HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Right. Much better to anoint PLD the star #1 C of his team and tell everyone he was the #1 C of his team, even though he played over 2 mins less per game and scored 10 less points in 14 more games than his team's actual #1 who has been their #1 center for years. But not because YOU like PLD (no no heaven forbid that would be too subjective). It's actually because some writer said he played well. Gotcha.
No one has anointed PLD anything

It’s in context of retaining Suzuki and Caufield that all the speculation for PLD’s acquisition happens. As a supplementary piece of the ongoing and future core.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Dach is a sub 30 point scorer with potentially devastating injury issues. The same injury that derailed the career of Lecavalier, Drouin, and many others. Dubois is a young 25+ goal power forward.

They’re not remotely comparable.
Wasn’t comparing them. I like the cost certainty of Dach, is all. Of course, he’s a project with unrealized potential that may or may not be realized but going with Dach won’t cause us to expend assets we can’t afford at this early stage as we don’t have a lot of quality disposable assets. Plus, Dubois can be had for free in two years, I’d take my chances.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
But the question is how are they going to cover Dubois' contract now. 7-8 million in contracts would have to go the other way. It's possible that Montreal couldn't make the trade on draft day because it was conditional on a Petry trade to open up cap space that fell through. Now it's possible that they need to move Hoffman in order to have enough cap space to do a Dubois deal.

I don't see Habs making this deal without sending money the other way. Whether that is in the form of Dvorak or Anderson.

For one, Habs would need to make more room on the cap to fit the potential PLD contract. But also, I don't see Jets send PLD without getting a center back. So I could see them want Dvorak to play behind Scheifele.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Complain to Pat Brisson, not us. Also fixing that locker room would probably help enticing young players.
Yup…. I also don’t get the bashing about Dubois wanting to join the Habs……First, and sorry for pointing out the obvious; but if I was a pro athlete, THE last city with a nhl franchise I would want to live is = Winnipeg
Also, Winnipeg’s locker room has THE worst reputation in the league ; mostly because of Wheeler and Scheifle.

Normaly, that would be a biatch move by Dubois, but can you blame the guy ?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
24 is usually peak production for NHL forwards on average statistically. Plus he will be getting paid like a finished product so he better not be a project. Are you saying you're expecting him to greatly improve? It's not impossible, but it's statistically unlikely.

The Florida 1st is untouchable for me. Untouchable. Unless it is valued like David Pastrnak.
This is entirely fair but I wonder if you have the same criticism of Suzuki? He’s paid like a finished product but he’s more or less as productive as PLD.

Wasn’t comparing them. I like the cost certainty of Dach, is all. Of course, he’s a project with unrealized potential that may or may not be realized but going with Dach won’t cause us to expend assets we can’t afford at this early stage as we don’t have a lot of quality disposable assets. Plus, Dubois can be had for free in two years, I’d take my chances.
Cost certainty of a c. 30 point player every season isn’t all that important to the outcome of a season. If he improves that’s great, let’s hope he breaks his own trajectory. But then again, I doubt he will sign a long, cost certain contract if he is confident he will improve and break out.

PLD and Dach are two different tiers of players in two completely different tracks. It’s not fair to treat one as the alternative for the other.

He’s more polished than Dach obviously but at least you don’t have to gut your roster in order to add Dubois.
The Habs won’t trade their core pieces for PLD. The non-core pieces are irrelevant — so what’s the problem?

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
He’s more polished than Dach obviously but at least you don’t have to gut your roster in order to add Dubois.
Absolutely would not gut the roster for PLD. No way would I trade a core asset.
However, there could still be a package we could offer that would not gut our roster. And if not, then so be it, good luck with him Chevy

Reactions: Runner77

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Bergevin likely tried to trade for Dubois when he asked out of Columbus. Jets had the Laine situation and added Rost... thinking they could convince him to stay. That's on the Jets. Hughes is clearly using his leverage. Otherwise, I think the deal would have been done by now cause we do have many different several packages we can offer. There is likely a cap in and cap out problem though but the Jets will face that from pretty much every other team they talk trade with.

I rather move Dvorak vs Dach too. I wonder how they value Armia cause they clearly know who he is and had to offer him to unload Mason a few years ago.

Dvorak, Armia, Panthers 1st, and a B prospect? I think they are looking at both Dach and someone like Harris.

What do you value more? Dach or the Panthers 1st? I would be surprised if we trade for Dubois and one of those pieces are not moved.

Dach, for sure. Panthers won't be as good this year but still a playoff team.

I'd do Dvorak, Armaia, FLO 1st and Harris

Reactions: MarioLeMoose

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I am curious about the Florida 1st. The Habs received it unprotected. But if Habs in turn send that pick in a separate trade, does the pick have to stay unprotected? Or can the Habs add a condition to it?

• Wow
Reactions: Habs13

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is entirely fair but I wonder if you have the same criticism of Suzuki? He’s paid like a finished product but he’s more or less as productive as PLD.

Cost certainty of a c. 30 point player every season isn’t all that important to the outcome of a season. If he improves that’s great, let’s hope he breaks his own trajectory. But then again, I doubt he will sign a long, cost certain contract if he is confident he will improve and break out.

PLD and Dach are two different tiers of players in two completely different tracks. It’s not fair to treat one as the alternative for the other.

The Habs won’t trade their core pieces for PLD. The non-core pieces are irrelevant — so what’s the problem?
But again, who is saying that they aren’t on complete different tracks? They obviously are since we don’t know if and how much of Dach’s potential can be realized.

No one knows how far the Habs may go in a trade for Dubois.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I am curious about the Florida 1st. The Habs received it unprotected. But if Habs in turn send that pick in a separate trade, does the pick have to stay unprotected? Or can the Habs add a condition to it?

Oo! That's an interesting question! I have no idea... I don't think that's ever happened before!

ganiccus

Jul 17, 2022
Yup…. I also don’t get the bashing about Dubois wanting to join the Habs……First, and sorry for pointing out the obvious; but if I was a pro athlete, THE last city with a nhl franchise I would want to live is = Winnipeg
Also, Winnipeg’s locker room has THE worst reputation in the league ; mostly because of Wheeler and Scheifle.

Normaly, that would be a biatch move by Dubois, but can you blame the guy ?

Interesting segment you linked there. I would not even blame Dubois for wanting out of Colombus honestly, Tortorella has a knack to mightily piss off way too many players in this league, at some point maybe it's not the players fault but the coach who should have a long hard look in the mirror.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With everything coming out about Dubois, can any of you actually see him starting the year in Winnipeg? I have a hard time seeing it.

I don't see him be a Winnipeg Jet come training camp. However, it wouldn't be the first time a player was rumored to be moved in the off-season but nothing materialized and the player started the year still on the team. Duchene with Colorado comes to mind.

Although the difference there is that Duchene still had a contract, whereas PLD is an RFA.

Reactions: FrankMTL

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

How about Dach as part of a package deal? I’d only be dangling him if it makes the rest of the pieces in the deal, easier to give up on.

Dach makes a lot of sense for Peg. They have a much better chance at holding on to him long term as he is from the prairies and their no. 1 issue is keeping players long term.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Hughes is in a good position to squeeze the Jets on PLD. Jets are in a very unfavorable negotiating position.

Jets fans are going to be disappointed if they think they're getting Suzuki or Caufield I'll tell you that.

Reactions: DailyKaizen

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hughes is in a good position to squeeze the Jets on PLD. Jets are in a very unfavorable negotiating position.

Jets fans are going to be disappointed if they think they're getting Suzuki or Caufield I'll tell you that.
Suzuki and Caufield are never going to happen but neither can one underestimate a counterpart. Maybe Chevaldayoff will find a better return just flipping Dubois to another team and let them figure out if they can convince him to sign long term.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
You have no idea what the Habs were doing at the draft. Zero.

How many other NHL players were there? Why would he attend if he didn’t think he was being traded? Makes no sense.

Yeah man they made an offer with Byron, Pezzetta, and Drouin but the Jets are holding out for Armia too.

Just because you don’t like what you’re reading, doesn’t mean that it isn’t accurate. There’s clearly been talks between the two teams, with the Habs making an offer that was serious enough that PLD himself showed at the draft with his agent later emphasizing Montreal is where he wants to be. When has Pat Brisson ever done anything like that? The signs all point to Winnipeg backing out of the deal after the Dach trade and wanting more. Which is fine, I’ve said all along I’d prefer to wait until he’s a UFA before acquiring him.
Sounds like Brisson is trying to help out former agent, Kent Hughes and, with the assistant Gm position still open... ;)

Kidding, of course. Everyone knows Brisson wouldn't settle for just an Assistant GM job if he turned to the dark side...

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

The Habs had Carolina’s unprotected 1st last year and put a condition on it in the Dvorak trade.

CaptainKirk

Sep 27, 2004
Moncton
Suzuki and Caufield are never going to happen but neither can one underestimate a counterpart. Maybe Chevaldayoff will find a better return just flipping Dubois to another team and let them figure out if they can convince him to sign long term.
That seems like a likely scenario. I've read Chevaldayoff is stubborn and doesn't like the appearance of losing a trade.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co

Very possible yes, I just have a hard time seeing another team paying a premium package for a player that has requested a trade on every team that he has played for and who's agent has stated publicly that he is interested in playing in a certain city with a certain team.

Very possible it happens though, as we see GMs make bad decisions all the time.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Depends what cheap means. If some of the reported interactions are true, we may not be at that point and may never be.
in that case i believe a trade will never happy. Not with this management.
ANd i view cheap a bit like the trouba trade , a first (not habs, or habs at least top 10 protected)and a prospect not named ghule. Maybe some smaller picks and or prospects

Reactions: Runner77

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
center core would look great and young if we can land Dubois

Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - PLD - Anderson
Dadonov - Dach - Gallagher
Armia - Evans - Pezetta
Byron ( LTIR )

i know people like to s*** on Drouin all day long but on a contract year with MSL here i think he has a better year if he can stay healthy hes still a skilled player its just mental with him

Dvorak + Harris/Norlinder + FLA 1st for PLD

Hoffman + pick for future considerations

Last edited:
Reactions: waitin425
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad