HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
Realistically, with the moves Detroit, Dallas and Carolina have made, who would be left as landing spots for Petry?

Dallas comes across as a solid Maybe, Detroit perhaps because they signed Chiarot and might want familiarity with Petry (plus he's local).

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
There was a rumor floating around that Habs are looking seriously at Ivan Provorov from Philly.

I suspect Chychrun's price is too astronomical, and compared to Flyers ask it might be more manageable. I wonder if Flyers would be open to More of a Hockey Trade (Gallagher, etc...) rather than Futures trade.

Provorov is 100% a need for us.

PLD I think bolsters our Offense esp with Suzuki and Dach, but he is only one piece of a much larger Jigsaw.
Provorov costs $2M more and is not really better than Chychrun. Also Arizona has more cap space to take money back, which we will need to do. On the other hand, the higher cap hit might provoke a lower acquisition cost

Not against Provorov, just comparing. It is an option for sure if doable, but is it doable?

Realistically, with the moves Detroit, Dallas and Carolina have made, who would be left as landing spots for Petry?

Dallas comes across as a solid Maybe, Detroit perhaps because they signed Chiarot and might want familiarity with Petry (plus he's local).
Dallas did not get a D that could replace Klingberg. Detroit could still use him I think, if they are trying to compete now. Carolina has cap space but getting Burns as an older offensive RD probably means no Petry, but Hughes could ask.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Provorov costs $2M more and is not really better than Chychrun. Also Arizona has more cap space to take money back, which we will need to do. On the other hand, the higher cap hit might provoke a lower acquisition cost

Not against Provorov, just comparing. It is an option for sure if doable, but is it doable?

Dallas did not get a D that could replace Klingberg. Detroit could still use him I think, if they are trying to compete now. Carolina has cap space but getting Burns as an older offensive RD probably means no Petry, but Hughes could ask.
I sitll think it's dallas, the hold up is Klingberg and where he goes and I still think the biggest drain is negotiation between the ask and the retention

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I dont believe in this PLD shit for one second.

So far, nothing leads to believe that Hughes would be dumb enough to butcher the rebuild by acquiring PLD so early. However if he were to do it and most of the fanbase is happy with it, that means they’re going for a patchwork re-tool, Molson will keep raking money and we would deserve the mediocre team that will result.

I’m not sure sure why Molson would fire Bergevin just to hire people that will just do the exact same thing he did but what do I know.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

So far, nothing leads to believe that Hughes would be dumb enough to butcher the rebuild by acquiring PLD so early. However if he were to do it and most of the fanbase is happy with it, that means they’re going for a patchwork re-tool, Molson will keep raking money and we would deserve the mediocre team that will result.

I’m not sure sure why Molson would fire Bergevin just to hire people that will just do the exact same thing he did but what do I know.
How does trading for PLD put us out of the re-build phase?

He is a 24 year old Center with a 60 pts season under his belt and has room to improve. He would be part of the core.

Trust me, adding PLD alone won't make us a contender.

If the Habs go out and do what Detroit or Ottawa did yesterday, I would get your logic. But they clearly aren't doing that.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Stop it with trying to get others from talking about it. If you don't want to talk about it, go to another thread.

You value what insiders say and don't care what Dubois's agent says? I think your approach is going to back fire on you the same way you are spitting it out
I mean I wasn’t necessarily trying to get people to stop talking about. I meant it more in the sense that you’re wasting your time..

And like I said, I would expect the agent to say that whether it’s true or not. That’s his job. How many agents ever come out and say in regards to a player who needs a contract that the player is not going to signing in a big market? I’ll wait

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Everything hangs in the balance until the Price status is clarified

Price is holding our cap space hostage but that's what we know as fans. It's possible Hughes has way more information on it.

Based on our cap flexibility, we can see trends in the moves he makes this summer and connect dots. I believe Hughes rather avoid Price on LTIR before the season starts. After the season starts? That's a different story

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010

Thank you!! Going after dubois doesn’t fit. It’s not the right time to be adding dubois . I think it’s far more likely that we see a Petry trade somewhere else or clearing of money

Reactions: SlafySZN

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I don’t see it happening at all. A lot of dots being connected based on vague information.

There has been nothing specific connecting Winnipeg and Montreal. Yes, there is a supposed trade, and Dubois apparently said through his agent that he would like to play here one day (who wouldn’t say that by the way), but none of the insiders have even mentionned it. Just random Montreal “insiders”
Based on the comments on the Jets board, which in turn are based on PLD's agent comments, he's a goner and Montreal is the prime candidate to trade for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

He is a 24 year old Center with a 60 pts season under his belt and has room to improve. He would be part of the core.

If the Habs go out and do what Detroit or Ottawa did yesterday, I would get your logic. But they clearly aren't doing that.

I don't understand why some fans don't want to trade for Dubois and they think he moves the needle for us that much next year. This is a building block and getting a player in his prime for 7+ years. A player that wants to play for us and is a warrior in the playoffs.

Habs are looking at a 5-10 or 8-12 pick without Dubois. With Dubois? It's still outside of the playoffs and picks 5-15 are usually close values. We can still get a Caufield or Guhle in that range.

This is obsession for Bedard factor. I want him too but it's very low %. I'm willing to bet that both the Coyotes and Blackhawks don't get Bedard. Probability is against it even if they finish bottom 2. Think about it

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016

If PLD is just good enough to drop you 1 spot at the draft and you end up missing on Fantilli or Carlsson because of that it affects the future of your franchise dramatically. All of that just so you can overpay (both in assets and $) for an entitled quebecois player ?

Trading for PLD is dumb on so many levels.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I don't understand why some fans don't want to trade for Dubois and they think he moves the needle for us that much next year. This is a building block and getting a player in his prime for 7+ years. A player that wants to play for us and is a warrior in the playoffs.

Habs are looking at a 5-10 or 8-12 pick without Dubois. With Dubois? It's still outside of the playoffs and picks 5-15 are usually close values. We can still get a Caufield or Guhle in that range.

This is obsession for Bedard factor. I want him too but it's very low %. I'm willing to bet that both the Coyotes and Blackhawks don't get Bedard. Probability is against it even if they finish bottom 2. Think about it
100%, he would be a core piece to our young forward group and will be integral to our future success.

Plus, there is a ton of unknowns about the future. What if he gets a huge injury in the next two years? Breakouts into a PPG player and chases a huge payday.

It's a much much safer option to trade for him now and lock him up long term.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Price is holding our cap space hostage but that's what we know as fans. It's possible Hughes has way more information on it.

Based on our cap flexibility, we can see trends in the moves he makes this summer and connect dots. I believe Hughes rather avoid Price on LTIR before the season starts. After the season starts? That's a different story
If he is done, and LTIR for the rest of his contract, he becomes an asset that can be moved to a rebuilding team like Chicago (the new Arizona) to help them reach the floor when they lose the 21M of Kane and Toews after this season.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
If PLD is just good enough to drop you 1 spot at the draft and you end up missing on Fantilli or Carlsson because of that it affects the future of your franchise dramatically. All of that just so you can overpay (both in assets and $) for an entitled quebecois player ?

First round picks are 50/50. Remember how many people were so high on Lambert last year?

Look at what happens to franchises that tank to get the best player in the draft. Arizona, Edmonton, Toronto, Buffalo haven't won anything.

It takes YEARS to get a good core together.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
I think Montreal is used again as leverage in PLD case. With all these centers talks, could we also think to upgrade our crappy defense?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I’ll believe it when I see it
That's a healthy attitude. I'm not buying a jersey myself. That said, it's not some whacky rumour. There is a substance to it and we have the assets to make a trade without touching any of our projected core pieces.

HostileCapSpace

Jul 1, 2019
Montreal

Here were the draft lottery odds this year. Are we really not going to get a 24-year-old centre because he could lower our chances from 8.5% to 7.5% or 6.5% of getting the pick? lol

It's fine if you don't like PLD as a player, but the lottery odds argument is really weak. Look at New jersey, the got the 2nd pick. In fact Habs were lucky to even draft 1st.

Montreal Canadiens18.5%
Arizona Coyotes13.5%
Seattle Kraken11.5%
Philadelphia Flyers9.5%
New Jersey Devils8.5%
Columbus Blue Jackets (via Chicago Blackhawks)7.5%
Ottawa Senators6.5%
Detroit Red Wings6.0%
Buffalo Sabres5.0%
Anaheim Ducks3.5%
San Jose Sharks3.5%

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
That's a healthy attitude. I'm not buying a jersey myself. That said, it's not some whacky rumour. There is a substance to it and we have the assets to make a trade without touching any of our projected core pieces.
I just don’t think it fits with what Hughes wants to do. Goal is to unload heavy contracts and going after Dubois does exactly the opposite. It’s not like we need size in our top 6 either. I assume Anderson would be going back but I don’t think this changes much when the primary goal is unloading contracts as stated by Hughes himself…

Reactions: SlafySZN

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021

The devils still tons of cap space.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON

I think Dallas and Detroit are teams that would take a look at Petry.

I wonder if Buffalo would like a vet to help eat minutes for a few years, they have a lot of amazing D prospects but Petry's contract would expire around when they need to be signed post ELC.

I also wonder if a team like LA would have interest in him as insulation for Doughty after that major injury last year. Maybe help him reduce his regular season minutes so he's healthy for the playoffs.

Teams may want to see how Petry plays to start the year and circle back to him around trade deadline when they know they're in playoff contention or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad