HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DubDub

Jul 11, 2017
People were saying we needed to score more goals so he went and got a goal scorer, i understand the move even if it's a dumb one to be honest. He just didn't thought about the fact that you get a guy like that when you have a pretty complete team with playmakers.
He basically got him for the PP. Still a dumb move considering what he was paying him . He was buried on the depth chart , the contract never made any sense imo.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
First he's quit on 2 teams so his motivation is in question.

Second he's a second line player and the Habs suck and are rebuilding - so he's not very important.

Plus he promises to be expensive to acquire and expensive to sign.

I know the exact moment PLD wanted out in Columbus and that was the play-in series vs Toronto when Torts & PLD went at each other on the bench. He was a 21 year old kid who was one of the best players in that series and Torts singled him out. His trade request was made that summer.

Then they shipped him to Winnipeg, who has one of the worst dressing rooms in hockey (so rumoured). It's not like he's asked to be traded from 2 great organizations.

The Torts-PLD moment:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Edmonton is up against the cap. How can they afford 4.5M?

Only way I see Edmonton fit Hoffman's 4.5M is if they send Barrie the other way.

Both Hoffman and Barrie have 2 years left on their deals at 4.5M. So the money would be the same. One team addresses their wing depth and the other gets the RD to replace Petry.

Barrie was their 3RD in the playoffs. Evan Bouchard and Codi Ceci were ahead of him in the playoffs. They might prefer to let go of a 3rd pairing D making 4.5M and bring in a winger for the same cap and term, which is an area they want to address.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Hoffman is really one of Bergevin's dumbest acquisitions.

He was paid 4.5 million/year to be a winger behind Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, Caulfield, ... So somewhere in the bottom six with Lehkonen, Armia, Byron, and Drouin.
Do you think MB had any idea about how cap management works, or was he simply handing out contracts like candy on Halloween?

I bet he wouldnt even understand how to read cap-friendly

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I know the exact moment PLD wanted out in Columbus and that was the play-in series vs Toronto when Torts & PLD went at each other on the bench. He was a 21 year old kid who was one of the best players in that series and Torts singled him out. His trade request was made that summer.

Then they shipped him to Winnipeg, who has one of the worst dressing rooms in hockey (so rumoured). It's not like he's asked to be traded from 2 great organizations.

The Torts-PLD moment:

I get pushing a young guy to try and be great, but Torts seems to think he’s JK Simmons in Whiplash sometimes. You think you can uncover greatness but in the end you’re only trying to serve your own narcissism in a violent way.

PLD only deserved positive reinforcement in that series. He was a monster.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
First he's quit on 2 teams so his motivation is in question.

Second he's a second line player and the Habs suck and are rebuilding - so he's not very important.

Plus he promises to be expensive to acquire and expensive to sign.

He didn't quit on Winnipeg. He has the right to let them know he has no intention of signing an extension with them. That's not quitting on them. That's giving them a heads up.

Also, he is not a second line player. He was Columbus' 1C and as the Jets Athletic beat reporter Murat Ates said on Marinaro's podcast, he and Scheifele were 1A and 1B. And he also said for most of the season, PLD was the most dominant player on the Jets. That doesn't sound like a second line player.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
a lot of other teams are probably saying the same thing about Hoffman - there aren't a lot of teams looking to compete this year that have 5.5M to spend on a one dimensional scoring 2nd/3rd line winger
rather have Hoffman then , Barrie is useless and his production is just because of Mcdavid and Drai

Edit : The last thing Edmonton needs are wingers.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Habs should look at bringing Tyler Pitlick back for Laval. Big body, decent wheels and good at being a tweener of AHL and NHL 4th line.

Reactions: jrom

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
How did he quit on Winnipeg? By scoring 28 g and 60 pts ?
You’re confusing quitting and not wanting to signing long term with the jets
He hardly quit on the jets he simply doesn’t wanna spend the prime of his career in Winnipeg
I would say you're confusing not wanting to sign long-term with leaking information to force a trade

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
He didn't quit on Winnipeg. He has the right to let them know he has no intention of signing an extension with them. That's not quitting on them. That's giving them a heads up.

Also, he is not a second line player. He was Columbus' 1C and as the Jets Athletic beat reporter Murat Anes said on Marinaro's podcast, he and Scheifele were 1A and 1B. And he also said for most of the season, PLD was the most dominant player on the Jets. That doesn't sound like a second line player.
You're entitled to your opinion Adam. I'm entitled to mine. My opinion is that PLD is a second-liner who has twice now tried to force a trade from his team

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree with your goal. If Dubois goes to UFA, we decide THEN what to do, not alter our plans NOW and wait for him.

While I like the idea of locking in a 2C as we build, and am not opposed to forgetting about a focus on Bedard, it isn't even my first priority. My first priority is a 1D.

I’m flexible. But we don’t know what the jets are really asking so we can only guess.

I’m ok with letting them drown with Dubois. However, I’m not thinking about Bedard until December or January.

100% agree we need a #1D who really turns the needle on the PP and is not a liability in our own

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Also, he is not a second line player. He was Columbus' 1C and as the Jets Athletic beat reporter Murat Ates said on Marinaro's podcast, he and Scheifele were 1A and 1B. And he also said for most of the season, PLD was the most dominant player on the Jets. That doesn't sound like a second line player.
Would PLD be a 1st line center on most teams? That would provide a fairer appreciation rather than just looking at how he was used by the two teams he was on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad