HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Suzuki was one of the top defensive forwards in the NHL last year. I heard PLD was a below average defensive player. If that's true, then Suzuki is quite a bit better than PLD

...PLD is not below average defensively...most of the time...his consistency and perceived effort level make him look like a Rock Star some games and a pylon others...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I agree that getting him for free is smartest, but if there’s a trade to be made where we move some cap space and only give up a decent prospect, you make it. The core can grow together and you have a focus going forward for the drafts.
I hope you’re right but how do we get to that point when Chevaldayoff is asking for Suzuki? Sure, aim high and settle for less but that’s way high.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I believe players with arbitration rights have until tomorrow at 5PM ET to file it. PLD has arb rights. His QO is $5M (since he makes 1M or more, his QO is 100% his current deal).

It will be curious to see if he will file it and hope the arbitrator can reward him a higher AAV and Jets opt not to accept it and he becomes a UFA.

However, according to CapFriendly, Jets have about $15M in cap space. So I see them signing him since they have the room.

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
Suzuki was one of the top defensive forwards in the NHL last year. I heard PLD was a below average defensive player. If that's true, then Suzuki is quite a bit better than PLD
Sounds like you don't watch many Winnipeg games, right? They bring different skillset and Dubois is a really effective player when well matched... Just ask Matthews.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
...PLD is not below average defensively...most of the time...his consistency and perceived effort level make him look like a Rock Star some games and a pylon others...
Ok I just checked his stats - he plays zero PK - I doubt he's a plus defensive forward. He was the 5th most used forward (total TOI) on the Jets. I don't think he's the type of guy to lock up long term. If the offense goes south you'll have a dud.

Last edited:

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I hope you’re right but how do we get to that point when Chevaldayoff is asking for Suzuki? Sure, aim high and settle for less but that’s way high.
If he’s asking for Suzuki it’s an obvious no deal for me. Same with Caufield, same with Slaf, and same with OUR first next year.

I’m jaded when it comes to prospects so guys like Guhle, Mailloux whatever I’d be willing to part with depends on the rest of the deal. Same with FLA’s 1st.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Sounds like you don't watch many Winnipeg games, right? They bring different skillset and Dubois is a really effective player when well matched... Just ask Matthews.
I watched him a bit the year they traded for him because of all the buzz. He didn't look very good to me. But I remember him being strong in Columbus in the playoffs one year, so I guess he's inconsistent.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
...Dubois is not what this team needs right now nor is it where we should be looking...we're not going to be a competitive team and PLD will cost good young assets that we've collected over the last couple of seasons that are just the right age and just the right players for when we will (hopefully) start becoming competitive again...if he wants in two years from now, great sign here...unless Chevy wants to get fleeced in another trade by sending PLD here for our aging players who won't be part of the core here soon, HuGo should take the hands-off approach to Dubois...or it's a Bargain Bin move all over again...
Thinking the boys, including Mol$on would feel the heat from the media and certain fans to get their hands on a kid who actually wants to play for the habs....
This could actually be what is going on right now..................in all honesty as much as I hate to say it, another year at the bottom, and drafting high again is what the team needs.

The media in Montreal would never admit this.............therin lies the problem.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...every player can be effective in their favored matchups, that means next to nothing...and I watch alot of Jets games, Dubois is not a "great" defensive player or even a "good" one, imo; he's average and inconsistent...as @Harry Kakalovich pointed out, he doesn't play PK and I imagine that's for a reason...

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I’m going off of the “fact” or “rumour” that he only wants to sign long term with the Habs.

Also Dach + Anderson + Dvorak would be a ridiculously high price to pay for PLD in the first place, makes no sense.

We don’t need PLD and we certainly don’t need to give up any assets for him. Dach might end up becoming the superior centerman.

We’re better off just staying the course and letting him fall to us for free if the stars line up for us in 2 years.

It is a high price to pay but it frees up money to sign PLD long term immediately, let's say same contract as Suzuki. He could get more in 2 years.

As for PLD vs Dach, it's more or less the same gamble as #13 vs Dach. But, to be honest, I'm not sure I would trade 2 NHL centers for PLD. That's not exactly the trade I'd be willing to make. I'd rather keep one of them as 3rd C.

In the end, the price for the trade will likely go down a bit while Petry may not go up.

If it does come to a right price, I would do the trade. Winnipeg probably needs players signed long term (+ prospects) so they don't want to leave in 2 years.

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
...Dubois is not what this team needs right now nor is it where we should be looking...we're not going to be a competitive team and PLD will cost good young assets that we've collected over the last couple of seasons that are just the right age and just the right players for when we will (hopefully) start becoming competitive again...if he wants in two years from now, great sign here...unless Chevy wants to get fleeced in another trade by sending PLD here for our aging players who won't be part of the core here soon, HuGo should take the hands-off approach to Dubois...or it's a Bargain Bin move all over again...
Those assets we collected over the years will never be as good as Dubois. As if a barely 24YO doesn't fit our core group lol... it's nothing like a Bargain bin move. PLD is already our overall second best player and will only get better in the city he wants to play for.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I bet digging into the PLD situation helped KH lock in on Kirby Dach because he fits MUCh better into the Habs timeline, and KH will have much more control over the contracts, and he was probably cheaper to acquire on top of all that.

Reactions: Andrewcoursol

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
In 3 years Armia, Petry, Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov, and Byron will all be off the books - plus Eddy, Dvorak, and Savard. Plus we can always buy Gally's last 2 years out.

There will be plenty of cap space to sign slaf, 2023 1st rounder, and a number 1 Dman.
I understand where your coming from. But my point is dedicating so much cap to just forwards means your a top heavy team. Our bottom two lines will end up shit. Our D past the top 2 will be shit. It's hard.

Look at what the Leaf's are having to do every year.

A Loyal Demidog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Why don’t we just offer sheet PLD $6,302,230 for 2 years. This does 1 of 2 things: we get Dubois for FLA’s 1st and a 3rd round pick, or Jets keep Dubois till UFA. Win-win for us.

Obviously, we better sign all our RFAs ASAP in coming years lol. Sign Dach before making the offer sheet too lol!

McPhees Moustache

Dec 11, 2021
Calgary
I believe players with arbitration rights have until tomorrow at 5PM ET to file it. PLD has arb rights. His QO is $5M (since he makes 1M or more, his QO is 100% his current deal).

It will be curious to see if he will file it and hope the arbitrator can reward him a higher AAV and Jets opt not to accept it and he becomes a UFA.

However, according to CapFriendly, Jets have about $15M in cap space. So I see them signing him since they have the room.
I could be wrong but I thought his QO was based on last year's salary (6.65M) not his contract AAV?

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Why don’t we just offer sheet PLD $6,302,230 for 2 years. This does 1 of 2 things: we get Dubois for FLA’s 1st and a 3rd round pick, or Jets keep Dubois till UFA. Win-win for us.

Obviously, we better sign all our RFAs ASAP in coming years lol. Sign Dach before making the offer sheet too lol!
Do we get to pick which 1st round pick we lose? Or does it have to be Montreal's actual pick

Reactions: A Loyal Demidog

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Those assets we collected over the years will never be as good as Dubois. As if a barely 24YO doesn't fit our core group lol... it's nothing like a Bargain bin move. PLD is already our overall second best player and will only get better in the city he wants to play for.
Thing is all his cheap contract years are gone. Even getting him now, guys are saying 7.5M for 8 years - that's a super hefty contract which would probably be immovable if PLD becomes a 45 point scorer or gets surpassed by another C and slides down the depth chart. Plus you probably have to pay pretty serious assets for the privilege to sign him to that albatross contract. And probably his best years will be done by 27ish and the Habs won't even be good until then.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...so you're Nostradamus are you??...damn, welcome to our Habs Community...you're pretty famous, eh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad