HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How much is "way more"? 10 million? Because if you think an extra 70 point season warrants him to be among the top 12 forwards in the league then oof.
I don't determine the market value of players.

Jack Eichel has one 80pt season and 1 78pt season and makes 10M a year.

Jonathan Huberdeau makes 10.5M a year and he's not even a career PPG player.

So I never talked about Necas being a top 12 forward in the league, but 8M would certainly be the floor if he had more than one 70pt season and not the ceiling like it is now.
Don't see why this even matters. Second line players aren't exactly hard to acquire and most of them don't make 8 million or more.
You don't see where the market is going do you? You do understand that under the current system, salaries are meant to rise and NOT stay static right?

For the millionth time, they've got superstar players and we don't have any. Why only compare it to those teams? Why not a team like the Flames/Kings? You don't think their awful contracts are hurting them?
There's a lot more than just bad contracts hurting them. Well moreso the Flames...the Kings finished in the same exact place they did the year prior when they DIDN'T have PL Dubois' contract lol
Nah it doesn't, it proves how you're disregarding context like how the Oilers have the two best players in the world. If we get that, then sure overpaying some players which was my point. Not sure why this would invalidate EVERYTHING I wrote.
The Pezzetta analogy was a weird one...certainly you can find a better way to make an argument.
This goes for you too. Use teams that don't have star talents like the Habs, not conference finalists who've got star forwards/dmen/goalies. Why aren't you talking about the teams that don't have the star talents? Why aren't you talking about the teams like Calgary or LA?
But I DID use real examples lol just because I didn't use the one's you wanted me too doesn't invalidate what I said. What I said is referenced right before your eyes in the Stanley Cup Playoffs as we speak.

What you referenced wouldn't even exist in a book of fiction.
And I said by having star talents on ELC will offset that yes. We don't have that. So no, I most definitely didn't prove your point because it's very very flawed and not comparable whatsoever. Again, people have said the same thing about PLD last year. Habs need talent so let's pay a flawed player who won't be a top liner whatever. You should ask LA how that's working out for them.
And you wouldn't have said that about Wyatt Johnston at this point last year either.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Neither am I...that's why I said i'd have no problem paying Necas 8M/yr.
Was this the same with PLD last year? Would you want to "sign up" to be in that scenario too?
That's not paying someone "handsomely", as I stated, AF OF TODAY, that's a salary cap hit that places him 70th amongst players in the NHL.

Let's look at other players in the same salary range

- Jack Hughes
- Logan Couture
- Ryan Johnasen
- Josh Norris
- JT Miller
- Tomas Hertl
Handsomely for what he is. If you're example here is that JT Miller makes 8 million so it's okay for Necas to make the same, I'd respectfully ask if you even know how to determine if a player is good or not. Miller is like twice the player Necas is.
I'm not sure why you're acting like 8M is some insane number to pay a 2nd line player...with the cap rising, this is going to be the cost.
I'm not saying all hell will break loose if we do that, but it's not ideal for a player of his caliber and we should already be weary of red flags in his game.
It's like some folks got stuck in what the cap was 5 years ago and can never get out of it.

In 2 years the cap is going to be at 92M...8M is going to be bargain rate for a 2nd line player.
When I see 2nd liners in today's game making around 5-6, I'm going based off of that. When/if the cap goes to that point and most other second liners make that much, then sure.
As for your LA Kings point...i'm not sure why you want me to make your argument for you, it's your take, make it.
I've made it, I said they are severely hindered by it. You chose to ignore it because you know I'm right but you're instead cherry picking a team with generational talents as if we're even remotely comparable.
If Martin Necas was a flawless player, we'd be talking about a much higher salary.
There's a difference between a flawless player and having serious flaws which Necas has.
So again, i'm not sure what it is your arguing. That 8M/yr is reserved for flawless players?
Never said that but frankly I'm not surprised, you always put words in my mouth for every discussion we have.
Darnell Nurse contract kicked in last year, they lost in the 2nd round, this year, they're 2 games away from being in the Cup finals, despite Darnelll Nurse' debilitating contract.
You can keep repeating the words that it's crippling, but this isn't being manifested in real life.
It's definitely affected their ability to get another much needed dman.
I understand what you're saying and nowhere have I advocated to just pay any player anything he wants...but we're talking about an 8M yearly salary on a team whose highest paid player makes 7.8M.
And I've said that the range you first provided was fine with me and I've even made it clear that having a player overpaid by 750k isn't going to be the downfall of our cap.
The Nurse/Oilers example is not a good example to use.
But it is. Their own fans are saying it's hurting them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that McDrai is covering a lot of their problems. It would be like saying the Gallagher/Anderson contracts weren't problematic because we made the finals a couple of years ago, but that's ignoring how we had a superstar in Price to cover up the issues.
I don't know what others said about PLD last year, I didn't really have a take on him signing that contract with the Kings.

I know I wouldn't have given him that deal but I certainly don't think that contract is the sole reason they got bounced in the first roun and to suggest so is disingenuous.
No offense but I call complete bullshit that you wouldn't have given him that. He was a second liner and it falls exactly in line with the criteria that you're setting for Necas. He was a flawed player, the Habs cap situation wouldn't be problematic for a young former 3rd OA, and missing out over like 750k wouldn't be worth it.

Once again, never said he's the sole reason. I'm saying his contract is really hurting them.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't determine the market value of players.

Jack Eichel has one 80pt season and 1 78pt season and makes 10M a year.
Eichel has 514 points in 539 games. He's also a complete player unlike Necas. He's a superstar player no matter what narrative you're trying to spin. Having the extra 70 point for Necas doesn't put him in the same conversation.
There's a lot more than just bad contracts hurting them. Well moreso the Flames...the Kings finished in the same exact place they did the year prior when they DIDN'T have PL Dubois' contract lol
But bad contracts are a major component of them. So again, I ask, would you want to sign up to be in the same positon?
The Pezzetta analogy was a weird one...certainly you can find a better way to make an argument.
It's hyperbole to prove that just because you have generational talents covering up major issues with the team doesn't mean these issues don't exist.
But I DID use real examples
By completely ignoring context which makes it very disingenuous.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Eichel has 514 points in 539 games. He's also a complete player unlike Necas. He's a superstar player no matter what narrative you're trying to spin. Having the extra 70 point for Necas doesn't put him in the same conversation.
Look who is being disingenuous now. He never said Necas should make $10m like Eichel, but you’ve spun it that way. At least be honest.

That’s also a contract expiring in two seasons, that is jumping to $13-14m per season. $7m is going to look like peanuts in 3 years.

• Haha
Reactions: The Great Weal

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Would be nice to have Necas, however not sure the Habs have assets that the Canes would want, not that Habs don't have assets. Canes will probably be looking for an established forward from Habs core group which probably won't work.

Necas will probably be dealt to Anaheim for Zegras or something similar. Problem for a problem.
Necas is NOT a little ball of hate type player

Reactions: Deus ex machina

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Was this the same with PLD last year? Would you want to "sign up" to be in that scenario too?

Handsomely for what he is. If you're example here is that JT Miller makes 8 million so it's okay for Necas to make the same, I'd respectfully ask if you even know how to determine if a player is good or not. Miller is like twice the player Necas is.

I'm not saying all hell will break loose if we do that, but it's not ideal for a player of his caliber and we should already be weary of red flags in his game.
-what an odd post...because PLD didn't work out in year one of his deal with the Kings, it means we can't ever pay anyone more than 8M a year.

Is this what you're arguing? Come on man...

- The fact you think Miller is twice the player Necas is irrelevant, I posted players who make 8M a year. When JT Miller was the same age as Martin Necas, he wasn't two the player Necas is today, in fact, he was worse.

- You're not paying flawless players 8M a year...it's basically the going rate for a 2nd line player, the fact that the Habs have two key players already locked up for several years at UNDER this amount, should tell you how much flexibility they have.
When I see 2nd liners in today's game making around 5-6, I'm going based off of that. When/if the cap goes to that point and most other second liners make that much, then sure.
I don't think you understand how the market works. I'm not even trying to be a dick here. But most 2nd line player making 5-6M a deal today, signed their deal a few years ago. It is by no means a reflection of where the cap is going.

Most of these players are either 30 year old +. You're stuck in a by gone era man.

I've made it, I said they are severely hindered by it. You chose to ignore it because you know I'm right but you're instead cherry picking a team with generational talents as if we're even remotely comparable.
No, you've chosen to arbitrarily decide that a few bad contracts is why those teams struggled. That's entirely different.

You brought up the Kings, who lost in the first round this year because according to you, they have one contract on their team that's severely hindering them in P-L Dubois.

Yet the year prior, they also lost in the first round and guess what, they didn't P-L Dubois on their roster.
There's a difference between a flawless player and having serious flaws which Necas has.

Never said that but frankly I'm not surprised, you always put words in my mouth for every discussion we have.

It's definitely affected their ability to get another much needed dman.
So you're not a fan of Necas...that's fine. I can respect that.

I just don't agree that 8M a year is outlandish. That's the high end of his market right now, i'm not the one to determines that, that's just the way the market is. Don't blame me.

And I've said that the range you first provided was fine with me and I've even made it clear that having a player overpaid by 750k isn't going to be the downfall of our cap.

But it is. Their own fans are saying it's hurting them. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that McDrai is covering a lot of their problems. It would be like saying the Gallagher/Anderson contracts weren't problematic because we made the finals a couple of years ago, but that's ignoring how we had a superstar in Price to cover up the issues.
Who cares what their own fans are saying lol I promise you, if the Oilers win the Stanley Cup...no one will give a damn that Darnell Nurse is overpaid by 4-5M.

But if they lose, he will no doubt be the reason why.

None of this actually means anything because there's never a singular reason why a team wins or loses. Only kids who believe in fairy tales think that.

You're not a child.
No offense but I call complete bullshit that you wouldn't have given him that. He was a second liner and it falls exactly in line with the criteria that you're setting for Necas. He was a flawed player, the Habs cap situation wouldn't be problematic for a young former 3rd OA, and missing out over like 750k wouldn't be worth it.

Once again, never said he's the sole reason. I'm saying his contract is really hurting them.
Why would I take offense when you're the one who smells like shit right about now.

June 27, 2023 - read for yourself. I had zero interest in paying a Quebec tax for P-L Dubois. Good player, I wouldn't have minded him but no way I wanted the Habs to pay the assets and salary required to sign him.

So you can go on with that take.

• Haha
Reactions: The Great Weal

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
-what an odd post...because PLD didn't work out in year one of his deal with the Kings, it means we can't ever pay anyone more than 8M a year.
When did I even say anything remotely close to this my god lol. Anyways, I keep repeating my points but you keep ignoring them and putting words in my mouth so this is just not going anywhere. I’ll just stick to saying, I completely agree with the range you initially suggested for Necas as I consider that to be acceptable. Overpaying by 750k isn’t going to be detrimental to the team, but if it does set a precedent for future players who are comparable to Necas it can hurt our cap situation. If that doesn’t happen then great, if we get generational talents or even just superstars to make up for these potentially inflated contracts then awesome, but as of now, we don’t have any of that yet.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I have no problem with Eichel making 10M a year, I was just using him given the post you made.

It's not hard to believe that 8M would be the floor if Necas was coming off back to back 70pt seasons.

I never said 10M....YOU said that (which is funny given in a subsequent post you accused me of putting words in your mouth).
But bad contracts are a major component of them. So again, I ask, would you want to sign up to be in the same positon?
Bad contracts are never the sole reason why a team struggles because you can find bad contracts on successful teams EVERY year.

You're ignoring a bunch of contributing factors to focus on one because it's convenient. But that's not how things work in real life.
It's hyperbole to prove that just because you have generational talents covering up major issues with the team doesn't mean these issues don't exist.

By completely ignoring context which makes it very disingenuous.
Exactly. Debate me on the level...not using hyperboles.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
When did I even say anything remotely close to this my god lol. Anyways, I keep repeating my points but you keep ignoring them and putting words in my mouth so this is just not going anywhere. I’ll just stick to saying, I completely agree with the range you initially suggested for Necas as I consider that to be acceptable. Overpaying by 750k isn’t going to be detrimental to the team, but if it does set a precedent for future players who are comparable to Necas it can hurt our cap situation. If that doesn’t happen then great, if we get generational talents or even just superstars to make up for these potentially inflated contracts then awesome, but as of now, we don’t have any of that yet.
so what was I supposed to infer with you asking me if I wanted to sign up for the PLD scenario last year? Which I never even wanted too and was something you fabricated on your own?

This has nothing to do with anything lol we're talking about Martin Necas and his value.

You're not a fan and you wouldn't pay him 8M a year, but you'd be OK with 7.5M.

I'm a fan of the player and i'm not going to quibble over such a meaningless difference in salary.

Chacun pour soi. I'm good with that.

But let's not please act like paying a guy market value is some insane risk that they wouldn't be able to recover from. Even if you want to argue he'd be overpaid, he'd be overpaid by what? 1-1.5M annually?

Like come on man lol

Even this Darnell Nurse example you're using is silly. I can already see it.

If the Edmonton Oilers win the Stanley Cup...you're never going to actually argue that they won despite his ridiculous contract or even that they won because of it.

If the Edmonton Oilers lose, you're definitely going to argue that they lost BECAUSE of it vthough.

Both of those things can't be true and me take that opinion seriously....maybe others, but not me chief lol.

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
People's expectations for Necas are just so out of touch here.
Assuming we even have the disposable assets to bring him in...

"I don't want Necas he doesn't play like a 9M player and that's what we need" - yeah but we're not gonna pay him 9M

"Necas is not a perfect player he's not physical, he's not a great playoff performer" - once again we're talking about a 6-7M 2nd liner, if he was all that he'd get 9M+

I think we'd be lucky to have a skilled yet imperfect, 25yo 2nd liner with upside in the low 7s, and most good teams have that type of player for that role at that salary, without expecting him to be the next Rantanen.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Newhook was not an overpayment.
some posters feel that
The Montreal Canadiens acquired Alex Newhook from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for a 2023 first-round pick (31st overall), a 2023 second-round pick (37th overall), and defenseman Gianni Fairbrother

"I don't want Necas he doesn't play like a 9M player and that's what we need" - yeah but we're not gonna pay him 9M

"Necas is not a perfect player he's not physical, he's not a great playoff performer" - once again we're talking about a 6-7M 2nd liner, if he was all that he'd get 9M+

I think we'd be lucky to have a skilled yet imperfect, 25yo 2nd liner with upside in the low 7s, and most good teams have that type of player for that role at that salary, without expecting him to be the next Rantanen.
9 mil players better be better then him

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

I don't think he needs to be all that. Soft players with questionable compete level are players you proceed with caution. For example, Jarvis is likely someone who will be a 2nd liner and I'm far more comfortable giving that kind of money to him because he works his ass off and doesn't shy away from contact. Even Cole's got fire in him. Necas I don't really see it, especially when it will likely cost Roy+1st+.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Among all players, regardless of the time, that we have heard repetitive and continuous rumors/speculations that will be acquired by Habs, which one is materialized ? The player that we have talked about a lot then it finally turned out that Habs did acquire him is: Dvorak. I think no one was surprised when we acquired him, because most of us did expect it.
You remember anyone else ? We did talk bit about Brière before signing him as UFA.

The two players that we have talked a lot but the trade never happens are: Luc Robitaille and PL Dubois.

Recently, the names of Zegras and Necas have been mentioned frequently. Who knows ?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Necas will probably demand a salary higher than Suzuki or Caufield which he is not worth to have.

Unless he signs in a no taxes zone. Some stupid team will pay his terms. Could see Boston trading a goalie for him. They have no centers
He f***ing sucks as a centre.

If you've watched Dach take faceoffs and think he's bad, he looks like Bergeron compared to Necas. This is the problem with acquiring him, if people think he can be a centre.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Don't want Laine, unless they want Gallagher or Anderson. That would be agreeable. 2 more years of Laine at 8.7 vs 3 more years of either 6.5 or 5.5
Why would trade Gallagher for Laine.. sorry I dont understand this one. As much as i would like to trade Gally.. not for a guy like Laine who does not fit in ths culture.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
He f***ing sucks as a centre.

If you've watched Dach take faceoffs and think he's bad, he looks like Bergeron compared to Necas. This is the problem with acquiring him, if people think he can be a centre.
Totally agree with you on this. Also defensively is not his forte. Which is kinda bad looking for a top 6 center who ask for the big bucks.

Suzuki been much better on the dot and defensively , hes a much better plekanec. Id rather getting a big winger in a big trade than a fake Center imo

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Patrik Laine is a big forward with great sniping hability who could do really great in a market like Montreal behing guys like Suzuki/Slaf. Him and Dach would be two big guys on the second line. A sniper and a playmaker. Add to them Caufield or our 5th overall this year and this is two good trios.

Plus Laine is buy low candidate, so timing is good. AND he is the same age of Suzuki.
Laine is a 9M guy playing like a 5M one. The only way i would take him is if Anderson goes the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad