HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I just don’t think it fits with what Hughes wants to do. Goal is to unload heavy contracts and going after Dubois does exactly the opposite. It’s not like we need size in our top 6 either. I assume Anderson would be going back but I don’t think this changes much when the primary goal is unloading contracts as stated by Hughes himself…
By this logic, we should substract Suzuki as well, due to his heavy contract.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I sitll think it's dallas, the hold up is Klingberg and where he goes and I still think the biggest drain is negotiation between the ask and the retention
Possible but the fact they signed Marchment and Miller (RD), i think they went for 2 middle quality players to fill two holes instead of one. Dallas didn't have the money to sign Klingerg at 8M$. They just signed 2 players for 6,3M$. They don,t have the space for Petry, even retained. Unless they also dump a contract on us like Faksa or something but i doubt it.

Reactions: Vachon23

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Here were the draft lottery odds this year. Are we really not going to get a 24-year-old centre because he could lower our chances from 8.5% to 7.5% or 6.5% of getting the pick? lol

It's fine if you don't like PLD as a player, but the lottery odds argument is really weak. Look at New jersey, the got the 2nd pick. In fact Habs were lucky to even draft 1st.

Montreal Canadiens18.5%
Arizona Coyotes13.5%
Seattle Kraken11.5%
Philadelphia Flyers9.5%
New Jersey Devils8.5%
Columbus Blue Jackets (via Chicago Blackhawks)7.5%
Ottawa Senators6.5%
Detroit Red Wings6.0%
Buffalo Sabres5.0%
Anaheim Ducks3.5%
San Jose Sharks3.5%

This is always the same arguments. “You want bedard but you’ll just end up being the next buffalo lol”

It’s not about Bedard. You have to give yourself every chance to hit homeruns with your rebuilding top10 picks.

If you want to win the cup one day, you have to beat teams like Tampa who has Hedman/ Vasi/ Point/ Kucherov/ Stamkos or Colorado who has MacKinnon/ Rantanen/ Landeskog/ Makar/ Byram.

You’re not gonna beat these teams with nothing better than complimentary players like PLD. Once your core is ready, then you go get a McDonagh or a Kadri. If you try to force it, thats when you end in mediocre no man’s land.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he is done, and LTIR for the rest of his contract, he becomes an asset that can be moved to a rebuilding team like Chicago (the new Arizona) to help them reach the floor when they lose the 21M of Kane and Toews after this season.

Easier said than done. We thought that with Weber but had to take a $5M cap hit for one year that might hurt our flexibility management this summer.

Takes some unique circumstances for it to play out well for us

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I was thinking the same myself, that for now Chychrun would be a nicer fit as a 24 yo D who can eat minutes, since we have more core forwards than core D.

We need to find a way to structure a deal with Arizona to get Chychrun. I tried something in a separate post, but there could be more than one way to do it.

It is quite possible that if we do a deal for Chychrun, we won't have the ammo for a Dubois deal in the same year. But that's ok with me. We can't have every player we want, lol.

Chychrun is always injured, not interested personally

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
This is always the same arguments. “You want bedard but you’ll just end up being the next buffalo lol”

It’s not about Bedard. You have to give yourself every chance to hit homeruns with your rebuilding top10 picks.

If you want to win the cup one day, you have to beat teams like Tampa who has Hedman/ Vasi/ Point/ Kucherov/ Stamkos or Colorado who has MacKinnon/ Rantanen/ Landeskog/ Makar/ Byram.

You’re not gonna beat these teams with nothing better than complimentary players like PLD. Once your core is ready, then you go get a McDonagh or a Kadri. If you try to force it, thats when you end in mediocre no man’s land.
I find it funny that your examples that you used include colorado which has Landeskog
Dubois - 60 pts - age 23
Landeskog - Age 23 - 60 pts

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Here were the draft lottery odds this year. Are we really not going to get a 24-year-old centre because he could lower our chances from 8.5% to 7.5% or 6.5% of getting the pick? lol

It's fine if you don't like PLD as a player, but the lottery odds argument is really weak. Look at New jersey, the got the 2nd pick. In fact Habs were lucky to even draft 1st.

Montreal Canadiens18.5%
Arizona Coyotes13.5%
Seattle Kraken11.5%
Philadelphia Flyers9.5%
New Jersey Devils8.5%
Ottawa Senators6.5%
Detroit Red Wings6.0%
Buffalo Sabres5.0%
Anaheim Ducks3.5%
San Jose Sharks3.5%
Agreed 100%. I think our best odds are 11,5% finishing 3rd to last, in the actual state of things. If we sign Dubois because we think he is one piece of the puzzle for the time we will compete again, and trade Dvorak as part of the package for him, yeah i don't think he wins us 4-5 spots in the standings.

And no, i don't really care to drop from 11,5% to 8,5 or 7,5%. Top 10 is pretty stacked in the next draft.

Reactions: TheFalk

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
100%, he would be a core piece to our young forward group and will be integral to our future success.

Plus, there is a ton of unknowns about the future. What if he gets a huge injury in the next two years? Breakouts into a PPG player and chases a huge payday.

It's a much much safer option to trade for him now and lock him up long term.

Imagine having 3 solid lines we roll with two good PP's? This is where a guy like Dubois will provide more than what we would imagine today.

Dubois is also the type you want for playoff hockey. Anderson as well. Those saying no to Dubois and want to trade Anderson are miscalculating things. Why? Cause of the Bedard obsession.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
If PLD is just good enough to drop you 1 spot at the draft and you end up missing on Fantilli or Carlsson because of that it affects the future of your franchise dramatically. All of that just so you can overpay (both in assets and $) for an entitled quebecois player ?

Trading for PLD is dumb on so many levels.

There are a lot of "if" in there. We don't know what is the asking price right now. Can Dvorak and a couple of B level prospect do the trick? That wouldn't be bad. At the same time will replacing Dvorak by PLD will automatically make the team win more? If we keep dvorak and fail to land a top 5 pick... then are we better off?? Bottom line here is we dont know much and your guess is as good as anyone. The only things we know for sure are:
1- he would like to play in MTL
3- MTL seems to want to add skill and size to the line-up and he fits the bill
2- we dont have the cap space to take him so this is all useless until KH create some space.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean I wasn’t necessarily trying to get people to stop talking about. I meant it more in the sense that you’re wasting your time..

And like I said, I would expect the agent to say that whether it’s true or not. That’s his job. How many agents ever come out and say in regards to a player who needs a contract that the player is not going to signing in a big market? I’ll wait

There is a lot of wasting time on the trade thread cause 99.9% of ideas never happen. However, that don't mean the Dubois situation is not real.

At the end of the day, it's a place to chit chat about trades. Avoid telling others to stop it. You're wasting your time

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
All this trading for Dach and rumours about PLD, makes it seem like they’re trying hard to make up for passing on Wright. If we’re going to give up future assets for PLD, I’d much rather we have drafted Wright tbh
The Habs had 1st pick overall...if they wanted Wright, they would have picked him.

Reactions: dralaf

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Montreal might have the worst D/G combination in the NHL. If PLD was really as good as people are arguing, then you go out and try to get him for pennies on the dollar as he'd have to be a top 20 player in the NHL.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I find it funny that your examples that you used include colorado which has Landeskog
Dubois - 60 pts - age 23
Landeskog - Age 23 - 60 pts

I’m not sure we have a better player than Landeskog, maybe Suzuki.

If the habs ever win the cup in our lifetime, I guarantee you that the best player on that team is not with us yet.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

The Habs won't be winning their way out of picking top 10 next year (and they also have 2 first round picks)...but if they do, then that's a good sign in terms of how the young players on this team are performing.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Montreal Canadiens18.5%
Arizona Coyotes13.5%
Seattle Kraken11.5%
Philadelphia Flyers9.5%
New Jersey Devils8.5%
Ottawa Senators6.5%
Detroit Red Wings6.0%
Buffalo Sabres5.0%
Anaheim Ducks3.5%
San Jose Sharks3.5%
It's really wild when you break it down that way lol

Lets sabotage our season and progression from our young players to position ourselves somewhere in the range of 3.5% to 18.5% chance of drafting Connor Bedard who 12 months away from the draft, looks like a generational player (like Wright before him).

Wild stuff

What’s the rush in getting a centre? Dach and now PLD rumours.
The organization lacks quality C's and quality Cs are a valued commodity?

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
Winnipeg gave up Laine because they wanted to shore up their centerline with Dubois. I have a hard time thinking that they'd trade Dubois with Dvorak as main piece. I think Dach will go the other way if Dubois comes here. Wed end up having Suzuki and Dubois as our centers which isn't enticing for me. Winnipeg couldnt win despite having Scheifele (who's better than suzuki), Dubois, Kyle Connor, Wheeler, Ehler and Hellebuyck which is much much better than our roster

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Winnipeg gave up Laine because they wanted to shore up their centerline with Dubois. I have a hard time thinking that they'd trade Dubois with Dvorak as main piece. I think Dach will go the other way if Dubois comes here. Wed end up having Suzuki and Dubois as our centers which isn't enticing for me. Winnipeg couldnt win despite having Scheifele (who's better than suzuki), Dubois, Kyle Connor, Wheeler, Ehler and Hellebuyck which is much much better than our roster
Eh... the problems were much much deeper than Dubois.

There is a problem in that locker room that no talent would be able to overcome. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Imagine having 3 solid lines we roll with two good PP's? This is where a guy like Dubois will provide more than what we would imagine today.

Dubois is also the type you want for playoff hockey. Anderson as well. Those saying no to Dubois and want to trade Anderson are miscalculating things. Why? Cause of the Bedard obsession.
I don't think anyone is saying no to Dubois. Just not to give up assets for him that can be used to acquire other prospects when they can just sign him in 2 years. Also they need to move enough contract in the trade to cover his contract. And his contract should be reasonable (less than Suzuki's) or forget it.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
By this logic, we should substract Suzuki as well, due to his heavy contract.
Really dude….

Hoffman, Petry, Armia contracts are not the same sad Suzuki’s…

There are a few big contracts on our team that we all know Hughes would like to get rid of. We all know what those are and we all know it’s not Suzuki

There is a lot of wasting time on the trade thread cause 99.9% of ideas never happen. However, that don't mean the Dubois situation is not real.

At the end of the day, it's a place to chit chat about trades. Avoid telling others to stop it. You're wasting your time
Ok didn’t know this would be so offensive my god. We should alert the church elders!!

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Eh... the problems were much much deeper than Dubois.

There is a problem in that locker room that no talent would be able to overcome. It's like comparing apples and oranges.
The players ran the ship in Winnipeg because the coach wanted to be friends with players instead of taking control (just like Montoyo with the Jays).

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
I'm personally excited to see what Dach can do in Montreal, I'm not really interested in flipping him for Dubois. If the Habs are set on trading for Dubois then I really hope Dach's not part of it. If Winnipeg won't accept Dvorak, Fla 1st + roster player/prospect (or something like that) then I'm ok to wait on him.

I think things in Chicago have been tough mentally the last few years with all the negative media attention and with Dach being rushed to too many responsibilities due to Toews' situation. Not to mention the major injury Dach had. I think the Habs team work with him this off season to strengthen his arm and sharpen his focus and see what he can bring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad