HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
As a team, you don't do yourself any favors playing the game of "Is he a 1C on this team or a 2C on that team?" What should matter is the fit he'd have on your team.

You assess the player by what he's been able to do so far on the teams he played for. In PLD's case, Columbus and Winnipeg.

In Columbus, he was their 1C. He was their 1C when they swept Tampa in 2019. He was their 1C when they beat the Leafs in the Play-In. He had great players with him there. He didn't do it all on his own. But those great players also had PLD. And he had played big role in Columbus' biggest playoff successes.

In Winnipeg, he and Scheifele were a 1A/1B. And PLD was the most dominant player for long stretches on a team that had Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, and Ehlers.

What happened in Columbus and how it ended? You do your due diligence. Habs have deep connections in Columbus. Hughes and Jarmo are good friends that have known each other for very long. And MSL has a deep connection with Torts. In fact, MSL worked with PLD when he was a PP consultant.
We also know for a fact he’s really good as a LW too. So if the Habs are fortunate enough to grab a great centre in the 2023 draft, or if Dach hits his potential, it’ll all work out in the long run.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As a team, you don't do yourself any favors playing the game of "Is he a 1C on this team or a 2C on that team?" What should matter is the fit he'd have on your team.

You assess the player by what he's been able to do so far on the teams he played for. In PLD's case, Columbus and Winnipeg.

In Columbus, he was their 1C. He was their 1C when they swept Tampa in 2019. He was their 1C when they beat the Leafs in the Play-In. He had great players with him there. He didn't do it all on his own. But those great players had PLD. And he had a big role in Columbus' biggest playoff successes.

In Winnipeg, he and Scheifele were a 1A/1B. And PLD was the most dominant player for long stretches on a team that had Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor, and Ehlers.

What happened in Columbus and how it ended? You do your due diligence. Habs have deep connections in Columbus. Hughes and Jarmo are good friends that have known each other for very long. And MSL has a deep connection with Torts. In fact, MSL worked with PLD when he was a PP consultant.
Still, at the end of the day, Dubois is a 60 point player. On most teams, wouldn’t that make him a 2nd line C?

If some team deploys a player a certain way, it could also be because they have no one else to fill the role. That’s why his deployment with the the two teams he’s been with is not a representative sample IMHO.

McPhees Moustache

Dec 11, 2021
Calgary
Still, at the end of the day, Dubois is a 60 point player. On most teams, wouldn’t that make him a 2nd line C?

If some team deploys a player a certain way, it could also be because they have no one else to fill the role. That’s why his deployment with the the two teams he’s been with is not a representative sample IMHO.
I agree - Suzuki was a 1C for us last year - on most other teams he'd have been a 2C
He may yet become one but was pretty much in that position by default last year

Reactions: Runner77

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Puljujarvi can skate. He can do just about everything - except he struggles to finish and be physical. Which kind of leaves you pretty limited as a 6’4, 200 plus pound winger.

If you could convince him to play with a degree of nastiness, he’d be able to get more room and do some damage. Has all the tools to be a superstar, except the brains and the drive. I suspect he’s one of those guys that peaked when he was 18, and was never able or driven enough to make the next step.

Besides we don’t need a project winger, we have about 5 too many already.

...yeah...but something about PoolParty has always intrigued me...the comparable in recent NHL history that I see more than a bit of in him...Valeri Nichushkin...big, strong, bull moose of a kid that hasn't quite figured out the finishing part yet and doesn't completely use his physical tools to his advantage...I think Marty might be able to get through to the big lug and lessen the noise going on between his ears, making him more moldable & far more productive...it would most certainly have to be out a winger or two to move him in, but I see no risk and mucho reward here if the cards are played correctly...just a thought that's been swimming around me noggin' for a bit...

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

In Columbus, he was their 1C. He was their 1C when they swept Tampa in 2019. He was their 1C when they beat the Leafs in the Play-In. He had great players with him there. He didn't do it all on his own. But those great players also had PLD. And he had played big role in Columbus' biggest playoff successes.

Well Mark Scheifele played more than 2 minutes more than PLD per game and outscored him by 10 points despite playing 14 less games. So that seems to indicate to me that Mark Scheifele was the #1 center, wouldn't you agree?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Well Mark Scheifele played more than 2 minutes more than PLD per game and outscored him by 10 points despite playing 14 less games. So that seems to indicate to me that Mark Scheifele was the #1 center, wouldn't you agree?

The guy who watched them every game (Murat Ates) said PLD was the most dominant player for long stretches. Even when Scheifele was there.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The guy who watched them every game (Murat Ates) said PLD was the most dominant player for long stretches. Even when Scheifele was there.
PLD was the 1C during those 14 games, but Scheifele is the best player when he is on his game, which he was not always last year.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Man Bergevin's cap management was catastrophic.

Gallagher, Drouin, Byron, Armia, Hoffman, Savard. That's nearly 27 million in deadweight without considering the contracts of Price and Weber. Would have been great to take on prospects and picks for other teams bad contracts instead of having to trade our own.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I would add to this by saying that Scheifele faced tougher opposition then Dubois.

I think both did well in their respective roles but I don’t see these two players as equals.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

Gallagher, Drouin, Byron, Armia, Hoffman, Savard. That's nearly 27 million in deadweight without considering the contracts of Price and Weber.

...maybe his plan was to make the contracts heavier in order to press them and add muscle mass...sounds like a Bargain Bin thing to do...

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Maybe he's in love with PLD, which matters not to me. Still the fact that Scheifele played 2 minutes more per game and outscored PLD by 10 points in 14 less games means that Scheifele was... The #1 Center. Which made PLD what? A #2C last year. Is that not all accurate?

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016
Sometimes I wonder what Marc would have done to clear cap spaces after signing all those contracts. After seeing how Huges has dumped a fair share of contracts and still being so close to the caps almost confirms he never had a clue.

Obviously I much rather hugo at the helm during these tough time but would have been justice to see him scramble with the mess he created

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

Gallagher, Drouin, Byron, Armia, Hoffman, Savard. That's nearly 27 million in deadweight without considering the contracts of Price and Weber. Would have been great to take on prospects and picks for other teams bad contracts instead of having to trade our own.
And that was the major issue with MB.

His trading, not so bad.

Vision + HUGE bloated contracts were truly awful. He gave out extensions to fringe top 9 players acting like we were Tampa trying to keep a core together.

French media looking for hits.
I dunno man, his agent came out and talked and Murat Yates also corroborated the rumours.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
...yeah...but something about PoolParty has always intrigued me...the comparable in recent NHL history that I see more than a bit of in him...Valeri Nichushkin...big, strong, bull moose of a kid that hasn't quite figured out the finishing part yet and doesn't completely use his physical tools to his advantage...I think Marty might be able to get through to the big lug and lessen the noise going on between his ears, making him more moldable & far more productive...it would most certainly have to be out a winger or two to move him in, but I see no risk and mucho reward here if the cards are played correctly...just a thought that's been swimming around me noggin' for a bit...
If you could crack the cement surrounding the membrane, and if we weren’t so up against the cap and if we didn’t already have 5 wingers with the same issues I’d be with you. There is obviously a ton of potential in there… big body (and you can’t teach size), and at one time was an all world talent for his age group.

But since he’s never been accused of having attended Mensa meetings, I don’t know how easy it would be to jumpstart his medulla oblongata… I’m not sure how long MSL’s cable is, or if it’s powerful enough :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
If you could crack the cement surrounding the membrane, and if we weren’t so up against the cap and if we didn’t already have 5 wingers with the same issues I’d be with you. There is obviously a ton of potential in there… big body (and you can’t teach size), and at one time was an all world talent for his age group.

But since he’s never been accused of having attended Mensa meetings, I don’t know how easy it would be to jumpstart his medulla oblongata… I’m not sure how long MSL’s cable is, or if it’s powerful enough :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
If it were really supposed to be Dubois for 13th OA, why wouldn’t it have fallen through ?? For Montreal to trade Romanov for the 13th in the first place, they must have known for sure about the second trade. Both trades happened at same time, so they never would have went through with the first one knowing that they really wanted PLD and that trade had fallen apart. They would have just called both off….

I don’t get these rumours

It never was Dubois for the 13th. Hughes wanted Dach and called Chicago around 3 weeks before the draft, they asked for picks so Hughes had to find a team willing to trade their high pick so the deal could be made.

Listen to Hughes presser after the first day of the draft, Dach was always their target

1:00 to 1:50

2:00 to 3:30

WG

Sep 9, 2008

His trading, not so bad.

Vision + HUGE bloated contracts were truly awful. He gave out extensions to fringe top 9 players acting like we were Tampa trying to keep a core together.
Coupled with the craptastic drafting and development job. If the team had been even mediocre in that aspect you can avoid some of these deals because you have a guy ready to jump in from the AHL to do Armia's job, or Hoffman's or Savard's.

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004

His trading, not so bad.

I dunno man, his agent came out and talked and Murat Yates also corroborated the rumours.
I think this whole thing was cooked up by his agent.

He got his buddies in the French press sucked in and you know they will fall over themselves to report anything that involves a French player.

I dont even think there were any serious talks between us and Winnipeg.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022

He got his buddies in the French press sucked in and you know they will fall over themselves to report anything that involves a French player.

That's what i think also.

They might have checked in to see what was jets price for him but i don't think there was any serious talk.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

For what purpose though?

To squeeze Winnipeg for an extra million or two? I think that agents can use leaks for their clients advantage.

Seems like there is 0 purpose to doing this other than forcing a trade to MTL.

It’s rare that a player will go scorched earth as a negotiation tactic.

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
For what purpose though?

To squeeze Winnipeg for an extra million or two? I think that agents can use leaks for their clients advantage.

Maybe to get Winnipeg to offer an 8 year deal. Who knows ?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It never was Dubois for the 13th. Hughes wanted Dach and called Chicago around 3 weeks before the draft, they asked for picks so Hughes had to find a team willing to trade their high pick so the deal could be made.

Listen to Hughes presser after the first day of the draft, Dach was always their target

1:00 to 1:50

2:00 to 3:30

So refreshing to have reason for confidence in the management.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
For what purpose though?

Dubois seems to have committed himself to either his QO of $6.0M or an offer sheet at this point.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Maybe to get Winnipeg to offer an 8 year deal. Who knows ?
There is 0% chance Winnipeg is interested in bringing back PLD on a 8 year deal after the media fiasco since the draft.

Players use the nuclear route when they want out.

Dubois seems to have committed himself to either his QO of $6.0M or an offer sheet at this point.
He won’t accept his QO, and the Habs won’t offersheet. So they are stuck at an impass.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
Maybe he's in love with PLD, which matters not to me. Still the fact that Scheifele played 2 minutes more per game and outscored PLD by 10 points in 14 less games means that Scheifele was... The #1 Center. Which made PLD what? A #2C last year. Is that not all accurate?
Mike Johnson was also mentioning that PLD was arguably the Jets best player with Connor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad