next season. He is on a contract year and he was very effective in the 2nd half of the season. Him and Newhook complemented each other very well and dare I say Armia looked like the driving force of that line at times. I think he would remain motivated and build on the momentum he had from this past season.

I never thought I would write this but I’m now more inclined on gambling by keeping “Yo-Elle” one more year and see if we can pump his value more before TDL.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I’ve been debating this as well and I was thinking about opening a thread. I think Armia’s contract is no longer a negative. I’m sure if we wanted to get rid of that contract right now we could find some suitor’s. We won’t receive anything worthwhile but I think we could shed his salary without giving anything.

However, I’m intrigued to see how he would plays next season. He is on a contract year and he was very effective in the 2nd half of the season. Him and Newhook complemented each other very well and dare I say Armia looked like the driving force of that line at times. I think he would remain motivated and build on the momentum he had from this past season.

I never thought I would write this but I’m now more inclined on gambling by keeping “Yo-Elle” one more year and see if we can pump his value more before TDL.

I can't see the point of pumping up Joel Armia 's trade value. The Habs don't need another second round pick. They need to win games and develop their youth corps. Whatever happens with the Armia 's trade value should be seen as a bonus, and should not be weighed in the evaluation of his use.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

Again, if you can get 3rd for Armia at the trade deadline, that's good asset management in my books.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I can't see the point of pumping up Joel Armia 's trade value. The Habs don't need another second round pick. They need to win games and develop their youth corps. Whatever happens with the Armia 's trade value should be seen as a bonus, and should not be weighed in the evaluation of his use.
That's why we see now that the panic moves of the BargainBin era are bitting the Habs in the a**. Armia, Anderson, Gallagher and Dvo are expensive dead weight hindering the Habs chances at chasing a big name UFA. Stamkos, Guentzel, Marchessault and Reinhart are still unsigned.

Reactions: DAChampion

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

At this point, it's time to move on. The Jets gave him as a freebie so the Habs can buyout a contract of theirs. He took on some minutes as a plug while with the Habs and BargainBin rewarded him because of loyalty. He was a serviceable 3rd liner that didn't live up to the hype. If they can trade him for a 3rd or 4th this summer, so they can open up a spot for a youngster, that's worthwhile. Next, it should be Dvo, Gallagher and Anderson. 2 more seasons of Price on LTIR and the mistakes of the BargainBin will be all but forgotten. Pezz, Kova, Evans and Savard are the ones who will give it their all to get another contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad