HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #79

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Dubois made 6.65M last year - he's taking a pay cut to sign here for 7 years?
It's not the Habs fault Dubois was overpaid last year (note the AAV was $5M for his 2 year contract).

Yeah, for 7 years I thought $6.5M (slightly front-loaded). Could be 5 years at $7.0M instead. Some forwards decline at 29 after 10 years in the league, so slightly less risky versus having to perhaps pay more to get him again at 30 and 31.

Reactions: McPhees Moustache

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Just noticed the latest Marinaro podcast posted today on my YT front page with Murat Ates from The Athletic. I didn't watch it but the headline for the video said Jets would want Suzuki for Dubois.

So I guess we'll see if you still really want to sign with the Habs in 2 years then PLD, if you do end up testing UFA in 2 years.

Jets can “want” whatever they want. It doesn’t mean they’re going to get it. They have no leverage and PLDs value will drop the further this goes. Teams aren’t going to give Suzuki level talent to a player who says he wants to play for another team and the team he wants to play for doesn’t need to give the farm for a player they’ll get in 2 years for nothing. It’s a tough spot for Jets and the best they’ll do is Dvo (very good center), a good young player and a pick/prospect. That’s a more than fair package for PLD at this moment.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
For PLD, I’d prefer it if they just flipped Dach and added a sweetener if necessary, rather than move Dvorak with a good asset (Anderson or Guhle or 1st).

Dvo doesn’t have the upside of Dach, but he slots into the appropriate spot on the 3rd line. Unlike with Dach, you know what you’re getting. He has good faceoff numbers and can take defensive responsibilities from NS and PLD.

NS, PLD, Dvo down the middle is solid, and it wouldn’t create another hole.
Dach plus a B- Prospect (Ylonen or RHP) plus Drouin (one year cap dump to equalize cap for this year) versus Dubois? OK, if he signs for 5-7 years at $7-$6.5M

Reactions: Ozmodiar

McPhees Moustache

Dec 11, 2021
Calgary
It's not the Habs fault Dubois was overpaid last year (note the AAV was $5M for his 2 year contract).

Yeah, for 7 years I thought $6.5M (slightly front-loaded). Could be 5 years at $7.0M instead. Some forwards decline at 29 after 10 years in the league, so slightly less risky versus having to perhaps pay more to get him again at 30 and 31.
I don't see him taking less than what he made last year - don't think there's any chance he signs for less than 7M/yr on a long-term deal. Likely something closer to the Suzuki contract

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Dubois was not overpaid, the market price for young top-6 centers is astronomical.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Ok, but he’ll want Suzuki money or close.
Tell him he’s 2nd line center and will make a little less than Suzuki. If he really wants to play here, I doubt he’s going to play hardball with contract as long as it’s fair, and that’s pretty fair to me.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It’s interesting that poor Dvorak will have completed the reverse move of playing for the Coyotes before going to Winnipeg if all these PLD proposals are an indication of what would take place.

The guy would have played in a crap hole in Arizona, in the worst season of the Habs and then possibly Winnipeg when they are in freefall. 😁 No wonder he has that face expression of being perpetually depressed.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Ok, but he’ll want Suzuki money or close.
Have to be careful. A contending team would need to have the following players ahead of PLD:
Suzuki
Caufield
Slafkovsky
Makar-Hughes type (need to find)
Guhle (McDonagh 2D type)

And then just behind PLD as 2C, #1 goalie, two more strong second line players and a 3D.

Can't have 10 guys averaging $7.5M each

Reactions: Benstheman

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
I can't see Dubois not wanting at least Suzuki money. Nothing about his history suggests a player who would take a team friendly deal. There's definitely teams out there that would pay him ~8M.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I am pretty sure if Dubs wants to be a Hab so bad he is going to take a team friendly deal. He wants out of Winnipeg so badly. I am going to guess its going to be 7x8. Slightly under Suzuki and he is still making a decent chunk of change. Also don't forget about all the other things he can get outside of hockey in terms of commercial deals and what not.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
Why do we need Suzuki, Dubois, Dach and Dvorak?
you need them for depth.
Dvo - good consistent 3rd liner, with face -off ability .
Dubois - either is other teams focus regarding the best checking line, which frees up Suzuki , or vice versa
Dach- wild card, hopefully comes around and realizes potential, if so than this team is as deep at centre as any team with this line up,
Evans- another bottom 6 player,who can give you consistancy.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Yes, that's the whole point. Then the Habs can sign him at a somewhat reasonable pricetag which would make him a free agent at 31 when he's barely started declining. Easy to let him go.

If we wait till he's a free agent at 26, he'll cost more on the cap and will be signed until 33 when his decline is more underway.

And I'd definitely ship Dach to Winnipeg if that's what it takes - dude will never score as much as PLD.

I wanted to see Dach but at this point you do that deal for sure.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Things were going on a good trajectory until Dubois and his agent threw a monkey wrench in the whole thing. Wait the two years to UFA at this point If it’s true that Chevaldayoff expects a Suzuki coming back and won’t budge, then let him get Trouba’d in 2 years.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I'd offer two packages.
Dvorak and Dach
or
Dvorak, Panthers 1st, Kidney

Dvorak and Dach = about $7M. Hate to trade Dach and rather the 2nd package but the 1st package fits in terms of cap space.

Jets say no to both packages? My feelings are not hurt and you can drown with him and his fast track to UFA.

Deal is contingent on Dubois with an extension (7x7). People saying we can get him for free in 2 years are not realizing that he is 2 years older (not a huge issue but worth nothing) and he also might be asking for $9M+ by that time. Cap for 24/25 is going to be around $90M IMO.

To be honest, I want the 7x7 deal now. If the Jets sign him to a 2 year contract, I might pass on Dubois. Why? Cause I have little interest in negotiating a deal later with a higher cap. If he is asking for big money now? Forget about the entire idea of Dubois. This is about coming home on a fair deal and a trade package we can afford. If that all falls through, so be it

Age 24-30 at $7M
vs
Age 26-32 at $9M+

Sounds good to me. Although it would pain me to give up two centers. I would do Dvorak or Dach, Panthers' pick and one or two prospects. We have plenty of D prospects.

Things were going on a good trajectory until Dubois and his agent threw a monkey wrench in the whole thing. Wait the two years to UFA at this point if Chevaldayoff wants Suzuki — let him get Trouba’d.

The only time I would trade Suzuki would be for him and a package for Draistl.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Things were going on a good trajectory until Dubois and his agent threw a monkey wrench in the whole thing. Wait the two years to UFA at this point If it’s true that Chevaldayoff expects a Suzuki coming back and won’t budge, then let him get Trouba’d in 2 years.

Keep thinking about Dubois' dad who's working for the Jets......don't know if that could have some effect, negative or positive.

For the Habs it's pretty simple in this situation: Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky, Guhle, Barron and our top 10 protected 1st round pick are off the table......everything else is available.

Now if they want one of these players, then it's not worth it for the Habs, we should pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad